The North Korea / United States War (2017)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
I have a strong feeling that an official Declaration of War along with direct military action will happen this month in between the U.S. and North Korea. Something, as an America citizen, I do not want to see.

I say there's a 60% chance of war happening this month and a 90% chance of it happening before the end of this year, 2017. God help us all.

What do you guys think?

Patient_Leech
This...

-Pr-
I'll be surprised if anything really comes of it, tbh. I don't see either side taking the first shot... Then again, people have been known to be that monumentally stupid, so...

Surtur
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
I have a strong feeling that an official Declaration of War along with direct military action will happen this month in between the U.S. and North Korea. Something, as an America citizen, I do not want to see.

I say there's a 60% chance of war happening this month and a 90% chance of it happening before the end of this year, 2017. God help us all.

What do you guys think?

Lol may I ask where you pulled these figures from? How'd you come up with the 60% chance thing?

Dramatic Gecko
I think if anything happens I'm going down to Hobart for a vacation.

Kurk
Y'all need to chillax and leave the apartment for once.

Bashar Teg
home is a great place to chillax, tho.

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
This...

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=16287887

^ /that

Which is fine and expected from a shitty little despot dictator like Kim Jung-On who titles himself "Supreme Leader", but not from the President of the United States. FFS, act like it for once, Trump.

BackFire
Originally posted by -Pr-
I'll be surprised if anything really comes of it, tbh. I don't see either side taking the first shot... Then again, people have been known to be that monumentally stupid, so...

Agree with this. I expect a lot of tough talk and saber rattling, but ultimately nothing will come of it. A war benefits no one.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Surtur
Lol may I ask where you pulled these figures from? How'd you come up with the 60% chance thing?

im speculating a bit but meaning i think, based on what i keep hearing and seeing, and what the 2 leaders on both sides are directly saying, there's slightly more than half a chance that it's gonna happen this by this month and highly likely by the end of the year.

that's what i feel

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Robtard
^ /that

Which is fine and expected from a shitty little despot dictator like Kim Jung-On who titles himself "Supreme Leader", but not from the President of the United States. FFS, act like it for once, Trump.

Hey Rob. Long time ..

Robtard
Hiya Fist, haven't seen your name pop up in ages

FistOfThe North
Hiya Fist, haven't seen your name pop up in ages

I know. Just came back a couple of days ago. Haven't been on since 2014. Just thought i'd pop in and say hello. I still remember our long, heated "Cloverfield" debate on here in 2008 almost 10 years ago. Man, does time fly.

Robtard
Oh, the one where I was correct as usual stick out tongue

FistOfThe North
Oh, the one where I was correct as usual stick out tongue

Haha. Sure, dude ..

|King Joker|
I'd be really surprised if a war doesn't happen within Trump's term.

Flyattractor
Could have been worse. We could have a Democrat Leftist President. That person would probably have surrendered to the Little Turd Muffin by now, and still let him nuke a few cities.

Go Trump Go!

dadudemon
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Could have been worse. We could have a Democrat Leftist President. That person would probably have surrendered to the Little Turd Muffin by now, and still let him nuke a few cities.

Go Trump Go!

There's where you're wrong. We'd have a president whose actions and policies would be very similar to Trump's and to Obama and to Bush Jr. smile

Afro Cheese
^pretty much

Flyattractor
Nah. The Hilldawg would have gotten her Pal Little Kimmy to Nuke some Red States. She is that bad of a beeyoutch.

S_W_LeGenD
This is a conflict for which majority of American citizens on the same page and support POTUS.

DPRK is threatening to wipe American cities from existence and is testing longer range missiles over time. Not wise to ignore these developments.

China and Russia are not irresponsible with their strategic assets - same cannot be said for DPRK.

It is time to take action (or) it will be too late for potentially millions in the future. A single Unified Korea will ensure lasting peace in the region.

This isn't a matter of Democrats vs. Republicans. This is about survival of countless lives across the Pacific.

Dramatic Gecko
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
This isn't a matter of Democrats vs. Republicans. This is about survival of innocent people across the Pacific.

Unfortunately asking people with a low threshold for flexible and innovative thought will never stray from the comfort of 'me vs them'. You're correct that lives should be placed first. But the echoes of stupidity are usually more present than intelligent and decisive action.

Beniboybling
This is a conflict for which majority of American citizens on the same page and support POTUS.

DPRK is threatening to wipe American cities from existence and is testing longer range missiles over time. Not wise to ignore these developments.

China and Russia are not irresponsible with their strategic assets - same cannot be said for DPRK.

It is time to take action (or) it will be too late for potentially millions in the future. A single Unified Korea will ensure lasting peace in the region.

This isn't a matter of Democrats vs. Republicans. This is about survival of countless lives across the Pacific. I agree, in order to pacify North Korea Americans should support the POTUS in escalating tensions with his mean tweets and dumb threats no wait, wait a minute-

|King Joker|
Literally all Trump is doing is reinforcing North Korea's beliefs that they need nukes for deterrence whenever he threatens them.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by |King Joker|
Literally all Trump is doing is reinforcing North Korea's beliefs that they need nukes for deterrence whenever he threatens them.
North Korea figured this out long ago. They are not going to denuclearize to appease US. And they will continue to build the capability to strike at US - sanctions or not.

DPRK is the last leg of Cold War era politics.

Originally posted by Beniboybling
I agree, in order to pacify North Korea Americans should support the POTUS in escalating tensions with his mean tweets and dumb threats no wait, wait a minute-
So POTUS should tolerate all kinds of threats issued to his country? Patriotism is a thing, my friend.

POTUS is responsible for the defense of his country. What kind of a leader is he if he does not respond to threats issued to his country?

