Mayweather vs McGregor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sable
Boxer vs MMA

Fight details: Gloves down to 8oz. No kicking.

Who do you predict wins next week?

Bashar Teg
this is boxing, so mayweather is going to destroy him.
it's not even fair, but i don't care because mcgregor kinda deserves what's coming.

socool8520
Mayweather stomps easily. He's one of the best technical boxers ever. McGregor would destroy him in an MMA bout though.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
it's not even fair, but i don't care because mcgregor kinda deserves what's coming.

Mayweather is not going to destroy him. He is going to dance around the ring until the clock runs out, and win by technicality.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Mayweather is not going to destroy him. He is going to dance around the ring until the clock runs out, and win by technicality.

then i'll be even more glad that i didnt waste my money watching it.

Robtard

I'm getting the "Great White Hype" feeling and Mayweather who's reportedly been slacking on training and party with strippers is going to step in a lay a fury of blows once the bell goes ding

Sable

Doesnt Mcgregor run his mouth just as much?

BackFire
The only losers in this will be the people who pay money to watch a short and uninteresting fight.

Sable
Why do you think Boxing has fallen from grace? People tired of the sport or the athletes?

BackFire
Think mostly MMA just took its thunder. It's like boxing, but where they can kick and grapple, too.

socool8520

He will win with overwhelming points total. Still destroying him though. He's also going to tag him at will, it's not like his usual pro boxing opponents. McGregor is a good fighter, but he's far from a great boxer. Mayweather won't have to dance around that much.

Bashar Teg
mma needs to get old, so that people can see these fighters become broken punch drunk retards who die broke, before they realize what an abysmal sport business fighting is. thats why i dropped off the boxing bandwagon, anyway.

Sable
mma needs to get old, so that people can see these fighters become broken punch drunk retards who die broke, before they realize what an abysmal sport business fighting is. thats why i dropped off the boxing bandwagon, anyway.

I agree. People maiming each other for life to make money is a sad excuse for entertainment.

socool8520
IDK, I admire the dedication to their craft. They train hard, study their styles, and have the courage to fight another well trained individual.

Sable
Originally posted by socool8520
IDK, I admire the dedication to their craft. They train hard, study their styles, and have the courage to fight another well trained individual.

Then become punch drunk and die from CTE.

Bashar Teg

yeah but the business exploits them into their old age and breaks them. and this is boxing i'm referring to, which over the last few decades has been relatively safe compared to ufc/mma, where i've seen a referee actually telling a fighter to hit an unconscious opponent.

socool8520
Well, I'm not a professional so that is what would happen. Kinda why I haven't made a career of it.

It seems pretty uppity of you to look down on fighters. Have you ever dedicated yourself to anything the way they have for fighting?

This was meant for Sable

Bashar Teg
i look down on fighters? or do we have a wild strawman on the loose?

:edit: ahhh i see. nevermind.

socool8520
yeah but the business exploits them into their old age and breaks them. and this is boxing i'm referring to, which over the last few decades has been relatively safe compared to ufc/mma, where i've seen a referee actually telling a fighter to hit an unconscious opponent.

They could easily not fight. To do so is their decision.

socool8520
i look down on fighters? or do we have a wild strawman on the loose?

:edit: ahhh i see. nevermind.

Yeah, calm down there guy. i'm not one of the political debaters. lol

Robtard
Fite! Fite! Fite!

socool8520
Originally posted by Robtard
Fite! Fite! Fite!

Nope, not my bag.

I thought I'd quote this time so as not to create any more confusion. that was my bad. i apologize.

Bashar Teg
They could easily not fight. To do so is their decision.

the same logic could be used to excuse that guy who used to get broken-down old homeless people to beat eachother up for $20.

socool8520
the same logic could be used to excuse that guy who used to get broken-down old homeless people to beat eachother up for $20.

It very easily could, yes. I'd say their circumstances are bit different, but it easily could.

bluewaterrider
i've seen a referee actually telling a fighter to hit an unconscious opponent.

YouTube link/reference info or it didn't happen.

Robtard
Originally posted by bluewaterrider

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2433149-mma-fighter-pleads-with-ref-to-acknowledge-his-opponent-is-kod-at-bellator-136?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by bluewaterrider

z_8z24k2kIE

Bashar Teg
saw another back in the late 90's where the guy was clearly half-conscious and helpless and the ref actually said "finish him" like it was mortal kombat. i have no clip of that though.

socool8520
z_8z24k2kIE

LOl. he didn't tell him to continue beating him. That dude was still struggling, and upon inspection, he did call the fight. Not to mention the whole ordeal went on for like 5-6 seconds.

