Captain America vs. Thor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FrothByte
This is not a fight to determine the winner, since we all know that Thor wins. This thread is to discuss how long Cap can last against Thor and how much of a fight will he be able to put up. After all, IM was able to hang with Thor for a bit and Cap was able to give IM a bit of trouble.

The rules are thus:

Cap is armed with his shield for all rounds. Both Cap and Thor have full knowledge of each other's capabilities.

Round 1: Thor is unarmed and limited to h2h combat.
Round 2: Thor has Mjolnir but is limited to melee attacks
Round 3: Thor has Mjolnir and is going all out

Each round is 3 minutes long. If Cap can last for 3 minutes he wins that round. Does he have a chance?

Psychotron
Nope.

K-Dog
If he can keep Thor from actually grabbing (and therefore taking) the shield, then yes due to shield's shock absorption qualities (with Caps agility letting him move and dodge enough as well). But I doubt he can stop Thor from grabbing the shield for that long. And of course this is only for scenario one.

FrothByte
Originally posted by K-Dog
If he can keep Thor from actually grabbing (and therefore taking) the shield, then yes due to shield's shock absorption qualities (with Caps agility letting him move and dodge enough as well). But I doubt he can stop Thor from grabbing the shield for that long. And of course this is only for scenario one.

Well to be clear, I don't want Cap to go all Mayweather and just run around, dodging Thor and trying to survive the round. Both of them are giving their all in the fight. Which means Cap will need to deliver blows as well.

KingD19
If Cap has trouble with Loki. The most he does is like turns Thor's head and get a smile from him. But he is not going to be more than an annoyance.

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, Loki was tossing Cap around with embarrassing ease. Even if we take into account that Cap has improved some since then, he'd still get his ass handed to him here. Like I could literally see Thor just yanking the shield out of his hands and smacking him over the head with it.

Sable
Seems spite in all 3 rounds. Someone really hates Captain America.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by FrothByte
Well to be clear, I don't want Cap to go all Mayweather and just run around, dodging Thor and trying to survive the round. Both of them are giving their all in the fight. Which means Cap will need to deliver blows as well.

But that's literally the only way he'll last longer than 5 seconds.

BruceSkywalker
as much as I love Cap, I just don't see how he can win

Utrigita
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Yeah, Loki was tossing Cap around with embarrassing ease. Even if we take into account that Cap has improved some since then, he'd still get his ass handed to him here. Like I could literally see Thor just yanking the shield out of his hands and smacking him over the head with it.

Wasn't it argued on the board at some point, or am I misrecalling, that Cap given his Super Serum, is also at status quo? So since Cap is always at his peak, there is no difference between the Captain America we see in the first movie, and the Captain America we see in the Civil War in regards to what feats they should be able to perform?

Originally posted by Darth Thor
But that's literally the only way he'll last longer than 5 seconds.

thumb up

Henry_Pym
Thor crushed Tony's armor pre-IM3 nerf. H2H he has zero chance.

Round 2 is probably Steve's best chance, Thor did down himself (and a forest) by stupidly hitting the shield. It would give Steve a chance to stick and move.

Round 3 is like fighting a giant vacuum with a bug zapper inside it.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Utrigita
Wasn't it argued on the board at some point, or am I misrecalling, that Cap given his Super Serum, is also at status quo? So since Cap is always at his peak, there is no difference between the Captain America we see in the first movie, and the Captain America we see in the Civil War in regards to what feats they should be able to perform?

Yeah, but at a later point Chris Evans himself came out and said that Cap improves as the films go on, which muddles that whole point. And even if we assume his stats stayed the same, his actual H2H abilities and mastery over what he is capable of very clearly improves as the films progress. For example, if let's say that in CA:TFA or The Avengers he physically had the capability to pull of the CA:TWS quinjet kill, in terms of pure stats, it doesn't mean he would have had the skill and finesse required to pull it off. If you give someone the exact same physical stats as a heavyweight UFC champion, it doesn't mean they'd be able to stalemate them in a fight. They'd still need the training and experience that goes along with the physical capabilities.