North Korea is not just issuing verbal threats, it is testing longer range ballistic missiles to send a message. They have plans to target Guam.

Beniboybling
Lol patriotism really? Trump & America are being humiliated by NK because of his dumb empty threats, how is that conductive to patriotism? laughing out loud

And they aren't going to do shit to Guam lol. All they are doing is calling his bluff, if a war breaks out between the US & NK, it will be because America attacked first. thumb up

Lestov16

S_W_LeGenD
Lol patriotism really? Trump & America are being humiliated by NK because of his dumb empty threats, how is that conductive to patriotism? laughing out loud

And they aren't going to do shit to Guam lol. All they are doing is calling his bluff, if a war breaks out between the US & NK, it will be because America attacked first. thumb up
So you consider responses from POTUS as 'dumb empty threats' to DPRK? The latter is testing missiles and issuing terrible warnings to US on a frequent basis and you expect POTUS to be calm about it? What kind of precedent will he be setting for his country? That US is a banana republic?

I see Trump's responses as patriotic counter-verbal threats to a series of missile tests and verbal threats from an increasingly hostile DPRK. Please keep in mind that Trump warned DPRK in a civilized manner to not test missiles before his latest warning, only to see the tests proceeding.

You are also assuming that Kim Jong-Un may not back-up his verbal threats with actual action (missile tests near Guam). You think he has been experimenting with fire-crackers all these years?

How many years have DPRK spent under sanctions? 50+ I suppose. And this was not enough to deter DPRK.

How much patience do you think DPRK has for the sanctions? Sooner or later, this patience will run out.

DPRK wants to have a conversation with US from the position of strength: Look Uncle Sam! We are a nuclear power now and we have the capability to wipe your cities from existence. What you need to do is end the sanctions and embrace this new reality.

Should US cede to that, what is next? Annexation of South Korea?

So tell me - what should POTUS do about this situation?

cdtm
Not go to war.

Bloodless coup, maybe? All the conspiracy theories about the invincible black services of the U.S., and they can't even sneak in and make one leader of a third rate dictatorship vanish and be replaced with someone better for U.S. interests?

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by cdtm
Not go to war.

Bloodless coup, maybe? All the conspiracy theories about the invincible black services of the U.S., and they can't even sneak in and make one leader of a third rate dictatorship vanish and be replaced with someone better for U.S. interests?
US did not start WW2 but had to partake in it due to actions of hostile states.

Sometimes, you have to swallow a bitter pill to issues that need .

I am surprised that some members here have no sense of patriotism and concern for defense of their homeland.

If somebody wants to kill you, you people will try to restrain him (or) engage in a dialogue with him?

Sin I AM
War mongering from people whove never seen war.

Beniboybling
Or appear to have even a faint memory of America's foreign excursions in the last half century.

cdtm
Or appear to have even a faint memory of America's foreign excursions in the last half century.

Well, it WAS founded by a lot of Brits/Europeans. We had bad parents. wink

Robtard

^ Bingo

That's the problem with these rubes, NK is doing what it's been doing for a long time, waving its tiny little dick. Now they've finally found themselves with a US president whose ego is so fragile, they can make him do flips and these Trumpers can't stand it because they're looking like fools.

NK's going to test more missile as planned, Trump's going to make another threat he won't follow through, as he's already opened up with threatening death and destruction and America will be laughed at some more. Blew his load early and now he has nothing for the rest of the game.

edit: What's Trump's next move when NK test more missiles? He's already threatened destruction, so how does he up that aside from actually destroying NK? Anyone.

Beniboybling
"What would be tougher than 'fire and fury'?"

"Well you'll see, you'll see."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2017/aug/10/trump-north-korea-fire-fury-not-tough-enough-video

laughing out loud

Robtard
"What would be tougher than 'fire and fury'?"

"Well you'll see, you'll see."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2017/aug/10/trump-north-korea-fire-fury-not-tough-enough-video

laughing out loud

Yep, blew his load early and now Trump has nothing to up the game except declaring war on NK, which he can't even do. What a debacle.

Afro Cheese

This isn't a matter of Democrats vs. Republicans. This is about survival of countless lives across the Pacific. You're correct. This is a sad state of affairs where the country is so divided that hatred trumps logic.

To the people saying his threats are stupid/empty/overthetop: you couldn't be more wrong. He is responding to the provocative actions of a rogue dictatorship with threats that we won't stand for it. This is standard procedure as far as US foreign policy goes. What on earth are you actually complaining about? He should threaten them less forcefully? You just need a way to be anti-trump on every single issue. You practically worship the guy as a god, only a malevolent god that must be opposed at every opportunity.

And to the pro-trump people on this board who think I'm backing them up: you seem just as dedicated to the teamsport version of modern politics as the leftists/ant-trump people are. You're just playing for a different team.

Surtur
Speaking of NK and missiles, surely this story about Obama being informed about the NK nuclear tech in 2013 is false.

Anyways, who was the person who gutted our missile defense system? Anyone remember the guys name?

Surtur

This isn't a matter of Democrats vs. Republicans. This is about survival of countless lives across the Pacific.

They *should* be on the same page with him, but they won't. I think we both know why: it is Trump. They will not bend. They are so butthurt over losing, they can't support him. Or at the very least they can't support him without taking a shot at him. Most left leaning people I've seen support Trump felt they had to take him down a peg first, lest their fellow leftists shun them.

It's getting old, they do not care about this country. They care about being right.

Beniboybling
laughing

Sometimes I'm not sure if you're serious.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
You're correct. This is a sad state of affairs where the country is so divided that hatred trumps logic.

