Pre TPM Maul vs. TCW Ahsoka Tano

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
Ahsoka replaces Eldra in the fight

Canon Maul only

Who wins

DarthAnt66
Maul, lmfao.

Rockydonovang
Ahsoka destroys.
Ahsoka's performance vs grevious is more than suffecient

SunRazer
Ahsoka destroying a level 8? lol

MythLord
God I hate that tiering system.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by SunRazer
Ahsoka destroying a level 8? lol This isn't tpm maul bro
get destroyed bud

SunRazer
Half a year before TPM.

TCW Ahsoka isn't destroying a 7 (she is a 7, probs), never mind an 8.

DarthAnt66
TCW Ahsoka is probably a 5, lmfao.

Rockydonovang
Half a year before TPM.

Source?

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
I'm probably 5, lmfao.
agreed

DarthAnt66
#toasted

Man, just butter me up!

MythLord
I'd like to butter you up, Ant. smile

YousufKhan1212
Maul, most likely.

thesithmaster
TCW Ahsoka is probably a 5, lmfao.

She briefly contended with Grievous, so she's better than 5. Low 7, I guess?

But I agree. Maul is probably a low 8, so he wins.

DarthAnt66
Definitely not low 7. 7 is suppose to be the best you can be w/o "hacks" or "cheats." Briefly contending with Grievous, who's at best a 6 at that stage, doesn't qualify her as a 6.

thesithmaster
Definitely not low 7. 7 is suppose to be the best you can be w/o "hacks" or "cheats." Briefly contending with Grievous, who's at best a 6 at that stage, doesn't qualify her as a 6.

Why would TCW Grievous be a tier 6? He was besting Kenobi in Season 2- who's at the very least a tier 7 given even TPM Kenobi was a seven.

DarthAnt66
Grievous probably ascends to tier 7 with the Lost Missions and ROTS.

Grievous never bested Kenobi in Season 2. They fought and Grievous fled.

thesithmaster
Grievous probably ascends to tier 7 with the Lost Missions and ROTS.

Grievous never bested Kenobi in Season 2. They fought and Grievous fled.

He was beating him in the duel, though. He shattered Kenobi's staff and floored him with a kick, then proceeded to visibly drive Kenobi back. Yeah, Grievous fled, when Kenobi cheap-shotted him by throwing the body of a downed MagnaGuard at Grievous and holding his blade up to Grievous' neck.

DarthAnt66
No he wasn't? For starters, it was Kenobi vs Grievous and two Magnaguards. Kenobi dismantled them both while fighting Grievous. The fact Grievous shattered the staff is irrelevant given not only is it a weapon Kenobi's not familiar with, but he's not a Jar'Kai user anyway. Grievous kicking Kenobi with his back toward him isn't a remote indicator of skill - there's no way to translate that to Gillard's tier systems. It's just as legitimate as Kenobi hurling a droid at Grievous - not. We see what Grievous can do against Ventress, who I'd hesitate to put a tier 7 but I'll be generous and put her there... he was beaten. That's not to say peak Grievous can't beat her, because I believe he can, but not pre-TLM, at the very least.

That's my opinion, at the very least.

thesithmaster
No he wasn't? For starters, it was Kenobi vs Grievous and two Magnaguards. Kenobi dismantled them both while fighting Grievous. The fact Grievous shattered the staff is irrelevant given not only is it a weapon Kenobi's not familiar with, but he's not a Jar'Kai user anyway. Grievous kicking Kenobi with his back toward him isn't a remote indicator of skill - there's no way to translate that to Gillard's tier systems. It's just as legitimate as Kenobi hurling a droid at Grievous - not. We see what Grievous can do against Ventress, who I'd hesitate to put a tier 7 but I'll be generous and put her there... he was beaten. That's not to say peak Grievous can't beat her, because I believe he can, but not pre-TLM, at the very least.

That's my opinion, at the very least.

Kenobi beat one MagnaGuard before Grievous even attacked, IIRC, then was driven back but killed the other one while Grievous was no longer charging. Grievous kicked Kenobi, and then proceeeded to seriously press him. Kenobi was being given serious grief there, and then resorted to cheap-shot.
Ventress is most definitely a tier seven given her stalemate with TCW Anakin in Season three, and even AOTC Anakin is a tier seven.
Ventress beat Grievous because she was amped by the nexus of Dathomir.