Sable
Cap gets crushed in a stupid mismatch.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Utrigita

thumb up

I was one of those who brought up that point but have since then changed my stance. I still believe that Cap is at his physical peak, that he doesn't get stronger or faster in each successive movie. However, I do think he gains better skill and experience and thus is able utilize his enhanced physicality a lot more efficiently.

For example, I think he's just as strong in CW as he was in TFA, but I do think he has learned to fight a lot better and has learned to utilize his strength and speed to perform more agile movements.

Josh_Alexander
Cap could definetly last more than 3 mins. There is practically no way Thor can pen that shield.

Darth Thor
Urm... Pull it off him, with his superior strength.

Shoot him in the legs...

Whip him up in a tornado...

Josh_Alexander
Urm... Pull it off him, with his superior strength.

Shoot him in the legs...

Whip him up in a tornado...

Cap certainly survives the H2H and the Strikes. Cap is still a better fighter than Thor. Surely he would dodge/block the hits.

The tornado is a good one. However Cap would still block the impact. Also the Tornado takes time, Cap only needs 3 mins.

Inhuman
Thor can basically stand there with his arms crossed and Cap wouldn't be able to harm him.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Inhuman
Thor can basically stand there with his arms crossed and Cap wouldn't be able to harm him.

Yeah, true but this thread concerns how long could Cap last Thor, not if Cap can defeat Thor.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Inhuman

Well, Loki was getting beaten by Cap. So isnt' like Thor can just stand there inmune to Cap's attacks.

Nevan
Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
Well, Loki was getting beaten by Cap. So isnt' like Thor can just stand there inmune to Cap's attacks. He can.

Loki himself was unharmed by Cap's blows.

Thor has taken serious hits by the Hulk and didn't die.

John Murdoch
Thor got his head pounded into the ground by Hulk in Grandmaster's arena until a plot point vision in his head unlocked his super saiyan powers. That did all of nothing; no lasting damage or even a scratch.

Cap is doing all of jack squat to Thor, especially after Ragnarok.

Thor grabs Cap's shield, smirks, and throws Cap into the sky whether Cap is still holding onto the shield or not.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Nevan
He can.

Loki himself was unharmed by Cap's blows.

Thor has taken serious hits by the Hulk and didn't die.

He didn't die. Dying and being harmed aren't synonyms.

Thor ain't a Juggernaut! A punch from Cap will be felt.

I do believe Thor would defeat Cap, but not in 3 mins, that's irrational.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by John Murdoch
Thor got his head pounded into the ground by Hulk in Grandmaster's arena until a plot point vision in his head unlocked his super saiyan powers. That did all of nothing; no lasting damage or even a scratch.

Cap is doing all of jack squat to Thor, especially after Ragnarok.

Thor grabs Cap's shield, smirks, and throws Cap into the sky whether Cap is still holding onto the shield or not.

The only chance Thor has of defeating Cap within the 3 mins is IF Thor manages to remove Caps shield.

But again, why should Cap allow that? Cap is still the better fighter.

Otherwise not even lightning should do damage. The Shield is still>> any power we've seen so far.

Darth Thor
Cap is still a better fighter than Thor. Surely he would dodge/block the hits.

Nah. Cap has done nothing impressive without powers.

The tornado is a good one. However Cap would still block the impact. Also the Tornado takes time, Cap only needs 3 mins.

Have you seen the first Thor film?

Sounds like you havent.

Josh_Alexander
Nah. Cap has done nothing impressive without powers.

Have you seen the first Thor film?

Sounds like you havent.

...You mean Thor hasn't done anything impressive without powers..

Even without powers Cap still knows how to fight. Thor is a great fighter, but he relies more on powers.

Yes i have. Still how will Thor damage Cap exactly? The shield would still tank the blow! And the Shockwave of such an impact would still send both of them flying away like in Avengers.

So??

ShadowFyre
Block a tornado with a shield. **** having seen Thor 1. Have you ever seen the weather channel? Or Twister?