Bashar Teg
nah, the refs job is to step in and stop the fighting when someone loses consciousness. that's pretty much their most important role.
you don't leave the decision up to the other fighter whether or not to beat an unconscious opponent thumb down

Robtard
Should be noted that the UFC/MMA has come some ways compared to the early days when you had guys fighting 3 matches in a single night and practically no rules.

Still, striking a KO'd opponent is never a good thing

socool8520
nah, the refs job is to step in and stop the fighting when someone loses consciousness. that's pretty much their most important role.
you don't leave the decision up to the other fighter whether or not to beat an unconscious opponent thumb down

The dude was struggling to get out of the hold. Had he held the chocke for like another second, I'm fairly certain the fight would have been called. Had he ended it a couple of seconds earlier, there would have been an uproar because the fight was stopped too early.

Bashar Teg
there would have been an uproar because the fight was stopped too early.

happens often in boxing. better than the risk of having a fighter strike an unconscious person.

socool8520
happens often in boxing. better than the risk of having a fighter strike an unconscious person.

Perhaps, but I don't think it was a terrible call personally. Another second of the hold and I would have called it, but I'd give him a shot to get out of it. i've seen other fighters do it.

Bashar Teg
regardless, the point we're both circling around is that it's far more difficult to determine a persons level of consciousness when they're fighting on their back than when they are on their feet.

a half-conscious man on his feet will wobble/stumble/fall, while there are no blatant signs otherwise, unless they just fully black out. that's part of why i think it's too risky.

Sable
The dude was struggling to get out of the hold. Had he held the chocke for like another second, I'm fairly certain the fight would have been called. Had he ended it a couple of seconds earlier, there would have been an uproar because the fight was stopped too early.

That was a close call, he was almost dead. Blood choke can kill.

socool8520
It is fighting. There is always risk. While I don't think it's the best way to make a living, I'm not going to look down on those that do. Not a personal attack on you.

socool8520
Originally posted by Sable
That was a close call, he was almost dead. Blood choke can kill.

He was not almost dead. The choke wasn't even fully held for more than a few seconds.

Bashar Teg
It is fighting. There is always risk. While I don't think it's the best way to make a living, I'm not going to look down on those that do. Not a personal attack on you.

and i'm not campaigning to strip you of your right to fight for sport.
i only made a decision as a consumer of entertainment for those reasons stated.

jaden101
Mayweather by disqualification. Mcgregor will lose him temper by the fifth and revert to what he knows thus get disqualified.

Bentley

Respecting fighters is not a reason for Judges not to play it extra safe. I've seen boxing fans still argue that a fight where one fighter got heavy brain damage should've continued because "sports reasons".

Steve Zodiac
I think this Will be a long fight and very monotonous. Mayweather will hit Conor lots and run away a lot. Mcgregor always has a punchers chance and he has dynamite in his left hand. If he lands it we have the upset of the century.

NemeBro
People are overlooking a pretty big advantage McGregor has in age. McGregor is 29 years old and in the prime of his life, whereas Mayweather is 40. It would not surprise me if Mayweather has trouble keeping up with McGregor's stamina, quickness, and strength.

Mayweather is definitely a technically superior boxer, but he's past his prime. I do think he will probably end up winning though, in a very boring ass fight.

socool8520
Originally posted by Bentley
Respecting fighters is not a reason for Judges not to play it extra safe. I've seen boxing fans still argue that a fight where one fighter got heavy brain damage should've continued because "sports reasons".

If they played it extra safe, anytime anyone was ever put in a choke, the fight would be stopped. Again, it's a fight, there's gonna be some risk.

snowdragon
McGregor is the winner in this fight, not because of his skills but his paycheck. Even a loss is a win for him here.

Sable
You voted for Mcgregor?

Darkstorm Zero
HzKTK0024kw

chingchangwalla
If McGregor wins I'll consider the Irish 'white' and they can all join the ethnostate

Darkstorm Zero
Aaaaaaand

vFnFKu9QqoA

Sable
So the odds are shifting towards McGregor

ThirdReich
Money on McGregor

Flyattractor
Is it to early to start taking bets on Godzilla Vs King Kong yet?

Steve Zodiac
McGregor did better than I expected. Still a mismatch.

Steve Zodiac
Can't help wondering if Floyd is so skilled he controlled the margin of the fight. We'll never know, my guts says maybe, but perhaps I'm doing the Notorious a great disservice.

Steve Zodiac
As Bisbing said, ten years from now people will look back on this Circus and laugh and like Bisbing said, pro Boxers punch a lot harder and take a punch a lot better.

NemeBro
Cain Velasquez's recorded punch is more powerful than any boxer's though.

It is dumb though. McGregor shouldn't have challenged one of the most technically competent boxers of all time in a pure boxing match lol.

