Things you Like and Dislike about the New Canon.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zenwolf
So now that there has been a separation of Canon and Legends, what do you guys like and dislike about the New Canon? Guess I'll start.

1. Dr. Cylo and his experiments= There was some real potential here, I liked the mix of technology and Jedi aspects together and Cylo essentially being the smartest tech-head in the galaxy, becoming immortal through the use of technology.

2. Star Wars Rebels(to an extent)= To a point I like it, mainly the creature designs, especially the Purrgil with their natural ability to travel through hyperspace. Bendu also was pretty interesting. Some episodes are ok. Character development is....eh, mostly seems more to Kanan/Ezra which is good.

3. Vader Down comic series= I had fun with this, was interesting and showed Vader as being awesome while dealing with problems.

Dislike

1. Dr. Cylo's death= This guy I felt was extremely wasted, he was made to be an antagonist for Vader...ok that's fine. But at the same time, there was so much more he could have done, maybe bring the Dark Troopers into play in Canon or become a real antagonist to the Rebel Alliance.

2. The Inquisitorius= Where to I start...just everything about the Canon Inquisitors is just so....no....yeah that's it really, the GI was the only interesting character. Those spinny sabers...stupid.

3. Star Wars Rebels= As I noted, some episodes were ok. Most I felt kinda dragged a little bit, though I felt the only better episodes were when old characters from TCW, movies or Legends became involved. The Mando episodes were a tad little better, though mostly due to action.

====

Decided to limit myself to 3 things in each, can do more though if you want.

darthbane77
Other than the new Inquisitors, I really don't dislike anything honestly. Everything is pretty good imo, so far.

FreshestSlice
I don't like anything Marvel does. Like:

http://www.comicosity.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/DarthVader001_02-03.jpg

for instance.

|King Joker|
Rebels is pretty bad, tbh. Had a good amount of potential, but it did everything that it shouldn't have, for the most part.

Rebel95
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
I don't like anything Marvel does. Like:

http://www.comicosity.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/DarthVader001_02-03.jpg

for instance.
What is that from?

FreshestSlice
The new Vader comic that's about to come out. This is in RotS, so right after Mustafar.

relentless1
yeah, the whole point was that no matter how much Vader tantrum he couldn't even touch the Emperor so his will breaks

Total Warrior
I don't like how Disney ended the civil war against the Empire in one year. In Legends it took years to totally destroy an empire which had conquered most of the galaxy, so it makes sense that it took some years to conquer every system or sector. I would have made the war last at least 3-4 years before a truce could be signed. I also liked how many imperial officers tried to save the Empire in EU, but now basically we have only Rax, there is no more room for other antagonists to make a last stand against the Republic. Something I also like is that, at least currently, they aren't adding too many Jedi survivors. In EU, we had 200 Jedi at least roaming the galaxy after order 66, many still active by the time of the Civil war. It made the Order 66 and operation Knoghtfall look far less impressive. Hope the add a few more Jedi (Quinlan Vos please), but not too many. I'd say a few dozens at best, so no more than 30-40 initial survivors, maybe 50-60 if we include Jedi turned Inquisitors. However by the time of the OT they should all be dead or retired. I would also appreciate if New canon gave us more info on the Jedi's origins etc, but I'll guess they'll do it after they're done with OT and PT material.
As of now I don't like the First Order at all, but the next movies could change my mind

ares834
Things I like:
SWTOR isn't Canon.

Things I dislike:
Everything else.

ares834
Originally posted by relentless1
yeah, the whole point was that no matter how much Vader tantrum he couldn't even touch the Emperor so his will breaks

That's not implied at all in the film. It's only stated in the book.

Beniboybling
It's mostly good, Rebels is steadily improving. My main gripe is that in a lot of respects it feels dumbed down compared to the EU.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by ares834
That's not implied at all in the film. It's only stated in the book.
The real problem is that this is Vader straight out of surgery. We all already know Vader is GOAT in everything.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Total Warrior
I don't like how Disney ended the civil war against the Empire in one year. In Legends it took years to totally destroy an empire which had conquered most of the galaxy, so it makes sense that it took some years to conquer every system or sector. I would have made the war last at least 3-4 years before a truce could be signed. I also liked how many imperial officers tried to save the Empire in EU, but now basically we have only Rax, there is no more room for other antagonists to make a last stand against the Republic.