To the people saying his threats are stupid/empty/overthetop: you couldn't be more wrong. He is responding to the provocative actions of a rogue dictatorship with threats that we won't stand for it. This is standard procedure as far as US foreign policy goes. What on earth are you actually complaining about? He should threaten them less forcefully? You just need a way to be anti-trump on every single issue. You practically worship the guy as a god, only a malevolent god that must be opposed at every opportunity.

And to the pro-trump people on this board who think I'm backing them up: you seem just as dedicated to the teamsport version of modern politics as the leftists/ant-trump people are. You're just playing for a different team. Are people really this clueless as to how threats work?

Good lord. laughing out loud

Surtur
laughing

Sometimes I'm not sure if you're serious.

No Beni, I'm totally not serious about the bias in the country against Trump. Nor am I serious that there are people in this country who will whine over anything he does.

Surtur
Are people really this clueless as to how threats work?

I honestly believe you feel if you toss in a short quip and a smiley face it proves something lol. Maybe Rob or Bash can seal the deal and come give you a "bingo".

Beniboybling
OK Surt, all I ask is you take a moment to reflect on this issue, and come back when you've thought it through some more. sad

And no, sometimes I just like to laugh at people. sick

Surtur
OK Surt, all I ask is you take a moment to reflect on this issue, and come back when you've thought it through some more. sad

And no, sometimes I just like to laugh at people. sick

*Yawn* Pseudo-intellectuals like you bore me.

Beniboybling
Pseudo-intellectualsthat's a big word you learnt, well done. sad

|King Joker|
North Korea figured this out long ago. They are not going to denuclearize to appease US. And they will continue to build the capability to strike at US - sanctions or not.

DPRK is the last leg of Cold War era politics. They obviously will not willingly denuclearize, but threatening "fire and fury" against them will only encourage them to continue pursuing their nuclear program at an even faster rate. And if you say that Kim Jong-un will actually use their nuclear weapons once he has the capability to strike the U.S., then that implies that Kim Jong-un is a completely irrational actor and thus Trump's rhetoric of "fire and fury" would only exacerbate the problems we face with North Korea. You don't threaten someone who is insane like that.

I think increased sanctions and pressure on China is the best course of action to take, as North Korea was obviously extremely unhappy at the recent United Nations sanctions passed recently, so it seems as if they're pretty effective. Trump's ridiculous bluster isn't helping matters and is only drawing us closer to a potential conflict.

Surtur
that's a big word you learnt, well done. sad

Like I said, boring.

Surtur
They obviously will not willingly denuclearize, but threatening "fire and fury" against them will only encourage them to continue pursuing their nuclear program at an even faster rate. And if you say that Kim Jong-un will actually use their nuclear weapons once he has the capability to strike the U.S., then that implies that Kim Jong-un is a completely irrational actor and thus Trump's rhetoric of "fire and fury" would only exacerbate the problems we face with North Korea. You don't threaten someone who is insane like that.

I think increased sanctions and pressure on China is the best course of action to take, as North Korea was obviously extremely unhappy at the recent United Nations sanctions passed recently, so it seems as if they're pretty effective. Trump's ridiculous bluster isn't helping matters and is only drawing us closer to a potential conflict.

Quick question: the leader of NK is batshit insane. Can you explain why, no matter what threats are thrown, they will not be trying their hardest to pursue this program? Cuz I don't get your logic. If we chilled out, they'd slow down? You truly believe that?

It seems to me thinking like that is what got us here in the first place. Obama was apparently warned about this in 2013, he did nothing and gutted our missile defense system.

|King Joker|
Quick question: the leader of NK is batshit insane. Can you explain why, no matter what threats are thrown, they will not be trying their hardest to pursue this program? Cuz I don't get your logic. If we chilled out, they'd slow down? You truly believe that?

It seems to me thinking like that is what got us here in the first place. Obama was apparently warned about this in 2013, he did nothing and gutted our missile defense system. Well, I don't think we know for sure whether or not Kim is actually insane, which is the problem. They will be trying their hardest to advance their program, yes, but provoking them with threats of military action clearly doesn't help or make them reconsider -- the only thing it can do is backfire with continued escalation and start a conflict. Pursuing more extreme sanctions and continuing to put pressure on China is really the only logical thing to do at this stage.

Robtard
They *should* be on the same page with him, but they won't. I think we both know why: it is Trump. They will not bend. They are so butthurt over losing, they can't support him. Or at the very least they can't support him without taking a shot at him. Most left leaning people I've seen support Trump felt they had to take him down a peg first, lest their fellow leftists shun them.

It's getting old, they do not care about this country. They care about being right.

https://media.tenor.com/images/3d1a9bf37c30ac6cc9f34f80c4f00802/tenor.gif

Robtard

Exactly, this is like threatening your neighbor with death if he parks in your space again and then following it up with a mean note of "you better watch it!" when he calls your bluff and does it again.

Surtur
Well, I don't think we know for sure whether or not Kim is actually insane, which is the problem. They will be trying their hardest to advance their program, yes, but provoking them with threats of military action clearly doesn't help or make them reconsider -- the only thing it can do is backfire with continued escalation and start a conflict. Pursuing more extreme sanctions and continuing to put pressure on China is really the only logical thing to do at this stage.

I would argue the fact we can't for sure say he isn't insane is enough. But he sure does act like an insane war criminal.

This is the same country that thinks the guy doesn't poop. Or at least they put that propaganda out.

Surtur
Exactly, this is like threatening your neighbor with death if he parks in your space again and then following it up with a mean note of "you better watch it!" when he calls your bluff and does it again.

Good Rob, I think he needed some validation.

Afro Cheese

Good lord. laughing out loud is that the best you can do? i don't mean that in an antagonistic way. really ask yourself.... did you give me anything to even work with here?

