Sam Harris blasts the Left

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stigma
Very insightful and powerful thoughts on the failure of the Left by Sam Harris:

n-z_GAygD7c

Surtur
This is depressing because the video is from February. Sam labels the left as "irredeemable". 4 months later he has been proven to be correct. They keep losing special elections and they keep pushing narratives that push people away.

When will they learn? This has become a truly legitimate question to ask.

EDIT: I also feel this link has to do with this thread, because it has to do with someone Sam talks about, Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Kamala Harris goes silent when confronted with true sex-based oppression

dadudemon
Originally posted by Surtur
Kamala Harris goes silent when confronted with true sex-based oppression

American political leftists just don't know what to do when confronted for two social justice warrior causes unless it has to do with religion: then who cares about religious social justice causes?

Firefly218
This is depressing because the video is from February. Sam labels the left as "irredeemable". 4 months later he has been proven to be correct. They keep losing special elections and they keep pushing narratives that push people away.

When will they learn? This has become a truly legitimate question to ask.

EDIT: I also feel this link has to do with this thread, because it has to do with someone Sam talks about, Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Kamala Harris goes silent when confronted with true sex-based oppression Most religions, when practiced by someone in an orthodox fundamentalist way, can result in oppression. Do you honestly think Christians aren't guilty of crucifying a woman who has had a child out of wedlock? Do you think Christians aren't guilty of genital mutilation?

Far right ppl are trying to turn Islam into the villain because it's easy. Sure Islam has some shitty things in it, as do most religions, but the trend of fundamentalist extreme behavior we see has more to do with politics than it does with religion.

This shit is getting old you know the reasoning is airtight and yet continue to sensationalize the "threat" of Islam

Stigma
@Firefly, did you watch the clip?

What do you think about Harris's criticism of the Left?

Firefly218
Originally posted by Stigma
@Firefly, did you watch the clip?

What do you think about Harris's criticism of the Left? Everything he's saying is true, no doubt. Violent protest and censorship don't help anyone. I don't think college campus incidents characterize the left though.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Firefly218
but the trend of fundamentalist extreme behavior we see has more to do with politics than it does with religion.

Precisely.

Developing countries in which half the population is already uneducated with a lot of "mob rule" going around, and then we occupy and bomb the crud out of them. Of course they're going to be filled with Extremists and Terrorists.

But when it comes down to it, despite all the "hate" rhetoric, we really don't care, given our governments will sell arms to these people (directly or indirectly) and we don't do sh** about it.

Surtur
Most religions, when practiced by someone in an orthodox fundamentalist way, can result in oppression. Do you honestly think Christians aren't guilty of crucifying a woman who has had a child out of wedlock? Do you think Christians aren't guilty of genital mutilation?

I still don't get why people pull this kind of tactic. Yes, we ALL know a lot of religions did shitty things in the past. Thing has been established. We are focused on what is currently going on. If Christians were still crucifying at the same rate these terror attacks occur that would be a thing we talk about.

So it's a way of deflecting from what is currently going on, and currently Islam is the religion of terror, not peace.

It's just funny for you to go "Christians crucified!" and then talk about airtight reasoning. Also here is the thing, you think Islam is being used as the scapegoat and the true problem is politics. It's the other way around. You're trying to use any excuse to get away from the fact this religion is tied into their politics. Hell they have a separate law system.

Islam has shitty things as do lots of religions...yeah. But it's not "lots of religions" that are currently carrying acts of terror. It's people following Islam. We have a lot of fanatics, and usually they are shouting "Allah Ackbar!" before they do it, and you still try to spin it as "oh it's politics! All religions are like this!".

It is indeed getting old. How many more terror attacks need to happen in the name of this religion?

dadudemon
It is indeed getting old. How many more terror attacks need to happen in the name of this religion?

Are you talking about white, American, male terrorists, which are the most common terrorist in America, by far, or are you talking about Islamic Extremists?

Americans should be afraid of, in order of greatest to least amount of concern:

1. Black Men younger than 50 but older than 12.
2. White men younger than 50 but older than 12 who are religious or express too much extremist opinions on anything related to violence (left or right, doesn't matter).
3. Hispanic men younger than 50 but older than 12.
4. Young white women who identify as "bitches" in any way.

