Alita: Battle Angel (2018)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
From Robert Rodriguez. Looks like a good cast...

IMDB

Based on an anime apparently...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3b/e7/d0/3be7d01b36e5732bebf924c043ad00fb.jpg

BruceSkywalker
love the manga, s will be interesting to see how this works in live action

Kazenji
Never seen the Anime, Hoping my local distributor eventually releases it.

Patient_Leech
This concept sounds cool. And with Rodriguez involved it should be fun. Wonder if it'll be R-rated?

Robtard
Saw the anime back in the early-mid 90's, think it was alright, only recall a bit. Will wait for a trailer.

edit: can actually watch it for free it seems, just found:

EHG_kOfrtTQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHG_kOfrtTQ

Flyattractor
So Rob Rodriguez is making this.... does that mean He will cas the main Female robo thing with that girl he had the hots for in those Spy Kids Movies?

And no. I don't mean Jessica Alba...

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Flyattractor
So Rob Rodriguez is making this.... does that mean He will cas the main Female robo thing with that girl he had the hots for in those Spy Kids Movies?

I haven't seen Spy Kids. Who is it?

quanchi112
Animes don't have a great track record.

Kazenji
Just seen the trailer for this comes out tomorrow.

vansonbee
In the manga there was gore and lot of action. I just hope Hollywood doesn't drag down another anime, like Dragon Ball. Expecting lot of women going to watch this for a female cyborg main character beating a bunch of thug men and killer robots.

carthage
Count me in on this
Before ******* accuse them of whitewashing and then cause the movie to tank

-Pr-
aj8mN_7Apcw

Looks interesting.

steverules_2
Originally posted by Robtard
Saw the anime back in the early-mid 90's, think it was alright, only recall a bit. Will wait for a trailer.

edit: can actually watch it for free it seems, just found:

EHG_kOfrtTQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHG_kOfrtTQ

Just watched it, pretty good, phucking weird...but good

Robtard
Originally posted by -Pr-
aj8mN_7Apcw

Looks interesting. Yeah, enough to check out

BruceSkywalker
trailer looks decent.... will prolly check out next year

Patient_Leech
I'd like to give Rodriguez the benefit of the doubt, but he can be hit or miss.

It looks pretty weird as ****.

roughrider
The co-screenwriter of this is a significant red flag. Look at her film resume as a writer - it doesn't give me confidence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laeta_Kalogridis

Kazenji
Originally posted by roughrider
The co-screenwriter of this is a significant red flag. Look at her film resume as a writer - it doesn't give me confidence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laeta_Kalogridis

Also have James Cameron & Robert Rodriguez also helping out on writing too.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Kazenji
Also have James Cameron & Robert Rodriguez also helping out on writing too.

Hence the word "co-screenwriter," Kaz.

Kazenji
I figured that, Captain Obvious.

Patient_Leech
I'm getting a little bit of a Ghost in the Shell vibe from this. Looks like it could be at least visually entertaining...

w7pYhpJaJW8

Patient_Leech
Some reviews coming in for this and they're mixed.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2466210/alita-reviews-are-up-heres-what-critics-are-saying

I liked the new Superbowl trailer, though. Looks like it could be fun and intriguing.

OIbPFmi0xk8

Kazenji
It wouldn't surprise me if the movie bombs

folks need to watch more comic book adaptations besides what the big two offer.

Patient_Leech
It wouldn't surprise me if the movie bombs...

Yeah, me neither.

James Cameron's name attached might help, though.

I do wonder what the budget for this is... oh shit, I think it's high. $150-200 mil. Yeah, that's a lot. I suspect it will bomb domestically, but who knows, maybe China and Japan will save it.

Kazenji
There's 9 volumes for the Manga, Wonder how much they tried to cram into the one film.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I haven't seen Spy Kids. Who is it?

The highly Inappropriate one to have a "Crush On".

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
love the manga, s will be interesting to see how this works in live action

"Live Action"....Thats Funny.

Patient_Leech
There's 9 volumes for the Manga, Wonder how much they tried to cram into the one film.

From that link of reviews I posted I got the impression that certain aspects might seem under-explored, so it sounds like they're saving things for sequels.

Darth Thor

folks need to watch more comic book adaptations besides what the big two offer.

thumb up

ShadowFyre
I think it looks like a good popcorn flick. And I'm also curious how she will do in the battleboards

Flyattractor
Looks like this movie could run the danger of being to much of a MarySueBoTron if this fight scene is the standard for the whole movie.

