Ad Astra

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
Deep space film with a "Heart of Darkness" vibe. Sounds cool...

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/tommy-lee-jones-brad-pitt-in-deep-space-movie-ad-astra

The Lost City of Z looked really good, too. I still want to see that.

mehedi067
not well

Patient_Leech
Yeah, after seeing The Lost City of Z I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. Z has great cinematography and a pretty compelling little historical story. So I look forward to a space sci-fi thriller from this guy...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0336695/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

Patient_Leech
Looks pretty cool...

SYLQdxec5lM

BruceSkywalker
looks good

Robtard
dp

Robtard

riv6672
Seems interesting. thumb up

BruceSkywalker
saw the trailer again prior to dark phoenix, this looks really, really good

Impediment
Tommy Lee Jones is the man.

Robtard
Going to try and catch this on opening night.

jaden_2.0
Saw this tonight. Very strange. Reminded me a lot of The Grey with Liam Neeson crossed with Sunshine by Danny Boyle.

Weirdly empty and soulless but that seemed to be the point. Every character that wasn't Brad Pitt seemed totally irrelevant.

Good to see Donald Sutherland in it. Always thought he was dead. But again, his character seemed to have zero purpose.

Very strange. Will need to have a read up on it to make more from it.

Robtard
Hmmm. Don't think i watched The Grey all the way through, but I really ejoyed Boyle's Sunshine.

Does it try to be too far up its own ass? hate it when otherwise solid films do that.

jaden_2.0
Aye it does a bit. A lot of philosophical monologues.

Excellent portrayal of near future space technology.

It brought up a lot of potential issues around country's implementing a kind of cold war on the moon over resources then it just ignores all the themes and questions it raises because in one of Brad Pitt's character's psyche evaluations he mentions that he ignores everything that is not essential and so all those things are irrelevant to him.

In the end it just boils down to him and his abandonment issues while he calmly goes about completing his mission.

There's some weird space monkey stuff too. Literal killer monkeys in space eating dude's faces off.

Robtard
Lol, know I have to see this. Daddy issues and killer apes!

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Saw this tonight. Very strange. Reminded me a lot of The Grey with Liam Neeson crossed with Sunshine by Danny Boyle.

Hm.. interesting. I like both of those movies, so I guess that's a good thing..

BrolyBlack
I made a thread about this before leech but it was deleted.smile

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by Robtard
Lol, know I have to see this. Daddy issues and killer apes!

Sounds like JA

Eon Blue
This will flop.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
I made a thread about this before leech but it was deleted.smile

You're clearly drunk. drunk

Oliver Brown
The film's geography takes us on a cross-solar system journey, but the real trajectory is deep into the human experience - finding meaning in life and coming to grips with being left behind.

tkitna
This was terrible. Dialogue consisted mostly of Pitts mind. Just boring to me and I was anxious to watch it. What a let down.

Lord Lucien
It's never a good sign when a realistic-feeling sci-fi set in the solar system has Mars, Jupiter, Saturn etc. all lined up in a neat row as the hero in his spaceship heads outward.

Bland character, bland daddy-issue plot element, irksome science stuff (messages from Mars to Neptune take longer than a couple minutes to send and receive), and several grander themes that never really take shape.

It looks good though. Score was pretty tense.

Darth Thor
I cant believe how pointless this movie was.

Really bad end climax.

Lord Lucien
Ruth Negga's character had the most promise, but they did nothing with her. Donald Sutherland was pointless. Liv Tyler was extra pointless.

Everything that got introduced was left at the introduction. Nothing mattered, there was no emotion.

This movie was Kevin Sorbo-level of disappointed.

Robtard
Was torn here, did enjoy parts, though a lot of it did seem pointless by the end. Not sure I'll watch this again, even though a second viewing could sort some shit out.

eg ***spoiler ahead*** Pitt's dad was hanging around trying to fix the ship as it was causing damage to the Earth right, then he commits suicide when they're about to fix the problem via self destruct mode. Why not just blow yourself,the ship and the problem up long ago old man.

I also watched this late night and was very tired, so I found my mind wandering too many a time.

tkitna
Originally posted by Robtard
Was torn here, did enjoy parts, though a lot of it did seem pointless by the end. Not sure I'll watch this again, even though a second viewing could sort some shit out.

eg ***spoiler ahead*** Pitt's dad was hanging around trying to fix the ship as it was causing damage to the Earth right, then he commits suicide when they're about to fix the problem via self destruct mode. Why not just blow yourself,the ship and the problem up long ago old man.

I also watched this late night and was very tired, so I found my mind wandering too many a time.

Didn't his dad actually find or discover life elsewhere and wanted to share it with his son, who he somehow knew would come? I very well could be way, way off though.

carthage

BrolyBlack

Patient_Leech
I watched this and enjoyed most of it.

I'll admit that I was tired as f#ck and started falling asleep during the end, so I'll have to go back and watch it again more closely, BUT...

Rabid space monkey! Are you kidding me?! That was one of the greatest things I've ever seen in a movie... possibly largely because it was so unexpected! laughing out loud

I also really liked the moon pirate chase sequence! Some nice sequences in this bad boy, but like I said, I'm going to have to watch the ending a little more closely...

I'm a little surprised it got decent reviews with all the voice over they used. I always heard that was a no-no in filmmaking. Some of it even bothered me a little.

Patient_Leech

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.