Steve Zodiac
Originally posted by NemeBro

I wonder if people like Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury (for those not in the know that's Tyson Fury not Mike Tyson) have actually had their punch power recorded. They are much bigger men naturally than Cain.

dadudemon
I voted for Mayweather a few seconds ago. I just have a feeling he will win.

Bashar Teg
didnt watch the fight. only had to look at this gif of a relaxed and mint-condition mayweather, as expected, winning.
good news: ufc fans can still print out that twitter poll of mcregor winning, and receive one cup of coffee at any 7-11! (+$1.35)

http://i.imgur.com/3nRFW5R.gif

Silent Master
McGregor lasted until the 10th round? Damn, Mayweather sucks.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Silent Master
McGregor lasted until the 10th round? Damn, Mayweather sucks.

mayweather be like

https://media.giphy.com/media/94EQmVHkveNck/giphy.gif

Bentley
If they played it extra safe, anytime anyone was ever put in a choke, the fight would be stopped. Again, it's a fight, there's gonna be some risk.

There is a line between puking and permanent brain damage. If fights weren't big in moving money I could see them being easier to moderate.

Silent Master
My point was that I was expecting Mayweather to win in a couple rounds, at worst 3. the fact that it took 10 rounds surprised the hell out of me.

Jmanghan
McGregor landed some solid shots, and took a few rounds, but Mayweather was too much for him.

If McGregor had won, everyone would have shit themselves.

We all know boxing purists are gonna wank the **** out of this.

Bashar Teg
it doesn't take a boxing purist circlejerk to conclude that the best pro boxers will always be better boxers than the best non-pro boxers.

Sable
10 rounds? Wtf? I really thought Mayweather would have KOd him by rd 3.

Surtur
10 rounds? Wtf? I really thought Mayweather would have KOd him by rd 3.

Yeah, kinda odd. McGregor almost comes off looking better given he isn't a pro boxer.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Surtur
Yeah, kinda odd. McGregor almost comes off looking better given he isn't a pro boxer.

nah, he came off as tired, beaten, and quite wobbly...and you're coming off as desperate.

http://i.imgur.com/3nRFW5R.gif

darthgoober
My point was that I was expecting Mayweather to win in a couple rounds, at worst 3. the fact that it took 10 rounds surprised the hell out of me.
I didn't see the fight so I can't say this for sure, but that may have actually been intentional on his part. Boxers train for longer fights than MMA guys do so he may have decided to draw the fight out as a way to play it safe because he knew he had the endurance advantage. No sense in taking the risk of looking bad by losing against a non boxer trying to put him away early if you know endurance is one of your biggest advantages.

Sable
No doubt he beat him fair and square

Surtur
nah, he came off as tired, beaten, and quite wobbly...and you're coming off as desperate.

You're coming off as triggered. I certainly do not care about either of these people. But it's cool, you are certainly entitled to think what you want about the fight.

Steve Zodiac
Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
I think this Will be a long fight and very monotonous. Mayweather will hit Conor lots and run away a lot. Mcgregor always has a punchers chance, and he has dynamite in his left hand. If he lands it, we have the upset of the century. Well I overestimated Mcgregor's dynamite and Mayweather's bicycle, otherwise the predicted circus, although strangely a little better than I thought it would be. I still wonder how long this has been planned and hyped, was it planned all the way back to the Rousey/Mayweather comments? I also can't help a nagging feeling Mayweather could have ended it anytime after the sixth at will. And while he says he's retired a rematch in 2 years when Mcgregor is an even bigger star and a hundred million more to beat an "improved" Mcgregor, am I cynical... maybe.

Steve Zodiac
Originally posted by darthgoober
I didn't see the fight so I can't say this for sure, but that may have actually been intentional on his part. Boxers train for longer fights than MMA guys do so he may have decided to draw the fight out as a way to play it safe because he knew he had the endurance advantage. No sense in taking the risk of looking bad by losing against a non boxer trying to put him away early if you know endurance is one of your biggest advantages. Agreed, good post!

Bashar Teg
lucky that mayweather is the best in boxing at this point. 80's mike tyson would have ended the fight and mcgregors career in under 2 minutes..

Steve Zodiac
lucky that mayweather is the best in boxing at this point. 80's mike tyson would have ended the fight and mcgregors career in under 2 minutes.. Yeah, but weight class for weight class Floyd is a cut above Tyson, for my money Roy Jones Jnr is the only modern fighter with a legacy equal to him and he ran from Steve Collins by going up a weight.