DarthAnt66
It should be noted that that fight was the first time Grievous ever dished out the spinning four-arms against Kenobi, as far as I'm aware. Obi-Wan wasn't well equipped to deal with that in an environment that was absurdly narrow and small, which favors Grievous greatly. Overall though, Grievous presenting a challenge to Kenobi doesn't mean he's on-level with Kenobi. Kenobi in TPM, as a 7, pressed Maul, an 8, and Anakin in AotC /TCW movie, as a 7, pressed Dooku, an 8. To me, the best indicator to see where you're at is if Grievous can do likewise (so, if we want to assume incorrectly that he's a 7, see how he does against 8s), and given he's losing to Ventress (I don't think nexus' in Canon work like they do in Legends, and even if so, there's no indicator or implication whatsoever that the nexus was the deciding factor there), I really doubt he's coming close to pressuring Dooku in any form. Thus, I associate Grievous' performance against Kenobi similar to Kenobi's against Maul's: Grievous, a 6, is able to compete with a 7, although he's inferior, thus why he generally has to resort to trickery and/or aid to help him.

Emperordmb
Grievous<TPM Kenobi? What?

DarthAnt66
TPM Kenobi is roughly just as good as TCW Kenobi.

The only difference is one's using the dark-side "cheats" to be at 7, whereas TCW Kenobi has mastered his form to be a 7.

Different routes. Same outcome.

MythLord
lmao That's some severe lowballing.

Rockydonovang
TPM Kenobi is roughly just as good as TCW Kenobi.

The only difference is one's using the dark-side "cheats" to be at 7, whereas TCW Kenobi has mastered his form to be a 7.

Different routes. Same outcome.
I wonder hwo you reconcile this with TCW Kenobi's performances vs TCW Maul, a superior version of an 8 erm

thesithmaster
Wait, TPM Kenobi=TCW Kenobi?

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by MythLord
lmao That's some severe lowballing.
That moment when fcking sithmaster makes more sense than you do

MythLord
Than me? Or Ant?

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
I wonder hwo you reconcile this with TCW Kenobi's performances vs TCW Maul, a superior version of an 8 erm
TPM Maul's better than pre-Season 5 Maul, for starters. Not seeing what you're getting at though.

Rockydonovang
TPM Maul's better than pre-Season 5 Maul, for starters. Not seeing what you're getting at though.
and yet "fry" confirmed that powerful meant maul was superor in all aspects

Rockydonovang
Than me? Or Ant?
Ant of course

DarthAnt66
and yet "fry" confirmed that powerful meant maul was superor in all aspects
Who's "fry?"

Rockydonovang
Jason fry, shadow conspiracy, explained that when he said maul wa smore powerful, that translated othim being more skilled and physically superior

DarthAnt66
Yeah that's not Canon, lmfao.

Rockydonovang
It doesn't have to be

Its an authoritative explantion of his own work, it holds weight, your rather baseless opinon saying otherwise doesn't

DarthAnt66
No, I mean the novel isn't Canon.

Rockydonovang
Fair point

Rockydonovang
But then we have oppress's implying Season 5 Maul was more powerful, and Maul off course having better TCW feats

DarthAnt66
Opress has never seen TPM Maul, so he has nothing to gauge off of. Mandalore Maul is better than TPM Maul, but probably not the earlier incarnations. His legs limit his mobility and acrobatic-potential, and he's not as focused.

Rockydonovang
Becoz we know talzin restored maul to his former power in season 4.
That Maul's legs are enough to bride the gap between him and Kenobi as swordsmen when Kenobi is outdueling him under unfavorable circumstances is pure spitballing

DarthAnt66
Do we? We saw it took Maul some time to even pull a lightsaber back into his hand after that. It'll take some time to reach peak power again - perhaps months.

It's not just Maul's legs. It's everything. He hasn't fought in 12-some years. He's obviously not going to be as refined as he was when he fought Jinn and Kenobi. Back then, he was training and practicing brutally under Sidious. It's just a massive difference. It's going to take Maul time to get back into the groove, especially considering he's now unstable and has those legs which prevent him from doing a lot of what he could do before.

Rockydonovang
Was it not outright stated maul was restored to his former power?

Wasn't there a fact file indicating he adapted to shizz as his season 4 fight vs kenobi went on?

DarthAnt66
It's possible, but I don't personally remember it, so I'd need to see it, tbh.

Fact Files aren't Canon. It's possible that's stated, but that would be for Legends. I never saw the quote regardless though.

thesithmaster
TPM Maul is not better than TCW S4/SH/DS Maul, because he was restored to his FORMER power meaning he was TPM Maul level. No more, no less.

