Wind River

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Nuul
An FBI agent teams with the town's veteran game tracker to investigate a murder that occurred on a Native American reservation.

Director: Taylor Sheridan
Writer: Taylor Sheridan
Stars: Elizabeth Olsen, Jeremy Renner, Jon Bernthal

zN9PDOoLAfg

The Nuul
looks like a great movie thumb up

marwash22
Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch teaming up to stop Punisher?

sounds legit.

BruceSkywalker
will see

Kazenji
There's already reviews for this when your looking at it through Google

8.6/10 IMDB

85% RT

73% Metacritic

jaden101
Was skeptical then saw the "from the writers of Sicario and Hell or Highwater"

I'll be seeing this.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by jaden101

I'll be seeing this.

Yep sold on that alone. On my "want to see" list.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by jaden101

I'll be seeing this.

^ Shit yeah (haven't even watched the trailer yet)

fisdetuc
This looks kinda interesting

Rick Deckard
Saw Wind River on Blu earlier this week. Incredible film! This is definitely a modern masterpiece, and one of the best thrillers I've seen in the past 10 years. SPOILERS below:

The desolate & wintry Wyoming landscape may as well have been another character in the film.

Interesting to see John Bernthal play a good guy/victim in this film - considering he usually plays different kinds of characters (i.e., The Punisher, the ex-con in Shot Caller, etc.)

One of my favorite scenes in the film was when the local police & FBI agent (well played by Elizabeth Olson) went to investigate the crime @ the oil rig employee trailers - the scene starting with Graham Green telling EO to "get away from the door" and the subsequent shoot out was amazing & extremely well edited. And, after the shoot-out was over, having the JR character took some of the characters out from a distance (with the sniper rifle) was jarring & unexpected....(but was also probably foreshadowed by the scene(s) in the beginning of the film when he took out the predatory animals who were stalking the sheep). Great sequence, from start to finish.

riv6672
This was a pretty good movie, all around. The flashback was especially effective.
Graham Greene did his usual bang up jib as a supporting actor. I've met the guy IRL, and he's a presence.

Robtard
I found this to be very good. Solid performances all around. Solid story. Pulled at your emotions and then gave you satisfaction.

carthage
Loved it was bleak as hell
But the ending was incredibly satisfying

-Pr-
I really enjoyed, but thinking back on it I wish the flashback had been at the start. It would have made the eventual showdown more tense, I think.

Robtard
Disagree, friendo. Felt it being shown later in the film carried a bit of mystery along the way which we would have not had if the scene was shown from the beginning.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Robtard
Disagree, friendo. Felt it being shown later in the film carried a bit of mystery along the way which we would have not had if the scene was shown from the beginning.

I agree about the mystery thing. I just, myself, would have been okay trading it for what I feel would have added more tension.

Still, it doesn't take a lot away from what is a very good movie.

Robtard
Fair enough

Will admit, when we first see Shane/Punisher, I knee-jerked for a moment and thought for sure he was the rapist/murderer

-Pr-
Fair enough

Will admit, when we first see Shane/Punisher, I knee-jerked for a moment and thought for sure he was the rapist/murderer

lol same. And that thought of "I wonder how wonderfully intense his character is going to be" struck straight away.

Robtard
LoLz, I was like "oh this motherf**ker". Weren't we the emotional fools

-Pr-
LoLz, I was like "oh this motherf**ker". Weren't we the emotional fools

I was so surprised when I saw him in interviews. He's so laid back it's ridiculous. Just shows how good an actor he is.

riv6672
Having the flashback earlier would have neutered this movie.

Rick Deckard

Originally posted by riv6672
Having the flashback earlier would have neutered this movie.

Agree 200% with this. If the flashback had been shown earlier, the movie wouldn't have been nearly as good or as effective.

However, showing it exactly when they did (right after the FBI agent knocked on the trailer door) was perfectly placed - since, right up to that point, you didn't really know what happened re: the crime. The level of suspense is palatable right before the flash-back, which is exactly the way it should be.

I've always hated movies that show you the end at the beginning, and then tell the story. It's ridiculous - in these cases we know everything that happens ahead of time, and there is no real suspense involved. So, I'm very glad that Wind River didn't go this route.

Timing is everything, in movies & in life....

-Pr-
I honestly don't think it would have hurt the movie that much, but fair enough.

Esau Cairn
All the way up to the flashback, the general sense was only ever one suspect.

Then there was the sense that the guys were only protecting their own against the FBI & local law enforcement.

Until the dawning reveal that the guys were actually protecting themselves from being complicit in not just one death but two.

Having the flashback closer to the end of the movie makes the viewer, IMO, sympathise once again with the dead woman instead of burying her character as just part of the plot.

Rick Deckard
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
All the way up to the flashback, the general sense was only ever one suspect.

Then there was the sense that the guys were only protecting their own against the FBI & local law enforcement.

Until the dawning reveal that the guys were actually protecting themselves from being complicit in not just one death but two.

Having the flashback closer to the end of the movie makes the viewer, IMO, sympathise once again with the dead woman instead of burying her character as just part of the plot.

Yes, agree completely with this as well. Right up until the flash-back, I was thinking that the boyfriend (who was revealed to be JB) killed the woman, and then was himself killed somehow. Great misdirection here.

It wasn't until the flashback itself that we actually saw what happened. Also, showing the flash-back when they did illustrated that the FBI agent was in extreme danger by knocking on that door - which is something that was not at all obvious before she went up to the door. Again, this was brilliantly placed.

If the flashback had occurred earlier, the movie would just have been a relatively standard suspense film.

Going along with this, I felt the film was superbly edited - the editing was one of the best parts of the movie. In fact, I don't think one scene should have been modified/changed - it was that good.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Rick Deckard
In fact, I don't think one scene should have been modified/changed - it was that good.

This was definitely a brilliant movie/experience.

The only minor gripe I had was giving Renner's character a sad backstory about his own daughter being murdered.

It's easy to understand why he didn't hesitate to help the FBI agent in tracking down the alleged killer as his own daughter's death was a motivating factor but it just felt a bit unnecessary to add that past grief to Renner's character.

Even if the film was to make the public aware of the amount of missing girls that go un-reported every year, I just felt it didn't need Renner to have the same backstory.

riv6672
Yeah, well said.
Editing is one of those things that can make or break a movie, and this was just brilliantly done.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
This was definitely a brilliant movie/experience.

The only minor gripe I had was giving Renner's character a sad backstory about his own daughter being murdered.

It's easy to understand why he didn't hesitate to help the FBI agent in tracking down the alleged killer as his own daughter's death was a motivating factor but it just felt a bit unnecessary to add that past grief to Renner's character.

Even if the film was to make the public aware of the amount of missing girls that go un-reported every year, I just felt it didn't need Renner to have the same backstory.

I looked it as a simple way to explain why he's part of the community and not seen as an outsider by the older folk.

Originally posted by riv6672
Yeah, well said.
Editing is one of those things that can make or break a movie, and this was just brilliantly done.

Yeah the editing was excellent. I don't think the movie has any real weakness.

riv6672
^^^A little longer showing Elizabeth Olsen's tushy would have been nice...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.