Putinbot1
Thor goes through elite Shield operatives like they are children.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Block a tornado with a shield. **** having seen Thor 1. Have you ever seen the weather channel? Or Twister?

Wasn't the Destroyer able to shoot at Thor? Also, the destroyer was defeated not only due to the impact of Mjolnir but also due to the heat of it's beam.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Putinbot1
Thor goes through elite Shield operatives like they are children.

And although he won was still beaten to hell by a single guard.

Stats equalized Cap beats Thor, and that's a fact.

Silent Master
Thor was never beaten to hell by a Shield Agent. it took him a bit longer to beat the last guy, but Thor didn't wasn't even slightly hurt.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Silent Master
Thor was never beaten to hell by a Shield Agent. it took him a bit longer to beat the last guy, but Thor didn't wasn't even slightly hurt. ]

And cap would have beaten the crap out of that guy way way faster with the same level of strength and just his abilities!

Thor isn't the best fighter in the MCU!

With powers Thor is the top gun, otherwise he ain't.

Silent Master
Regardless of your opinion regarding Cap's skill, doesn't change the fact that you lied about Thor being beaten to hell.

Josh_Alexander
Regardless of your opinion regarding Cap's skill, doesn't change the fact that you lied about Thor being beaten to hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOd6DRz5Gj0

minute 1:31......Isn't that getting beaten? The guy ain't even a top fighter!!! laughing out loud

And Silent "beaten to hell" is an expresion, ain't like Thor was sent to Surtur's home planet. laughing out loud

Silent Master
It's an expression that implies a of level of disadvantage or damage that Thor never suffered.

Basiaclly, you lied.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/beat+the+hell+out+of

Josh_Alexander
It's an expression that implies a of level of disadvantage or damage that Thor never suffered.

Basiaclly, you lied.

Your own link: 1. To deliver a violent and prolonged physical attack. This phrase can be used both literally and hyperbolically.

I never stated it literal.

The fact is that Thor had issues with a single big shield agent who isn't even considered a top fighter.

So again, Thor aint the best MCU fighter. Period.

Josh_Alexander

Basiaclly, you lied.

Basically you are beginning to troll.

Silent Master
Calling you out on your lies doesn't make me a troll. it makes you a liar that's been caught.

Josh_Alexander
Calling you out on your lies doesn't make me a troll. it makes you a liar that's been caught.

I've used your own page to prove your wrong!!! And i've used the Thor clip to prove you wrong again.

The only liar here is you.

Silent Master
No you didn't. you just proved that you don't understand what words mean.

Josh_Alexander
No you didn't. you just proved that you don't understand what words mean.

Irrelevant! You failed provide valid feats to make Thor a better fighter. Conc, you've lost. Chao chao.

Silent Master
Where did I claim Thor was the better fighter?

But, thank you for proving that I was right about you not understanding what words mean.

FrothByte
Well, Loki was getting beaten by Cap. So isnt' like Thor can just stand there inmune to Cap's attacks.

Hold up, when was Loki ever getting beaten by Cap? The one time they fought Loki was toying with Cap.

Silent Master
Hold up, when was Loki ever getting beaten by Cap? The one time they fought Loki was toying with Cap.

He also claims that Thor didn't hit Cap's shield with a charged hammer strike. despite posting a clip that clearly shows this.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/marvelmovies/images/6/6e/MjolnirVsVibranium-Avengers.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1280?cb=20140201080303

Josh_Alexander

Toying!? Cap was countering Loki pretty well before IM came into the scene.

Josh_Alexander
He also claims that Thor didn't hit Cap's shield with a charged hammer strike. despite posting a clip that clearly shows this.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/marvelmovies/images/6/6e/MjolnirVsVibranium-Avengers.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1280?cb=20140201080303

The Hammer already possesses magic regardless of being charged.

Thor didn't summon lightning on his hammer before striking the shield, therefore it ain't charged.

Stop your trolling please.

