marvel rebooted

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
not sure how many here know it, or enjoy fan fic in general, but marvel rebooted is kinda cool. and they accepted one of my story ideas, so there is that. lol

that aside, if you like fan fic there's some pretty decent stuff. some isn't really written by amateurs. tc dewitt wrote a few pieces that are quite good, so it's a little better than your usual fan stuff. you need to promote an idea, and have it accepted. then they'll go through it and tell you if it's any good and finally get you to do the main draft and give you a fancy title page. i wrote the current strange tales issue (#5) and would recommend the site to anyone who loves marvel and enjoys writing.

http://www.marvelrebooted.com/

worth checking out on a rainy day maybe.

Digi
Huh, interesting. I'll read the one you submitted and may poke around at others. thumb up

Are there any that are just straight-up battles, or mostly so? Would be cool to see things like various KMC tourney matches as imagined in fan-fic format.

leonidas
lol no. the premise is almost....what if like. you take a character and re-imagine them. i used mr sinister and changed things around based on his origin to come up with someone new. turned out all right i think. i'm working on a different character currently, and am pretty excited about it. it's something i'd actually love to see in marvel canon tbh. will tell more when i'm closer to being done. def let me know what you think, and don't worry about hurting my feelings if you don't like it. i've had my share of writing experience over the years, and you either develop thick skin or quit early.... lol

Digi
Ha, yeah no worries there. I'll be honest. Sounds like a really cool creative outlet, if nothing else. I haven't really ever scripted any comics, per se, or even done comic fan fic. But applying what I do know, I know you used to play D&D, and my first full campaign started recently (with me as DM). I've DM'd one-shots, but this is a different beast. And the allure of crafting a story - with a nerdy backdrop like comics or fantasy - is pretty strong.

leonidas
oh yeah, that was why i was our primary dm, and our campaign lasted YEARS. so much of it was influenced by my love of comics. they seemed to go hand in hand. of course, we played d&d in only the most general sense. we evolved it into something any hardcore player would never recognize, but damn it was fun while it lasted.....

Digi
Just read it. It was really enjoyable. I'll comment further, but it's late and I'm going to sleep on it. Thanks for the link, though. Cheers!

Digi
So my first question is, will your Essex story actually be continued? And if I'm invested enough to ask that question, it should be seen as a compliment toward the story.

Criticisms first: A clearer disambiguation of names a bit earlier in the story would have been nice. I thought his son was Charles for a bit. And I thought the journal entries were a touch melodramatic. But then, this is a reimagined comic universe, so it's not out of place. But given the time period, I might have expected a bit more stoicism to accompany the angst.

Other stuff: The descriptions are vivid, the cast of characters all seem instantly believable and powers are portrayed in unique, interesting ways. I got a fairly strong "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" feel from it, which isn't a bad thing at all.

All around, thumb up ...fun stuff. I haven't read any of the other stories, but, as mentioned, may poke around.

leonidas
lol nice. i'll take it, thanks. laughing out loud

and to answer your question, yes, i'll continue the story. it actually breaks into a couple parts from the ending--one side will be in america and pursue the dracula angle. i wanted to use some of the old west heroes and native american heroes but haven't fully fleshed it out in my head yet.

the apoc angle will continue the story of essex and his buds. i had some cool thoughts on a new look at apocalypse and his origins. that would likely be the next step--a retelling of his origin then a jump back into the current story line.

but all that will be later--i'm still piecing together something new and fun. good call on the lxg comparison though. i was sort of going for that type of feel, so glad you noticed. thanks for taking a peek. will let you know if something else goes up, but it won't be for a couple months at the very earliest....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.