Dragon Age

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/22/dragon-age-bioware-writer-says-new-game-being-developed

The next Dragon Age was announced. Hopefully they learned from Inquisition and return to the glory of Origins.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/22/dragon-age-bioware-writer-says-new-game-being-developed

The next Dragon Age was announced. Hopefully they learned from Inquisition and return to the glory of Origins.

I doubt that they'll go back to how ridiculously dark the original one was with the writers at Bioware now, but if they can make it play better than Inquisition and have less shitty mmo-esque sidequests, i'm there.

John Murdoch
Please please please more Origins-esque. Still one of, if the not the best, RPG I've ever played.

Nemesis X
Hey I liked Inquisition. But I also liked Origins. As long as they don't go crazy like the team in charge of Mass Effect Andromeda, I'm ok with either direction they go with the next one.

BackFire
I think they should do a combination of the two. Have some big open world type zones, but much fewer than they had in Inquisition, have maybe 3 or 4 instead of 12 or whatever they had, and flesh out those 3 or 4 very well. They should look to The Witcher as far as how to do an open world game, don't need a ton of areas, just need to have the areas that are there be good, and then also have a lot more linear story bits than they had in Inquisition.

Smasandian
Yeah, I agree. Having 3-4 larger areas is good and then include multiple areas where story missions take place.

Adam Grimes
Also a better camera/controls and missions, Inquisition was a textbook offline mmo and it was one of the things I disliked the most about it.

Arachnid1
E48SebCVac0

Please be better than Inquisition.

-Pr-
The sneak peek of the Warden literally made me gasp. Then Varric had to go and ****ing ruin it. Bastards.

cdtm
I should start Origins complete I got from Gog.

I don't need any mods for it?

BackFire

Tzeentch
The people making this game have likely never even played Origins lol. The Bioware you knew from DAO/KOTOR has been dead for a long time, I'd be weary about those expectations.

This game will 100% be inquisition 1.5. If you liked 3 then you're in luck.

Jmanghan
Why didn't people like the gameplay in Inquisition? It was definitely better then the previous games, lol.

First there was auto-attacks, then in DA2 they removed it and made it so you actually needed to press buttons, but it was still rather boring and unengaging, all things considered.

The combat in Inquisition was actually fun in comparison to the other two which just... weren't all that fun. If there's one thing that the older Dragon Age games are good at it sure as hell ain't the gameplay, lol.

-Pr-
Origins has the best combat. Fight me.

Originally posted by cdtm
I should start Origins complete I got from Gog.

I don't need any mods for it?

Need? No. Want? Yes. The Nexus has tons of really good ones.

The "raven respec" one though, always crashed my game. Could never figure out why.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Why didn't people like the gameplay in Inquisition? It was clunky trash.

KingD19
Didn't Inquisition give you the option to pause and make choices for attacks mid combat like Origins? Iirc you could basically choose between Origins or 2 style combat.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Tzeentch
It was clunky trash. And the rest of the games were much better? At least it lets you do cool shit instead of spamming the same attack button over and over or clicking an enemy once and letting them do the rest.

^ Yes, you could pause, but the difference is, real-time inquisition combat is way more engaging then real-time 2 combat. It's not even a contest, Inquisition combat is leagues better then 2's.

cdtm
Originally posted by -Pr-
Origins has the best combat. Fight me.

Need? No. Want? Yes. The Nexus has tons of really good ones.

The "raven respec" one though, always crashed my game. Could never figure out why.

For first play throughs though?

Isn't that when you do mostly quality of life mods, and try and keep as close to vanilla as possible? And then go nuts on the deeper game mods?

KingD19
And the rest of the games were much better? At least it lets you do cool shit instead of spamming the same attack button over and over or clicking an enemy once and letting them do the rest.

^ Yes, you could pause, but the difference is, real-time inquisition combat is way more engaging then real-time 2 combat. It's not even a contest, Inquisition combat is leagues better then 2's.

I agree. My one gripe for 2 and Inquisition is the same, though. WHY DID YOU TAKE AWAY MY EXECUTIONS?!?! The cinematic kills that randomly popped up in Origins were chefs kiss good. It never got old when my duel-wielding rogue stabbed a guy in the guts, then got in close and used his other blade to chop the guys head off. Or my sword/shield warrior to stab someone in the throat, then bash them down with the shield.

BackFire
I really like inquisition. Think it had the best characters and solid gameplay that kind of combined the first two games styles.

My only hope for the next one is that there are fewer open world zones and that those zones are fleshed out while having more linear areas.

-Pr-
Originally posted by cdtm
For first play throughs though?

Isn't that when you do mostly quality of life mods, and try and keep as close to vanilla as possible? And then go nuts on the deeper game mods?

You make a good point. Go vanilla first run, then replay 5 times to do each origin. stick out tongue

==

I like Inquisition, but I think it lacks behind Origins in many ways.

Smasandian
Yeah....and less about the amount of content...but interesting content. A lot of those areas were filled with less than ideal gameplay.