Interesting fact about 80's Tyson, Lewis got sent home from Tyson's training camp because he kept beating him up in training, this was when Lennox had won the Olympic Gold and just turned pro. I will always think Tyson was overrated even before Desiree Washington and Buster Douglas, before Prison and yes he wasn't the same after it... To be honest, I think the worst fight of a similar weight boxer from the past for Mcgregor would have been fellow Dubliner Steve Collins, that guy knew dirty boxing.

Bashar Teg
i was being silly about tyson. but if i had to pick one fighter from that weight class as a superior example I'd go with sugar ray leonard.

Steve Zodiac
i was being silly about tyson. but if i had to pick one fighter from that weight class as a superior example I'd go with sugar ray leonard. Yeah, he was awesome but he lost a bit of respect from me after the Haggler fight where he is actually overheard on the TV boom mike telling Haggler that Haggler had beat him and then when he got the judges decision and won on points denied and denies to this day he ever said it. Still love him though.

Bashar Teg
yeah that was a show of poor character, pulling a taylor swift like that. but apollo creed pulled that exact BS with rocky and we forgave him.

Steve Zodiac
yeah that was a show of poor character, pulling a taylor swift like that. but apollo creed pulled that exact BS with rocky and we forgave him. Yes, he did haha, to be honest as a teen I had all Leonards fights on VHS, along with Haggler and Hearns, and I would try and fail to emulate them at the local boxing gym, I was very lucky, to be honest, I first put a pair of gloves on at the Thomas a Beckett gym on the Old Kent Rd, which was famous and had a lot of pros in it. Henry Cooper even trained there... That said, it had a lot of amateurs and kids like me who just wanted to learn to box, it did mean though when we moved to Brighton the following year I had got a good grounding when I started training at Whitehawk Boys Club (also a good place to learn to box in those days).

darthgoober
yeah that was a show of poor character, pulling a taylor swift like that. but apollo creed pulled that exact BS with rocky and we forgave him.
We only forgave Creed cause he helped Rocky beat T.

StyleTime

It is dumb though. McGregor shouldn't have challenged one of the most technically competent boxers of all time in a pure boxing match lol.
You're not wrong, but for the amount of money on the table, I don't blame him at all.
thumb up A 0-0 boxer just went 10 rounds with Mayweather while making a shit ton of money. Conor has nothing to regret here.

Now, as an mma fan, Conor needs to get his ass back here and defend that belt. Dos Anjos, Ferguson, Barboza, Pettis, Khabib(assuming he doesn't die, move up a class dude), etc...

He's got murderer's row waiting on him back home. Can't fault him for making money, but patty cake with Floyd is over. Come get these spinning wheel kicks from Barboza please.

Silent Master
I didn't see the fight so I can't say this for sure, but that may have actually been intentional on his part. Boxers train for longer fights than MMA guys do so he may have decided to draw the fight out as a way to play it safe because he knew he had the endurance advantage. No sense in taking the risk of looking bad by losing against a non boxer trying to put him away early if you know endurance is one of your biggest advantages.

Intentional or not, taking 10 rounds to beat someone that is only using 5% of their skillset isn't very impressive to me.

darthgoober
Intentional or not, taking 10 rounds to beat someone that is only using 5% of their skillset isn't very impressive to me.
Better to win and look bad then lose trying to look good IMO

Silent Master
Better to win and look bad then lose trying to look good IMO

Yes, beating someone that is only 5% of their skillset is better than losing to someone that is only using 5% of their skillset. However, I'm never going to call it impressive.

You want to know what I consider impressive, lasting 10 rounds while only using 5% of your skillset.

NemeBro
My point was that I was expecting Mayweather to win in a couple rounds, at worst 3. the fact that it took 10 rounds surprised the hell out of me. It's probably due to your ignorance of boxing IMO. thumb up

darthgoober
Yes, beating someone that is only 5% of their skillset is better than losing to someone that is only using 5% of their skillset. However, I'm never going to call it impressive.

You want to know what I consider impressive, lasting 10 rounds while only using 5% of your skillset.
Sure it's impressive if you spin it that way, but honestly you or I could last 10 rds with him if he made the conscious descion to draw the fight out for 10 rds so we'd be totally exhausted before he truely pressed the attack.

Silent Master
Sure it's impressive if you spin it that way, but honestly you or I could last 10 rds with him if he made the conscious descion to draw the fight out for 10 rds so we'd be totally exhausted before he truely pressed the attack.

Accurately describing what happened is hardly spin.

Sable
It's probably due to your ignorance of boxing IMO. thumb up

I have learned SM is one of the smarter more well versed people on this forum, he clearly has you on the ropes.

darthgoober
Accurately describing what happened is hardly spin.
Perhaps spin was the wrong word to use... well no it's the word I meant to use, but not in a way that attempted to discredit you. I just meant that saying he survived using only 5% of his skillset may be giving him more credit than he deserves since there's a fair chance that Mayweather wasn't actually trying to put him away early.

