Pick Seven DC Heroes to Beat Marvel's MIGHTY SEVEN

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pillow Biter
Classic fight. Normal equipment. Most recent / relevant continuity (do your best with DC!)

MARVEL's MIGHTY SEVEN

Thor (Classic)
Doctor Strange (Classic)
The Silver Surfer
The Hulk (WWH)
Gladiator
Blue Marvel
Hyperion

vs.

DC CANDIDATES (Choose 7)

Superman
Wonder Woman
Supergirl
Green Lantern (Hal)
Green Lantern (Kyle)
Green Lantern (John)
Green Lantern (Guy)
Power Girl
Doctor Fate (whichever version seems best)
Orion
Mon-El
The Flash
Martian Manhunter
Firestorm
Captain Atom
Shazam
Black Adam
Apollo (hero)
Aquaman (with Trident)
Lobo
Zatanna
Raven
Mera
Big Barda

Prof. T.C McAbe
MARVEL's MIGHTY SEVEN

Thor (Classic)
Doctor Strange (Classic)
The Silver Surfer
The Hulk (WWH)
Gladiator
Blue Marvel
Hyperion

vs.

DC CANDIDATES (Choose 7)

Superman
Wonder Woman
Supergirl
Green Lantern (Hal)
Doctor Fate (whichever version seems best)
The Flash
Black Adam

Current Superman could probably solo 3-4 from Marvel.

Pillow Biter
I can buy that there may be an argument for current Superman having higher power levels. Doubt he could solo 3-4 on his own typically--but he does tend to have a kind of dynamic power. On a good day, he might. But then again, the Hulk could start having a good day for Marvel.

I think you are overrating the Flash here. Realistically, he is supremely powerful. However, in the comics he's normally presented as a high-end mid tier. Even in the latest JLA, he referred to Superman, Wonder Woman, and the two GLS as their "four big hitters".

Heroes with variable power levels make rating a fight hard. Hulk is the biggest offender here, but Superman is also problematic. Similarly, mages tend to naturally have dynamic power of a sort--magic be magic.

To me, I might rate the fight best by taking Superman and Hulk out, and then the two Doctors. All are problematic to rate in a fight, but it doesn't seem outrageous to assume that they may cancel one another out, roughly.

Pillow Biter
My team for DC would be:

Superman
Wonder Woman
Doctor Fate
Orion
Martian Manhunter
Black Adam
Shazam

As full of Superman-clones as that is, it feels like DC's most powerful group. In some ways, New 52 was not nice to the Shazam brothers. But current DC continuity is a mess and it's hard to know where heroes stand at the moment. And Shazam and Adam have a long history of being badass.
Supergirl is tough for me. She--and other Kryptonians/Daxamites--don't seem to have the kind of dynamic power Superman does, for whatever reason. She's been shown to be near Wonder Woman level in formidability. She also has higher and lower showings than that. It's possible that Mon-El and Supergirl belong on the list instead of the Thunder Bros. That would also bring up Power Girl, of course. But I think the five Superman-clones (Shazam, BA, SG, PG, and Mon-El) are all very close in power, and it wouldn't matter much who was chosen.
Martian Manhunter is on that level, and you could probably change him up for any of the five. Wouldn't matter much.

TethAdamTheRock
MARVEL's MIGHTY SEVEN

Thor (Classic)
Doctor Strange (Classic)
The Silver Surfer
The Hulk (WWH)
Gladiator
Blue Marvel
Hyperion

vs.

DC CANDIDATES (Choose 7)

Superman
Orion
Black Adam
Lobo
Captain Atom
Wonder Woman
Shazam

Pillow Biter
captain Atom is interesting--typically a cut below the elite top tier, IMO. But in New 52 he was pretty good--though mostly in his own book doing his best Doctor Manhattan imitation. Maor Force got pretty much oine-shotted by Superman, not sure how he measured up to New 52 Atom.

Not sure I rank Lobo that high. But open to argument.