Surtur
is that the best you can do? i don't mean that in an antagonistic way. really ask yourself.... did you give me anything to even work with here?

You have to get used to Beni. He tends to reply with one sentence or two and then he adds a smiley at the end.

I'm not even kidding, it is what he usually does. lol. Keep in mind just pointing this out they will say smileys trigger me, it's how they do.

Adam_PoE

Exactly. The issue is not that Trump drew a line in the sand, it is where he drew it, i.e. the most stupid place possible. It would be like threatening to shoot someone as a trespasser if he says one more word about coming on your property.

Surtur
Lol, Rob's reply "exactly"

Adams reply "exactly".

Afro Cheese
The position of the white house is that they essentially draw the line somewhere short of NK being capable of hitting us with an ICBM mounted with a nuke, IIRC.

But I don't even necessarily think that red line is ultimately something we will back up. But it is certainly something worth bluffing on, if nothing else. You guys seem utterly ambiguous about the implications of NK gaining the capability to hit us.

Beniboybling
is that the best you can do? i don't mean that in an antagonistic way. really ask yourself.... did you give me anything to even work with here? i don't think there's much I can do to help. embarrasment

You have to get used to Beni. He tends to reply with one sentence or two and then he adds a smiley at the end.

I'm not even kidding, it is what he usually does. lol. Keep in mind just pointing this out they will say smileys trigger me, it's how they do. embarrasment embarrasment embarrasment

Surtur
The position of the white house is that they essentially draw the line somewhere short of NK being capable of hitting us with an ICBM mounted with a nuke, IIRC.

But I don't even necessarily think that red line is ultimately something we will back up. But it is certainly something worth bluffing on, if nothing else. You guys seem utterly ambiguous about the implications of NK gaining the capability to hit us.

You have illustrated the craziness of America. I feel this sums it up:

http://i.imgur.com/pVFmFBJ.jpg

Adam_PoE
But I don't even necessarily think that red line is ultimately something we will back up. But it is certainly something worth bluffing on, if nothing else.

Any parent will tell you that empty threats do not work. If you say, "Don't do that or else," and then they do it, and there is no "or else," all you succeeded in doing is showing them that they can get away with ignoring you, because you don't really mean what you say.

Surtur
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Any parent will tell you that empty threats do not work. If you say, "Don't do that or else," and then they do it, and there is no "or else," all you succeeded in doing is showing them that they can get away with ignoring you, because you don't really mean what you say.

Lol...was this satire?

Beniboybling
No, it actually happened in real life, they broadcasted it and everything. sick

Surtur
They broadcasted parents saying empty threats do not work?

Case closed.

Adam_PoE
No, it actually happened in real life, they broadcasted it and everything. sick

Trump: If you make one more threat to the United States, you will be met with "fire and fury the likes the world has never seen."

Kim Jong-un: Just for that, we are working on a plan to deploy four missiles that would envelope Guam in a wall of fire.

Trump: You better not!

What happened to the "fire and fury" he promised if they made any more threats to the United States? Oh, that's right, it was just empty posturing from an empty suit. North Korea responded today saying his statement is a "load of nonsense" before accusing him of being senile and spending too much time on golf. That is not a joke, Kim Jong-un literally said Trump is senile, that his threats are nonsense, and that he plays too much golf. What an embarrassment.

Surtur
Lol, this is why I just do not take leftists seriously. You just whined about his threat being an empty threat.

So, the opposite of an empty threat is one followed through. So you'd prefer he attacked them? If not, why are you whining? You seem like someone who would b*tch either way no matter what Trump does.

Bonus question: did you whine as much when Obama said he was drawing a line and then did nothing once it was crossed? Were you embarrassed then? Of course you were. You couldn't be consistent otherwise.

Afro Cheese
Any parent will tell you that empty threats do not work. If you say, "Don't do that or else," and then they do it, and there is no "or else," all you succeeded in doing is showing them that they can get away with ignoring you, because you don't really mean what you say. That's not always true. Sometimes threats work, since there is no way of knowing 100% whether the threat is legit or not without defying the order.

Yes, you can lose face by constantly issuing empty threats. This is why it's not a useful way to raise kids; because those threats are easy enough to follow up on.

But when you're dealing with geopolitics you do sometimes get into a situation where you don't have much of a hand to play other than just posturing and trying to pressure the opposition into capitulating. It's a bad place to be in, but it's by no means Trump's fault that this is where we are with NK.

The fact of the matter is the only alternatives to trying to threaten NK into not continuing the missile program are a) actually do something about it (carry out some sort of strike against them/impose some new sanctions/embargo/etc) or b) do nothing. In the case of b) you might say that Trump could still express displeasure with the actions of the North Koreans, just in a less threatening way. But I see no reason why that is even useful.

Sable
Trump: If you make one more threat to the United States, you will be met with "fire and fury the likes the world has never seen."

Kim Jong-un: Just for that, we are working on a plan to deploy four missiles that would envelope Guam in a wall of fire.

Trump: You better not!

What happened to the "fire and fury" he promised if they made any more threats to the United States? Oh, that's right, it was just empty posturing from an empty suit. North Korea responded today saying his statement is a "load of nonsense" before accusing him of being senile and spending too much time on golf. That is not a joke, Kim Jong-un literally said Trump is senile, that his threats are nonsense, and that he plays too much golf. What an embarrassment.

The only embarrassment is you.

Beniboybling
I do enjoy how people think this was a calculated move on Trump's part that happened to go wrong, rather than a blustering outburst from an unstable man-baby.

Trump does not think before he speaks, and his administration was left playing damage control (as usual) after he went and opened his mouth, why others insist on doing the same on KMC is beyond me. sad

Surtur
Beni needs to come here and join up with Adam. They'd solve all the countries problems in one afternoon.

