Luke Cage Vs Winter Soldier

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TethAdamTheRock
1.No Gear
2.All Gear
3.Arm Wrestle

TheVaultDweller
Round 1 - I'd give it to Luke in a tough fight. Bucky is a more skilled fighter, but I feel like Luke's overall strength/striking and durability will get him over the line.

Round 2 - Winter Soldier takes this comfortably. He has enough heavy explosives in his arsenal so that it would be goodnight for Luke.

Round 3 - I honestly don't know. Based on respective feats, the metal arm and Luke's arms are pretty close to each other.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Round 1 - I'd give it to Luke in a tough fight. Bucky is a more skilled fighter, but I feel like Luke's overall strength/striking and durability will get him over the line.

Round 2 - Winter Soldier takes this comfortably. He has enough heavy explosives in his arsenal so that it would be goodnight for Luke.

Round 3 - I honestly don't know. Based on respective feats, the metal arm and Luke's arms are pretty close to each other.

Agreed. 1 to Luke, 2 to Bucky, 3 I'd give to Luke but I can see either way.

FrothByte
I'd give 3 to Bucky because although Luke is probably just as strong as the robotic arm, Luke can still get tired whereas Bucky's robo arm probably doesnt.

Darth Thor
^ Assuming of course it's a left handed arm wrestle lol

FrothByte
Originally posted by Darth Thor
^ Assuming of course it's a left handed arm wrestle lol

Lol. Well a left handed arm wrestle is probably the only way it becomes a fair match.

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by FrothByte
I'd give 3 to Bucky because although Luke is probably just as strong as the robotic arm, Luke can still get tired whereas Bucky's robo arm probably doesnt. Maybe getting separated from the body will tire the roboarm a little.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Maybe getting separated from the body will tire the roboarm a little.

You've managed to turn this into something that should be in a Monty Python sketch.

TethAdamTheRock
Did he ever get his new robo arm?

Robtard
Cage
Buck
Cage (Due to leverage and the fact that Bucky's body isn't robotic, cos arm-wrestling involves more than just arm strength)

Henry_Pym
I think there is a serious argument for Bucky winning round one, I don't think Cage could land anything.

Bucky drops him quickly.

Probably Cage, he seems a bit stronger.

TheVaultDweller
Don't see why Cage can't tag him. Bucky is not untouchable in fights, and Cage isn't some unskilled mook either. Winter Soldier would land more hits, obviously, but only his robo limb is a serious threat, whereas any of Luke's limbs would rock him.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by TethAdamTheRock
Did he ever get his new robo arm?

Not yet. But, given that we last saw him in Wakanda, people are hoping his new arm will be vibranium.

FrothByte
Don't see why Cage can't tag him. Bucky is not untouchable in fights, and Cage isn't some unskilled mook either. Winter Soldier would land more hits, obviously, but only his robo limb is a serious threat, whereas any of Luke's limbs would rock him.

If we consider Bucky to be roughly equal to Cap in strength and Cap was strong enough to rock Ironman with his bare fists then Cage isn't no selling Bucky's regular hits either.

And Bucky was nearly untouchable in h2h unless confronted with other fighters with enhanced speed and agility as well (Cap and BP) or had mobility advantages (Falcon) or had a huge advantage in strength (IM).

TheVaultDweller
If we consider Bucky to be roughly equal to Cap in strength and Cap was strong enough to rock Ironman with his bare fists then Cage isn't no selling Bucky's regular hits either.

And Bucky was nearly untouchable in h2h unless confronted with other fighters with enhanced speed and agility as well (Cap and BP) or had mobility advantages (Falcon) or had a huge advantage in strength (IM).

Cap only did any actual notable damage with his shield. And, besides, we don't need to look at Steve there. We see how Bucky fared in that same fight, and only his metal arm made any real impact on Tony's armour. And Iron Man, in return, beat the holy hell out of Bucky. He was bloody, battered, missing an arm, and needed Steve's help to leave the battlefield. Bottom line is, with the exception of the metal arm, hits from Luke to Bucky are going to do more damage than hits from Bucky to Luke.