NemeBro
I have learned Don't lie to me boy, we both know that's impossible.

Silent Master
Perhaps spin was the wrong word to use... well no it's the word I meant to use, but not in a way that attempted to discredit you. I just meant that saying he survived using only 5% of his skillset may be giving him more credit than he deserves since there's a fair chance that Mayweather wasn't actually trying to put him away early.

Why would Mayweather unnecessarily prolong the fight?

NemeBro
Floyd Mayweather is a defensive outboxer. It isn't that he prolonged the fight, but that this is how he fights. Early round knockouts aren't something he's ever really specialized in IIRC.

Sable
Don't lie to me boy, we both know that's impossible.

Clearly you are to stupid.

Sable
Floyd Mayweather is a defensive outboxer. It isn't that he prolonged the fight, but that this is how he fights. Early round knockouts aren't something he's ever really specialized in IIRC.

He lacks the power to, don't be coy.

darthgoober
Why would Mayweather unnecessarily prolong the fight?
Because Mcgregor had the advantage in both reach and strength. Letting him tire himself out is good strategy. Just look at the way the fight went down. Mcgregor threw way more punches and Mayweather seemed to focus on shots to the body early on... he was playing the long game from the get go.

Silent Master
Because Mcgregor had the advantage in both reach and strength. Letting him tire himself out is good strategy. Just look at the way the fight went down. Mcgregor threw way more punches and Mayweather seemed to focus on shots to the body early on... he was playing the long game from the get go.

IOW, he was concerned that fighting more aggressively would end up with the guy who can only use 5% of his skill-set winning.

darthgoober
IOW, he was concerned that fighting more aggressively would end up with the guy who can only use 5% of his skill-set winning.
It would certainly increase the possibility of him losing, there's no question about that. When your opponent is both stronger and has decent range advantage you're always at risk of losing. There's been plenty of instances in boxing where the match turned because of a lucky punch after all. And don't get me wrong, I'm no Mcgregor hater nor am I a Mayweather fan... hell I just my first fight involving the guys(the fight in question lol). I'm just saying that capitilizing on his supperior endurance is a tactically smart move and doesn't really take anything away from the guy.

Silent Master
It would certainly increase the possibility of him losing, there's no question about that. When your opponent is both stronger and has decent range advantage you're always at risk of losing. There's been plenty of instances in boxing where the match turned because of a lucky punch after all. And don't get me wrong, I'm no Mcgregor hater nor am I a Mayweather fan... hell I just my first fight involving the guys(the fight in question lol). I'm just saying that capitilizing on his supperior endurance is a tactically smart move and doesn't really take anything away from the guy.

The fact that he had to rely on his endurance advantage to win against someone only using 5% of their skill-set isn't very impressive, IMO.

Edit: I also hadn't seen either these guys fight before now.

darthgoober
The fact that he had to rely on his endurance advantage to win against someone only using 5% of their skill-set isn't very impressive, IMO.

Edit: I also hadn't seen either these guys fight before now.
Why are you assuming he HAD to rely on his endurance advantage just because he chose to? Just because it was the path to victory that gave him the best odds doesn't mean that it was the only path available to him.

Also, I'm not saying that his win WAS particularly impressive. A boxer SHOULD win a boxing match vs a non boxer. I do however find it impressive that he was able to maintain that endurance and keep his wits despite a number of illegal hammer blows from Mcgregor.

Also, you seem to be really hung up on Mcgregor's inability to use his full skill set without accounting for the strength and reach advantage he had. Those are a pretty significant advantages to have in a boxing match.

Silent Master
Why are you assuming he HAD to rely on his endurance advantage just because he chose to? Just because it was the path to victory that gave him the best odds doesn't mean that it was the only path available to him.

Since you object to the word had, I'll drop it and change my statement to, Mayweather chose that course of action because he didn't like his odds of beating someone who was only using 5% of the skill-set if he fought more aggressively.

darthgoober
Since you object to the word had, I'll drop it and change my statement to, Mayweather chose that course of action because he didn't like his odds of beating someone who was only using 5% of the skill-set if he fought more aggressively.
You still seem to be implying that choosing the smartest course available somehow reflects poorly on Mayweather.

And you still don't seem to be crediting Mcgregor with some pretty significant physical advantages he walked into the fight with. I mean honestly, who cares that he wasn't allowed to kick the other guy in the face or put him in an arm bar... it was a boxing match. I don't think anyone has pointed to the fight as proof that Mayweather would win in the Octagon or a street fight. He was allowed to use all the same techniques that Mayweather was and he even used a couple that neither were allowed to use.

