Versatility battle

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Damborgson
List then in order as to who has the widest array of abilities

-Iron Man (all armors)
-Superman
-Martian Man hunter
-Thor
-Green Lantern (Hal)
-Silver Surfer.

riv6672
Silver Surfer/Thor
Iron Man
Green Lantern
MM
Superman

zopzop
1) Surfer EASILY
2) Martian Manhunter
The rest don't matter

tkitna
Surfer
Thor
Iron Man
MM
Green Lantern
Superman

abhilegend
Green Lantern
Silver Surfer
Iron Man
Thor
J'onn
SupermanOriginally posted by tkitna
Surfer
Thor
Iron Man
MM
Green Lantern
Superman
laughing out loud

spetznaz
Avoiding the usual D.C./Marvel bias, the list should be something like this:

1. Silver Surfer & Green Lantern (both have been written as having enormous versatility, although more recently we usually see simple blasts ...but they have the power to do everything from igniting suns to rewriting DNA);
2. Thor (another character that has been written recently as significantly less than what he could be, but in decades past the 'god' in 'God of thunder' used to be more pronounced, and he would do mighty feats with Mjolnir. More recently though he's fallen to the usual comic book writer nonsense of 'let's beat each other up,' and made him into a hammer wielding version of Hulk, which is why he is number two and not part of number 1.)
3. Iron Man and Martian Manhunter. For Tony Stark - an armor for everything, and while not as powerful as any of the individuals on the list, the question is about versatility and not power. For MM - he has super strength, super speed, force breath, force vision, enhanced senses (basically, he has been shown with many of the abilities your typical Kryptonian has ...apart from ice breath if I recall correctly). All of these at very high levels (not as high as a Kryptonian, but still prodigious). Add to those abilities high level telepathy, high level shape shifting, high level density/intangibility, a highly strategic mind (like Batman, he had plans for bringing down the JLA), and if push comes to shove in his DNA he has a literal monster hiding there in the form of the burning.
4. Finally, Superman. Many abilities, all of them at significantly high levels. Additionally, in Superman Unchained (where he faced an adversary called Wraith), it was shown that there are still additional powers for Superman to get as he absorbs more solar energy in the years and decades ahead. He is extremely powerful, and has many ways to end a fight, but this is about how many tools you have available rather than the power of those tools. He comes last.

riv6672
Originally posted by tkitna
Surfer
Thor
Iron Man
MM
Green Lantern
Superman
Almost identical to mine.
I can see flipping MM & GL. thumb up

shadowknight
SS-In many ways GL & SS are mirror images of each other in abilities, I rate SS higher due to his greater versatility and to be honest he doesn't appear as often as GL so his writers have a ready made excuse for forgetting what he's capable of.

MM

GL-The problem with GL most of their abilities have steadily been disregarded over the last 30 odd yrs.

Thor-The problem with Thor is most of his abilities have steadily been disregarded over the last 25 odd yrs.

IM-I was extremely tempted to put him last given he has to switch Armor to uses most of his abilities. But the thread stipulations outweighs any personal bias.

SM-I think people are sleeping on SM abilities, specially his potential and creative use of his powers to duplicate other abilities like weather control, explosive sunburst & sonic scream which is considerably more powerful than anyone else baring Black Bolt. Nevertheless I can't go with potential.

spetznaz
Originally posted by shadowknight
SS-In many ways GL & SS are mirror images of each other in abilities, I rate SS higher due to his greater versatility and to be honest he doesn't appear as often as GL so his writers have a ready made excuse for forgetting what he's capable of.

MM

GL-The problem with GL most of their abilities have steadily been disregarded over the last 30 odd yrs.

Thor-The problem with Thor is most of his abilities have steadily been disregarded over the last 25 odd yrs.

IM-I was extremely tempted to put him last given he has to switch Armor to uses most of his abilities. But the thread stipulations outweighs any personal bias.

SM-I think people are sleeping on SM abilities, specially his potential and creative use of his powers to duplicate other abilities like weather control, explosive sunburst & sonic scream which is considerably more powerful than anyone else baring Black Bolt. Nevertheless I can't go with potential.