Bucky has been tagged by people without enhanced speed before (Tony, BW, Agent 13). And they aren't as strong or tough as Luke either, who can resort to things like bullrushing tactics as well. And the CA:CW Iron Man suit did not show strength levels that were hugely greater than Cap or Bucky. And Cage isn't the absolute fastest guy around, but he isn't slow either, and has shown that he can still keep up with more nimble opponents, such as the time where he faced that guy who was flipping around, Batroc style, and casually caught and tossed him over his head.

Anyway, I feel like we will get a better impression of Cage's fighting speed/skill when The Defenders comes out, because he will be tussling with the Hand, have a scuffle with Iron Fist, and quite possibly go up against Black Sky Elektra at some point.

Darth Thor

Bucky has been tagged by people without enhanced speed before (Tony, BW, Agent 13). And they aren't as strong or tough as Luke either,

Aside from Tony, those combatants are faster, more agile and more skilled than Cage.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Aside from Tony, those combatants are faster, more agile and more skilled than Cage.

Agent 13 has virtually no feats of note, so her capabilities are mostly implied by her SHIELD status. Also, they can't take more than one or two hits from Bucky without going down, unlike Luke who, as I pointed out, can do things like bullrush Bucky. And, as I already pointed out, Luke has tussled with people who were faster and more agile than him and still tagged them. And, again, Cage himself is not unskilled. He was a boxer, Marine (and MCU Marine training is pretty formidable, if a character like the Punisher is anything to go by), cop and prison fight champion. He's taken out fodder while going pretty much untouched before (such as the boxing gym fight, Cottonmouth's club fight etc.), despite the fact that he doesn't really need to worry about being hit. And my point was also more that it doesn't actually take enhanced speed or a massive strength advantage to tag him.

I mean do you think either Black Widow or Agent 13 are so above Luke in terms of speed and skill that they could stalemate him in an H2H fight by avoiding all of his blows?

FrothByte
Well the way I see it, if you removed Luke's enhanced strength and durability then he wouldn't stand a chance against Black Widow or Agent 13. Military training and some boxing background might make you a formidable fighter in the real world but in the fictional MCU universe that just makes you fodder for high end SHIELD agents.

Whereas even if you removed Bucky's enhancement he'd still have his Hydra training which should make him around the level of top SHIELD agents.

TheVaultDweller
Except all Punisher has is military training (the same kind as Luke in fact), yet the guy can hang with the likes of Daredevil, who was trained by the leader of the Chaste, and can fodderize groups of trained ninjas. And nameless SHIELD and Hydra agents have also gone down pretty easily to more notable characters before. So, judging purely on supposed credentials doesn't always give the most accurate representation, as skill levels can still fluctuate wildly from person to person. Like I said, I do consider Bucky more skilled, but I don't see him as being totally untouchable by Luke either.

But I am fine with agreeing to disagree on the topic for now. It won't be too long until we get a better indicator. As mentioned previously, The Defenders should give us a better impression of where Luke stands. From the looks of the trailer, he was capable of tagging Iron Fist just fine, but we won't know the proper context until the show comes out.

Darth Thor
^ Pretty sure Punisher is an exceptional case.

FrothByte
Except all Punisher has is military training (the same kind as Luke in fact), yet the guy can hang with the likes of Daredevil, who was trained by the leader of the Chaste, and can fodderize groups of trained ninjas. And nameless SHIELD and Hydra agents have also gone down pretty easily to more notable characters before. So, judging purely on supposed credentials doesn't always give the most accurate representation, as skill levels can still fluctuate wildly from person to person. Like I said, I do consider Bucky more skilled, but I don't see him as being totally untouchable by Luke either.

But I am fine with agreeing to disagree on the topic for now. It won't be too long until we get a better indicator. As mentioned previously, The Defenders should give us a better impression of where Luke stands. From the looks of the trailer, he was capable of tagging Iron Fist just fine, but we won't know the proper context until the show comes out.

True, good call on the Punisher. Still if we do go by just plain skill shown on screen and not base it on pure credentials then Cage doesn't really have h2h feats that will put him on level with top SHIELD agents. IIRC, back before he had powers he was having trouble taking on 2-3 thugs. Punisher took out a whole bunch of prisoners, unarmed.

