American Muslims More Accepting Than Evangelicals of Gay People

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



Adam_PoE
A recent survey has found that American Muslims are now more accepting than evangelicals of gay people.

Conducted between January and May of this year, 52% of Muslim respondents to the Pew Research Center survey said that homosexuality should be accepted by society.

However, only 34% of evangelical Protestants said they believe homosexuality should be accepted. This is the smallest percentage of any group surveyed.

Additionally, the survey found that mainline Protestants have the highest acceptance rate of gay people, with 76% saying it should be accepted by society.

Read the survey results HERE.

|King Joker|
Pretty low bar, lol, but I'm glad.

Sable
Pew researchlaughing out loud

Flyattractor
They are just saying they feel that way until they can manage to take over, then its back to their good old stoneings and tossing off of tall buildings like they really believe. The Good Muslim Way.

socool8520
The unaffiliated still rank the highest. lol

Afro Cheese
It's not really that surprising when you consider that American Muslims seem to be more moderate than their European counterparts, on average. And certainly much more moderate than Muslims that live in Muslim majority countries.

Where as American Evangelicals are among the most conservative strands of modern Christianity. That is assuming you don't include Africa, which is an entirely different story altogether.

Flyattractor
That and you have to remember that in the Muslim Religion it is ok to LIE to get your real motives and beliefs installed into the society you are invading....just pointing that out.

Surtur
Originally posted by Flyattractor
That and you have to remember that in the Muslim Religion it is ok to LIE to get your real motives and beliefs installed into the society you are invading....just pointing that out.

This is a good point. How can people truly trust any answer a Muslim gives in a survey then?

This is not to say I have a hard time believing the results of this survey.

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by Flyattractor
That and you have to remember that in the Muslim Religion it is ok to LIE to get your real motives and beliefs installed into the society you are invading....just pointing that out. i've heard that before... what is the source?

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
i've heard that before... what is the source?

Its called Al-Taqiyya. Look it up.

Surtur
I'd also be curious as to how the American Muslims that do not accept gays treat gays in comparison to how the Evangelicals who do not accept them treat them.

ArtificialGlory
Well, there's a reason why Evangelicals sometimes are called the American Taliban.

Flyattractor
That probably says more about the people who call them that then the actual evangelicals themselves.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Flyattractor
That probably says more about the people who call them that then the actual evangelicals themselves.
I think their own beliefs say enough about them. The statistic we're talking about here is just one example.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
I think their own beliefs say enough about them. The statistic we're talking about here is just one example.

It could also say something about you're beliefs, or lack thereof.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Flyattractor
It could also say something about you're beliefs, or lack thereof.
Like what? That homosexuals aren't evil or "sinful"?

Flyattractor
More about how some feel it is their cause to vilify those with religious beliefs when they themselves have none.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Flyattractor
More about how some feel it is their cause to vilify those with religious beliefs when they themselves have none.
As opposed to those with religious beliefs who feel it is their cause to vilify people based on what they do in their bedroom or whom they wish to marry? Let's not pretend that having religious beliefs somehow grants you a moral high ground.

Flyattractor
Coming from those that act the same way in the opposite way.

Kettle Pot Black.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Coming from those that act the same way in the opposite way.

Kettle Pot Black.
Are you talking about the people trying to prevent heterosexual marriages? Cause they don't really exist.

Flyattractor
No. More like those that are being punished for holding a differing opinion and trying to hold on to their beliefs. Something that happens on both sides.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Flyattractor
No. More like those that are being punished for holding a differing opinion and trying to hold on to their beliefs. Something that happens on both sides.
I'm curious as to what you mean by 'being punished'. Not being allowed to discriminate or being called out on shitty behavior and ideas is not 'being punished', if that's what you meant.

Surtur
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Well, there's a reason why Evangelicals sometimes are called the American Taliban.

So are we talking like...shit like "If you're gay you're going to hell, god hates f*gs" which is horrible, but there is the other kind of gay hatred too. There is also the "you should be in prison if you're gay or perhaps even chucked off the top of a tall building" kind of hatred.

MythLord
Yeah, but these are the most liberal Muslims out there whereas Evangelics are the most conservative Christians that exist and some of them think using the toilet or shaving is a sin, lol. laughing

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by Surtur
So are we talking like...shit like "If you're gay you're going to hell, god hates f*gs" which is horrible, but there is the other kind of gay hatred too. There is also the "you should be in prison if you're gay or perhaps even chucked off the top of a tall building" kind of hatred. I've seen Amrican Christian fundamentalists advocating the death penalty for gays. It's probably a more common train of thought than you think. It is basically in accordance with the laws of the Torah.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by MythLord
Yeah, but these are the most liberal Muslims out there whereas Evangelics are the most conservative Christians that exist...

Yeah, I was going to point out something like that. Seems like sort of a skewed survey.

I don't think we have nearly as many super conservative and strict Muslims here as in Muslim majority countries.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.