Interesting Documentary - "Rescuing Ex-Muslims: Leaving Islam"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

YousufKhan1212
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1lnxUXWGgE

This is an interesting report of the experiences of Muslims who leave Islam to become ex-Muslims.

Surtur
Even the first 10 seconds is utterly chilling. "If a person changes his religion from Islam to any other religion the punishment should be death". This isn't said with the religious zeal of some over the top Christian preacher talking about fire and brimstone, it is said very matter o factly.

What other religions will currently murder you for trying to leave? I hear it's really hard to quit Buddhism. That shit's 4 life and you need a stitch for those who dare ditch.

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by Surtur
Even the first 10 seconds is utterly chilling. "If a person changes his religion from Islam to any other religion the punishment should be death". This isn't said with the religious zeal of some over the top Christian preacher talking about fire and brimstone, it is said very matter o factly.

What other religions will currently murder you for trying to leave? I hear it's really hard to quit Buddhism. That shit's 4 life and you need a stitch for those who dare ditch.

So is there even a punishment for leaving Christianity?

Patient_Leech
I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but...

Originally posted by YousufKhan1212
So is there even a punishment for leaving Christianity?

There isn't any strict punishment for leaving the religion, no. Aside from some wacky shit in the Old Testament, there is no direct order to kill anyone who leaves the religion. And Jesus came around in the New Testament and is said to have brought some new light and perspective upon the Old Testament law.

But there is some doctrine of the "unpardonable sin"...

But I think ultimately the punishment is eternal hell fire (not death by believers). Chalk it up to more ambiguous religious nonsense. But it is one of the things that drove my brother crazy and probably ultimately caused him to kill himself. He thought he had turned against God and committed this supposed "unpardonable sin" and was thus without hope. Charming doctrines for a schizophrenic to hold on to, right? This is why it gets on my nerves when people seem to imply that religious lunacy had nothing to do with my brother's mental illness.

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but...

There isn't any strict punishment for leaving the religion, no. Aside from some wacky shit in the Old Testament, there is no direct order to kill anyone who leaves the religion. And Jesus came around in the New Testament and is said to have brought some new light and perspective upon the Old Testament law.

But there is some doctrine of the "unpardonable sin"...

But I think ultimately the punishment is eternal hell fire (not death by believers). Chalk it up to more ambiguous religious nonsense. But it is one of the things that drove my brother crazy and probably ultimately caused him to kill himself. He thought he had turned against God and committed this supposed "unpardonable sin" and was thus without hope. Charming doctrines for a schizophrenic to hold on to, right? This is why it gets on my nerves when people seem to imply that religious lunacy had nothing to do with my brother's mental illness.

Huh, sounds like leaving Christianity makes you... Crazy.

Patient_Leech
Huh, sounds like leaving Christianity makes you... Crazy.

Staying in it is crazier.

Adam_PoE

Religious belief does not lead to Schizophrenia, which appears to be a largely heritable condition.

Religious delusions are common among people with Schizophrenia, because all of the previous beliefs, experiences, and ideas of a person form the framework of his psychotic thinking.

So if religion played an important part in his life, it is not surprising that there would be a religious component within his Schizophrenic beliefs.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Religious belief does not lead to Schizophrenia, which appears to be a largely heritable condition.

I didn't say it did lead to it. It's got a genetic component, sure. Diseases have multiple factors. But it also has an upbringing component and religious delusion can only enhance anyone already prone to the anxiety, fear, and obsessive compulsions associated with schizophrenia.

SamZED
Being religious does not mix well with any disorder. Most of my OCD attacks used to revolve around it and it got pretty bad at times. In case of Schizophrenia it must be even worse than that.

Patient_Leech
^ Yup, anyone with any experience in the matter knows that religiosity does not mix well with mental illness. I hope you're overcoming both, my friend.

Patient_Leech
O1lnxUXWGgE

This is an interesting report of the experiences of Muslims who leave Islam to become ex-Muslims.

I finally watched the documentary. It's heart-breaking, especially to think that this is not a rare instance.

YousufKhan1212
I finally watched the documentary. It's heart-breaking, especially to think that this is not a rare instance.

That's why I'm secretly an ex-Muslim.

SamZED
^ Yup, anyone with any experience in the matter knows that religiosity does not mix well with mental illness. I hope you're overcoming both, my friend. I am. And thank you. smile

That's why I'm secretly an ex-Muslim.
What country are you from? Is it punishable by low to "come out" or you're keeping it a secret for the sake of your family?

Patient_Leech
That's why I'm secretly an ex-Muslim. Originally posted by SamZED
What country are you from? Is it punishable by low to "come out" or you're keeping it a secret for the sake of your family?

Yeah, I second this question. Where are you from, Yousuf?

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by SamZED

Yeah, I second this question. Where are you from, Yousuf?

I'm from England which is fortunately not a Muslim country. I'm keeping it a secret for the sake of my own safety, dignity and my relationships with my family and friends. From where I live, all of the Muslims seem to be moderates because they've spoken against extremism such as the likes of Anjem Choudary and other radical Muslims, but it would still be a bad idea if I openly declared my change of Religious faith because word can go around and might spread to other neighborhoods... Which could result in me becoming a target of oppression. But even if that doesn't happen, I would still have to be concerned about the reaction of the Muslim community. They would probably think I'm mentally ill or have been brainwashed by right wing propoganda which isn't the case. And I would get questioned a lot by Muslims about why I changed my Religion from Islam to Christianity, but that's beyond their ability to understand. Some Muslims will probably just be assholes about it. In addition to that, my parents might also have a problem with it. They're not extremely Religious, my mum thinks the Sharia is a twisted abomination of Islam, my dad thinks Muslims who commit forms of Islamic extremism are stupid, so it's good that they don't support Islamic extremism, but they would likely question why I left Islam because they think it's a Religion of peace and have got no idea how evil it is, my dad would especially think I'm being brainwashed because he has no tolerance for "superstition" or stuff like that.

Patient_Leech
...my dad would especially think I'm being brainwashed because he has no tolerance for "superstition" or stuff like that.

Isn't that a little ironic? Fear of the afterlife and belief in God is the epitome of superstition.

That's f#cked up that you have to even consider being so careful about expressing what you think in a country that's not even a Muslim majority. This is what people are rightly afraid of happening here in the USA. But those of us who are awake to realize it are considered bigots or racists (even though Islam isn't a race). Not to mention violent bombings and shootings that could spread over here at some point in the future.

YousufKhan1212
Isn't that a little ironic? Fear of the afterlife and belief in God is the epitome of superstition.

That's f#cked up that you have to even consider being so careful about expressing what you think in a country that's not even a Muslim majority. This is what people are rightly afraid of happening here in the USA. But those of us who are awake to realize it are considered bigots or racists (even though Islam isn't a race). Not to mention violent bombings and shootings that could spread over here at some point in the future.

I'm saying he would think it's superstition that I left Islam because of the amount violence associated with it, he thinks Islamic violence is only found in terrorist organisations that twist Islam, but it goes beyond terrorist organisations.

Patient_Leech
I'm saying he would think it's superstition that I left Islam because of the amount violence associated with it, he thinks Islamic violence is only found in terrorist organisations that twist Islam, but it goes beyond terrorist organisations.

Yes, of course. It's at the foundations of Islam.

https://pics.me.me/www-betteraeldamned-com-the-problem-isnt-fundamentalism-the-problem-with-tslamic-14561768.png

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.