Silent Master
You still seem to be implying that choosing the smartest course avaible somehow reflects poorly on Mayweather.

And you still don't seem to be crediting Mcgregor with some pretty significant physical advantages he walked into the fight with.

No, I am merely pointing out that I do not find taking 10 rounds to beat someone who is only using 5% of their skill-set impressive.

McGregor having some physical advantages has no bearing on the fact that he was restricted to using only 5% of his skills.

darthgoober
No, I am merely pointing out that I do not find taking 10 rounds to beat someone who is only using 5% of their skill-set impressive.

McGregor having some physical advantages has no bearing on the fact that he was restricted to using only 5% of his skills.
I never said it was particulaly impressive, just that it's not mark against him. No one's going to say that this fight proves that Mayweather is anymore impressive than his previous fights have demonstrated. Of course the boxer won the boxing match after all. I doubt anyone would give him all that much credit even if he did KO the guy inside of 3 rounds.

Very true, but then again him not being allowed to kick Mayweather has no bearing on the fact that he had those advantages and still lost. The fact that he thought he was a better pure boxer than he turned out to be is his fault, not Mayweather's.

Silent Master
I never said it was particulaly impressive, just that it's not mark against him. No one's going to say that this fight proves that Mayweather is anymore impressive than his previous fights have demonstrated. Of course the boxer won the boxing match after all. I doubt anyone would give him all that much credit even if he did KO the guy inside of 3 rounds.

Very true, but then again him not being allowed to kick Mayweather has no bearing on the fact that he had those advantages and still lost. The fact that he thought he was a better pure boxer than he turned out to be is his fault, not Mayweather's.

I'm not defending McGregor's idea that he was a better boxer so why even bring that up? I'm commenting solely on the impressiveness of the match and taking 10 rounds to beat someone using only 5% of their skill set isn't even slightly impressive.

darthgoober
I'm not defending McGregor's idea that he was a better boxer so why even bring that up? I'm commenting solely on the impressiveness of the match and taking 10 rounds to beat someone using only 5% of their skill set isn't even slightly impressive.
Beating a non boxer in boxing is inherently unimpressive for a boxer. There's basically no way that fight could have went down that would have made an impressive win for Mayweather short of something like a 1 punch KO.

NemeBro
Clearly you are to stupid. *too

Are you intentionally being a moron? I find it hard to believe someone could make themselves look so stupid without being an intentional parody.

NemeBro
I'm not defending McGregor's idea that he was a better boxer so why even bring that up? I'm commenting solely on the impressiveness of the match and taking 10 rounds to beat someone using only 5% of their skill set isn't even slightly impressive. How is a forty year old man rather easily beating a man eleven years younger in a battle of endurance not impressive?

You really don't know much about boxing friend.

It's also pretty disingenuous to refer to boxing as 5% of Conor's skillset when he is primarily a boxer in MMA.

Silent Master
I've already explained why I don't consider it impressive.

Steve Zodiac
How is a forty year old man rather easily beating a man eleven years younger in a battle of endurance not impressive?

You really don't know much about boxing friend.

It's also pretty disingenuous to refer to boxing as 5% of Conor's skillset when he is primarily a boxer in MMA.

Yeah, most of his work is based on setting up his left hand through excellent boxing skills for MMA. He has a goodish takedown defence, however, once on the ground he is very vulnerable as Diaz showed, although Diaz has truly excellent Jui Jitsu and is good at boxing to his strengths which include a long reach for his weight and a stiff jab. Conor has good and flashy legs ala Tae Kwon Do, but he can't leg kick well and doesn't have the leg conditioning to do it, when he did it to Diaz he hurt himself as much as Diaz. His movement is unusual and seems to work although he bought into Ido Portal's Sensei rubbish a little too much at one point.

Steve Zodiac
But like with any sport, we are armchair/amateur enthusiasts commenting on the differences in skills between highly trained pros way beyond our possible skill levels and conditioning. I once got in the ring sparring with an ex British welterweight champ in Nottingham, he was very kind and used it as a teaching experience for me, he could have hurt me anytime he wanted despite our size difference I was completely out of my depth sparring with him.

NemeBro
I've effortlessly defeated Fedor with a single jab actually, and my right hook is legally considered a weapon of mass destruction.

Steve Zodiac
I've effortlessly defeated Fedor with a single jab actually, and my right hook is legally considered a weapon of mass destruction. Haha, in that case you are more than qualified to comment, was that before or after performing the Di mak on Mike Tyson?

Silent Master
That's because you never wash your hands.