Wait what?...Ok this I didn't know and if I did, that probably would have made my list.

....Thanks Disney for dumbing it all down, that isn't even realistic even with an unrealistic setting..

Total Warrior
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Wait what?...Ok this I didn't know and if I did, that probably would have made my list.

....Thanks Disney for dumbing it all down, that isn't even realistic even with an unrealistic setting.. Yep, battle of Jakku, the last battle of the war, happened just one year and 4 days after Endor. After that, Galactic Concordance was signed by the two parties. As I Said, it sounds a bit unrealistic how in 369 days the rebels were able to conquer so many territories while the imperial army could apparently not hold them at bay at all. I mean, they fought against the Rebellion for years, and they were doing well, but it seems like after Palpatine's death they've all become shitty soldiers

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Total Warrior
Yep, battle of Jakku, the last battle of the war, happened just one year and 4 days after Endor. After that, Galactic Concordance was signed by the two parties. As I Said, it sounds a bit unrealistic how in 369 days the rebels were able to conquer so many territories while the imperial army could apparently not hold them at bay at all. I mean, they fought against the Rebellion for years, and they were doing well, but it seems like after Palpatine's death they've all become shitty soldiers

Yeah...EU handled it much better then. Hell Pellaeon noted they could have still crushed the entire Rebel fleet even after losing the Executor and DS2, if they weren't fighting themselves.

Darth Thor
That Vader thing gives more credence to ROTS Anakin being a total powerhouse. Because if that was after surgery, imagine what he could have done before his injuries.

Beniboybling
imagine

Unbowed
Originally posted by Darth Thor
That Vader thing gives more credence to ROTS Anakin being a total powerhouse. Because if that was after surgery, imagine what he could have done before his injuries.
Except it makes the excuses about Anakin losing to Obi-Wan all the more hollow.

Unbowed
like: Snoke is gonna be the new and improved Sidious

dislike: Sidious

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Unbowed
Except it makes the excuses about Anakin losing to Obi-Wan all the more hollow.
So, not wanting to kill your best friend and mentor somehow weakens you being angry at the guy who lied and said that he could save your wife? Seems legit.

Unbowed
So, not wanting to kill your best friend and mentor
Did you just pull that out of your ass? Anakin tried his best to kill Obi-Wan, he just couldn't.

People have been claiming for years that Anakin was somehow weakened at Mustafar because of his anger and hate at the "betrayal" he suffered - even though we know those things empower a Dark sider. Well if Anakin was weakened at Mustafar then losing to Obi-Wan, being mutilated beyond all human recognition and killing Padme should compound the problem, no? By that rationale he should be even weaker.

Which he was. We know he was. Yet despite that we're supposed to believe he somehow summons enough power to ragdoll Sidious across the room, yet on Mustafar he couldn't even overpower Obi-Wan's Force push?

Darth Thor
Did you just pull that out of your ass? Anakin tried his best to kill Obi-Wan, he just couldn't.

"Don't make me kill you"

I don't remember Maul saying that to Obi-Wan, or Sidious to Yoda or Dooku to Anakin.

People have been claiming for years that Anakin was somehow weakened at Mustafar because of his anger and hate at the "betrayal" he suffered - even though we know those things empower a Dark sider. Well if Anakin was weakened at Mustafar then losing to Obi-Wan, being mutilated beyond all human recognition and killing Padme should compound the problem, no? By that rationale he should be even weaker.

No ones ever claimed his anger made him weaker. It was his internal Conflict.

Which he was. We know he was. Yet despite that we're supposed to believe he somehow summons enough power to ragdoll Sidious across the room, yet on Mustafar he couldn't even overpower Obi-Wan's Force push?

Yes you're supposed to believe he has the power to ragdoll Sidious because it's Canon.

You're also supposed to believe that's not even Anakin's best feat. That would be ragdolling the Son and Daughter.

You're also shown in the same damn film that Anakin was clearly more powerful than Dooku who Obi-Wan clearly was not capable of defeating (at the time).

So yeah put 2 & 2 together and it's pretty clear Anakin wasn't on form on Mustafar. Whereas Canon clearly shows is he was a total powerhouse.

