Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
Uh, yes please...

The project is soon being shopped to studios to co-finance and co-distribute.

The shoot could begin as early as Summer 2018.

Quentin Tarantino Wrote and Will Direct a Manson Family Movie

riv6672
I think it'll be interesting just going by the subject matter and it being Tarantino.

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Uh, yes please...

The project is soon being shopped to studios to co-finance and co-distribute.

The shoot could begin as early as Summer 2018.

Quentin Tarantino Wrote and Will Direct a Manson Family Movie

I'm in

Impediment
Sounds awesome.

I've read Helter Skelter and this sounds quite intriguing.

Quincy
I'm down

Firefly218
Tarantino should get Ralph Fiennes to play Manson

Quincy
That's not bad casting

Patient_Leech
Can't Tarantino pretty much do what he wants? I'd like to see him find some more lesser-knowns.

Esau Cairn
I can see him glamourising a lot of the killings & upsetting families in real life.

Do we really need to see this?

I mean it's one thing having like a biographical account from a director like Oliver Stone but Tarantino's just going to cash in on the wanton violence of this tragedy.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I mean it's one thing having like a biographical account from a director like Oliver Stone but Tarantino's just going to cash in on the wanton violence of this tragedy.

Nah, he'll probably turn it into another over-the-top revenge story, like he did with Nazis and with American slavery. lol.

Esau Cairn
Hell even a story where Manson takes over the prison & turns the prisoners into a cult following would be more his style & entertaining.

Patient_Leech
Al Pacino. Damn. The cast is sounding really good for this...

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/al-pacino-quentin-tarantino-manson-movie-1202826780/

Patient_Leech
Some images released..

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3543257/images-preview-tarantinos-upon-time-hollywood-first-look-margot-robbie-sharon-tate/

John Murdoch
I think I'll be showing up to the teatro for this one.

John Murdoch
Also, the synopsis is much more interesting to me than Tarantino doing a straight semi-biographical film about the Manson family murders.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, with Tarantino you have to expect a bit more than a simple biography. And yeah, I think it'll be hard to resist a trip to the theater for this. We don't get new Tarantino films every year.

Impediment
Sucks that Burt Reynolds died and he didn't film any the scenes he was slated for.

BruceSkywalker
looks interesting, wanna see a trailer though

Patient_Leech
Thanks, Imp, for changing the title of the thread. thumb up

Kazenji
Damon Herriman has been cast as Charles Manson

https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/damon-herriman-on-being-cast-as-charles-manson-by-tarantino-and-fincher?fbclid

never heard of him.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Kazenji
Damon Herriman has been cast as Charles Manson

https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/damon-herriman-on-being-cast-as-charles-manson-by-tarantino-and-fincher?fbclid

never heard of him.

I've never heard of him either. He's got the look, though. He just needs the Hollywood hair and makeup.

BrolyBlack
Tarintino's 9th Film!

Pitt, Decaprio, Margo Robbie.

Looks Amazing.

Scf8nIJCvs4

Patient_Leech
Oh, sweet, didn't know there was a trailer out.

Thread already exists, though:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=644049&highlight=title%3A%28Tarantino%29+forumid%3A2

ares834
As expected, this looks amazing.

Impediment
Merged.

Patient_Leech
Thanks, Imp.

Was able to watch the trailer on lunch break.

It does look great. I'm getting a little bit of a Jackie Brown vibe, though, which I've never been much of a fan of, but hopefully I'm wrong.

The cast is so awesome, though. It looks like Brad Pitt is going to kill it again, like he did in Inglourious. The "man-slaughter" line was pretty hilarious.

quanchi112
Looks very good. I found his last few films a drop in entertainment value. One can hope.

Robtard
This looks very good.

BrolyBlack
Yea it does look good. I think this is the first time Leo and Brad been in a film together

Patient_Leech
This looks so good...

IilE3l2GeiQ

Dr Will Hatch
I loved the nod to Inglorious Basterds, haha. Agreed. This looks fantastic.