Anyway, my point here is that Bucky's skill is quite a ways above Cage's who, for all his supposed training and experience, still fights like a brawler. And as long as Bucky fights smart he should be able to avoid most shots from Cage. The few that do land Bucky should be strong enough to either shrug them off or deflect enough that they don't do a lot of damage.

The problem comes in if Bucky decides to fight head on like he usually does, Cage's durability will eventually win the fight for him.

Also just something I'd like to note, Cage seems to get tired faster than Bucky.

TheVaultDweller
True, good call on the Punisher. Still if we do go by just plain skill shown on screen and not base it on pure credentials then Cage doesn't really have h2h feats that will put him on level with top SHIELD agents. IIRC, back before he had powers he was having trouble taking on 2-3 thugs. Punisher took out a whole bunch of prisoners, unarmed.

Anyway, my point here is that Bucky's skill is quite a ways above Cage's who, for all his supposed training and experience, still fights like a brawler. And as long as Bucky fights smart he should be able to avoid most shots from Cage. The few that do land Bucky should be strong enough to either shrug them off or deflect enough that they don't do a lot of damage.

The problem comes in if Bucky decides to fight head on like he usually does, Cage's durability will eventually win the fight for him.

Also just something I'd like to note, Cage seems to get tired faster than Bucky.

Even if you want to label him a brawler, his skill was still good enough to allow him to take on multiple thugs without getting tagged once. He was blocking, dodging or catching their blows with no apparent effort. Same with the clearly trained MA who was flipping around yet still got owned. And, as you yourself just pointed out, Bucky isn't like Cap. He likes to get in your face and fight head on, which plays to Luke's strengths. And CIS is on unless stated otherwise, which means he will fight like he usually does.

And I am not sure about the getting tired faster thing. He recovered pretty quickly after his fight with Diamondback. It was just that Diamondback's punches were rocking him at the time, because Diamondback hits extremely hard (he had comparable strength/striking power to Luke himself), and Luke literally had to let him wail on him repeatedly to expend all the energy in the suit. He was still standing and ready to go when he laid Diamondback out. Sure, he was breathing a bit harder than he was when it started, but it was hardly like he was down and out. He literally just wiped the bit of blood off his lip and strolled off with Claire. I mean do you think Bucky would be breathing any easier if he had to stand there and let Diamondback hit him repeatedly without fighting back? He'd likely be in worse shape, considering he doesn't actually have Luke's durability. And I don't recall Luke shown getting tired at any other point in the show, except when he was suffering from Judas bullet wounds.

Also, be glad I am not H1. He would probably have argued that Cage's punches come at 100+mph because of how far he can send people with clean hits. Nonsense of course, but he has used that kind of argument before.

h1a8

You a fool. Cap can't do shit to IM. Not even a scratch. Knocking someone back a little due to collision has nothing to do with damage. Cap can punch IM 200 times with no damage done. Cap would break his hands actually.

And Cap >>>>>Bucky except for metal arm.

Anyway Cage grabs Bucky then it is over.
Cage wins all 3.

h1a8
Even if you want to label him a brawler, his skill was still good enough to allow him to take on multiple thugs without getting tagged once. He was blocking, dodging or catching their blows with no apparent effort. Same with the clearly trained MA who was flipping around yet still got owned. And, as you yourself just pointed out, Bucky isn't like Cap. He likes to get in your face and fight head on, which plays to Luke's strengths. And CIS is on unless stated otherwise, which means he will fight like he usually does.

And I am not sure about the getting tired faster thing. He recovered pretty quickly after his fight with Diamondback. It was just that Diamondback's punches were rocking him at the time, because Diamondback hits extremely hard (he had comparable strength/striking power to Luke himself), and Luke literally had to let him wail on him repeatedly to expend all the energy in the suit. He was still standing and ready to go when he laid Diamondback out. Sure, he was breathing a bit harder than he was when it started, but it was hardly like he was down and out. He literally just wiped the bit of blood off his lip and strolled off with Claire. I mean do you think Bucky would be breathing any easier if he had to stand there and let Diamondback hit him repeatedly without fighting back? He'd likely be in worse shape, considering he doesn't actually have Luke's durability. And I don't recall Luke shown getting tired at any other point in the show, except when he was suffering from Judas bullet wounds.