Silent Master
Lightning coming from the hammer shows that it's charged. where the lightning came from doesn't change that fact.

Josh_Alexander
Lightning coming from the hammer shows that it's charged. where the lightning came from doesn't change that fact.

No. To charge the hammer means that Thor summons a lightning along with the impact force of the hammer.

It aint the same.

Both in Jutonheim and in Sukovia Thor summoned it.

Silent Master
You don't get to define what qualifies as a charged hammer strike.

FrothByte
Toying!? Cap was countering Loki pretty well before IM came into the scene.

Let's see:

Cap threw his shield at Loki, punched him twice and kicked him... none of which could even budge Loki enough to make him step back.

In comparison, Loki hit Cap twice and completely floored him. Hit him hard enough that Cap was unable to immediately get up. And Loki hadn't even gotten to using his illusions or knives.

How exactly was Cap beating Loki?

Josh_Alexander
You don't get to define what qualifies as a charged hammer strike.

You don't get to change the movie feats.

Josh_Alexander
Let's see:

Cap threw his shield at Loki, punched him twice and kicked him... none of which could even budge Loki enough to make him step back.

In comparison, Loki hit Cap twice and completely floored him. Hit him hard enough that Cap was unable to immediately get up. And Loki hadn't even gotten to using his illusions or knives.

Loki was floored by the shield. Ain't like Loki was toying him neither.

The thing is that if Loki felt Cap's attacks then Thor should too. Am not arguing that Cap defeats Loki in a combat.

Silent Master
Let's see:

He's a troll. look at how he's arguing that a lightning augmented strike doesn't count as a charged hammer strike. he's playing semantic games.

FrothByte
Loki was floored by the shield. Ain't like Loki was toying him neither.

The thing is that if Loki felt Cap's attacks then Thor should too. Am not arguing that Cap defeats Loki in a combat.

Floored by the shield? Here is the fight:

https://youtu.be/Uq88OfYENEk

All the shield throw does is snap Loki's head back, nothing more.

Silent Master

See my previous post.

Darth Thor
Let's see:

Basically even Loki can tak out Cap in under 30seconds.

So we can only speculate how many seconds Cap would last against Thor - not very many.

Josh_Alexander

My bad, it wasn't the shield it was the blast.

Still, Loki wasn't toying Cap.

Josh_Alexander
Basically even Loki can tak out Cap in under 30seconds.

So we can only speculate how many seconds Cap would last against Thor - not very many.

You do realize that Loki has proven to be a better fighter than Thor right?

AND PLEASE NOTE! I said fighter.

Thor is superior to Loki due to raw power. Not that Thor is more agile or a smarter fighter.

TheVaultDweller

laughing

That was my exact thought as well when I read that.

Silent Master

AND PLEASE NOTE! I said fighter.

Thor is superior to Loki due to raw power. Not that Thor is more agile or a smarter fighter.

LOL!!!!!

Darth Thor

Ludicrous

Josh_Alexander
Ludicrous

Loki is faster and a better fighter than Thor. Else watch Thor 1.

The only reason Thor always defeats Loki is due to his powers.

ShadowFyre
Not ludicrous but not entirely untrue. Loki is more agile and more dextrous, nimble as well. In comicsworld and the people who argue it looking cool,spinny,flashy stuff=skill.

I think they are both equally skilled specifically to their own natural abilities.

Equalized stats- Loki vs. Thor in a knife fight. Whose winning?

Same as above. Large Warhammer

Weapon of choice can play a role in the perception of skill as well. Even without the worthy enchantment a Mjolnir like battle hammer would probably weigh 30 lbs? Maybe more? I couldn't imagine a more difficult, cumbersome weapon to use in a melee, the skill imo would be somehow not getting tagged by your opponent 5-6 times in between swings.

Knives, looks cooler for obvious reasons. Looking cool = skill. ( I would bring 2 12 inch blades to a fight before I'd ever bring a sledgehammer.)

Darth Thor

Watch Thor easily take out Shield Agents with no powers.