Robtard
Caught this last night. Might just be my favorite Tarantino flick, Dicaprio and Pitt are both excellent in this with an extra nod to Dicaprio; imo, he's quickly shaping up to be the best actor working today.

Patient_Leech
Fu#k, with the little one and budgeting may have to wait for a cheap theater showing for this. Glad to hear it's good.

Robtard
Go by yourself to a matinee?

Senor Cage
Originally posted by Robtard
Caught this last night. Might just be my favorite Tarantino flick, Dicaprio and Pitt are both excellent in this with an extra nod to Dicaprio; imo, he's quickly shaping up to be the best actor working today.

I heard the movie has some pacing issues. Is this true? Also, I'd put Phoenix slightly above DiCaprio, but other than that, he is top 3 for sure.

Inhuman
Can't wait to see this. Tarantino always delivers.

Robtard
Originally posted by Senor Cage
I heard the movie has some pacing issues. Is this true? Also, I'd put Phoenix slightly above DiCaprio, but other than that, he is top 3 for sure.

This film has a lot of single-character focal moments and there are slow moments, but it works, as I never felt my mind wandering or my ass shifting in my seat too much.

While I felt that way many a itme with The Hateful Eight, didn't care for that film.

Phoenix is one of my tops too.

Senor Cage
Yeah, I didn't care for hateful eight either.

Patient_Leech
Hateful Eight was a little clunky, I admit, but I still enjoyed it for the performances and the sort of "greatest hits" Tarantino-style mash-up. I've been meaning to watch it again, but haven't gotten around to it.

BruceSkywalker
may see this in a few weeks

Oliver Brown
Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood is a film lover's paradise, of course, but it also plays with knowledge of the Summer of Love and how when people refer to "the '60s," they're really talking about the decade's last couple of years.

Patient_Leech
I re-watched The Hateful Eight.

I still like it, even though it overstays its welcome a little bit. It's nearly 3-hours, for crying out loud. It's not my favorite Tarantino film, but I still think the performances and fun out-of-sequence storytelling makes it enjoyable.

quanchi112
Will watch it but Tarantino is not shit when compared to the MCU so he can wait.

StiltmanFTW
Definitely interested.

Leo and Brad are completely unnecessary, though.

Robtard
Leo and Brad both kinda carry this film on their shoulders.

There's also a scene that that made me laugh not only because it was brilliant, but because it touched me on a personal level, KMC's greatest thread, the 'Bruce Lee vs Mohammad Ali' thread.

Patient_Leech
Without going into spoilers, does get into some darker and intense/violent moments?

(I'm thinking stuff similar to Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, Hateful Eight)

Robtard
Without going into spoilers, does get into some darker and intense/violent moments?

(I'm thinking stuff similar to Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, Hateful Eight)

This film goes full Tanrantino in about 0.1 seconds, not much of a spoiler, as I think 99% of viewers expect that by now.

Patient_Leech
Sweet! thumb up

Dr Will Hatch
Fantastic movie. I saw it last week, but I'm still thinking about it. It's going to hit you harder the more you know about the time period and the Manson Family though, which is why some people didn't "get" it. But yeah, it's my favourite movie this year so far.

BrolyBlack
Amazing movie. Will buy on Blu-ray

Patient_Leech
I have tickets for this tonight, but I'm having car troubles. Hopefully I can still make it. *crosses fingers*

Robtard
I'd drive you if we lived closer.

Patient_Leech
Aw, c'mon. Cali to Georgia's just a hop, skip, and a jump.

Patient_Leech
This was awesome...

BruceSkywalker
might finally see on the weekend

Patient_Leech
I'll admit that while watching it I felt like I was a little out of the loop because I didn't know much about the historical events and these old movie stars (someone tells me the two mains are made up? Is that true? I figured they were at least based on real people), but by the end of it and in retrospect I was like "Damn that was good," and Leonardo DiCaprio is just hilarious and entertaining. So it seemed a little esoteric and like sort of a nostalgia wank-fest at times, but it still delivered.