Notice that Islam shows up no where on that list? That's because you're far far more likely to be violently assaulted by a "basic b*tch" than you are by a Muslim man. In fact, if you date a "basic b*tch", your chances of being assaulted by her are greater than 100%.

So why are we scared of Muslims again? Seems like another bait-and-switch issue. Seems like we are wasting time on Muslims. My opinion would be seen as racist and sexist against white women, however. Isn't that odd? Despite the data backing up my opinion, I would be the one being called racist and sexist. erm

Silent Master
I'm not afraid of anyone on that list. however, I will admit to being wary of stupid people. Unfortunately, there are a lot of stupid people out there.

Henry_Pym
Originally posted by dadudemon
Snipped erm That isn't how proportions work...

dadudemon
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
That isn't how proportions work...

Actually, it was partially based off of the DoJ statistics and part joke.

Henry_Pym
Actually, it was partially based off of the DoJ statistics and part joke. Ok, but there isn't an equal number of Muslims to any of the groups you listed... Theoretically the dominant groups should have proportional crime.

Muslims ~<1%
Black men ~6%
White men >30%
Hispanic males ~7-10%
White Women >30%

dadudemon
Ok, but there isn't an equal number of Muslims to any of the groups you listed... Theoretically the dominant groups should have proportional crime.

Muslims ~<1%
Black men ~6%
White men >30%
Hispanic males ~7-10%
White Women >30%

You're making a very poor case for your position unless your point is that we should not be afraid of Muslims in the US.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/05/26/muslims-and-islam-key-findings-in-the-u-s-and-around-the-world/

First, let's talk about Muslim demographics: 3.3 million Muslims in the US according to that above link from Pew.

Now we just need to find Muslim violent crime in the US and we can then figure out a per capita number.

Aaaaaannnnndddddd....I can't find shit. Seriously. I cannot find anything on google.

So do you have evidence that I should be more fearful of that 1 out of 35 million chance that I will be the victim of a Muslim terror attack?

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/north-america/2010-04-02/hardly-existential?page=3

At least for immigration, they reduce crime, a point and fact I've posted about before.

"These associations are strong and stable evidence that immigration does not cause crime to increase in U.S. metropolitan areas, and may even help reduce it.

Across our studies, one finding remains clear: Cities and neighborhoods with greater concentrations of immigrants have lower rates of crime and violence, all else being equal."

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/fact-check-immigration-doesnt-bring-crime-u-s-data-say/

So, find me some numbers. Because according to what research and facts we do have, living in a neighborhood of Muslim immigrants is far far safer than living in a neighborhood of young black or white men.

Henry_Pym
Ok I was originally doing some light hearted trolling, now I honestly don't think you understand proportions.

I also like how you are using a country not importing Muslims in mass because the UK definitely hasn't had multiple attacks recently, France certainly doesn't have an issue with roaming gangs attacking and robbing trucks on the highway, Germany having no go zones where the police can't go or Sweden's rape statistics doubling...

Nope that doesn't happen here so let's just pretend that it isn't the issue of why Poland and Hungary have huge Fascist party support, why Gert was a serious contender in Brussels or why Finland has roaming skinheads with government support. Or why Bulgaria is legally allowing a man with a helicopter to hunt "refugees" to keep them out or why Greece may leave the EU with a literal Nazi party in charge of their country.

Patient_Leech
Far right ppl are trying to turn Islam into the villain because it's easy. Sure Islam has some shitty things in it, as do most religions, but the trend of fundamentalist extreme behavior we see has more to do with politics than it does with religion.

It absolutely has everything to do with religion. Islam teaches violent, oppressive behavior. That's undeniable. It's built into the core of the books. It's a horrible, vile worldview. So it's not a coincidence that Islamists/Muslims are the ones committing these acts of violence and terrorism.

Very insightful and powerful thoughts on the failure of the Left by Sam Harris:

n-z_GAygD7c

Good video and it is a bit ironic that the Left is actually ironically behaving like oppressive Right wing totalitarianism by using violence to shut up opinions instead of speaking reasonably about it.

And his mention of "stealth theocracy" is a little disturbing. The ideals of Islam are extremely anti-liberal. So this is actually truly ironic and bizarre.