BruceSkywalker
i'm gonna root for the bad guy

Jmanghan
From Robert Rodriguez. Looks like a good cast...

IMDB

Based on an anime apparently...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3b/e7/d0/3be7d01b36e5732bebf924c043ad00fb.jpg That is a nice robot booty.

BrolyBlack
Cant wait to see this

jaden_2.0
This was far better than I was expecting. It's everything Mortal Engines should have been.

Needs a sequel to finish the story though.

carthage
I was going to see it tonight but went out with my dad instead 😂
Will definitely be seeing this Tuesday afternoon
Seems like a solid film

BruceSkywalker
seeing on Friday, hope I don't want my $14 bucks back

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
This was far better than I was expecting. It's everything Mortal Engines should have been.

Needs a sequel to finish the story though.

Yeah, I have some faith in Robert Rodriguez.

I won't be able to get out and see it anytime soon, unfortunately. I want to, though. This is one I'd like to actually visit the big screen for.

BruceSkywalker
well.. this is a turd... mahershala ali is wasted. although the visuals are nice and rosa salazar's mo cap work is excellent the script itself and overall story sucks. 3/10

wakkawakkawakka
The effects were decent...this is probably the closest we'll get to a live action Megaman/Rockman movie.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
well.. this is a turd... mahershala ali is wasted. although the visuals are nice and rosa salazar's mo cap work is excellent the script itself and overall story sucks. 3/10

Well my hopes for this being Good just went up a few notches.

Patient_Leech
While it's a little mixed with critics this seems to be getting very good audience ratings (like 92%). So that could bode well for it, word of mouth and such.

BruceSkywalker
While it's a little mixed with critics this seems to be getting very good audience ratings (like 92%). So that could bode well for it, word of mouth and such.

it's only hope is to make a ton of money overseas and that might not happen

Patient_Leech
It's already doing better than expected...

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2467069/alita-battle-angel-is-overperforming-but-how-much-does-it-need-to-break-even

That doesn't mean it's going to be profitable necessarily (it's too early to tell), but it is encouraging.

ares834
Did you see it Leech?

Patient_Leech
No, not yet.

carthage

BackFire
I didn't care much for this. Good action and set pieces, but I thought it dragged, the CGI ranged from great to terrible, and I never got used to Alita's face.

dadudemon
Originally posted by BackFire
I didn't care much for this. Good action and set pieces, but I thought it dragged, the CGI ranged from great to terrible, and I never got used to Alita's face.

Great.

I'll be watching this, then.

BackFire
I would have liked it a lot more if it were maybe 20-30 minutes shorter.

Kazenji
Been reading with some reviews that they point out it attempts to adapt 4 volumes of the Manga when they should've stuck with 2 volumes for the first movie.

Flyattractor

This I agree with for ALL Movies.. Or if they INSIST that Modern Movies be nearly 3 hours long....Bring back the INTERMISSION! Gimme a chance to refill my Pops and Corns and Stretch my dman lets and leave a piss... Shit!

Can't even bail during the credits now because of Cut Scenes.

Stupid Movies.

I blame Marvel.

BackFire
Yeah, it's a problem with a lot of movies. I feel like most movies should be around 90 minutes, but they always bloat them to like 2+ hours. The transformer movies are probably the biggest offenders.

Flyattractor
Yeah. Bumblebee would haven pure Awesome if they took out all that crap bout the Girl, her Dead Daddy Issues andher Stupid Boyfriend.....Don't Need dat Shit in Muh Giant Alien Robot Movie!!!!!

BruceSkywalker

yea definitely

BackFire
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Yeah. Bumblebee would haven pure Awesome if they took out all that crap bout the Girl, her Dead Daddy Issues andher Stupid Boyfriend.....Don't Need dat Shit in Muh Giant Alien Robot Movie!!!!!

I haven't seen Bumblebee, I was referring to the other Transformers movies that are nearly 3 hours long with about 30 minutes of actual worthwhile content.

Patient_Leech
I haven't seen Bumblebee, I was referring to the other Transformers movies that are nearly 3 hours long with no actual worthwhile content.

Fixed. You're welcome.

jaden_2.0
I haven't seen Bumblebee, I was referring to the other Transformers movies that are nearly 3 hours long with about 30 minutes of actual worthwhile content.