Exactly. You're ranking is different from mine, but I agree with it completely. It is also quite sad how neutered Green Lanterns and Thor have become.

Green Lanters went from wielding the 'most powerful weapon in the universe,' capable of literally anything the wielder could imagine (anything, with the exception of yellow stuff and the need for a recharge), to now simply creating shields (that can be broken by any brick) and shooting blasts (that can be tanked by any brick).

Thor went from being able to do crazy stuff with Mjolnir (cosmic level magic), to simply being the equivalent of a handsome Hulk with a hammer (in terms of how he fights in a thoroughly one-dimensional 'smash' manner).

spetznaz
As for Superman ...also agree. There's a battle I participated in a decade ago where I used Superman's dense body, speed and the eartt's magnetic field to show how with total use of his ice breath he could create a planetary EMP ....throws days when KMC had real debates ...These days it is all about 'smash'

Anyway, I fully agree. He has great potential, but in this list he comes last.

Ps: I just remembered a comic from years ago where, I believe a dreaming Superman, realized that by simply spitting he could destroy Lex Luthor's battle armor ...one spit ..

Dareangel
if its about versatility than superman 1 million kal kent wins this

meep-meep
Originally posted by Damborgson

-Iron Man (all armors)
-Superman
-Martian Man hunter
-Thor
-Green Lantern (Hal)
-Silver Surfer.

Hmm.

1.SS
2.GL, potentially Thor w/ Mjolnir.
3.MM the jobber he is.
4.IM, if he could combine the abilities of all his armors in one he'd be higher.
5.SM, he has the least amount of abilities though he still has many, and he's top tier in all of them. Heck he maybe has more abilities than IM in a lot of instances (ie. Strength, flight, reaction and travel speed, sight, hearing, vibration abilities, heat vision, screaming, breath, etc.)

Just my opinion. Feel free to critique.

Edit: I just saw IM has all armors. In that case i'll switch him with MM. Though, the gap between 2 and 3 isn't humongous.

Dareangel
Originally posted by meep-meep
Hmm.

1.SS
2.GL, potentially Thor w/ Mjolnir.
3.MM the jobber he is.
4.IM, if he could combine the abilities of all his armors in one he'd be higher.
5.SM, he has the least amount of abilities though he still has many, and he's top tier in all of them. Heck he maybe has more abilities than IM in a lot of instances (ie. Strength, flight, reaction and travel speed, sight, hearing, vibration abilities, heat vision, screaming, breath, etc.)

Just my opinion. Feel free to critique.

Edit: I just saw IM has all armors. In that case i'll switch him with MM. Though, the gap between 2 and 3 isn't humongous.

explain to me ok? to me. how are those characters more versatile than superman 1 million

spetznaz
Originally posted by Dareangel
explain to me ok? to me. how are those characters more versatile than superman 1 million

I don't know if you're serious or trolling, but assuming you're serious ...it would help if Superman 1 Million was on the original list. However, since he is not, he is not being ranked.

meep-meep

Originally posted by spetznaz
I don't know if you're serious or trolling, but assuming you're serious ...it would help if Superman 1 Million was on the original list. However, since he is not, he is not being ranked.

thumb up

Dareangel

Truth doesnt need lists to be told

TethAdamTheRock
Originally posted by riv6672
Silver Surfer/Thor
Iron Man
Green Lantern
MM
Superman Green Lanterns ring can do everything iron man suit can

TethAdamTheRock

-Iron Man (all armors)
-Superman
-Martian Man hunter
-Thor
-Green Lantern (Hal)
-Silver Surfer.

Silver Surfer
Green Lantern
Martian Manhunter
Superman
Thor/Iron Man

tkitna
Almost identical to mine.
I can see flipping MM & GL. thumb up

Yeah, just as long as its agreed that Supermans last

shadowknight
explain to me ok? to me. how are those characters more versatile than superman 1 million I could also add Bronze Age SM who had most the abilities of MM+ a few more. There's also Sentry who's basically a Swiss army knife of SH abilities. But I respected the thread limits and didn't include them.miffed Respect the thread limits or move on.

abhilegend
Yeah, just as long as its agreed that Supermans last
He would still beat all of them though.

tkitna
Originally posted by abhilegend
He would still beat all of them though.