Watch Thor dodg and evade all of Hulks hits, including ducking back when that Jet wing was thrown at him, and then tell me with a straight face that Loki is faster, more nimble and a better combatant.

FYI Thor tells Loki in TDW that he always went easy on him.

Josh_Alexander
Watch Thor easily take out Shield Agents with no powers.

Watch Thor dodg and evade all of Hulks hits, including ducking back when that Jet wing was thrown at him, and then tell me with a straight face that Loki is faster, more nimble and a better combatant.

FYI Thor tells Loki in TDW that he always went easy on him. \

Again with the Shield agents!?

Those shield agents are not even consider high elite fighters! And yet Thor struggled with a fat big unknown guy!

Loki is a better fighter than Thor, and so is Cap.

Josh_Alexander
Not ludicrous but not entirely untrue. Loki is more agile and more dextrous, nimble as well. In comicsworld and the people who argue it looking cool,spinny,flashy stuff=skill.

I think they are both equally skilled specifically to their own natural abilities.

Equalized stats- Loki vs. Thor in a knife fight. Whose winning?

Same as above. Large Warhammer

Weapon of choice can play a role in the perception of skill as well. Even without the worthy enchantment a Mjolnir like battle hammer would probably weigh 30 lbs? Maybe more? I couldn't imagine a more difficult, cumbersome weapon to use in a melee, the skill imo would be somehow not getting tagged by your opponent 5-6 times in between swings.

Knives, looks cooler for obvious reasons. Looking cool = skill. ( I would bring 2 12 inch blades to a fight before I'd ever bring a sledgehammer.)

Stats equalized Loki would defeat Thor.

Loki is faster and way more cunning.

FrothByte

Loki is a more nimble and agile fighter than Thor but there was nothing to indicate that he's a faster and better fighter.

Josh_Alexander
Loki is a more nimble and agile fighter than Thor but there was nothing to indicate that he's a faster and better fighter.

Yes he is! He dodges Thor's attacks as if child's play.

Thor's powers is the reason he defeated Loki.

FrothByte
Yes he is! He dodges Thor's attacks as if child's play.

Thor's powers is the reason he defeated Loki.

Thor only ever used his powers on Loki once and it was in response to Loki using his powers of illusion.

That said, I rewatched the 2 Thor vs. Loki fights and you might have a point. In their first fight, Loki did land way more hits on Thor. Though to be fair, Thor was very reluctant to fight Loki.

Their 2nd fight was more even, with Loki dodging more hits whereas Thor blocked more hits. Loki landed the first hits but Thor had better combinations.

It reinforces my point that Loki is the nimbler, more agile fighter but not necessarily the better fighter.

Josh_Alexander
Thor only ever used his powers on Loki once and it was in response to Loki using his powers of illusion.

That said, I rewatched the 2 Thor vs. Loki fights and you might have a point. In their first fight, Loki did land way more hits on Thor. Though to be fair, Thor was very reluctant to fight Loki.

Their 2nd fight was more even, with Loki dodging more hits whereas Thor blocked more hits. Loki landed the first hits but Thor had better combinations.

It reinforces my point that Loki is the nimbler, more agile fighter but not necessarily the better fighter.

Thor is the big guy whereas Loki is the fastest and better fighter.

It's simple.

Thor can withstand a lot of punishment and deliver deadly blows. But Thor relies more on that than on combat abilities.

FrothByte
Thor is the big guy whereas Loki is the fastest and better fighter.

It's simple.

Thor can withstand a lot of punishment and deliver deadly blows. But Thor relies more on that than on combat abilities.

Why is Loki the better fighter? Just because he has fancier moves? If Loki chooses to dodge and Thor chooses to block, that doesn't make one fighter better than the other. It simply means they have different styles and techniques.

At this point it's near impossible to tell who's the better fighter between the two of them, since Thor doesn't go all out on Loki. Loki doesn't have the kind of fighting feats Thor does like blocking laser fire or dodging hits from Hulk.

The fairest assumption we can give is that they'r equally good fighters, with Loki being faster and Thor being stronger.