Beniboybling
Is this your new favourite flip now Surturd? "I'd like to see you do better!" laughing out loud

Adam_PoE
That's not always true. Sometimes threats work, since there is no way of knowing 100% whether the threat is legit or not without defying the order.

Yes, you can lose face by constantly issuing empty threats. This is why it's not a useful way to raise kids; because those threats are easy enough to follow up on.

But when you're dealing with geopolitics you do sometimes get into a situation where you don't have much of a hand to play other than just posturing and trying to pressure the opposition into capitulating. It's a bad place to be in, but it's by no means Trump's fault that this is where we are with NK.

The fact of the matter is the only alternatives to trying to threaten NK into not continuing the missile program are a) actually do something about it (carry out some sort of strike against them/impose some new sanctions/embargo/etc) or b) do nothing. In the case of b) you might say that Trump could still express displeasure with the actions of the North Koreans, just in a less threatening way. But I see no reason why that is even useful.

Any intelligent person knew 100% that this threat was not going to work, and then they immediately defied him, and proved it.

Having nuclear capabilities is one of the qualifiers of being considered a world superpower. North Korea desperately wants a metaphorical seat at the grown-ups table, and all of this saber-rattling is a tantrum designed to get them there. When you respond to their threats as if they are legitimate, you legitimize them as a threat to a world superpower. "See? The U.S. is afraid of us. Everybody should take us seriously." You are rewarding them for their bad behavior, which just encourages more of it. The best way to respond is to treat them just as you would any other child who is throwing a tantrum. "When you act like a grown up, you can sit at the grown-ups table, but not a moment before. Now stop being a little baby, and have a seat at the kids table where you belong."

Surtur
Is this your new favourite flip now Surturd? "I'd like to see you do better!" laughing out loud

Nah, I'd just enjoy seeing two pseudo-intellectuals fail utterly.

Beniboybling
Alright, but PoE is going to be the running mate. sick

Beniboybling
Any intelligent person knew 100% that this threat was not going to work, and then they immediately defied him, and proved it.

Having nuclear capabilities is one of the qualifiers of being considered a world superpower. North Korea desperately wants a metaphorical seat at the grown-ups table, and all of this saber-rattling is a tantrum designed to get them there. When you respond to their threats as if they are legitimate, you legitimize them as a threat to a world superpower. "See? The U.S. is afraid of us. Everybody should take us seriously." You are rewarding them for their bad behavior, which just encourages more of it. The best way to respond is to treat them just as you would any other child who is throwing a tantrum. "When you act like a grown up, you can sit at the grown-ups table, but not a moment before. Now stop being a little baby, and have a seat at the kids table where you belong." Problem is, Trump belongs on the same table as Kim..

Surtur
Awesome, crisis averted thumb up

Adam_PoE
Alright, but PoE is going to be the running mate. sick

Why I gotta be the running mate?

Beniboybling
Because it will take a British touch to Make America Great Again. hmph

Surtur

You can't smile like Beni can smile. You can't frown like Beni can frown. Sorry bro, you're 2nd place. Feed him your nonsense and he can spew it to the masses.

Adam_PoE
Because it will take a British touch to Make America Great Again. hmph

A touch is only a little. You can be a running mate and provide a touch.

Beniboybling
Alright so it will take a handful. sick

Sable

Blaargbreath please.

Afro Cheese
Any intelligent person knew 100% that this threat was not going to work, and then they immediately defied him, and proved it.It was certainly safe to bet that it was a bluff... but once again, the alternative is essentially to do nothing. I think that had we stayed silent while allowing NK to gain this capability, we lose just as much as we lost when we tried to posture and threaten them out of doing so but failed.

The reason I think so is that we would have to be stupid to be indifferent to NK gaining nuclear proliferation. So at the very least you want to uphold the image of having tried to stop it.

This is just nonsense. Even if Trump never sent a single tweet, NK would have continued their program the same as they are right now.

Of course there is an obvious advantage to being a nuclear power, which is exactly why we don't want states like NK to gain that status.

S_W_LeGenD
They obviously will not willingly denuclearize, but threatening "fire and fury" against them will only encourage them to continue pursuing their nuclear program at an even faster rate. And if you say that Kim Jong-un will actually use their nuclear weapons once he has the capability to strike the U.S., then that implies that Kim Jong-un is a completely irrational actor and thus Trump's rhetoric of "fire and fury" would only exacerbate the problems we face with North Korea. You don't threaten someone who is insane like that.

Please read this assessment: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/11/opinions/north-korea-crisis-opinion-stewart/index.html

North Korea significantly advanced its nuclear program during the era of Obama administration. Diplomacy and sanctions have failed to yield results.

China won't take any responsbility for denuclearization of DPRK. They are allies, my friend.

Earlier, DPRK wasn't much of a threat to US national security. However, with ICBMs in the picture, DPRK can actually blackmail US itself and not just Japan and South Korea.

If you are expecting rationality from Kim Jong-Un, you are expecting too much. Time for action - is now.

Sin I AM
Please read this assessment: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/11/opinions/north-korea-crisis-opinion-stewart/index.html

North Korea significantly advanced its nuclear program during the era of Obama administration. Diplomacy and sanctions have failed to yield results.

China won't take any responsbility for denuclearization of DPRK. They are allies, my friend.

Earlier, DPRK wasn't much of a threat to US national security. However, with ICBMs in the picture, DPRK can actually blackmail US itself and not just Japan and South Korea.

If you are expecting rationality from Kim Jong-Un, you are expecting too much. Time for action - is now.

What would that action be?

