Earth's Sixth Mass extinction is underway, according to a study

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
Between Overfishing, deforestation, and mass loss of habitat the study contends that we're in the middle of a mass extinction:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/11/world/sutter-mass-extinction-ceballos-study/index.html

This coincides with an earlier study that states half of all species will be gone by the mid of the century

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/feb/25/half-all-species-extinct-end-century-vatican-conference

Is there any way to reverse this or is humanity just a massive pile of shit?What do you think the future holds for the natural world, and is there anything we can do to stop deforestation/their loss of habitat?

Robtard
Unfortunately it's going to have to get REALLY bad before the masses unit to try and improve things.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
Unfortunately it's going to have to get REALLY bad before the masses unit to try and improve things.

No, deniers will still think Jesus is coming back to take them to heaven. So they'll never feel the need to do anything about it.

Robtard
Those people are almost as bad as the "the planet is in God's hands", which is just such a lazy, irresponsible and cowardly copout.

Surtur
We need a 50 year moratorium on fishing. The fish have to replenish.

S_W_LeGenD
Scientists believe that mankind itself won't last long in the future due to combination of various factors.

Perhaps the ongoing extinction event will take us with it.

Surtur
Fish do taste good though, I'm torn. Why did God make them so tasty?

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Surtur
Fish do taste good though, I'm torn. Why did God make them so tasty?
And made them so goddamn bony at the same time.

dadudemon

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
And made them so goddamn bony at the same time.

Proof that if God does indeed exist he's a dick.

riv6672
Originally posted by Robtard
Those people are almost as bad as the "the planet is in God's hands", which is just such a lazy, irresponsible and cowardly copout.
The planet IS in 'god's hands' in the sense that, there's nothing we as a species can really do in the case if a mass extinction event.
To US it would be a MAE.
To the earth it'd be less than a blink.

Man may come and man may go but earth abides.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Proof that if God does indeed exist he's a dick.

King Kandy (I miss him) said he believed that God exists and is a malevolent entity. Makes sense if you add up the evidence from a certain perspective.

Surtur
Fish becoming transgender from contraceptive pill chemicals being flushed down household drains

laughing

I can't tell if that is also proof God is a dick or proof that he doesn't exist.

Patient_Leech
bVML3vNajr0

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.