I must've been doing a pool during those 30 minutes for each movie.

BackFire
Yeah I guess I was being too generous.

quanchi112
Good film.

carthage
Really enjoyed it

Putinbot1
Very good film. Loved the Rollerball for kids.

ares834
Saw this the other day. It had some really cool world building and fun action sequences. Unfortnently, the main love interest was insufferable and almost ruined the movie.

CroftAlice
And here i thought it is 2019..my bad

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by CroftAlice
And here i thought it is 2019..my bad

I read it was originally going to come out in December, but that probably would have doomed it going up against Auquaman and such, so they pushed it back a ways.

Kazenji
Good film, probably one of the better Manga adaptations from Hollywood.

ares834
That's not saying much. After all, has there ever been a Hollywood adaptation of a manga/anime that has been good prior to Alita? The closest I can think of is Edge of Tomorrow and that was actually a light novel (All You Need is Kill).

Putinbot1
Originally posted by ares834
That's not saying much. After all, has there ever been a Hollywood adaptation of a manga/anime that has been good prior to Alita? The closest I can think of is Edge of Tomorrow and that was actually a light novel (All You Need is Kill). Yeah,edge of tomorrow was awesome. I'd still love to see Akira.

NemeBro
Originally posted by ares834
Saw this the other day. It had some really cool world building and fun action sequences. Unfortnently, the main love interest was insufferable and almost ruined the movie. thumb up

Could not phucking stand him.

Liked the film overall and Alita herself was bad, but film has some problems.

quanchi112
Good film but had its flaws.

Robtard
Enjoyed this, was better than the anime despite some boring bits and characters.

Hoping it does well enough for a sequel

Inhuman
Never read the magna but the movie was enjoyable.

Patient_Leech
This is hitting my cheap theater tomorrow, so I'm hoping to catch it this weekend...

Looks like it's struggling a bit at the box office. But to be fair, it's currently at $400,000,000, which isn't bad. But it's not great considering the $170 million budget.

It seems like that would be a profit, but I read a few places that it would need at least $500,000,000 to break even. sad

carthage

Patient_Leech
This movie rocked. Really enjoyed it.

I could definitely feel Robert Rodriguez's touch all over it but with a huge budget.

I'll probably elaborate more later, but yeah, fu#k this movie demands a sequel that it likely won't get..

Patient_Leech
Well I did enjoy the hell out of this and my wife enjoyed it a lot more than she was expecting to also (I showed her the trailer before we went). I missed the first few minutes, though, actually because my stupid cheap theater doesn't have a separate line for just tickets, so I had to wait behind a huge line of people in the concessions line. Yeah, so that annoyed the shit out of me, but whatever, I'll certainly watch the movie again, so no big deal...

So correct me if I'm wrong, but hopefully I didn't miss anything except her head being found in the big scrap dump? Or was there some flashback footage of the war at the beginning? I hope there was...

Anyway, I loved the performances in this. Rosa Salazar was fantastic. Although after seeing several animated movies lately I'm starting to wonder how much expression and emotion the animators are able to add to motion capture performances. Because it was super-human expressive and captivating. The rest of the cast was really fun to watch, too. Even Jackie Earle Haley was extremely entertaining. I wasn't sure if it was him in that role, but I suspected it was and sure enough. He's a fun character actor. Loved him in the first season of Preacher. Ed Skrein seems like he's getting type-cast a little bit, but he was still good as the ass-hole bounty hunter.

The film does require a lot of suspension of disbelief as you would expect with this level of sci-fi/fantasy, but the visuals really sell it well. And even though there's tons of CGI action and heavy visual effects it never felt like too much, because the action was directed so well, very engaging and exciting. Robert Rodriguez delivered even better than expected I thought.

Really awesome visuals. I'm very glad I got out to see it on a big screen. thumb up

Please get out and support this movie, it needs it for the sequel it's begging for.

I'll certainly be getting the blu-ray.

Patient_Leech
So a sequel doesn't seem entirely out of the question...

'Alita: Battle Angel' Avoids Major Write-Down And Could Get A Sequel

edit: it's not working for some reason... trying just the link then...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2019/04/02/alita-battle-angel-avoids-major-write-down-and-could-get-a-sequel/#6c53b9d86729

edit 2: yeah, I don't know wtf.

Just google "Forbes Alita Sequel"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.