Patient_Leech
Islam has shitty things as do lots of religions...yeah. But it's not "lots of religions" that are currently carrying acts of terror. It's people following Islam. We have a lot of fanatics, and usually they are shouting "Allah Ackbar!" before they do it, and you still try to spin it as "oh it's politics! All religions are like this!".

This.

dadudemon
Ok I was originally doing some light hearted trolling, now I honestly don't think you understand proportions.

If I do not know what a per capita representation means, then why am I the only one that has posted and cited per capita statistics and research results... wink

I used the correct term, in context: per capita.

Start using that instead of "proportions."

*Cut irrelevant post*

Okay, if you want to get into a per capita conversation, you need to fulfill your end of this conversation. I cannot find anything at all to support your position for my fear.

I live in the US. I live in Oklahoma.

Find me data that tells me I should be afraid of Muslims purely from a per capita standpoint. I did not ask for a population comparison as I've already provided a commentary on that.

Hold up your end of the conversation. Prove your point. Do not use red herrings or strawman arguments: post and debate directly to the topic.

Where is the "violent crimes per capita for Muslims" data?

If you can produce even loose research into that and post some numbers, then we can have a discussion about how scared I should be of US Muslims.

Robtard
Statistically, if you're going to be the victim of a gun shooting in OK, it's going to come from a white male between the ages of 17 - 62, DDM.

"Beware the White man, for he is the devil's pawn. Among God's peoples, he most kills for sport, or lust or greed. Yes, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a dessert of his home and yours. Shun him. Drive him back into his suburban lair: For he is the harbinger of death."

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
Statistically, if you're going to be the victim of a gun shooting in OK, it's going to come from a white male between the ages of 17 - 62, DDM.

"Beware the White man, for he is the devil's pawn. Among God's peoples, he most kills for sport, or lust or greed. Yes, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a dessert of his home and yours. Shun him. Drive him back into his suburban lair: For he is the harbinger of death."

Shhh...some people don't like to read about how white people can be bad and dangerous.

ArtificialGlory

Wat. Anyway, white suburbia is probably the place where you're least likely to be murdered.

Robtard
Shhh...some people don't like to read about how white people can be bad and dangerous.

#snowflakes

dadudemon
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Wat. Anyway, white suburbia is probably the place where you're least likely to be murdered.

No, that honor goes to US Asian suburbia. Want to be safe but do not mind old Asian ladies constantly watching you? Move into an Asian district.

Henry_Pym
If I do not know what a per capita representation means, then why am I the only one that has posted and cited per capita statistics and research results... wink

I used the correct term, in context: per capita.

Start using that instead of "proportions."

Okay, if you want to get into a per capita conversation, you need to fulfill your end of this conversation. I cannot find anything at all to support your position for my fear.

I live in the US. I live in Oklahoma.

Find me data that tells me I should be afraid of Muslims purely from a per capita standpoint. I did not ask for a population comparison as I've already provided a commentary on that.

Hold up your end of the conversation. Prove your point. Do not use red herrings or strawman arguments: post and debate directly to the topic.

Where is the "violent crimes per capita for Muslims" data?

If you can produce even loose research into that and post some numbers, then we can have a discussion about how scared I should be of US Muslims. "Proportions" is the correct term... If you have a random white guy and a random Muslim, there is a better chance that the Muslim is an extremist.

Hilarious that you had to admit that you couldn't argue my point so you didn't even bother.

Henry_Pym

"Beware the White man, for he is the devil's pawn. Among God's peoples, he most kills for sport, or lust or greed. Yes, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a dessert of his home and yours. Shun him. Drive him back into his suburban lair: For he is the harbinger of death." they do make up 65% percent of the population... It's like saying most people who are eaten in a tiger cage are eaten by tigers.

dadudemon
"Proportions" is the correct term...

You're wrong. But you're no longer ignorant because I just educated you.

If you have a random white guy and a random Muslim, there is a better chance that the Muslim is an extremist.

Nice red herring. Try these tactics on other forum idiots.

Back to the US, again...

You're wrong. Prove me wrong. Make me admit I am wrong with actual evidence. teeehee

Hilarious that you had to admit that you couldn't argue my point so you didn't even bother.