Tzeentch
And the rest of the games were much better? At least it lets you do cool shit instead of spamming the same attack button over and over or clicking an enemy once and letting them do the rest.

^ Yes, you could pause, but the difference is, real-time inquisition combat is way more engaging then real-time 2 combat. It's not even a contest, Inquisition combat is leagues better then 2's. Yes, Origins was better. DAO combat was a good execution of a niche concept that filters modern gamers (RTwP). DA2 and 3's combat were a poor execution of generic modern hack and slash philosophies (Well, *were* modern. If three came out today it would probably have bamham or soulslike combat lol).

I've never really understood the complaints about spam. The only difference in attack animations between dragon age Origins and 2 or Inquisition is that in one game you click on an enemy once to auto attack them whereas in the others you have to hold the button to attack them.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Yes, Origins was better. DAO combat was a good execution of a niche concept that filters modern gamers (RTwP). DA2 and 3's combat were a poor execution of generic modern hack and slash philosophies (Well, *were* modern. If three came out today it would probably have bamham or soulslike combat lol).

I've never really understood the complaints about spam. The only difference in attack animations between dragon age Origins and 2 or Inquisition is that in one game you click on an enemy once to auto attack them whereas in the others you have to hold the button to attack them. Because auto-attack is boring, lol.

I like pressing buttons man, I like actually having to get involved in every fight rather then clicking an enemy and letting my character do the rest.

2 executed this poorly, but 3 was a lot better, and oh yes, this is so much more exciting:
yD-Rq6OyaO0
^ Pretty slow, weak effects, and on top of that I can't get involved as much as I'd like to. I wanna feel every dodge, every hit. Like I think Diablo II is leagues better then Diablo 3, but Diablo 3 did combat better there too.

Compare that to Inquisition:
jBuUlDqaA5k

So much more impactful, better effects, way more fast-paced, and way more intense. Every hit feels powerful and exciting. Even the sound effects as you smash or cut through flesh are leagues better. Despite this it still has the best of both worlds, you don't have to play one way or the other, you choose how you wanna play it.

Hell I think even 2, as boring as it was, had better combat then Origins, at least it requires you to get involved for every fight instead of watching the game.

-Pr-
Inquisition doesn't have nearly the strategic/tactical depth of Origins. And that's even without bringing mods in to play.

If you like your combat more fast-paced, then yeah, Inquisition (and even 2, which did some things better imo) is gonna be more your bag, but tactics wise? Origins is far superior imo.

ares834
Thanks for reminding me how god awful DAI's combat was. It tried to combine both DAO and DA2 but failed at capturing the best elements of either system.

-Pr-
People don't talk about how mangled the skill trees were in Inquisition either. Origins and 2 had some fantastic trees, especially for mages. In Inquisition... it was all right, but if you weren't speccing in to lightning, especially in some of the DLC, you were just playing the game wrong.

KingD19
Knight Enchanter was one of the most broken builds in the game. You get the silverite armor and use that spec? You're dealing massive damage with each swing, can deflect all direct energy and magic attacks back at the caster for damage, and you heal yourself with every hit. Plus all the actual spells you have. It was unfair.

NemeBro
There has never once been a single Dragon Age that had combat I give a single shit about.

Dragon Age Inquisition failed for me because it was a haphazardly thrown together open world with tedious bullshit to do in it. The worst kind of open world game. The writing might have also been bad but I'll be honest, I'd actually have no idea because I got filtered by how mind-numbingly dull the Hinterlands are.

"Just leave the Hinterlands it gets better-" no, **** you. They shouldn't have made it an open world if they didn't want it to be explored and completed. Don't apologize for Bioware's poor game design.

If they either improve or drop the open world tedium this game could be worthwhile, but I doubt it.

ares834
What filtered me were the war points or whatever they were called. It forced you to play the dog shit side quests in order to advance the main plot. **** that.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by ares834
Thanks for reminding me how god awful DAI's combat was. It tried to combine both DAO and DA2 but failed at capturing the best elements of either system. It's far superior action gameplay-wise to 2.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by -Pr-
Inquisition doesn't have nearly the strategic/tactical depth of Origins. And that's even without bringing mods in to play.

If you like your combat more fast-paced, then yeah, Inquisition (and even 2, which did some things better imo) is gonna be more your bag, but tactics wise? Origins is far superior imo.

Oh I completely understand that, Origins requires more strategy, I just want a game with a bit more... input, ya know?

What's odd is I really liked the combat in the KOTOR games, but I wasn't feeling it in Origins, is there something wrong with me? lol

-Pr-
Oh I completely understand that, Origins requires more strategy, I just want a game with a bit more... input, ya know?

What's odd is I really liked the combat in the KOTOR games, but I wasn't feeling it in Origins, is there something wrong with me? lol

lol, I dunno, but your comment is fair. I do see the attraction of the Inquisition style.

For me, I get more joy of setting my people up properly and then watching them work while I control whatever character I want to control at the time.

ares834

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.