FreshestSlice
http://www.comicosity.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/DarthVader001_04.jpg

It's pretty obvious that Vader is angry at Sidious because he thinks Sidious lied(which he totally did). Hence him lashing out with the Force and being able to overpower him. It's debateable if you think that's good writing or not. I don't, but it's par the course at this point. Regardless, it does happen, and all new content is always canon. Deal with it.

relentless1

It's pretty obvious that Vader is angry at Sidious because he thinks Sidious lied(which he totally did). Hence him lashing out with the Force and being able to overpower him. It's debateable if you think that's good writing or not. I don't, but it's par the course at this point. Regardless, it does happen, and all new content is always canon. Deal with it.

looks to me that he caught Sidious off guard. nothing more. Sidious even outright threatens him in the last box there... can't wait to read this comic series, whens it coming out?

FreshestSlice
Uh, no. Already had this discussion, but Sidious being caught off guard makes zero sense. One, Sidious has precog just like every other Jedi or Sith. Two, this is right after Vader gives his trademark No in RotS, so he's already destroyed half the room and lashed out. Three, Sidious is obviously defending himself given the wall behind him shatters but he doesn't die as the metal behind him bends and twists. Four, that's not an outright threat. It's a philosophical question, although Sidious can be threatening him. The point is, this is the same Vader who just got put into the suit and crippled. He shouldn't be overpowering anyone.

And I'm not sure why this is so exciting. You don't even know what it's about.

carthage
Holy shit that's actually a really good feat for Vader

Rockydonovang
Its also possible he let vader do that to physocologically fck with him

As it is, lords of the sith makes very clear sids is more powerful iirc

carthage
Sidious is clearly defending himself e.g. Holding out his hands like he's bracing himself or erecting a barrier.

That and its not unusual given Vaders feats in canon are amazing.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Rockydonovang

As it is, lords of the sith makes very clear sids is more powerful iirc
Sidious is more powerful than Yoda. Doesn't mean he let Yoda TK him. erm

Rockydonovang
I'm relooking at the thing, sidious has his arms out *after* he was already in the air, so he could have already had his barrier broken off guard(though that's arguable).

In the third scan we actually see sidious no longer pinned to wall DESPITE vader still having his grip open. This seems to tell me Sidious actually BROKE OUT of vader's grip. This is supported by the wisps of air which to me imply force use.

If anything the scans actually cement sidious's superiority given that he was able to break out of vader's grips. And LOTS just reinforces that.

FreshestSlice
Literally none of what you just said makes any sense whatsoever.

Rockydonovang
Not sure what you're not getting. In the third scan, sids no longer has his head on the on the wall despite Vader visibly still trying to keep him in a grip per his clutched hand.

Sidious broke out of Vader' grip reinforcing sids is superior even in spite of Vader being enraged.

And following that sids presumably threatens to kill vader

FreshestSlice
That has nothing to do with anything established here.

That is not what that means. Regardless, Sidious being more powerful than Vader isn't even what's being talked about here.

No, he doesn't presumably do anything, but even if he did what point are you trying to make? Vader shouldn't even be able to TK Palpatine. That is what everyone else is talking about.

Rebel95
Lol yeah i'm sure that's what it is

Rebel95

Is this before or after the first scan you posted?

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Rebel95
Lol yeah i'm sure that's what it is
I mean he's done it in the eu before.

Sids mentally raises vader up, and then brings him crashing down all the time

Rockydonovang
Anyway on Topic
2. Anakin and Obi Wan
3. Rebels(kinda)
Dislikes
1. TFA
2. Rogue 1
3. Rebels(kinda)

Darth Thor
Originally posted by carthage
Sidious is clearly defending himself e.g. Holding out his hands like he's bracing himself or erecting a barrier.

That and its not unusual given Vaders feats in canon are amazing.

But Vader got beat by a Padawan you troll.

Hence Vader can't take anyone above Padawan level. Carthage logic.

Unbowed
Originally posted by carthage
Holy shit that's actually a really good feat for Vader
Almost Maul level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxrMEQlTMvs

Beniboybling
Also canon.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Also canon.
And Ahsoka deflected sids lightning as a padawan
And vader beat a superior version of ahsoka.
And Ben beat Maul and stalemated Vader
Obviously
Vader/Ahsoka/Maul/Ben> Sids

FreshestSlice
Or, you know, Sidious isn't a god, so people should be able to hit him or defend against him. Could be that too.

Rockydonovang
Nah

Sids is just a politically powerful old guy

Only Maul level combatants can get knocked down by oversized dogs and scared by a bald guy with a jetpack

FreshestSlice
That could also be true. Sidious isn't someone worth being butthurt over.