I know, right? You're so lazy about your points. You can't even try to prove your point so I have to try for you...still come up empty handed. It's because you don't have a point. It's empty racist rhetoric.

Henry_Pym
You're wrong. But you're no longer ignorant because I just educated you.

Nice red herring. Try these tactics on other forum idiots.

Back to the US, again...

You're wrong. Prove me wrong. Make me admit I am wrong with actual evidence. teeehee

I know, right? You're so lazy about your points. You can't even try to prove your point so I have to try for you...still come up empty handed. It's because you don't have a point. It's empty racist rhetoric. concession accepted

#Triggered

Stigma
@ ddm and Henry, I am not entirley sure what you were arguing about....
However, I am curious what are your thoughts on Harris's comments and if the Left will re-evaluate their tactics?

jaden101
If violent students, anti-fa thugs and anarchists are representative of all the left then white supremacists, neo-nazis and Anders Breivik are representative of all the right....right?

Stigma
Originally posted by jaden101
If violent students, anti-fa thugs and anarchists are representative of all the left then white supremacists, neo-nazis and Anders Breivik are representative of all the right....right?
Do you think that was Harris's argument?

Henry_Pym
@ ddm and Henry, I am not entirley sure what you were arguing about....
However, I am curious what are your thoughts on Harris's comments and if the Left will re-evaluate their tactics? of course they will, you are already seeing a rush for white men who they lost hard. I think they will either field Biden or possibly Schumer but I kinda got a feeling he might replace Nancy Pelosi soon, she is starting to show her age.

Surtur
Are you talking about white, American, male terrorists, which are the most common terrorist in America, by far, or are you talking about Islamic Extremists?

Americans should be afraid of, in order of greatest to least amount of concern:

1. Black Men younger than 50 but older than 12.
2. White men younger than 50 but older than 12 who are religious or express too much extremist opinions on anything related to violence (left or right, doesn't matter).
3. Hispanic men younger than 50 but older than 12.
4. Young white women who identify as "bitches" in any way.

Notice that Islam shows up no where on that list? That's because you're far far more likely to be violently assaulted by a "basic b*tch" than you are by a Muslim man. In fact, if you date a "basic b*tch", your chances of being assaulted by her are greater than 100%.

So why are we scared of Muslims again? Seems like another bait-and-switch issue. Seems like we are wasting time on Muslims. My opinion would be seen as racist and sexist against white women, however. Isn't that odd? Despite the data backing up my opinion, I would be the one being called racist and sexist. erm

Like I said, it's that we don't want it coming here. We do not want the problems Europe and the Middle East have. We have enough shit to deal with.

I also know all about "racist" facts, as I have discussed it before. The violence in Chicago, and in the country overall comes from, as you said, black males. There is a high murder rate despite whites outnumbering them by a good margin.

This is happening and BLM doesn't care. 70% of murders here unsolved, nobody truly cares. Maybe sometimes a preacher will lead a walk through the ghetto in the middle of the day and they will celebrate that nobody got killed.

A few weeks ago the news in Chicago was that there had been no murders in a few days. *That* is how bad it is, it's news when there is no actual violence. Of course that was followed up by a bunch of murders, a 17 yr. old just got shot and killed.

Which is another thing...a lot of black people vote democrat, but what have they truly done for them?

jaden101
Do you think that was Harris's argument?

When he tries to define "the left" by using those morons as the example. I'm of the left. Those spastics don't represent me or the vast majority of "the left".

Adam Grimes
Which is another thing...a lot of black people vote democrat, but what have they truly done for them? What has Trump truly done for you?

Surtur
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
What has Trump truly done for you?

I don't claim to be massively oppressed and that there is systemic racism in our institutions etc. like the blacks do. I don't blame poverty on every failure, etc.

So again, what have the Dems done? For the oppressed people?

Any thoughts, big A? Imagine you're a democrat and a black guy asks you that question, what do you say?

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101

#nailedit
#exposedthehypocrisy

Robtard
I don't claim to be massively oppressed and that there is systemic racism in our institutions etc. like the blacks do. I don't blame poverty on every failure, etc.

"but, but, black people!!1!"

No, you just leech off the government/taxpayers and are smug about it, that's all.

Surtur
"but, but, black people!!1!"