Silent Master

Are you sure Loki is more agile, emember in the last movie Thor did a jump spin move to avoid one of Hulk's attacks and on the bridge he did a move where he spun through the air like a top.

I don't recall Loki ever doing anything to match either of those.

Josh_Alexander
Why is Loki the better fighter? Just because he has fancier moves? If Loki chooses to dodge and Thor chooses to block, that doesn't make one fighter better than the other. It simply means they have different styles and techniques.

At this point it's near impossible to tell who's the better fighter between the two of them, since Thor doesn't go all out on Loki. Loki doesn't have the kind of fighting feats Thor does like blocking laser fire or dodging hits from Hulk.

The fairest assumption we can give is that they'r equally good fighters, with Loki being faster and Thor being stronger.

The fact that Loki manages to dodge and land more hits than Thor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JPkvO1e1Gw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7cjpeRuNQc&t=59s

In both cases Loki was beating Thor before he either used his powers or the battle was interrupted.

Loki is clearly a better fighter than Thor.

If stats were equalized Loki would win.

Darth Thor
Are you sure Loki is more agile

Nah hes not

Darth Thor

In both cases Loki was beating Thor before he either used his powers or the battle was interrupted.

As already mentioned, Thor always took it easy on Loki.

In any case Loki stomped Cap. Thor would stomp him even quicker. And thats without exotic powers.

FrothByte

See, you almost had me convinced that Loki is faster and nimbler, but then you had to go and ruin it with a statement like this: "In both cases Loki was beating Thor before he either used his powers or the battle was interrupted."

Uh, no, Loki was definitely not beating Thor. We both know that in a straight up h2h fight with no powers, Thor would beat Loki up.

You do realize that speed and agility are also physical stats right? So when you say "if stats were equalized" then you're basically also removing Loki's speed and agility advantage if there was any.

Josh_Alexander
See, you almost had me convinced that Loki is faster and nimbler, but then you had to go and ruin it with a statement like this: "In both cases Loki was beating Thor before he either used his powers or the battle was interrupted."

Uh, no, Loki was definitely not beating Thor. We both know that in a straight up h2h fight with no powers, Thor would beat Loki up.

You do realize that speed and agility are also physical stats right? So when you say "if stats were equalized" then you're basically also removing Loki's speed and agility advantage if there was any. '

Not according to the tapes.

Thor had to fly to overpower Loki. In the second tape the Quinjet interrupted the fight, which by the way, Thor was losing.

Thor ain't a better fighter than Loki.

FrothByte
'

Not according to the tapes.

Thor had to fly to overpower Loki. In the second tape the Quinjet interrupted the fight, which by the way, Thor was losing.

Thor ain't a better fighter than Loki.

So getting hit twice now constitutes to someone losing? Also it should be noted that Loki had started using firepower against Thor whereas Thor only stuck to melee.

Josh_Alexander
So getting hit twice now constitutes to someone losing? Also it should be noted that Loki had started using firepower against Thor whereas Thor only stuck to melee.

In most if not all Martial Arts the one who hits the more is consider the better fighter. And by hit I mean hits that connect.

The videos are clear, Thor's power is what gives him the adv over Loki.

Silent Master
You're half-right, the videos are clear. Loki only does that well because Thor has always held back when fighting his brother.

FrothByte
In most if not all Martial Arts the one who hits the more is consider the better fighter. And by hit I mean hits that connect.

The videos are clear, Thor's power is what gives him the adv over Loki.

In most, if not all martial arts, powershots are worth more than lighter shots.

Rage.Of.Olympus
How can Thor's skill as a fighter ever be contested, even against Loki, after the very first fight scene in Thor 1 and now in Thor Ragnarok where he was dominating the Hulk in weapons combat...

Silent Master
It's easy, all you have to do is ignore context. He attributes Loki doing well against Thor to Loki's skill, rather than to Thor holding back because they're brothers.

jane21august
With Captain America shield with him, I think he can Fight with Thor and may last for 3 min.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.