DarthAnt66
Can you quote me? Also, that's incredibly vague. Is the quote saying Maul's Force power is back to what it is in TPM? If that's the case, that doesn't mean he's not rusty with using the Force, as we see when he struggles to lift the saber. It's not referring to combat though, obviously.

thesithmaster
Can you quote me? Also, that's incredibly vague. Is the quote saying Maul's Force power is back to what it is in TPM? If that's the case, that doesn't mean he's not rusty with using the Force, as we see when he struggles to lift the saber. It's not referring to combat though, obviously.

It just says "Restored to his former power". Though I think that TCW S4 Maul being out of practice and rusty can put him somewhat below TPM Maul. SH/DS Maul is equal to TPM, though.

Darth Thor
That "restored to his former power" quote comes from the comic Sith Hunters. Which also likely isn't canon now. Although there is a special thanks to Katie Lucas and Dave Filoni at the end.

However the quote in question is referring to a recap of the S4 finale which Filoni has already confirmed was a completely out of practice Maul. Which is also kind of obvious.

UCanShootMyNova
Ahsoka.

thesithmaster
Originally posted by Darth Thor
That "restored to his former power" quote comes from the comic Sith Hunters. Which also likely isn't canon now. Although there is a special thanks to Katie Lucas and Dave Filoni at the end.

However the quote in question is referring to a recap of the S4 finale which Filoni has already confirmed was a completely out of practice Maul. Which is also kind of obvious.

Sith Hunters isn't Disney Canon but it's part of Legends.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Darth Thor

hmm, canon only makes things interesting I suppose

ares834
Half a year before TPM.

The comic was set half a year before TPM?! laughing out loud

Maul's stock plummeting once again.

Anyway, Ahsoka wins.

Zenwolf
Half a year before TPM.

Source? Because if so that is completely ridiculous.

Rockydonovang
Katis>TPM Maul

thesithmaster
Kaitis isn't >TPM Maul. She isn't above pre-TPM Maul, much less a tier 8 who's one of the deadliest Sith sworsdmen in history.

SunRazer
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Source? Because if so that is completely ridiculous.

Lemme take that back. Not sure where I thought I saw the info, but I can't find it now.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
God I hate that tiering system.

thumb up

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by thesithmaster
It just says "Restored to his former power". Though I think that TCW S4 Maul being out of practice and rusty can put him somewhat below TPM Maul. SH/DS Maul is equal to TPM, though.

If it's Sith Hunters, then it doesn't count.

thesithmaster
If it's Sith Hunters, then it doesn't count.

Doesn't count as in what?

DarthAnt66
That's Legends.

Rockydonovang
there may be something on starwars.com iirc

Zenwolf
Lemme take that back. Not sure where I thought I saw the info, but I can't find it now.

Hmm...alright.

Rockydonovang
Maul having any shred of his dignity left is reliant on Nova being wrong

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by thesithmaster
Kaitis isn't >TPM Maul. She isn't above pre-TPM Maul, much less a tier 8 who's one of the deadliest Sith sworsdmen in history.
pre-tpm maul didn't legitimately beat katis barring a cheap-shot.

And his subjective opinon isn't actually reliable when he himself admits he underestimated her.

I'm not seeing why we're giving thisversion of maul a legit victory here

|King Joker|
Maul having any shred of his dignity left is reliant on Nova being wrong Unfortunately, yeah, lol.

RHaggis
Half a year before TPM.

TCW Ahsoka isn't destroying a 7 (she is a 7, probs), never mind an 8.

TCW Tano a 7? I can't see her being in the same ballpark as someone like Fisto, tbh. Even for an exceptional Padawan.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by RHaggis
TCW Tano a 7? I can't see her being in the same ballpark as someone like Fisto, tbh. Even for an exceptional Padawan.
You realize that tiers were likened to the ritcher scale and the difference between 7's can be huge?

SunRazer
Originally posted by RHaggis

She could be a 6, but I meant that even giving her as much generosity as I could, she's only a 7 and thus couldn't possibly destroy Maul.

Rockydonovang
She could be a 6, but I meant that even giving her as much generosity as I could, she's only a 7 and thus couldn't possibly destroy Maul.
I tpm Kenobi is a 7...

SunRazer
Evidently a low 7.

DarthAnt66
TPM Kenobi is a 6. Only the final battle with Maul after Jinn died is a 7.

SunRazer
Is that stated?

