Is there any such thing as an "honest business"?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Sort of an extension of my "mob ties" thread, but more general.

Lets start with people I know personally:

A local corner market had the best lobster bisque I've ever had. For 8 dollars, you get thiss gigantic cup that had to be at least 24 oz's, and half of that was full of lobster meat. Eventually, the owner semi retired and rented out his location, and the lobster bisque left with him.

I end up meeting the owner at a field everyone takes their dogs to, and as we're casually talking, he gets to telling me how his wife made the bisque. And then casually says how they'd use dead lobsters from the tank.

Which you're not supposed to do because they turn poisonous around 3 hours after they die. Who knows how long they were dead for, and wtf would he ever tell anyone they did that?

Example 2: I know two people who got caught stealing from their company. I also know a woman who showed her cooked books to an auditor posing as a buyer..

Then there's the guy who owned five Dunkin's, stocked all five with undocumented labor, and got caught (Probably because the idiot got so arrogant about his rags to rich's success, he didn't even bother making sure they knew the word "coffee", "hot", "cold", or "cream". Seriously. Someone probably tipped off the authorities, and they investigated, and he lost everything.

My point is, it seems like I can point out a lot of various wheeling and dealing from right here, so I have to wonder if ANYONE is completely legit, or if everyone does something a little shady/unethical to keep in business/shore up profits.

Like, if I met a genie and wished that only completely honest business men were left on Earth, how many business's would be left?

jaden101
Originally posted by cdtm
Sort of an extension of my "mob ties" thread, but more general.

Lets start with people I know personally:

A local corner market had the best lobster bisque I've ever had. For 8 dollars, you get thiss gigantic cup that had to be at least 24 oz's, and half of that was full of lobster meat. Eventually, the owner semi retired and rented out his location, and the lobster bisque left with him.

I end up meeting the owner at a field everyone takes their dogs to, and as we're casually talking, he gets to telling me how his wife made the bisque. And then casually says how they'd use dead lobsters from the tank.

Which you're not supposed to do because they turn poisonous around 3 hours after they die. Who knows how long they were dead for, and wtf would he ever tell anyone they did that?

Example 2: I know two people who got caught stealing from their company. I also know a woman who showed her cooked books to an auditor posing as a buyer..

Then there's the guy who owned five Dunkin's, stocked all five with undocumented labor, and got caught (Probably because the idiot got so arrogant about his rags to rich's success, he didn't even bother making sure they knew the word "coffee", "hot", "cold", or "cream". Seriously. Someone probably tipped off the authorities, and they investigated, and he lost everything.

My point is, it seems like I can point out a lot of various wheeling and dealing from right here, so I have to wonder if ANYONE is completely legit, or if everyone does something a little shady/unethical to keep in business/shore up profits.

Like, if I met a genie and wished that only completely honest business men were left on Earth, how many business's would be left?

Given the ridiculousness of legislation businesses have to adhere to I'd guess almost everybody breaks some kind of law at some point. Be it health and safety, food hygiene, Trades descriptions laws, liability insurance. Given some of those cover things such as which chemicals you can use to clean certain things, types and positioning of electrical outlets, wording of advertising, temperature of hot holding food etc etc. The lists are endless. Then there's documented training of staff, applications for specific licenses. If you play a radio in the workplace you need an entertainment license for example. Everyone let's something slip at some point. So technically they'd be breaking the law and so would be dishonest.

Surtur
One time I saw this little girl running a little lemonade stand. Chances are even that business wasn't 100% "honest".

One sure warning sign someone isn't 100% legit: they tell you they are 100% legit.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.