Mangog vs Doomsday(H/P-DD Wars-OWAW)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

panthergod
?

Horrificus
Mangog across the board.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Eh, Classic Mangog was more of a Skyfather level beast. HP Doomsday except with a lot more versatility and magical powers. He was beating up Thor casually in an era when Thor would probably beat Hunter Prey Doomsday in a fight. He's my favorite there. Jurgen's Mangog would be interesting to see, he had some divisive opinions between Thor/Superman.

With Mangog coming back, I'm curious to see how he will be written. His last appearance in Thunderstrike was underwhelming but he was a shadow of his former self.

The Phoenix considered him a threat (Capable of finishing what it couldn't IIRC) and he was written as the "Ultimate Solution" or whatever and hyped to be capable of ending everything in his path so I hope he leaves up to his name.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Eh, Classic Mangog was more of a Skyfather level beast. HP Doomsday except with a lot more versatility and magical powers. He was beating up Thor casually in an era when Thor would probably beat Hunter Prey Doomsday in a fight. He's my favorite there. Jurgen's Mangog would be interesting to see, he had some divisive opinions between Thor/Superman.

With Mangog coming back, I'm curious to see how he will be written. His last appearance in Thunderstrike was underwhelming but he was a shadow of his former self.

The Phoenix considered him a threat (Capable of finishing what it couldn't IIRC) and he was written as the "Ultimate Solution" or whatever and hyped to be capable of ending everything in his path so I hope he leaves up to his name.
ermm

Jurgens Mangog was as powerful as Silver age Mangog. Thunderstrike Mangog was stated to be more powerful than ever.

laughing out loud @ Thor beating Doomsday though.

Doomsday rips Mangog apart.

celeyhyga17
He was a little underwhelming in his most recent appearance, but in the end they knew he could not be beat and hat to resort to bfr. Crazier still is they had the ultimate bfr master(Thor), but even that was extremely difficult to pull off.

panthergod

Thor. Beating HP Doomsday? He can't even beat Darkseid.

panthergod
Originally posted by Horrificus
Mangog across the board.
Based on...?

Horrificus
The facted, as stated above, Clasdic Mangog was create to be and written specifically as a "Skyfather-Beatee".
Which is y the comments were made over and over, in his initial appearances, that Odin himself was terrified of Mangog. That nothing could stop him. That he defeated all of Asgard, casually.
These comments were made until the shit became BORING.

He was shown to b unbeatable, except for a plot device that still didn't actually destroy Mangog.
He even gathered other powers along the way, as they were needed, matter manipulation, illusion, ability to gain power from different sources.

The point is, that is how he was written, described and the position the character was given. This has been done with many other characters. There are only 2 options, either decide that many of these characters, with far-spanning histories and huge umbrella staements being made about thier power and off-panel pasts, be completely dropped, due to portrayals that aren't dated or unquantifiable by current standards, or, bite the bullet, accept the histories and info, and simply deal with it.

Negating the histories of certain characters has become a constant issue in here. It also creates a lot if unnecessary friction.

For whatever reason, early Thor, Odin, Mangog and other storylines, were written in a way that was supposed to place the powersets, threats, characters and effects at a level above all others. "Godhood". To put the reader there, a lot had to b taken as fact, regardless of logic. But, it's still in the books.

I debate, or have debated with many of u and have been the guy wishibg I could wipe away or alter certain details of an opposing character. But, the crap was in the books. So, guess what... I lose.

We have all been there.

panthergod
The facted, as stated above, Clasdic Mangog was create to be and written specifically as a "Skyfather-Beatee".
Which is y the comments were made over and over, in his initial appearances, that Odin himself was terrified of Mangog. That nothing could stop him. That he defeated all of Asgard, casually.
These comments were made until the shit became BORING.

He was shown to b unbeatable, except for a plot device that still didn't actually destroy Mangog.
He even gathered other powers along the way, as they were needed, matter manipulation, illusion, ability to gain power from different sources.

The point is, that is how he was written, described and the position the character was given. This has been done with many other characters. There are only 2 options, either decide that many of these characters, with far-spanning histories and huge umbrella staements being made about thier power and off-panel pasts, be completely dropped, due to portrayals that aren't dated or unquantifiable by current standards, or, bite the bullet, accept the histories and info, and simply deal with it.

Negating the histories of certain characters has become a constant issue in here. It also creates a lot if unnecessary friction.

For whatever reason, early Thor, Odin, Mangog and other storylines, were written in a way that was supposed to place the powersets, threats, characters and effects at a level above all others. "Godhood". To put the reader there, a lot had to b taken as fact, regardless of logic. But, it's still in the books.