Steve Zodiac
That's because you never wash your hands. It's funny because Neme doesn't wash his hands smile

Surtur
"I Turned Him Into A Mexican Tonight": Hypersensitive Snowflakes Triggered By McGregor's Compliment After Loss To Mayweather

laughing

StyleTime
"I Turned Him Into A Mexican Tonight": Hypersensitive Snowflakes Triggered By McGregor's Compliment After Loss To Mayweather

laughing
laughing out loud

He could have picked a better descriptor, but yeah, he wasn't referring to the Mexican ethnicity. He meant a style of fighting popular with Mexican fighters. Similar to how "wrestleboxing" is popular with American MMA fighters, or kickboxing for the Dutch, etc. Different countries have "styles" that often form.
Yeah, most of his work is based on setting up his left hand through excellent boxing skills for MMA. He has a goodish takedown defence, however, once on the ground he is very vulnerable as Diaz showed, although Diaz has truly excellent Jui Jitsu and is good at boxing to his strengths which include a long reach for his weight and a stiff jab. Conor has good and flashy legs ala Tae Kwon Do, but he can't leg kick well and doesn't have the leg conditioning to do it, when he did it to Diaz he hurt himself as much as Diaz. His movement is unusual and seems to work although he bought into Ido Portal's Sensei rubbish a little too much at one point.
I agree. Conor got tired in the first match though. It's been one of Conor's biggest weak points in MMA, or now boxing I guess. He's super dangerous for anyone in the opening rounds, and slows down from there. His fighting style just isn't suited for long, drawn out matches.

And Nate is a legitimate triathlon competitor. He isn't getting tired like...ever.

Sable
*too

Are you intentionally being a moron? I find it hard to believe someone could make themselves look so stupid without being an intentional parody.

It far "to" easy "to" send you over the cliff with gramatical errors. Stay thirsty, swine.

Robtard
So Mayweather had a minimum purse of 100mil and McGregor (aka The Great White Hype) had one of 30mil. I'm sure they both made more after all is said and done.

Just lucky it ended by ref ruling, which makes it controversial. So how long until May weather Vs McGregor II? I say 9-12 months

Sable
Mayweather got $200 million. McGregor got $100 milliion

Steve Zodiac
Originally posted by StyleTime
laughing out loud

He could have picked a better descriptor, but yeah, he wasn't referring to the Mexican ethnicity. He meant a style of fighting popular with Mexican fighters. Similar to how "wrestleboxing" is popular with American MMA fighters, or kickboxing for the Dutch, etc. Different countries have "styles" that often form.

I agree. Conor got tired in the first match though. It's been one of Conor's biggest weak points in MMA, or now boxing I guess. He's super dangerous for anyone in the opening rounds, and slows down from there. His fighting style just isn't suited for long, drawn out matches.

And Nate is a legitimate triathlon competitor. He isn't getting tired like...ever.

Mcgregor tires because he is cutting weight to below his actual weight class in a way most people don't. Most people cut 12 pounds; he's cutting a lot more. He is a bigger man fighting naturally much smaller men than him, this wasn't true of course in the Diaz bouts, where in the first he was overweight for him and had not done enough Cardio and as you said in the second Diaz did what Diaz does best ran a marathon, which is why it was so close. Diaz is a very good boxer for MMA, he may not look stylish but he is actually very good.

Khazra Reborn
Mcgregor tires because he is cutting weight to below his actual weight class in a way most people don't. Most people cut 12 pounds; he's cutting a lot more. He is a bigger man fighting naturally much smaller men than him, this wasn't true of course in the Diaz bouts, where in the first he was overweight for him and had not done enough Cardio and as you said in the second Diaz did what Diaz does best ran a marathon, which is why it was so close. Diaz is a very good boxer for MMA, he may not look stylish but he is actually very good.

At featherweight he cuts a lot, but at lightweight he doesn't, I don't know if you're referencing Boxing or MMA, but in mma the average fighter cuts a lot more than 12 pounds. Most guys at the top of their respective divisions cut upwards of 25.

Steve Zodiac
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
At featherweight he cuts a lot, but at lightweight he doesn't, I don't know if you're referencing Boxing or MMA, but in mma the average fighter cuts a lot more than 12 pounds. Most guys at the top of their respective divisions cut upwards of 25. The heavier the weight the more water weight you can cut last minute, most have this down to a fine art. People don't cut as drastically as they once did due to incidents like Michael Watson and Gerald McClellan where the use of diuretics was at least contributory to brain damage and in McClellan's case death. And if your saw how much bigger than Alvarez quite a standard lightweight Mcgregor was you realise he cuts a lot even for lightweight.

Surtur
laughing out loud

I'm just curious what they even thought he meant when they thought it was racism lol. Like what they specifically thought he was trying to say when he said he "turned him into a mexican".