Unbowed
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Also canon.
Well yes but Vader is a little pussy compared to Maul.

Darth Abonis
I like how Vader is stronger being in the suit then being crippled and constantly complaining.

I like that Luke Skywalker's new Jedi werent connected to the government

I like how their werent 100's of Order 66 survivors

I like Cylo and his potential

Darth Thor
And Ahsoka deflected sids lightning as a padawan

Through a door, and still forcing her back.

Only Maul level combatants can get knocked down by oversized dogs and scared by a bald guy with a jetpack

Really? Because I remember Kenobi getting electrocuted and tossed around by Cad Bane, and KO'd by a couple of Zygerrian slavers, and beaten by Grievous multiple times, and KO'd by Ventress e.t.c.

Rockydonovang
Well, Season 4 and pre season 4 kenobi isn't quite tcw maul level given maul's ability to get spun into crates

Dark-Kenshin
Forum Sidious and Canon Sidious are worlds apart. But then again, that is the case for every SW character. No, scratch that. Every fictional character.

Lord Stark
How is it canon? Doesn't this directly contradict what's showed in the films?

ares834
No. Presumably it happens right after the scene in the films.

Darth Thor
Well, Season 4 and pre season 4 kenobi isn't quite tcw maul level given maul's ability to get spun into crates

It's almost as if TCW/Rebels shit on character levels and abilities sometimes.

Originally posted by Dark-Kenshin
Forum Sidious and Canon Sidious are worlds apart.

KMC forum Sidious can't be touched by Vader, and can even defeat an infinite number of Vaders.

Rockydonovang
people are overreacting.

Sidious breaks out of vader's grip and threatens him. Nothing's changed here, sids is still the unquestionable top dog

FreshestSlice
No one overreacted but you, fam. It's like you're having a conversation with yourself. No one even remotely said Vader was more powerful than Sidious.
Originally posted by ares834
No. Presumably it happens right after the scene in the films.
It is. Not that it'd matter. Because everything is canon now.

YousufKhan1212
KMC forum Sidious can't be touched by Vader, and can even defeat an infinite number of Vaders.

toplel
this guy freshest thinks hes controlling the world from this place

Fated Xtasy
I like most things.

My main gripe with canon is the lack of interesting side stories. Every thing is mostly bland tbh

Total Warrior
No one overreacted but you, fam. It's like you're having a conversation with yourself. No one even remotely said Vader was more powerful than Sidious.

It is. Not that it'd matter. Because everything is canon now. Ok, after seeing your new avatar pic you are my favorite member here, from now on I will agree with you in every debate

AncientPower
Vader is certainly far more impressive in Canon, besides his scenes in Rogue One singlehandedly Order 66 everything he got in Legends.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by AncientPower
Vader is certainly far more impressive in Canon, besides his scenes in Rogue One singlehandedly Order 66 everything he got in Legends.

Ehh...not really sure I'd agree on that frankly.

@Xtasy, I can agree with the side story bit.

Tbh on another thing, I feel like with Marvel, they won't really do those stories that broaden the Universe if the Marvel Universe is anything to go by, they'll just stick with the popular set of characters and that'll be it.

Hope I'm wrong since the SWU is different, but we'll see I guess.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Ehh...not really sure I'd agree on that frankly.

@Xtasy, I can agree with the side story bit.

Tbh on another thing, I feel like with Marvel, they won't really do those stories that broaden the Universe if the Marvel Universe is anything to go by, they'll just stick with the popular set of characters and that'll be it.

Hope I'm wrong since the SWU is different, but we'll see I guess.

Well to be fair they've given us a Doctor Aphra series. That was probably them testing the waters.

And also to be fair the comics based on the famous characters sell really well, so why would they stop those?

Zenwolf
Well to be fair they've given us a Doctor Aphra series. That was probably them testing the waters.

And also to be fair the comics based on the famous characters sell really well, so why would they stop those?

I didn't say they should stop them, I'm just saying one of the things I liked was that the SWU didn't solely focus on a handful or so of characters.

They gave some pretty interesting stories for even the most minor of characters that helped show the bigger picture of the SWU. I mean Luke's friend Tank, was just named dropped in ANH for 2 seconds and he has 2 whole story arcs in two different comic series.

But yeah, they are doing Aphra so they'll probably keep doing what they've done before hopefully.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.