Only if you wrote the comic. Honestly, he would lose and lose badly.

Dareangel
Originally posted by shadowknight
I could also add Bronze Age SM who had most the abilities of MM+ a few more. There's also Sentry who's basically a Swiss army knife of SH abilities. But I respected the thread limits and didn't include them.miffed Respect the thread limits or move on.

The truth has no limits

riv6672
...it would help if Superman 1 Million was on the original list. However, since he is not, he is not being ranked.
Sick burn. I rank that at number one for this thread.

Smurph
I don't understand ranking Ironman below anybody but GL/Silver Surfer. IM has access to all his armours, and he can control them all remotely. MM and Thor have lots of available powers, but not that many.

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by Smurph
I don't understand ranking Ironman below anybody but GL/Silver Surfer. IM has access to all his armours, and he can control them all remotely. MM and Thor have lots of available powers, but not that many.
thumb up
Though I think Thor might give IM a run for his money. Maybe...

SS/GL
Iron Man
Thor
MM
Supes

Damborgson
Thor's got A LOT of miscellaneous abilities.

abhilegend
Only if you wrote the comic. Honestly, he would lose and lose badly.
Your crying about Superman in every thread is just amusing marvel zombie.

Sin I AM
Are we using ALL tonys armors?

Smurph
Thor's got A LOT of miscellaneous abilities. Sure. But so does every one of Tony's armours, of which he has dozens, some of which are particularly odd and specialized.

Damborgson
Sure. But so does every one of Tony's armours, of which he has dozens, some of which are particularly odd and specialized.

Sure, with all armors he's got more stuff than we can count probably my but Thor would keep up pretty well. The hammer is a levatating plot device

meep-meep

thumb up

Totally reasonable. I personally place IM below Thor, with SS and GL being 1 and 2, because of Mjolnirs exotic fringe abilities. But, all of Tony's armors could push him past Thor. There are things I'm ignorant of (not intentionally) and I welcome new info. You might be right.

meep-meep
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Are we using ALL tonys armors?

Yes ma'am.

riv6672
thumb up

Totally reasonable. I personally place IM below Thor, with SS and GL being 1 and 2, because of Mjolnirs exotic fringe abilities. But, all of Tony's armors could push him past Thor. There are things I'm ignorant of (not intentionally) and I welcome new info. You might be right.
I'm with you on Tony's armor being able to do a lot of things (Especially nowadays. Technology has finally started catching up to what a tech oriented character might really do.), i just think Thor's hammer can do more powerful things.

I listed Mjolnir's powers here
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=522796&pagenumber=49
Pages 49 and 50, back when i first joined KMC.
Its a pity its not used by Marvel. stick out tongue

spetznaz
I'm with you on Tony's armor being able to do a lot of things (Especially nowadays. Technology has finally started catching up to what a tech oriented character might really do.), i just think Thor's hammer can do more powerful things.

I listed Mjolnir's powers here
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=522796&pagenumber=49
Pages 49 and 50, back when i first joined KMC.
Its a pity its not used by Marvel. stick out tongue

Great list Riv. Goes to show just how versatile Thor is. I even came across another power, where he had control of earth through Mjolnir.

However, as you correctly mentioned, Marvel have forgotten that Mjolnir is not just some crude weapon (in the same way D.C. forgot that a green lanter ring is not for blasting and making defensive shields). I'm honestly not sure which character has been neutered more ...Thor or high level GLs.

Fact is though, Thor is mostly used as a pretty-version of Hulk, stomping about smashing things with his hammer ...while high level GLs are shown blasting things with rings, making simple constructs, and creating shields that inevitably get busted by some brick.

riv6672
Its doing both Thor and GL(s) a disservice, IMO.
Very versatile power sets.

-Pr-

-Iron Man (all armors)
-Superman
-Martian Man hunter
-Thor
-Green Lantern (Hal)
-Silver Surfer.

Surfer
GL
Iron Man
Thor
Martian Manhunter
Superman

quanchi112
Originally posted by abhilegend
Your crying about Superman in every thread is just amusing marvel zombie. Irony.