DarthAnt66
Heavily implied, I believe. I recall Gillard ranking Kenobi "6 maybe 7," or something like that. In the same interview, he talks about how the dark-side is essentially like steroids that boost you up a level, as you know. Given Kenobi blatantly increased in performance and is demonstrably outraged, we can conclude he started as a 6 and then ascended to a 7 with the boost. It's similar with Anakin where he was a 8 as a Jedi and then boosted to 9 with the dark-side (Mace too).

After TPM, Kenobi would have went back to a 6. The following decade and an odd-some years would have been him reaching 7 "the right way" and then perfecting it enough to eventually get into level 8 around ROTS.

YousufKhan1212
TPM Obi-Wan is probably a very high 6 or a very low 7, but I'm leaning towards Ant's conclusion; baseline TPM Obi-Wan is a very high 6.

Zenwolf
Ok soo....I asked the writer when the Maul series takes place, he said he left it open but figures a year was about right.

https://twitter.com/Wolfscar12/status/891496931075248128

Which again I find bizarre but...ok I guess. Unless a source changes it later, but there ya go.

|King Joker|
https://media.tenor.com/images/5bbf2481130fa68dd1a283c4d64d2353/tenor.gif

thesithmaster
I don't think TPM Kenobi is a six. Gillard once said "six or seven" and then said "seven." That implies that Kenobi is at least somewhat of a low 7. And given he has an accolade putting him as one of the Jedi's best fighters before TPM, I don't see how he is a 6.

ares834
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Ok soo....I asked the writer when the Maul series takes place, he said he left it open but figures a year was about right.

https://twitter.com/Wolfscar12/status/891496931075248128

Which again I find bizarre but...ok I guess. Unless a source changes it later, but there ya go.

I wouldn't give him any credence on this. Maul seems way younger than he does in TPM.

But, on the other had, it does make Maul even more pathetic.

mmm

|King Joker|
Maul looks nearly identical to his TPM self in the comic. Personality-wise though, yeah, he seems a few years younger.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by ares834
I wouldn't give him any credence on this. Maul seems way younger than he does in TPM.

But, on the other had, it does make Maul even more pathetic.

mmm

/Shrug

Perhaps.

His older series was better in this regard.

Darth Thor
Who cares. We know he's a match for both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan combined by TPM. Plus we know he's a Level 8 on Gillard's ranking by then.

|King Joker|
https://twitter.com/cullenbunn/status/891700783556833281

The writer sassed me lol

But I think this confirms that the writer doesn't have a high opinion of Maul, lol.

Zenwolf
Well then. His fight with Mighella in Legends was better as far as setting and context. This fight I guess it does make sense that the writer has a low opinion of Maul, judging from the tweet.

|King Joker|
Really unfortunate. Maul doesn't deserve this, tbh.

Darth Thor
The writer sounds like a moron.

How exactly does losing to a Master+Padawan after a great fight and circumstances and killing the Master, equate to him being able to lose to a sole Padawan.

Yeah between this writer and Rebels, Disney Canon hasn't been kind to Maul at all.

Anyway Joker thanks for making Maul's case to the idiot.

ares834
You guys care a little too much about an author's non Canon opinion.

UCanShootMyNova
Joker got his ass sassed.

|King Joker|
Hidalgo doesn't know the timeline: https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/891734849815326721

Zenwolf
Why is it no one seems to know these kind of important details....it's their job right? It's been more than a year.

carthage
Maul just sucks

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by |King Joker|
Hidalgo doesn't know the timeline: https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/891734849815326721
As in, it's never been defined. So Maul's integrity is secured. thumb up

Rockydonovang
As in, it's never been defined. So Maul's integrity is secured. thumb up
So to protect maul's reputation, the writers had to make it vague who close to tpm this is? Because he's a sh!t tier combatant

DarthAnt66
I imagine it's for other reasons.

|King Joker|
Hopefully it's at least five or so years before TPM.

thesithmaster
That author treated Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan like random nobodies. WTF?

YousufKhan1212
I imagine Maul being in his late teens in this Comic series, his monologue and behaviour reminded me of a rebellious teen. Maul was 22 years old at the same of TPM, so I'm thinking this Comic series takes place 2-4 years before TPM.

Darth Thor
^ Sounds about right.

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by YousufKhan1212
I imagine Maul being in his late teens in this Comic series, his monologue and behaviour reminded me of a rebellious teen. Maul was 22 years old at the same of TPM, so I'm thinking this Comic series takes place 2-4 years before TPM.

*Time of TPM.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.