Westley (The Princess Bride) vs The Bride

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Westley as the Dread Pirate Roberts, technically making this a "pirates vs ninja's" themed match. thumb up

Who wins?

FrothByte
Roberts studied Cappo Ferro...

John Murdoch
The duel begins with Wesley using his left hand, and it appears The Bride has the upper hand.

Wesley then switches to his right hand, and wins in dashing fashion.

Impediment
Westley's fencing sword has no chance against a Hattori Hanzo katana.

Westley's best chance is to apply a lunge & thrust technique to Kiddo's chest to kill her as quickly as possible.

KingD19
Westley's not better than every one of the Assassins and Bill.

FrothByte
A rapier will beat a katana majority of the time.

KingD19
When the person using the Katana has multiple feats of being better than the guy with the rapier?

Also yeah she has an insanely high quality sword and is more than fast enough to break it whacking it aside when Wesley tries to get in her range.

FrothByte
Originally posted by KingD19
When the person using the Katana has multiple feats of being better than the guy with the rapier?

Also yeah she has an insanely high quality sword and is more than fast enough to break it whacking it aside when Wesley tries to get in her range.

I haven't watched Kill Bill in some time so I might be mistaken, but I don't recall The Bride crossing blades with a western sword. Meaning, whatever swords she broke with her own, they were other katanas. So there's no reason to think she can break Wesley's rapier. Rapiers are generally tougher than katanas.

KingD19
Rapiers are not tougher, they are built differently. They're meant to flex and bend around other blades, especially other rapier blades. However Rapiers can be broken when up against a sharp and strong enough blade, and much easier than a Katana folded over enough times that it's legendary creator said it would be able to cut God.

Westley's sword doesn't even have a name, so why would we assume it's as tough as the Hattori Hanzo blade?

KingD19
Also who has Westley fought of note aside from Inigo Montoya using his left hand(so massively holding back)

Beatrix killed all but 1 of the Crazy 88 without a scratch while surrounded.
Killed Gogo
Killed Elle(snatched her eye out at least and left her to die)
Killed Vernita
Killed O-Ren-Ishi
Killed Bill

And all of them were world class assassins.

FrothByte
Rapiers are not tougher, they are built differently. They're meant to flex and bend around other blades, especially other rapier blades. However Rapiers can be broken when up against a sharp and strong enough blade, and much easier than a Katana folded over enough times that it's legendary creator said it would be able to cut God.

Westley's sword doesn't even have a name, so why would we assume it's as tough as the Hattori Hanzo blade?

I've handled and studied both. Believe me, rapier blades are tougher than katana blades. Rapier blades are springy. They can take a lot of abuse and still spring back to shape. Some rapier blades (not all) can be bent to extreme angles and still be able to spring back into shape.

Katana blades are very stiff, very rigid. If hit with decent force on the flat, heck even if you just cut with it at the wrong angle, there's a good chance you'll end up with a bent blade. Katanas have very little ability to spring back into its original shape. Usually once bent, it stays bent. And that's only if the katana is well made. If it's poorly made then it will break instead of bend.

Hattori Hanzo may well be a legendary sword maker but only in Japan and in comparison to other Japanese swords, or wherever it is that Kill Bill's fictional world takes place.

Not only are european blades normally of higher quality than Japanese blades during older times, the rapier is also a technologically more futuristic weapon than a katana. The fact that her Hattori Hanzo sword needed to be folded multiple times is already proof that it was made from inferior steel.

KingD19
None of that discounts what I pointed out.

What even makes us think Westley is on Bride's level?

And what compares his nameless rapier to the rarest, most sought after sword in the world said to be able to cut God?

Also thr folding technique is how katana are made regardless of metal quality.

FrothByte

And what compares his nameless rapier to the rarest, most sought after sword in the world said to be able to cut God?

Katana blades were folded multiple times because Japanese ingots had too many impurities. The folding was done to allow the steel to spread out these impurities and hopefully water them down enough to not become too concentrated on any specific area.

European steel not only had far fewer impurities than Japanese steel, but European forging techniques were advanced enough that they could leech out the the impurities from the steel.

As for what makes me think Wesley is on Bride's level, I base it on feats. Just watch their fight scenes. Wesley's blade work is far far faster than the Bride's. There's no way The Bride will be able to keep up with Wesley's slashes and thrusts, parries and ripostes.

cdtm
Originally posted by FrothByte
Katana blades were folded multiple times because Japanese ingots had too many impurities. The folding was done to allow the steel to spread out these impurities and hopefully water them down enough to not become too concentrated on any specific area.