FistOfThe North
^ Bingo

That's the problem with these rubes, NK is doing what it's been doing for a long time, waving its tiny little dick. Now they've finally found themselves with a US president whose ego is so fragile, they can make him do flips and these Trumpers can't stand it because they're looking like fools.

NK's going to test more missile as planned, Trump's going to make another threat he won't follow through, as he's already opened up with threatening death and destruction and America will be laughed at some more. Blew his load early and now he has nothing for the rest of the game.

edit: What's Trump's next move when NK test more missiles? He's already threatened destruction, so how does he up that aside from actually destroying NK? Anyone.

Preemptive strikes against NK missile sites with B-1 bombers.

Beniboybling
It was certainly safe to bet that it was a bluff... but once again, the alternative is essentially to do nothing. I think that had we stayed silent while allowing NK to gain this capability, we lose just as much as we lost when we tried to posture and threaten them out of doing so but failed.

The reason I think so is that we would have to be stupid to be indifferent to NK gaining nuclear proliferation. So at the very least you want to uphold the image of having tried to stop it. Right. No option to make a measured response backed up by at least a credible threat if not an attempt at dialogue.

Blowing his top in an attempt to impress his voters with strongman posturing was the only alternative. sick

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Sin I AM
What would that action be?
1. Take out nuclear facilities of DPRK
2. Degrade much of the military capability of DPRK
3. Assassinate Kim Jong-Un and let somebody else take charge.

Aforementioned measures would be enough to humble DPRK and US would not have to consider an occupation.

Surtur
Serious question: was the way the previous administration handled North Korea working? Not just Obama, we can go back to Bush and Clinton as well.

Beniboybling

Aforementioned measures would be enough to humble DPRK and US would not have to consider an occupation. North Korea has thousands of weapons installations that the U.S. would be unable to destroy with a surgical strike because they are too well concealed or inaccessible, the idea that they could "humble" NK in this manner is false. It would not, they would retaliate, and the casualties incurred by South Korea would be extreme.

So no, terrible suggestion.

Lestov16
Serious question: was the way the previous administration handled North Korea working? Not just Obama, we can go back to Bush and Clinton as well.

Argh. I must be honest here. As much as I despise Trump, I can't really blame him for this. North Korea has been developing nukes for years despite U.S. sanctions. If Hillary was POTUS right now, she'd be in the same quagmire. And Trump's "fire and fury" comments are essentially the best he or anyone in his position can do.

Any direct military action in North Korea could set off a potential conflict with China and even Russia. That's why past presidents have avoided directly attacking NK, but they've also been lucky that hitherto 2017, NK didn't have a functional nuclear ICBM, so they were able to brush off the NKs. But now that the North Koreans have nukes, they are no longer unavoidable. They must be dealt with, and they clearly are beyond negotiation, so Trump is now in the unenviable position of resolving this quagmire.

We can only hope that the supposed don't -need-political-background deal-making business acumen his voters elected him for wasn't yet another lie.

Afro Cheese
Right. No option to make a measured response backed up by at least a credible threat if not an attempt at dialogue.lol.... there is no credible threat we could make that would convince Kim to stop seeking nuclear status. at this point you guys are just whining for the sake of it.

Afro Cheese
The main problem I have is that people seem more concerned with Trump's demeanor than with nuclear weapons being pointed at us by an unstable pill popping despot.

We are basically just banking on the assumption that they will never actually use them, as to do so would be suicidal. That's an assumption that I desperately hope is true. But I think that we should be cognizant of the fact that there is no actual guarantee here. This is what makes our current situation so particularly unnerving.

Now, the situation with NK is so potentially disastrous because any action we could take against them could easily result in hundreds of thousands of deaths.

But another, less likely scenario to consider is that our initial assumption turns out to be incorrect. That at one point they actually decide to send a nuke our way. Sure, it will be the end of their regime. But don't think for a second that Trump and all of the previous administrations that have allowed this threat to manifest won't be blamed for not preventing such an incident. The same way that Clinton (along with the intelligence agencies) are retroactively blamed for failing to deal with Al Qaeda.

And then what's more... once/if we have an actual precedent to fear nukes being used by a rogue power... we won't be nearly so hesitant to act the next time we find ourselves in a such a situation. Even if the prospective death toll is high.

I know most people will just dismiss this as "it will never happen so it doesn't matter." Let's just hope they're right.

Adam_PoE
The main problem I have is that people seem more concerned with Trump's demeanor than with nuclear weapons being pointed at us by an unstable pill popping despot.

We are basically just banking on the assumption that they will never actually use them, as to do so would be suicidal. That's an assumption that I desperately hope is true. But I think that we should be cognizant of the fact that there is no actual guarantee here. This is what makes our current situation so particularly unnerving.

Now, the situation with NK is so potentially disastrous because any action we could take against them could easily result in hundreds of thousands of deaths.

But another, less likely scenario to consider is that our initial assumption turns out to be incorrect. That at one point they actually decide to send a nuke our way. Sure, it will be the end of their regime. But don't think for a second that Trump and all of the previous administrations that have allowed this threat to manifest won't be blamed for not preventing such an incident. The same way that Clinton (along with the intelligence agencies) are retroactively blamed for failing to deal with Al Qaeda.

And then what's more... once/if we have an actual precedent to fear nukes being used by a rogue power... we won't be nearly so hesitant to act the next time we find ourselves in a such a situation. Even if the prospective death toll is high.

I know most people will just dismiss this as "it will never happen so it doesn't matter." Let's just hope they're right.

The difference is that we have very little control over what other sovereign nations do. If North Korea is intent on developing nuclear weapons, we can make it difficult for them, but we most certainly will not be able to stop them. The only thing that is in our ability to control is how we respond to what they do, and on that front, we failed spectacularly.