Also, be glad I am not H1. He would probably have argued that Cage's punches come at 100+mph because of how far he can send people with clean hits. Nonsense of course, but he has used that kind of argument before.

How can sending someone flying at incredible speeds while punching far slower
not nonsense?

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by h1a8
How can sending someone flying at incredible speeds while punching far slower
not nonsense?

In the real world, sure. But comic books, and comic book adaptations, often don't follow the laws of physics (especially in the MCU). Sending people flying in that manner (like what was shown during the final fight between Luke and Diamondback) is used as a stylistic way of indicating super strength, not super speed.

TheVaultDweller
@ H1 Also, again with this Cap>>>>Bucky thing. This discussion has been held before and, based on their respective fights with each other and the fact that Cap has only manage to temp KO him once, with a ton of effort and the help of a distraction (Bucky diving for the targeting chip in CA:TWS), as well as statements from the Director's commentary, they are close to each other. You keep bringing up intent of portrayal in different threads? Well, the Russos made their intent of portrayal very certain with their own words. Using phrases such as "doppelgangers", "equally potent", "equally matched", "super soldier versus super soldier" etc. makes it clear. You claim Jimmy's words should be accepted as 100% truth with regards to SG and the key, but when the people behind the two films Bucky was in make their intent very clear, you claim the opposite is true.

Also, I am for Cage winning round 1, and potentially round 3 (Rob brought up a good point about that), but how is he winning round 2, where Bucky gets "all gear"? Pretty sure taking a couple of grenades to the face will ruin even Cage's day.

h1a8
In the real world, sure. But comic books, and comic book adaptations, often don't follow the laws of physics (especially in the MCU). Sending people flying in that manner (like what was shown during the final fight between Luke and Diamondback) is used as a stylistic way of indicating super strength, not super speed.

TBH, you are right in a way. Scientifically, strength and durability (lack of give or large spring constant) does play a role in sending people flying without having great speed.

I'll prove it.

Collisions are bound by the law of conservation of momentum.

Momentum = mass x velocity

Mass = amount of inertia (or ability to resist change in tangential velocity).

Note: Mass =/= amount of matter

So large strength and durability creates a larger inertia and thus a larger momentum while keeping velocity constant. This will cause the struck object to be sent flying far faster than the strike.

Also a cue ball in pool can send the objective ball (same mass) off faster than the cue ball was hit at when using "draw English".

So scientifically (instead of comic laws) it is backed up too.

FrothByte
TBH, you are right in a way. Scientifically, strength and durability (lack of give or large spring constant) does play a role in sending people flying without having great speed.

I'll prove it.

Collisions are bound by the law of conservation of momentum.

Momentum = mass x velocity

Mass = amount of inertia (or ability to resist change in tangential velocity).

Note: Mass =/= amount of matter

So large strength and durability creates a larger inertia and thus a larger momentum while keeping velocity constant. This will cause the struck object to be sent flying far faster than the strike.

Also a cue ball in pool can send the objective ball (same mass) off faster than the cue ball was hit at when using "draw English".

So scientifically (instead of comic laws) it is backed up too.

Getting tired of you attempts at pseudo physics. You're trying to dumb-down the equation and neglecting a bunch of variables, like the angle that the hit is thrown, how much the opponent is able to brace themselves, the weight of the opponent, the weight of the attacker and how much weight they're actually able to put into the hit, the type of hit thrown (is it a snapping movement or one with a follow through?), the hardness of the surface used to make the hit, which part of the body a person is hit... and these are just stuff off the top of my head.

Then again I shouldn't be surprised. Basing on how you think lifting strength automatically translates to striking strength I think it's obvious that you have zero knowledge of how fighting actually works.

