At what point did man get his "Immortal Soul"?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Beniboybling
Christians and other religious folk believe that people are in unique possession of immortal souls, but for those (sensible) theists who accept the facts of evolution, at what point do you believe we attained it? That is to say, did the Neanderthals possess immortal souls? The homo erectus? Monkeys? Was God on our side when the other sub-species got wiped out? Let's get some honest answers.

Patient_Leech
How does one measure the size or weight of a soul? Or perhaps it's volume? How many souls fit into the bottle of a genie?

shock

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
How does one measure the size or weight of a soul? Or perhaps it's volume? How many souls fit into the bottle of a genie?

shock The School of Conjuration teaches that souls are measured by the gems they're captured by.

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
The School of Conjuration teaches that souls are measured by the gems they're captured by. You should post more often mate

Surtur
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
The School of Conjuration teaches that souls are measured by the gems they're captured by.

Demi-Liches do love them some gems. Bling bling and all that.

Surtur
Though for a serious answer it's hard to say because it would depend on if you think every living thing has a soul or not. Does my cat have a soul? Does the spider I just killed have a soul?

Is it sentience that confers a soul to someone? Evolution? Since remember there was never any single "first homo sapien".

Stealth Moose
Everything has souls, including those microbials you murdered washing your hands and the grass you crippled leaving your house.

riv6672
Originally posted by Patient_Leech

shock
There's the 21 gram theory:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_MacDougall_(doctor)

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by riv6672
There's the 21 gram theory:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_MacDougall_(doctor)

Says his methods were flawed and unreliable.

Again I'll point out that you first need a way to quantify said "souls," i.e. prove that they exist.

Even our unique consciousness is difficult to quantify, and as Surter said, there wasn't a "first homo sapien." So no doubt consciousness evolved gradually as well. Even looking at animals it's obvious to me now that they are creatures with evolving consciousness. Look at insects with sort of blind life vs. dogs or cats with individual personalities.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.