"Id"

-Green Lantern (Hal)
Green Lantern rings can do virtually anything, and I mean anything short from flat out Reality Wapring. It it can do that too when you reach high enough power. More so it can tap into the speed force, grant itself Daximite body, and ALL those nifty energy, and matter manipulation feats.

I've made the ever popular Lantern vs Herald challenge. Where a green lantern replicates any feat done by Herald. And for the most part the GL deliver. Now if we where to reverse the challenge. There are some huge and specific feats. Like advance tech Surfer can ever to hope to catch.

-Silver Surfer.
With the Power Cosmic comes Cosmic Awareness its Nigh ability to manipulate energy and matter makes it extremely versatile.

-Thor
Same is Surfer but to lesser degree on top of his abilities not being innate but relying on his mallet to perform it.

-Iron Man (all armors)
Tony had had armors that allow him to adapt and create any tech possible.

The rest....

-Martian Man hunter

-Superman

riv6672
Did you factor that (the abilities not being innate) into GL(s)?
I didnt see you make a point of it in their case, but you did in Thor's.

"Id"
Did you factor that (the abilities not being innate) into GL(s)?
I didnt see you make a point of it in their case, but you did in Thor's.

I did.

riv6672
Interesting.

Genii96
Surfer
GL/Thor
IM
MM
Superman

the Darkone
Thor, SS
MM and GL

beatboks

-Iron Man (all armors)
-Superman
-Martian Man hunter
-Thor
-Green Lantern (Hal)
-Silver Surfer.

Thor - none of the others can do magic while a few can energy matter manipulate.

SS/ GL - fairly even both can plenty

MMH

Superman

Some missing from the list. (Most of whombare as versatileas Thor/SS/GL)

Dr Fate - super strength, invulnerability, flight, tk, tp, energy and matter manip, magic

Capt Comet - super strength, invulnerability, flight, teleportation, TP, TK (whichbje has usedto matter and energy manip)

Sentry

Capt Marvel (marvel)

Star Brande

Quasar,

meep-meep
Originally posted by beatboks
Thor - none of the others can do magic while a few can energy matter manipulate.

SS/ GL - fairly even both can plenty

MMH

Superman

Some missing from the list. (Most of whombare as versatileas Thor/SS/GL)

Dr Fate - super strength, invulnerability, flight, tk, tp, energy and matter manip, magic

Capt Comet - super strength, invulnerability, flight, teleportation, TP, TK (whichbje has usedto matter and energy manip)

Sentry

Capt Marvel (marvel)

Star Brande

Quasar,

Why Thor?

beatboks
Why Thor?

I detailed why in my statememt. SS and GL can create energy constricts, manip energy, matter, time, space etc etc.

Thor with mjilnor can do all that plus control weather, earth and can do magic that has a million and 1 more applications than any of that when yoi think oitside the box. Magic allows reality manipulation which pretty much allows you to do anything. Thor has omly used this om rare occasions but the thread isnt about how often its used but how versatile they are. Its frankly a no contest of those listed. You could add Daimon Hellstrom and he would be the same.

abhilegend
The lack of faith in a GL ring is disturbing. Can anything here truly resurrect their wielder? A GL ring can even if they are dead and in control of a black ring.

https://s26.postimg.org/8pkn11a5x/-008.jpg https://s26.postimg.org/cn7wqfwz9/-010.jpg https://s26.postimg.org/6nk5msc6t/-040.jpg https://s26.postimg.org/3uqy2rbud/-041.jpg

riv6672
^^^Every character/object lsted can do things the others cant.
Thats not the point of the thread.

Originally posted by beatboks
I detailed why in my statememt. SS and GL can create energy constricts, manip energy, matter, time, space etc etc.

Thor with mjilnor can do all that plus control weather, earth and can do magic that has a million and 1 more applications than any of that when yoi think oitside the box. Magic allows reality manipulation which pretty much allows you to do anything. Thor has omly used this om rare occasions but the thread isnt about how often its used but how versatile they are. Its frankly a no contest of those listed. You could add Daimon Hellstrom and he would be the same.
Well put.
I listed SS & Thor with a '/' as i found it too close to call, but if we had a decent edit feature i'd put Thor at 1 and SA at 2, after reading.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.