Surtur
Originally posted by Lestov16
Argh. I must be honest here. As much as I despise Trump, I can't really blame him for this. North Korea has been developing nukes for years despite U.S. sanctions. If Hillary was POTUS right now, she'd be in the same quagmire. And Trump's "fire and fury" comments are essentially the best he or anyone in his position can do.

Any direct military action in North Korea could set off a potential conflict with China and even Russia. That's why past presidents have avoided directly attacking NK, but they've also been lucky that hitherto 2017, NK didn't have a functional nuclear ICBM, so they were able to brush off the NKs. But now that the North Koreans have nukes, they are no longer unavoidable. They must be dealt with, and they clearly are beyond negotiation, so Trump is now in the unenviable position of resolving this quagmire.

We can only hope that the supposed don't -need-political-background deal-making business acumen his voters elected him for wasn't yet another lie.

First I want to applaud you. No seriously. Some people might have just said "screw Trump" to screw Trump. You did not. This shows you do not suffer from Trump Derangement Syndrome, where anything and everything he does is bad(he could cure lung cancer and they'd call him sexist cuz he didn't cure breast cancer) So.. thumb up

I feel like maybe Obama should have paid more attention when he first got information about them years ago, and maybe he shouldn't have gutted our missile system.

Then again..great family photos though.

#forgiven

S_W_LeGenD
North Korea has thousands of weapons installations that the U.S. would be unable to destroy with a surgical strike because they are too well concealed or inaccessible, the idea that they could "humble" NK in this manner is false. It would not, they would retaliate, and the casualties incurred by South Korea would be extreme.

You have no idea how much surveillance US has conducted in regards to DPRK and South Korea has prepared itself for war with DPRK for a long time. Let me help you: http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/9315/this-is-how-america-keeps-watch-over-north-korea-from-the-sky

You are assuming that DPRK will be able to dictate the terms of this conflict without incurring significant losses of its own which is far from truth. You think South Korea is not prepared for this war? It is.

If were a citizen of Seoul, I would wish for a denuclearized DPRK and would be willing to seek shelter elsewhere for a temporary term as long as the government is willing to take care of my finances.

A military operation against DPRK would incorporate assistance from South Korea and Japan - and this much support is good enough.

Sin I AM

Aforementioned measures would be enough to humble DPRK and US would not have to consider an occupation.

Bad idea

North Korea has thousands of weapons installations that the U.S. would be unable to destroy with a surgical strike because they are too well concealed or inaccessible, the idea that they could "humble" NK in this manner is false. It would not, they would retaliate, and the casualties incurred by South Korea would be extreme.

This. As someone who has beem to Korea any action taken by the US will bring hell to South Korea and the troops stationed there. China will HAVE to step in with Russia in tow. I say let them posture and or strike 1st.

FistOfThe North
Top U.S. General Readies Military Plan for North Korea, but Pushes for Diplomacy

Today's WSJ

North Korea on stand by for missile launch to Guam.

Fox News

Ok, I now have a really bad feeling about this ..

Sable
99% chance no war happens.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Sable
99% chance no war happens.

Stil a chance. Possibility is enough. And I highly doubt it's 99%. Fingers on the trigger on both sides now and they're pointing guns at eachother itching for the other to make a move. Any move, so the can pull and fire. And patience experience has about ran out.

Flyattractor
Will be interesting to see if China will keep its word and not Bail Little Kimmy out if he does try to start something. But I can see China still supporting them via the black market and underground sources. Be case China is a Horrible Nation just as well.

Surtur
The NYT is reporting that NK has been buying rocket engines from a factory located in the Ukraine. No idea if it's true or not.

Robtard
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Preemptive strikes against NK missile sites with B-1 bombers.

That would literally legitimize NK's position that they need nukes to keep themselves safe and "oppressor" America away.

Sable
Why the **** is there a Korean War thread, when there is no war?

Flyattractor
That would literally legitimize NK's position that they need nukes to keep themselves safe and "oppressor" America away.

http://www.demotivation.us/media/demotivators/demotivation.us_ARE-YOU-ALWAYS-THIS-STUPID-or-is-today-a-special-occasion_137094985180.jpg

Robtard

Because it's a current thing and a technical possibility. Though I don't believe it will happen, at least NK's not attacking first, little Kimmy is a complete shit, but he's no moron.

Scribble
Shouldn't this thread be in the Versus forum?

Surtur
Zing!

Bashar Teg

actually, you'll be fascinated to know (or #triggered if you're still feeling cranky) that the korean war never really ended.
it's just been nearly-endless ceasefire since 1953. crazy shit huh? the war has been on for over 60 years

Sable
That's news to the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_War

Bashar Teg
Wrong

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_War

Bashar Teg
oh look, you edited. cute.

doesnt even matter since you already claimed there was no longer a war. ask a mod to edit that too maybe?

Sable
The fighting ended on 27 July 1955, hence it ended. Moving on.

Bashar Teg
The fighting ended on 27 July 1955, hence it ended. Moving on.

mature. very well, i accept your concession.

Sable
Thanks, I accepted yours earlier.

BackFire
Kim is apparently "holding off" on the plan to launch missiles at Guam.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-idUSKCN1AU04U?il=0

Sable
What a pussy, he knew Trump wasn't messing around. I find it laughable all the scumbags in the media said "Oh this is going to get us into Nuclear War." And the people on twitter literally losing their minds "you are going to get us all killed." He ends up backing down like he little ***** he is.

BackFire
It's his m.o. He's threatened to do this to Guam before and backed down. He was likely never serious this time. He's just trying to talk tough to try and get money.

Sable
You think his tough talk gets him money? I thought the exact opposite. He keeps being sanctioned.

