London Fire

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Thor
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-london-40239008

Poor London sad

ArtificialGlory
It just can't get a break, it seems.

Beniboybling
Pretty awful yeah, a lot of evidence pointing to gross negligence on the council's part being the cause.

Steve Zodiac
Fires happen, sadly usually when precautions aren't taken. As I understand it warnings were given this place was a fire risk when it was renovated... Not good. I would hate to have that on my conscience.

Bashar Teg
did they build the thing out of matchsticks? i thought high rise apartments were constructed with the sole purpose of this not happening.

Steve Zodiac
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
did they build the thing out of matchsticks? i thought high rise apartments were constructed with the sole purpose of this not happening. Pretty much...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-fire-residents-predicted-a-catastrophe-in-chilling-warnings-but-claim-safety-fears-fell-on-a3564591.html

The poor never catch a break.

Bashar Teg
i often see new apartment buildings being built here with no firewalls. not high-rises, but still these are 4-5 stories of nothing but timber and sheetrock. and these are not projects, either. newly constructed, middle class, and even breaking into upper-middle.

Darth Thor
Yes it is strange that this happened. When constructing apartments there's all sorts of Fire safety checks you have to pass.

Steve Zodiac
@Bash Yup, happens here all the time in the UK also, we have a book called the 17th edition building regs which should be followed and checked, I know because a while ago I retrained as an Electrician something I had trained in, in my teens, before going back to my previous career which I had studied at University to follow and needed a break from due to all sorts of things. @ DT Often those checks can be avoided if the project involves a big contract. Same as it ever was.

Darth Thor
It's absolutely Awful. Witnesses say kids were screaming out the window shouting for help.

@ Steve yeah sounds like it was refurbished on the cheap bypasssing whatever checks they could.

Beniboybling
Which is ironic given this took place in London's richest constituency.

Steve Zodiac
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Which is ironic given this took place in London's richest constituency. Ironic and somewhat telling.

Beniboybling
30 confirmed dead, 70 still missing, Theresa too much of a chicken to meet with any of the victims. This is going to have a major impact on the Tories' reputation tbh.

The Nuul
so there is currently a fire in my building that is close the my unit, i can see and smell black smoke. with in 5 mins there is now 6 fire trucks, 4 paramedics, 5 cop cars

not making this up

The Nuul
the fire department told me to stay inside my unit so now i am trapped on the 16th floor, there is 200 units in my building

The Nuul
anyway, i won't derail this topic any further.... thumb up

Beniboybling
I hope your alright mate. sad

Surtur
Here is an article I recently saw:

Two women feared dead in Grenfell Tower were 'threatened with legal action' for raising alarm about fire safety

It's disturbing and it seems like the management or whoever is in charge knew about the safety problems in the Tower and did nothing.

Originally posted by The Nuul
the fire department told me to stay inside my unit so now i am trapped on the 16th floor, there is 200 units in my building

Originally posted by The Nuul
anyway, i won't derail this topic any further.... thumb up

Your profile says you have not posted since you made that last post. Are you okay?

Bashar Teg
not that im drawing any conclusions, but look who else stopped posting.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f61/t643167.html

Surtur
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
not that im drawing any conclusions, but look who else stopped posting.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f61/t643167.html

The strange thing is Jake still checks the forum. If you look at his profile his last post was on the June 9th, but he last logged in on the 15th.

Surtur
Things seem to be getting bad there and people are apparently getting very frustrated. I guess there was an incident where some protesters over the fire attacked a man(including striking him hard on the side of his head) they thought was a conservative politician.

The guy will be okay, but it turns out the guy wasn't a politician and had actually been volunteering to help victims of the fire in the days before the attack.

jaden101
So in the wake of this the authorities have been doing fire tests on the cladding of other tower blocks in London and across the country.

They are currently at 181 buildings tested....and 181 of them have failed fire tests.

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
So in the wake of this the authorities have been doing fire tests on the cladding of other tower blocks in London and across the country.

They are currently at 181 buildings tested....and 181 of them have failed fire tests.

The Clash predicted this way back in 1977.

What is the fix, if any, are they talking about?

ArtificialGlory

I assume heads are going to roll over this?

Beniboybling
They launched an official inquiry, corporate manslaughter charges are being considered, some buildings have been evacuated, and assume all of them will have to be re-clad.

Right now there is a lot of pressure on local council members to resign as they'd been handling the fallout piss poorly.

ArtificialGlory
Oh, I hope the bastards get a good reaming.

Beniboybling
Yeah, same.

jaden101
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
I assume heads are going to roll over this?

Who knows. I've dealt with health and safety legislation in the past and two people I know work in the field. They both believe that compliance to legislation is a box ticking exercise specifically designed to make liability when big problems occur very difficult to attribute. It'll be made even more complicated in this case due to contracting and sub-contracting the work. Finding a single person responsible for saying "don't use the fire resistant stuff....use the cheap stuff" will be almost impossible.

cdtm
Who knows. I've dealt with health and safety legislation in the past and two people I know work in the field. They both believe that compliance to legislation is a box ticking exercise specifically designed to make liability when big problems occur very difficult to attribute. It'll be made even more complicated in this case due to contracting and sub-contracting the work. Finding a single person responsible for saying "don't use the fire resistant stuff....use the cheap stuff" will be almost impossible.

"...specifically DESIGNED to make liability...difficult to attribute."

Are we talking about the people that are supposed to be regulating business/industry? Because the way that's worded, makes it sound like safety regulation is just a big scheme for industry to avoid having to pay for their ****ups.

I mean, if we're talking "specifically designed" to protect them from liability, that follows no one's really focusing on the good of the public here.. Just on keeping that public from being able to do much if enough of them die horribly in a fire.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.