I love Tarantino's movies because you get to feel highbrow while watching trash, haha. He does really, really well-made trash. I think this one will be no different after repeat viewings. But I will admit that it maybe needed another hook in the story before the end cuz it did feel kind of long, a little too slow building. I would have liked to have seen Charles Manson with at least one other meaningful scene instead of appearing once so briefly. But a mysterious enigmatic figure is cool, too.

But goddamn Tarantino is a cinematic genius the way he gets these performances out of these actors.. highly entertaining. laughing out loud

relentless1
loved everything with Pitt and DiCaprio but I gotta say that not only was the Sharon Tate stuff pointless which is fine as that's the case with some subplots in Tarantino films but it was boring as well, id say 75% of the film is amazing but that 25% kinda brings it down a bit for me

Kazenji
Gotta wait until next week for this.

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by relentless1
loved everything with Pitt and DiCaprio but I gotta say that not only was the Sharon Tate stuff pointless which is fine as that's the case with some subplots in Tarantino films but it was boring as well, id say 75% of the film is amazing but that 25% kinda brings it down a bit for me

How familiar are you with the Manson Family? I think the more knowledgeable you are about it, the more powerful the movie ends up being.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by relentless1

I sympathize with that sentiment (except I don't think the Sharon Tate stuff was totally pointless as it came together at the end), I think Tarantino might have gotten a little carried away in the editing room with all the songs and driving and such. I thought a lot of it was sort of a nostalgia wank-fest. I think it's sort of intended as a way to soak up the scenery and live in the "world" (so to speak). But yeah, I agree I was a little bored at times. I'll be interested to see how it plays with repeat viewings.

Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
How familiar are you with the Manson Family? I think the more knowledgeable you are about it, the more powerful the movie ends up being.

Yeah, I'll be honest I wasn't very familiar with the Manson family before the film, but I sort of caught on while watching the film and then read up on it after. That helped me appreciate the film a lot more. The film is another parallel universe "vengeance flick" basically.

Dr Will Hatch
I sympathize with that sentiment (except I don't think the Sharon Tate stuff was totally pointless as it came together at the end), I think Tarantino might have gotten a little carried away in the editing room with all the songs and driving and such. I thought a lot of it was sort of a nostalgia wank-fest. I think it's sort of intended as a way to soak up the scenery and live in the "world" (so to speak). But yeah, I agree I was a little bored at times. I'll be interested to see how it plays with repeat viewings.

Yeah, I'll be honest I wasn't very familiar with the Manson family before the film, but I sort of caught on while watching the film and then read up on it after. That helped me appreciate the film a lot more. The film is another parallel universe "vengeance flick" basically.

Yeah, I think to appreciate it most, you either have to be familiar with the Manson killings or to have been alive when the movie takes place. A lot of people today don't understand just how much Tate's murder unnerved people. This was before serial killers were well known by the general public, and it helped put America in a bad mood, leading to the shitastic, cynical place we're in now. This movie was almost like a fairy tale, asking what would have happened if that hadn't happened.

relentless1

I know enough to know that in real life Tate was murdered and Tarantino switched that around as he did in Inglorious Basterds but I still found it to be boring fluff, like somebody else said tho perhaps that'll change on repeat viewings for me

Surtur
Loved the ending smile

jaden_2.0
Great acting.
Visually amazing.
Phenomenal soundtrack
Hilarious violence (for 5 minutes)
Absolutely zero plot.

tkitna
Enjoyed the movie greatly.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Absolutely zero plot.

Yeah, it sort of meanders. That's why I'm curious to see how much I'll like it when I see it for the 2nd time, 3rd time, etc..

jaden_2.0
Yeah, it sort of meanders. That's why I'm curious to see how much I'll like it when I see it for the 2nd time, 3rd time, etc..

I'll be interested to see Tarantino's thought process on it and why he chose to do that. His plots are usually very intricate. I'm guessing it's his critique on relationships in Hollywood. Everyone being detached from one another and very few meaningful personal relationships. Lots of disingenuous compliments and fakery.

The soundtrack, while brilliant, was also very jarring as it hard cut between 3 and 4 songs one after the other. Like it is reflecting how short lived times in the character's lives are as they go from one job to another.