Khazra Reborn
The heavier the weight the more water weight you can cut last minute, most have this down to a fine art. People don't cut as drastically as they once did due to incidents like Michael Watson and Gerald McClellan where the use of diuretics was at least contributory to brain damage and in McClellan's case death. And if your saw how much bigger than Alvarez quite a standard lightweight Mcgregor was you realise he cuts a lot even for lightweight.

He was taller, but I guarantee you Alvarez probably had close to 10 lbs on McGregor. Alvarez is muscular as phuck.

StyleTime
Originally posted by Robtard
So Mayweather had a minimum purse of 100mil and McGregor (aka The Great White Hype) had one of 30mil. I'm sure they both made more after all is said and done.

Just lucky it ended by ref ruling, which makes it controversial. So how long until May weather Vs McGregor II? I say 9-12 months
https://s26.postimg.org/6p2an76w9/FB_IMG_1503812765929.jpg

Robtard
^
Basically

Surtur
Floyd got fat.

Sable
https://s26.postimg.org/6p2an76w9/FB_IMG_1503812765929.jpg

The more I read, think, and rewatch this fight. McGregor sold out for that $100 million.

Surtur
The more I read, think, and rewatch this fight. McGregor sold out for that $100 million.

Possibly, dude had to know he had no chance.

Adam_PoE

So Mayweather ran down the clock for 10 rounds and won by technical knock out. Sounds about right.

Steve Zodiac
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
He was taller, but I guarantee you Alvarez probably had close to 10 lbs on McGregor. Alvarez is muscular as phuck. So what you are saying is Alvarez is a short man who has packed on muscle to compete at that weight like a bodybuilder and isn't naturally big enough without the extra bulk to compete? And outside of fight time he is not in fighting shape? Whereas Mcgregor is a naturally bigger framed man who drops weight to compete against pumped up dwarves?

Steve Zodiac
So Mayweather ran down the clock for 10 rounds and won by technical knock out. Sounds about right. Yup

Surtur
I am seeing some act like they almost feel cheated. Like Mayweather and McGregor pulled one over on everyone and are laughing all the way to the bank.

I guess the implication there is that from the beginning they both knew McGregor had no real chance, but just set it up to make money.

Steve Zodiac
I am seeing some act like they almost feel cheated. Like Mayweather and McGregor pulled one over on everyone and are laughing all the way to the bank.

I guess the implication there is that from the beginning they both knew McGregor had no real chance, but just set it up to make money. It doesn't quite meet the freak show of Ali Vs. Inoki but it might be a new low for the last twenty years for a sports "event".

StyleTime
So Mayweather ran down the clock for 10 rounds and won by technical knock out. Sounds about right.
thumb up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFnFKu9QqoA

I guess the implication there is that from the beginning they both knew McGregor had no real chance, but just set it up to make money.
I'm surprised people bought into the hype. The quest for 50-0, the size/age difference, the shit talking, etc, were all just marketing tools. I doubt McGregor genuinely thought he'd win, or that Floyd cared that much about 50-0. In the off chance chance McGregor did get an early KO, Floyd still walks away with tons of money. There is no downside to this fight at all, regardless of outcome. They were totally working together on this.

It's speculated Conor got at least 100 mil and Floyd 300 mil. They're laughing their asses off while people at Sherdog argue Boxing vs MMA.
Well, Conor has always been upfront that his primary concern is money. He just happens to be super talented, both as a fighter and a hype man.

Keep in mind, I'm not criticizing them. If you told me I could get 100 million dollars for getting my ass beat, I'd wrap my hands right now and walk to Vegas.

NemeBro
It doesn't quite meet the freak show of Ali Vs. Inoki but it might be a new low for the last twenty years for a sports "event". Inoki nigh-effortlessly dominated Ali tbh (despite the rules being geared toward gimping Inoki's offensive reservoir) and demonstrated the fundamental limitations of boxing as a martial art. It was a great fight tbh fam. thumb up

Robtard
That fight was a debacle, imo. Inoki on his back like some cheap Romanian whore for 90+% of the time and Ali looking like a clown. Not sure Inoki dominated, he did have the best hits though, the very few that were had. All out; both being able to use the full arsenal of their respective sports, Inoki would have likely won as he was around Ali's size, if a bit heavier. Barring Ali catching Inoki with a clean chin-shot as Inoki came in.

Have you see the fight that happened before that match with Andre 'The Giant' Vs Wepner? Wrestling Vs Boxing, it's the match that was the inspiration for Rocky Vs Thunderlips in Rocky III

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/34/54/2e/34542e23e72b56781e63e65794eb5502--hulk-hogan-rocky-balboa.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.