Is the Plagueis > All Sith Lords Before Him Blurb Indisputably Canon?: Poll edition!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UCanShootMyNova

Raptor22
It's about as canon as Vader having the ability to grow to a hundred feet tall and throw around the rebels like a child would toss around some GI Joe's.

Bbbbut it shows him doing it on the cover of a Lucas copyrighted work so it must be true. Lol

NewGuy01
That's called a metaphor, champ.

Beniboybling
laughing out loud

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Raptor22
It's about as canon as Vader having the ability to grow to a hundred feet tall and throw around the rebels like a child would toss around some GI Joe's.

Bbbbut it shows him doing it on the cover of a Lucas copyrighted work so it must be true. Lol

Ah the old SW Marvel comic series, pretty good. A little goof at times in some respects(but hey that was the era back then), but I enjoyed reading em.

Raptor22
Originally posted by NewGuy01
That's called a metaphor, champ. Wait a minute. So you're trying to tell me that even though he's depicted that big on the cover of that and several other trademarked and copyrighted covers that it might not be so?

I bet the next thing you're going to try to convince me of, is that he was depicted in such an over the top manner, by marvel, in an attempt to get people to take interest in it and purchase. Thats just crazy

Raptor22
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Ah the old SW Marvel comic series, pretty good. A little goof at times in some respects(but hey that was the era back then), but I enjoyed reading em. yeah I liked them too.

But remember all of their covers are cannon. Like this one saying "A living nightmare stalks the universe". Even though the "living nightmare" that they speak of is actually a pacifist that locked himself away in another dimension to live a life of peace away from the empires tyranny, and in no way, shape or form stalked the universe at any point, is completely moot. Because it says he did on the cover, so it's true.

Zenwolf
yeah I liked them too.

But remember all of their covers are cannon. Like this one saying "A living nightmare stalks the universe". Even though the "living nightmare" that they speak of is actually a pacifist that locked himself away in another dimension to live a life of peace away from the empires tyranny, and in no way, shape or form stalked the universe at any point, is completely moot. Because it says he did on the cover, so it's true.

Eh the Marvel series was in the S-canon bracket, they weren't all Canon, unless they were reference in later works that were C-canon.

Rockydonovang
Wait a minute. So you're trying to tell me that even though he's depicted that big on the cover of that and several other trademarked and copyrighted covers that it might not be so?

I bet the next thing you're going to try to convince me of, is that he was depicted in such an over the top manner, by marvel, in an attempt to get people to take interest in it and purchase. Thats just crazy

Wow.

Over the top art=/ explicit statements.

And anyway even if you want to take the image literally, it can be dismissed due to the overwhelming amount of canonical depictions of vader as way smaller which contradict.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that contradicts plagueis being the top sith lord of all time prior to tpm

S_W_LeGenD
It is OOU statement with no backing in the lore. Highly subjective.

Rockydonovang
there's nothing subjective about out of universe statements. The whole point is they're objective.

And as its uncontradicted, feat interpretations aside, it stands

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
there's nothing subjective about out of universe statements. The whole point is they're objective.
Do you understand the purpose of a blurb?

Raptor22
Eh the Marvel series was in the S-canon bracket, they weren't all Canon, unless they were reference in later works that were C-canon. But under the new Disney canon everything that's isn't Disney Canon is legends and equal cannon. Disney even released several omnibuses for the old comics with the legends banner right on them.

Ursumeles
LeG, stop with OOU statements being non-canon.
You don't need to accept the blurb, but the anti-OOU is cringeworthy.

Raptor22
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Wow.

Over the top art=/ explicit statements.

And anyway even if you want to take the image literally, it can be dismissed due to the overwhelming amount of canonical depictions of vader as way smaller which contradict.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that contradicts plagueis being the top sith lord of all time prior to tpm you'd also have to dismiss the dozens of other comic covers depicting him in such a manner.

So I guess if we're going to take covers as cannon, then Vader must be a master of a new force technique alter size, in which he can grow to enormous heights and shrink back down at will.

Zenwolf
But under the new Disney canon everything that's isn't Disney Canon is legends and equal cannon. Disney even released several omnibuses for the old comics with the legends banner right on them.

Yeah everything that was before Disney, is Legends, but that doesn't mean they should ignore the previous Canon hierarchy that had been established for Legends.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Ursumeles
LeG, stop with OOU statements being non-canon.
You don't need to accept the blurb, but the anti-OOU is cringeworthy.
You have to establish that blurbs are canon first.

Raptor22
Yeah everything that was before Disney, is Legends, but that doesn't mean they should ignore the previous Canon hierarchy that had been established for Legends. They shouldn't ignore it, but they do, usually to further their own agendas. And they use quotes from people like chee saying if it's not Disney then it's all legends as an open door to use anything that's not Disney. Whether it's a blurb, comic cover, random author quote/tweet, cereal box fact etc... as proof that their legends favorite is great, or better than another character.

But for some reason it doesn't fly across the board. They will spout - "everything not Disney is cannon to legends" when a random fact from the back of a star wars fruit snack box that has the Lucas arts TM on it helps their character, but when it goes against them it's always "nah that doesn't count".

That's the point I'm trying to make here.

Blurbs are almost always produced by the publisher, without the authors input, and designed for the sole purpose to attract consumers to their product.

But because it has the little LA TM on it, then I'm just supposed to blindly accept that it was the author/lucas's intent to make it canon to the universe.

But hey if that's how it is, then I'm fine with that. Just don't tell me that something else down the road that has the LA TM on it doesn't count when it goes against your argument. (I'm using your in the general sense, and not accusing u of it, just some here)

NewGuy01
Wait a minute. So you're trying to tell me that even though he's depicted that big on the cover of that and several other trademarked and copyrighted covers that it might not be so?

False equivalency, and the distinction is obvious. The fact that Sidious isn't an actual black hole, for example, has no bearing on whether the claim that Plagueis is the most powerful Sith of all time is valid. Neither does this.

Raptor22
Originally posted by NewGuy01
False equivalency, and the distinction is obvious. The fact that Sidious isn't an actual black hole, for example, has no bearing on whether the claim that Plagueis is the most powerful Sith of all time is valid. Neither does this. The equivalency is that their both not produced as part of the authors story but instead as the sole purpose of being a marketing tool.

U could argue that the plagueise quote is valid because nothing in the text of the novel contradicts it. But even if it did, would it matter? If we're going by the train of thought that everything not Disney is legends and all formats of legends are equal, then would the blurb on the back be just as canon as the text within?

Nephthys
No.

relentless1
Plagueis is a strong second next to Sidious

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.