Sometimes it felt very self indulgent. Like, ok Quentin, you love old movie posters. We don't need shots of them every 5 seconds.

Still don't know whether I liked it or not.

All I can say is that it was very weird.

StiltmanFTW
Great acting.
Visually amazing.
Phenomenal soundtrack
Hilarious violence (for 5 minutes)
Absolutely zero plot.

laughing out loud

Sums it up pretty well.

Originally posted by tkitna
Enjoyed the movie greatly.

Same.

Surtur
What bugs me is some of the critiques. Okay I can understand why some might not like the way Bruce Lee is portrayed, but I've seen more than one article that cries over the violence against the women at the end.

There was a guy there as well, it wasn't just women. And these weren't normal women they came with the intent to commit murder and thus deserved their fate. I can't get why someone would cry over violent would be murderers ending up meeting violent fates themselves.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Surtur
I can't get why someone would cry over violent would be murderers ending up meeting violent fates themselves.

Especially since Manson Family succeeded in real life.

The movie is just a fantasy that gives us a happy ending. There's nothing to be upset about.

It's less brutal than Tarantino's other films, too.

Ayelewis

zero plot? It's all there. Perhaps you do need to see it a few times to get it.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Ayelewis
zero plot? It's all there. Perhaps you do need to see it a few times to get it.

"Zero plot" was not my wording, broseph.

Ayelewis
Absolutely zero plot.

If you couldn't find a plot in this film, it doesn't say much for your critical abilities.

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by Surtur
What bugs me is some of the critiques. Okay I can understand why some might not like the way Bruce Lee is portrayed, but I've seen more than one article that cries over the violence against the women at the end.

There was a guy there as well, it wasn't just women. And these weren't normal women they came with the intent to commit murder and thus deserved their fate. I can't get why someone would cry over violent would be murderers ending up meeting violent fates themselves.

Anyone who knows who those women were wouldn't have sympathy for them.

Like I said before, I think the more you know about the Manson murders, the more this movie will impact you.

StiltmanFTW

It goes without saying.

Like I said before, I think the more you know about the Manson murders, the more this movie will impact you.

thumb up

PS. Hatch, get yourself a f*cking custom avatar. Seriously.

Surtur

Yep, the brutality of the actual murders is still worse than what we see in the movie.

Oliver Brown
The film is an unadulterated ode that only Tarantino can make, one that blends cynicism with reverence to form a portrait where beautiful faces are never at odds with grime, alcohol and giddy murder.

Inhuman
Good Movie.
Has a different tone and pace than most other Tarantino films but I still enjoyed it for what it was.

quanchi112
Never got around to seeing it. I will more than likely purchase this digitally.

Inhuman
Definitely will be better for those that are familiar with Sharon Tate and the Manson murders, even though a large portion of the film is not about that.

Patient_Leech
Watched this again with my wife this time. I still enjoyed it the second time. Possibly more. It's great. All the driving around with music bothered me a little less the second time. DiCaprio is still an absolute trip to watch... haha..

Recommend a second viewing. thumb up

Araan Eligis
Not sure why this film is being classified as a comedy-drama film.

Surtur
It was funny as hell when those manson family members get beat down. That b*tch getting a can of dog food thrown at her? Awesome.

It also provided some comedy outside the movie(with people whining about the violence done against the women with murderous intent).

Araan Eligis
There were several hilarious moments in the film but the same can be said for lots of films that wouldn't usually be considered comedies. The comedy would have to be more prevalent, or the film would have to match the expectations of the genre (whether mainstream or alternative, high brow or low brow etc.) or something imo.

Surtur
I admit it was weird it's like they wanted an excuse to give it an award but it's a good movie so they didn't need one.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Araan Eligis
There were several hilarious moments in the film but the same can be said for lots of films that wouldn't usually be considered comedies. The comedy would have to be more prevalent, or the film would have to match the expectations of the genre (whether mainstream or alternative, high brow or low brow etc.) or something imo.

thumb up

Impediment
I still haven't seen this.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.