Teth: how does your team do against the Marvel team?

beatboks
Originally posted by Pillow Biter
captain Atom is interesting--typically a cut below the elite top tier, IMO. But in New 52 he was pretty good--though mostly in his own book doing his best Doctor Manhattan imitation. Maor Force got pretty much oine-shotted by Superman, not sure how he measured up to New 52 Atom.

Lobo has beaten the crap iut of pre 52 Billy (Shazam), sokoed a team that included MMH and WW, beaten the crap out of Mon-el, Capt Comet and several others as well has had many good fights with Supes.

Pre 52 Cap Atom when he learned he could draw on the quantum field is also as good if nit better than Nu52.

Why are ao many high tier characters feom Dc excluded from the options?

I'd take
Dr Fate
Raven
Flash
Capt Atom
Firestorm

Because brick characters are booring.

Pillow Biter
I just tried to pick fairly mainstream DC characters--I know they have some lesser-used high-end heroes. But so does Marvel. I am trying to stay more mainstream here.

I think DC can make a team of seven guys to match Marvel. But I think many would consider any seven choices underdogs against the Marvel seven.

TethAdamTheRock

Teth: how does your team do against the Marvel team? They lose

Pillow Biter
So basically, DC has no real combination of seven, mainstream, elite top tiers that could match Marvel's most prevalent elite top tiers.

Do we feel that maybe Marvel is on a slightly higher power level when it comes to established 'big guns'?

DarkSaint85
They do, and they're generally more or less the same.

Except you don't really have established mainstream guys. Blue Marvel, Hyperion and Gladiator combined, won't have as many appearances as a Flash, or a GL, let alone Superman or WW.

Pillow Biter
I think I included every DCU elite top tier hero that is even close to as mainstream as Gladiator, Blue Marvel, or Hyperion.

Who else does DC Have? If you start using Infinity Man, Takion, Waverider, Sodam Yat, etc.. you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

It could be that in many ways the MCU is bigger and less Earth-based, so they simply have more really high level elite top tiers that get at least semi-decent screen time.

DarkSaint85
True, and you're right. Of those seven,to have a straight brawl?

Fate
Flash
Hal
Superman
WW
Martian Manhunter
Cap Atom.

These guys would win, IMO.

Everyone laughs at MM, but his team telepathy is invaluable in team fights.

WW and Fate for magicks,Flash with his speed force tricks,Superman doing whatever he does......

Pillow Biter
I think that's more of a battleboarder. realistic take on Flash than most writers have. He's not really an elite top tier, though he does have some really good days.

I think MM's jobber aura is overdone. Again, he's a jobber to many battleboarders because realistically he should be able to beat people who have a bit more raw power, bit lack his versatility. However, comics tend to privilege power over versatility. But he's a legit elite top tier, on par with pretty much anyone at DC who isn't Superman having a decent day.

TethAdamTheRock
Anyone have the scan of the lobo vs captain marvel fight

beatboks
I just tried to pick fairly mainstream DC characters--I know they have some lesser-used high-end heroes. But so does Marvel. I am trying to stay more mainstream here.

I think DC can make a team of seven guys to match Marvel. But I think many would consider any seven choices underdogs against the Marvel seven.

Blue Marvel is far from "mainstream". I can think of a few dozen DC characters not on your list at or above his power level with many more appearances than he has. So again why the limited list. There are at least half a dozen former JLAers and a dozen JSAers not listed (the two "premier mainstream" teams) who are on or above the tier your using. And that's not even counting Legion (couple dozen more)

Captain Atom is immune to magic, so much so even Mordru couldnt affect him. That makes for one character who can no sell and occupy both Thor and Stramge. That means 6 against the remaining 5. Cap can also absorb all types of energy and radiation so he ciould weaken hulk a little but according to you he doesnt make the cut.

Flash has beaten characters that give Superman a hard time, beaten nigh omnipitant beings and the weakest flash of all (Jay) absorbed Supermans speed and left him behind.but he's mid tier? How long since you read a flash story?? He even beat the crap out of a character that beat Dianna in a WW issue.

Pillow Biter
name some mainstream DC elite top tiers I missed then

beatboks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.