I debate, or have debated with many of u and have been the guy wishibg I could wipe away or alter certain details of an opposing character. But, the crap was in the books. So, guess what... I lose.

We have all been there.

And.. This is supposed to be more impressive than Doomsday because...?

DD stomped Apokolops and Darkseid. Who is easily as powerful as Odin if not far above him.

carver9

thumb up

TheHulkster

Yea, I'm curious as to how Aaron does this:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nu8bRz1zVQY/WRxdn5prthI/AAAAAAADvv0/ymqFMmxKztYIFn6rh3gW-tbvxYayET7tACLcB/s1600/034_020.jpg

Horrificus
Originally posted by panthergod

DD stomped Apokolops and Darkseid. Who is easily as powerful as Odin if not far above him.
Now THAT'S just silly-talk!

abhilegend
Now THAT'S just silly-talk!
Why would that be?

Galan007
http://i.imgur.com/TBasz2P.jpg

Darkseid ~ Infinite Man. ermmhappy

Horrificus
Originally posted by Galan007

Blasphemy!!

Speak not the name of the Infinite Man amonst the unclean of this forum!

Show not the false atrocities of panels depicting the Infinite Man in any state other than supremem majesty!

Oh, Infinite Man. U could not remain safe forever.

Galan, in your attempt to prove the defeat of one of my favorite characters, (Mangog), u have unknowingly stumbled across and sullied my Favorite Obscure Character.

The Infinite Man.

I will need time to recover...

abhilegend

That obviously doesn't counts.

panthergod

Correction: weakened Darkseid.

DarkSaint85
Wouldn't Mangog be amped by DD?

the Darkone
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Wouldn't Mangog be amped by DD?

Yep, Classic Mangog had the ability to feed off of physical and Energy attacks, plus Mangog feeds off hatred, rage all negative emotions. So DD would be fueling C Mangog would defeated SA Odin handily.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by abhilegend
ermm

Jurgens Mangog was as powerful as Silver age Mangog. Thunderstrike Mangog was stated to be more powerful than ever.

laughing out loud @ Thor beating Doomsday though.

Doomsday rips Mangog apart.

Where was this stated? And I know what was said in the Thunderstrike mini, but clearly this was false.

Horrificus
Where was this stated? And I know what was said in the Thunderstrike mini, but clearly this was false.
Don't b lured by his tactics. Remember, much like Mangog, abhi also gains power from the negative emotions of others.
big grin

abhilegend
Originally posted by the Darkone
Yep, Classic Mangog had the ability to feed off of physical and Energy attacks, plus Mangog feeds off hatred, rage all negative emotions. So DD would be fueling C Mangog would defeated SA Odin handily.
ermm

That feeding with emotion was only shown in Thunderstrike mini. Not in silver age. Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
His bio.

https://postimg.org/image/6xvanm6ir/
https://postimg.org/image/izt4b58kb/

He also said several times in Jurgens run how he was powered by a billion, billion beings hatred.

So it was stated in the comic but is false because you say so?

laughing out loud

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by abhilegend
ermm

That feeding with emotion was only shown in Thunderstrike mini. Not in silver age.
His bio.

https://postimg.org/image/6xvanm6ir/
https://postimg.org/image/izt4b58kb/

He also said several times in Jurgens run how he was powered by a billion, billion beings hatred.

So it was stated in the comic but is false because you say so?

laughing out loud

Not true, his energy being sustained on the emotions and hatred of others is a concept touched upon in his next appearance.

A bio isn't evidence of anything and a vague statement saying he was restored to his previous power levels (Which have varied in 3 separate occasions by that point from the original race, the left over power, and Asgardian life force) is even less conclusive.

No, read the comic and come to the conclusion you would if it was Superman.

Horrificus
After Mangog was dispersed back into the individual memvers of his race, it was found that he still survived separately from them, by absorbing hate from other sources.

Then, in the story arc wherr he takes Odin's place, (starting way back #245 or 246), it is stated that he is also able to gain power from the love of the Asgardians, for "Odin", as the Asgardians pray to Odin, (who is actually Mangog). Mangog realizes he is also getting power from positive sources now.

When Mangog is discovered, the positive emotions and prayer ends, cutting Mangog off from that power source.

It should also b noted that during this storyline Mangog was shown to use other powers, includibg the ability to actually transmute asgardians into common animals.

abhilegend
Not true, his energy being sustained on the emotions and hatred of others is a concept touched upon in his next appearance.

ermm

What are you talking about?

He states quite clearly in Thor 22 that he is powered by the hatred of a billion, billion beings.

Where is it said that he was weakened in Jurgens run if a bio and the actual comic is not enough?

And you will lowball it to hell.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.