HulkIsHulk
IIRC before getting his powers Luke pulled a Rocky and let his opponent wail on him till he got tired.

h1a8
Getting tired of you attempts at pseudo physics. You're trying to dumb-down the equation and neglecting a bunch of variables, like the angle that the hit is thrown, how much the opponent is able to brace themselves, the weight of the opponent, the weight of the attacker and how much weight they're actually able to put into the hit, the type of hit thrown (is it a snapping movement or one with a follow through?), the hardness of the surface used to make the hit, which part of the body a person is hit... and these are just stuff off the top of my head.

Then again I shouldn't be surprised. Basing on how you think lifting strength automatically translates to striking strength I think it's obvious that you have zero knowledge of how fighting actually works.

Did you even read the post? I completely agreed with Vault and added proof to support it. I included the most relevant things

Durability (hardness), velocity (which includes the angle), mass of both, etc.

FrothByte
Did you even read the post? I completely agreed with Vault and added proof to support it. I included the most relevant things

Durability (hardness), velocity (which includes the angle), mass of both, etc.

It doesn't matter if you disagree or agree, it's the fact that you keep trying to use your basic physics to explain something a lot more complicated.

Here's a brief example to show you how your equations are simply not including all necessary variables:

Scenario 1:
Guy1 outweighs Guy2 by 100 lbs. Guy1 delivers a right hook (or a roundhouse haymaker if you prefer) to Guy2 on his chin, putting all his strength behind it, putting as much speed as he can in the punch, putting his weight behind it and even stepping forward and torquing his body to ensure maximum momentum. What's likely going to happen is Guy2's head gets snapped to the side and he gets knocked out, which then means he'll probably fall down. He will not get pushed back, in fact he probably won't even move his feet at all. He falls down, not because of the force of the punch but merely due to him being knocked out.

Scenario 2:
Guy1 weighs the same as Guy2. Guy1 puts his hand gently on Guy2's chest, straightens his arm then takes a full step forward. Unless Guy2 has properly braced himself, the probable outcome of this scenario is that Guy2 will get pushed back, taking 1 or 2 steps back depending on how big a step Guy1 takes. If Guy2 is completely unprepared and Guy1 takes a more aggressive step forward, there's a likelihood that Guy2 will not only take a step or 2 back but might even fall on his ass.

So using these 2 scenarios, scenario 1 actually has Guy1 using more strength, more speed, more weight, a more rigid surface (fist vs. palm) and yet did not displace Guy2 as much as in scenario 2.

Silent Master
h1 knows some of the right terms and equations, mostly because he looked them up, but he doesn't actually have enough knowledge to properly use them. it's why he mostly just makes up numbers.

h1a8
It doesn't matter if you disagree or agree, it's the fact that you keep trying to use your basic physics to explain something a lot more complicated.

Here's a brief example to show you how your equations are simply not including all necessary variables:

Scenario 1:
Guy1 outweighs Guy2 by 100 lbs. Guy1 delivers a right hook (or a roundhouse haymaker if you prefer) to Guy2 on his chin, putting all his strength behind it, putting as much speed as he can in the punch, putting his weight behind it and even stepping forward and torquing his body to ensure maximum momentum. What's likely going to happen is Guy2's head gets snapped to the side and he gets knocked out, which then means he'll probably fall down. He will not get pushed back, in fact he probably won't even move his feet at all. He falls down, not because of the force of the punch but merely due to him being knocked out.

Scenario 2:
Guy1 weighs the same as Guy2. Guy1 puts his hand gently on Guy2's chest, straightens his arm then takes a full step forward. Unless Guy2 has properly braced himself, the probable outcome of this scenario is that Guy2 will get pushed back, taking 1 or 2 steps back depending on how big a step Guy1 takes. If Guy2 is completely unprepared and Guy1 takes a more aggressive step forward, there's a likelihood that Guy2 will not only take a step or 2 back but might even fall on his ass.

So using these 2 scenarios, scenario 1 actually has Guy1 using more strength, more speed, more weight, a more rigid surface (fist vs. palm) and yet did not displace Guy2 as much as in scenario 2. All of this has absolutely nothing to do with collisions of sending objects flying through the air.

To send someone or something FLYING through the air with a STRIKE depends on pushing force, durability (stiffness), and velocity.

It's called "The Law of Conservation of Momentum".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.