Do the police protect everyone equally?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Of course, the common wisdom is, no they don't. A guy gets robbed/murdered in Harlem or certain parts of Brooklyn, not much gets done. A student from Yale or a rich hipster neighborhood gets mugged, they spare no expense to protect them.

Or so the common belief goes.

What do you think?

Flyattractor
The Police CAN'T Protect anyone. They can only punish and clean up the messes.

This is why we have the 2nd Amendment in the U.S. Only YOU can protect yourself and your loved ones.

Surtur
Originally posted by cdtm
Of course, the common wisdom is, no they don't. A guy gets robbed/murdered in Harlem or certain parts of Brooklyn, not much gets done. A student from Yale or a rich hipster neighborhood gets mugged, they spare no expense to protect them.

Or so the common belief goes.

What do you think?

They do not protect everyone equally, but it's not because of any one factor(like race). Many variables can come into play, from the individual personality of the police officer to the city the department is located.

To use your example, the cops in Harlem probably deal with way more murders than the cops in some rich hipster neighborhood.

We can use Chicago as an example. 9 people shot since Friday afternoon. The suburbs outside Chicago have not suffered 9 people shot since Friday afternoon.

Kurk
No they don't.

As an EMS worker the same applies. Someone in a ghetto who over-dosed on heroine for the 3rd time is not going to get the same "effort" beyond what's legally required than as a normal "innocent" patient or even a wealthy one.

The best protection comes from yourself in the form of prevention and knowledge; whether that be physical or medical harm.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Surtur
They do not protect everyone equally, but it's not because of any one factor(like race).

This is dumb. You can argue that race has less of a factor than some argue but saying it doesn't come into play is just idiotic, untrue and simply ignores documentation and just the reality of culture in some places in the States. Race is one of the major defining factors in some places. Even the worst stats released are almost certainly optimistic due to ratings and reports being forged, altered and skewed over the last few decades. Even in major metropolitan areas.

It's not the 1800s out here but let's be realistic. Jim Crow laws aren't even 2 generations old. Of course massive lingering side effects on racism will still exist still, it's just human nature. It is what it is. People change really slowly with hard work generally if it all, culture (Behind closed doors) even more so.

Surtur
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
This is dumb. You can argue that race has less of a factor than some argue but saying it doesn't come into play is just idiotic, untrue and simply ignores documentation and just the reality of culture in some places in the States. Race is one of the only defining factors in some places. Even the worst stats released are almost certainly optimistic due to ratings and reports being forged, altered and skewed over the last few decades. Even in major metropolitan areas.

It's not the 1800s out here but let's be realistic.

Lol, who said it doesn't come into play? I said it's not because of any one factor, and used race as an example.

Why race? It's the go to excuse people in this country love to use.

Flyattractor
The biggest factor to this is the Hell that the people that live in those neighborhoods have made them. SO I blame them for it.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Flyattractor
The biggest factor to this is the Hell that the people that live in those neighborhoods have made them. SO I blame them for it.

Blame who exactly and to what extent? Is there an age limit? Is the 10 year old responsible for his neighbourhood's crime, the 20 year old? How far exactly do you go? What about people who move there because they can't afford housing anywhere else?

Rage.Of.Olympus
Lol, who said it doesn't come into play? I said it's not because of any one factor, and used race as an example.

Why race? It's the go to excuse people in this country love to use.

Fair enough I guess but we are discussing police inequality and there is plenty of evidence that a single factor such as race has been the case for a very long time. Racism is alive and strong in many places and calling it an excuse is silly. Some people do exaggerate of course but look at how much information is being documented with the current technology? It's still a huge factor and that's only what we see near major metropolitan areas.

Flyattractor
You're home is what you make if it and what you allow others to make of it. It is not the Cops fault that these hoods are like War Zones. You can blame that on who ever you want but BLAME is always a Personal Issue.

cdtm
You're home is what you make if it and what you allow others to make of it. It is not the Cops fault that these hoods are like War Zones. You can blame that on who ever you want but BLAME is always a Personal Issue.

You certainly can't depend on law enforcement, in the sense that they have no legal obligation to help anyone:

Three women held and raped for 14 hours because of 911 dispatcher ****up: No liability.

The court ruling claims a duty is owed to society at large, but not to individuals.

Which is almost like saying they don't owe protection to anyone at all. How can you enforce an obligation to society, if you can't even ensure they protect individuals.. A duty like that is no duty at all.

And I think most, if not all, police officers take their duty to protect and serve very seriously. I have nothing but respect for officers, my problem is with the courts and the state proving they really don't care if they do their jobs or not. They just don't care.

So yeah, what you said.

Robtard
They do not protect everyone equally, but it's not because of any one factor(like race). Many variables can come into play, from the individual personality of the police officer to the city the department is located.

To use your example, the cops in Harlem probably deal with way more murders than the cops in some rich hipster neighborhood.

We can use Chicago as an example. 9 people shot since Friday afternoon. The suburbs outside Chicago have not suffered 9 people shot since Friday afternoon.

TIL: Racism doesn't exist in police departments

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/4661988/rodney-king-tape-o.gif

Sable
70% of the police force should be black. It would help end a lot of controversy.

Steve Zodiac
Originally posted by Robtard
TIL: Racism doesn't exist in police departments

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/4661988/rodney-king-tape-o.gif Never trust a copper is my motto.

Robtard
Originally posted by Sable
70% of the police force should be black. It would help end a lot of controversy.

Or we can just be adults and recognize that there's an issue where Black men are racially discriminated against by the police more than any other group. This doesn't mean that all cops are shit.

I'd even argue that the majority are not shit, though better training should be looked into, as being a barber or appliance repair tech requires nearly twice or more hours of training as being a cop in some/most states.

Bashar Teg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpANmiBUMAIh3VT.jpg

Flyattractor
I think we need to fess up to the fact that we need to do something about the fact that most Racism is in fact a problem still being spread by the Left. Especially in this country. That Country being the U.S that is.

Beniboybling
The Police CAN'T Protect anyone. They can only punish and clean up the messes.

This is why we have the 2nd Amendment in the U.S. Only YOU can protect yourself and your loved ones. lol what a concept.

Surtur
Or we can just be adults and recognize that there's an issue where Black men are racially discriminated against by the police more than any other group. This doesn't mean that all cops are shit.

Adults would also recognize black men commit more violent crime than any other race. Adults would also perhaps acknowledge there might be a correlation and it's not just racism that causes such a thing.

Sable

I'd even argue that the majority are not shit, though better training should be looked into, as being a barber or appliance repair tech requires nearly twice or more hours of training as being a cop in some/most states.

I think more black police officers is a good thing. I don't know whats not adult about this. Also, they are faster and stronger.

Surtur
Part of being an adult includes complying with the commands of a police officer unless they are ordering you to do something really crazy or dangerous.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.