BackFire
Well yeah, he wants aide for his country because it's very poor. This is how he's been operating for years, the only difference is now he has nukes so we're forced to take him seriously.

He also wants to stay in power. As long as his power isn't overtly threatened he's not going to do something like attack America, that'd basically be suicide and there's nothing really for him to gain from doing that. That's about the best way to guarantee that he gets overthrown.

Sable
Someone needs to kill him. I don't see why none of his closet advisors just doesn't turn a gun on him and pop him in the head.

BackFire
They're afraid of him. And his advisors actually do lead very cushy lives so they're loyal to him.

Sable
Yea but they know he will kill them at a moments notice. Has to be a good general in there somewhere that can stage a coup and lead the country another way.

BackFire
You may be giving them too much credit.

TethAdamTheRock
Bump

Surtur
Oh boy...hope it is not true, it is CNN, but they aren't the only ones reporting it:

North Korea: Kim Jong Un watches 'H-Bomb' loaded on new missile

Surtur
For now there is no confirmation of this other than claims by NK itself. Hopefully it is just a boast without any truth to it.

Afro Cheese
Yea but they know he will kill them at a moments notice. Has to be a good general in there somewhere that can stage a coup and lead the country another way. You really have to keep in mind the kind of state you are dealing with. We're talking about multiple generations of people who have been brainwashed and terrorized into a state of absolute loyalty. North Korea is literally a modern example of the kind of totalitarian state talked about in the book 1984. Just like in the book, people are under constant surveillance by everyone around them. You can literally get in trouble just for failing to appear to grieve properly when the great leader dies, and it will very likely be someone close to you who ends up turning you in out of fear for their own lives, because if it is later discovered that they knew about your transgression and did nothing then they will be just as dead as you are.

This is the leader who had his own brother killed, not for any actual sense of disloyalty, but just as a sort of insurance policy. He wanted to make absolutely certain that he was the only possible heir to the throne. If anyone were to stage such a coup the probability that they and everyone who cooperates with them would be killed is overwhelming.

FistOfThe North

Sable
Lol what if your wrong?

FistOfThe North
Lol what if your wrong?

I actually hope I end up being wrong.

TethAdamTheRock
Whats so bad about north korea making nukes

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by TethAdamTheRock

They way they're brazenly handling them.

They're basically brandishing w.d.m.s. with detailed, verbal threats towards the u.s. and it's allies ..

Flyattractor

lets see if you change your mind after Little Kimmy nukes you.

Afro Cheese
Whats so bad about north korea making nukes The precedent it sets, more than anything else. Becoming a nuclear power gives a country much more geopolitical leverage, and we would very much not like to see a regime like NK in that position.

It basically will demonstrate a lot of weakness in our position in terms of being able to prevent other rogue dictatorships from becoming nuclear powers. Expect Iran to be next, and it won't stop there.

Unfortunately, there's not an easy answer in terms of preventing this sort of thing. It was the kind of thing we were trying to preemptively prevent in Saddam's Iraq, and the immense costs involved in that campaign became all too self-evident after 10 years of war in that country. So we don't really have the heart to start a new major war.

For now, we will posture and try our best to prevent these dictators from pursuing nukes. This is under the assumption that nobody, not even Kim, is crazy enough to actually start a nuclear war. Of course, should this assumption turn out to be incorrect, and for whatever reason one of these powers ends up nuking one of their enemies, then we will be working with a very different set of assumptions moving forward, and will not be nearly so hesitant to take more preemptive actions in the future.

FistOfThe North
North Korea fires missile from Pyongyang towards the east - South Korea

North Korea early on Friday fired an unidentified missile eastward from the Sunan district in its capital, Pyongyang, South Korea's military said.
The missile has flown over Japan, Japan's NHK television said.

South Korea's presidential Blue House has called an urgent National Security Council meeting.

The North's launch comes a day after the North threatened to sink Japan and reduce the United States to "ashes and darkness" for supporting a U.N. Security Council resolution imposing new sanctions against it for its Sept. 3 nuclear test.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/north-korea-fires-missile-pyongyang-towards-east-south-221111262.html?soc_trk=gcm&soc_src=69f70237-124f-3ea9-acd0-fc922af945e2&.tsrc=notification-brknews

This may've been the last straw. War is now imminent ..

Flyattractor
Soon Little Kimmy will Rule the WORLD!

TethAdamTheRock
Originally posted by Impediment
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/680329001/

WWIII, anyone?

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Soon Little Kimmy will Rule the WORLD!

Sable
MSM and mainstream liberals side with Kim Jung Un over Trump.

Sable
Twitter sided with Kim Jung Un vs Trump in war of words

Surtur

Sable
American journalist finds the time to translate insults levied at Trump by a foreign enemy. Just another example of Liberals siding with the enemy.

Surtur
To be fair, maybe everybody's google broke at the same exact time all around the country?

Sable
Twitter def sided with little Kim.

Surtur
Lol that is honestly pretty sad. First liberals are okay with pedophiles. Now dictators? Okay lol. But hey he zinged Trump.

But remember though: don't you f*cking dare normalize Sean Spicer. That would be bad. But Kim...meh.

Sable
You can see who CNN sides with when they talk about Trump and Kim, by their faces and rhetoric. Trump is talked about cynically, Kim is revered.

cdtm

They're a threat to our security.

Geopolitics isn't about equality. It's making sure if anyone's gonna have the biggest stick, it better be you.

You can talk moral use of power after power is yours to use as you see fit, vs talking about how other people abuse power who don't care what you think..

Surtur
And this is a question open to anyone: solutions on how to deal with a deranged dictator with nukes? Post them here. We can email them to the white house or something.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>