No, you just leech off the government/taxpayers and are smug about it, that's all.

Okay Rob, come on now pal. You seem to try to make sense. You say "but but black people" but Adam originally quoted something from a post where I was talking about black people. The question was what has been done for them. Why? Because they seem to largely vote democrat no matter what. I feel it's a legit question to ask.

So then when I ask what has been done for blacks and someone comes back with "what has been done for you?!" and I respond with my situation isn't the same as the group I'm discussing claims their situation is...I'm met with "but but black people!!!!!!'.

Also you use the word "leech" as if I describe anyone who has ever gotten help from the government as leeches. No. If you truly NEED it I support it. I do not support abuse.

Adam Grimes

So again, what have the Dems done? For the oppressed people?

Any thoughts, big A? Imagine you're a democrat and a black guy asks you that question, what do you say? Can you answer my question?

Surtur
Can you answer my question?

Hmm, but Adam you clearly didn't answer mine, but you expect me to answer yours? Typical, but okie dokie.

Trump, in his few months in office, has not harmed or helped me. I'm the same as I was when he got elected. Now, blacks have been voting democrat for way longer. So you are not privy to that reasoning.

Adam Grimes
Hmm, but Adam you clearly didn't answer mine, but you expect me to answer yours? Typical, but okie dokie.

Trump, in his few months in office, has not harmed or helped me. I'm the same as I was when he got elected. Now, blacks have been voting democrat for way longer. So you are not privy to that reasoning. Ok. Now, what's the point you're trying to illustrate with that question?

Surtur
Ok. Now, what's the point you're trying to illustrate with that question?

The point was after so very very long of voting democrat what have they done for them?

I'm guessing if you had an actual answer you would have responded with it.

Robtard
Um, maybe the Civil Rights act signed by Lyndon B. Johnson which also did away with racial segregation, some people might call that a pretty big step forward for racial equality in regards to Black Americans. /that

#history

Henry_Pym
Um, maybe the Civil Rights act signed by Lyndon B. Johnson which also did away with racial segregation, some people might call that a pretty big step forward for racial equality in regards to Black Americans. /that

#history After apposing their rights for all of US history before that and the 63' Civil Rights bill passed with 80% Republican approval... Why don't you look how Democrats voted.

#ActualHistory

Adam_PoE
After apposing their rights for all of US history before that and the 63' Civil Rights bill passed with 80% Republican approval... Why don't you look how Democrats voted.

#ActualHistory

Why don't you look where those Dixiecrats who were opposed to the Civil Rights Act went when Democrats endorsed it? The Republican Party.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Why don't you look where those Dixiecrats who were opposed to the Civil Rights Act went when Democrats endorsed it? The Republican Party.

This is actually one of those US Liberal lies that keeps getting reposted over and over and over by naive and ignorant Democrats.

Name all the Dixiecrats from 1964. Then name all of the Dixiecrats that moved to the GOP.

Go ahead.

The best I can find is 3. Three.

Beniboybling
Which is another thing...a lot of black people vote democrat, but what have they truly done for them? Provided affordable healthcare. sick

Surtur

#history

Lol so to be clear you had to dip way back into the 1960s in order to find something they did? Okay man, yeah, history indeed.

Robtard
LoL, this.

Since you'll just keep moving the goalpost, cos that's a tactic "massive phaggots" employ. Why don't you just name the decade you'll accept as being valid under your special rules and we'll go from there, sport. Go on.

Steve Zodiac

Brilliant 😂

dadudemon
Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
Brilliant 😂

Yup, I like Robtard, too. Clever fella, that man. smile

Also, welcome to KMC. I am not very active but it is always nice to see new posters.

Surtur
LoL, this.

Since you'll just keep moving the goalpost, cos that's a tactic "massive phaggots" employ. Why don't you just name the decade you'll accept as being valid under your special rules and we'll go from there, sport. Go on.

Holy shit, are you retarded? Why do I need to name the decade? How about you just cite recent shit they did? No? Can't? Stop whining then.

Did you truly think I was asking about shit they did for them 40 years ago? Truly? Say you thought that, because DDM is calling you a clever fella, please prove him wrong. Tell me you figured I was asking about shit that happened in the 1960s as opposed to more current shit.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.