European steel not only had far fewer impurities than Japanese steel, but European forging techniques were advanced enough that they could leech out the the impurities from the steel.

As for what makes me think Wesley is on Bride's level, I base it on feats. Just watch their fight scenes. Wesley's blade work is far far faster than the Bride's. There's no way The Bride will be able to keep up with Wesley's slashes and thrusts, parries and ripostes.

thumb up on Japanese iron.

I know a hobbyist sword smith who loves pointing this out every chance he gets (In no small part because of his Korean ancestory. wink )

If Japanese swords are to be admired, it's not by comparing the quality of their swords vs other cultures, but because of what they produced under the absolute worst conditions.

KingD19
Traditional conditions dont matter. Hanzo made the sword in current times and had access to the highest grade materials and smithing methods.

cdtm

Inigo Montoya was using his father's sword, a sword that was considered one of the finest ever made, and of such high quality that his father was killed over it.

The nameless sword stood against it fine (And would the Dread Pirate Roberts use just any sword?)

KingD19
Also a fencing sword. Not a katana that wont also bend and spring. And since his sword wasnt said to be anything special, you cant just assume or pretend it was since it also didnt do anything beyond a normal fencing sword.

Silent Master
I don't remember any gods in the kill Bill movies, so I'm fairly sure that any comments about the sword being able to cut god were just hyperbole.

KingD19
Originally posted by Silent Master
I don't remember any gods in the kill Bill movies, so I'm fairly sure that any comments about the sword being able to cut god were just hyperbole.

Duh it was hyperbole. But it was mentioned to show it was the best sword in the world.

Its all pointless though as Beatrix has beaten more opponents at once and more skilled oppobents than Westley fought.

FrothByte
Traditional conditions dont matter. Hanzo made the sword in current times and had access to the highest grade materials and smithing methods.

Then why'd he bother folding the sword? If he had high grade steel then there would be no need to fold it.

KingD19
That is how katanas are made. Especially traditionally. Its also stated that the quality of Hattori's swords are superior to all others. And the one he made for Beatrix is even better than the others he made for the Deadly Vipers.

FrothByte
That is how katanas are made. Especially traditionally. Its also stated that the quality of Hattori's swords are superior to all others. And the one he made for Beatrix is even better than the others he made for the Deadly Vipers.

So he spent countless hours folding his blades not for any practical purpose but only to stick to tradition?

Ok, even if we consider that to be true. In the end, you'll have high grade steel forged using an outdated smithing method, which still means that the katana blade will be more rigid and not as springy as the rapier blade. Meaning the katana blade will still get damaged more easily than the rapier blade.

Note that I'm not saying the rapier blade can overpower the katana blade, simply that the rapier blade will survive way more abuse than the katana blade.

Also, they claimed it was the best katana among other katanas. Did they claim it was better than other swords?

KingD19
All other "swords", not katanas.

And Hattori was the greatest swordsmith in the world and said the one he created for her was his best ever.

Westley's doesnt even have a name. Why are you trying to compare them?

On top of that i dont see Westley going against the vipers like Kiddo did.

FrothByte
All other "swords", not katanas.

And Hattori was the greatest swordsmith in the world and said the one he created for her was his best ever.

Westley's doesnt even have a name. Why are you trying to compare them?

On top of that i dont see Westley going against the vipers like Kiddo did.

Their world. Kill Bill's world. And there's really no proof of that other than hearsay.

And as i have previously mentioned, check some of the fights in Kill Bill then compare it to how Wesley fights. Wesley's swordwork os far faster than the Bride's. Everyone the Bride defeated moved about as fast (or slow) as her. She has never fought someone who used a sword as fast or as agile as Wesley.

cdtm
Rapier's are made specifically for 1 vs 1 duels.

Katana's are not..

Even Stan Sakai, the author of Usagi Yojimbo (An authority if ever there was one) wrote a European fencer beating the crap out of Japanese samurai. Usagi pretty much won on plot (More or less caught the Frenchman napping as he sliced open his belly..)

FrothByte
^ Not to mention that a rapier will have about a foot in reach advantage over the katana. Especially when you add a full lunge into that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.