If you have ever had negative thoughts about Yahweh, you are close to a Gnostic Chris

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Greatest I am

NewGuy01
I don't have a very high opinion of the christian god, and I'm not close to being any kind of christian, so no. +1 for effort, though.

Greatest I am
Originally posted by NewGuy01
I don't have a very high opinion of the christian god, and I'm not close to being any kind of christian, so no. +1 for effort, though.

No problem.

I do not blame you for not wanting to associate with the Christian name.

There is quite a difference though between a Christian and a Gnostic Christian. That is why Christians killed us the first chance they got after becoming idol worshipers.

Regards
DL

YousufKhan1212
I've not had negative thoughts about Yahweh, but I've kind of questioned him.

MythLord
I'm a Gnostic Thiest... in the sense that I think there might be a God. It doesn't have to be a Christian God.

And I fear the idea of any Yahweh being God other than the DC one.

NewGuy01
Isn't that more like being a Deist, though? Believing there's some sort of higher being responsible for creation, but not necessarily one that lights bulls on fire and summons floods?

MythLord
There's a bit of a difference between me and a Deist. A Deist is someone who believes we can get to know God through scientific proof and natural things we can observe, and sh!t.

I think there's a God, I think trying to observe him/her/it or descibre him/her/it from a human perspective is flawed since we cannot possibly fathom a higher force. I think it's benevolent... I hope it is, anyways.

Surtur
The biblical God to me is essentially some Lovecraftian horror. A powerful being whose mind seems quite alien in terms of the way it behaves and what it deems acceptable.

MythLord
That... is actually a fairly good description.

So the Bible is about Cthulhu or Hastur? Or both?

Greatest I am
Originally posted by YousufKhan1212
I've not had negative thoughts about Yahweh, but I've kind of questioned him.

Even his genocide in Noah's day where he killed when he could have just as easily cures did not produce negative thoughts of him in you?

Did you question him them and what was answered?

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
Originally posted by Surtur
The biblical God to me is essentially some Lovecraftian horror. A powerful being whose mind seems quite alien in terms of the way it behaves and what it deems acceptable.

Well put.

We Gnostic Christians just call him a le demiurge.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
Originally posted by MythLord
There's a bit of a difference between me and a Deist. A Deist is someone who believes we can get to know God through scientific proof and natural things we can observe, and sh!t.

I think there's a God, I think trying to observe him/her/it or descibre him/her/it from a human perspective is flawed since we cannot possibly fathom a higher force. I think it's benevolent... I hope it is, anyways.

Would benevolence not include popping up to tell the sheeple who the best shepherd is form the thousands on offer?

Regards
DL

MythLord
I think with God or some such higher power, I'd subscribe to the idea that -- much like a parent teaching a child -- it'll give us freedom to choose and learn from mistakes or gain from success. That way, we can always better ourselves.

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by Greatest I am
Even his genocide in Noah's day where he killed when he could have just as easily cures did not produce negative thoughts of him in you?

Did you question him them and what was answered?

Regards
DL

I've heard about that story, and I've heard Yahweh killing people in The Old Testament. I assumed that God decided to have mental breakdowns whenever he got pissed off by his own creations, which isn't exactly a nice point. But that's not what really makes me question God, what made me question God was the concept of Hell. Hell is supposed to be an eternal punishment for people who reject God, and people in Hell get tortured forever and are never taken out or given any moments of relief. I honestly believe that is extreme because people who reject God in their temporary Earthly lifetime shouldn't get such a severe punishment, especially when it lasts forever. That's probably the most "negative" thought I've had about Yahweh. When I was a Muslim, I never questioned the concept of Hell because I was psychologically conditioned to obey and not question any of Allah's teachings like all Muslims are.

MythLord
The concept of eternal damnation simply by not worshipping one "benevolent" creature is stupid in the context of any religion.

Greatest I am
I think with God or some such higher power, I'd subscribe to the idea that -- much like a parent teaching a child -- it'll give us freedom to choose and learn from mistakes or gain from success. That way, we can always better ourselves.

Sure, but in Yahweh's case, he wanted A & E and all of us slaved to him and got real murderous when A & E tasted of the freedom you speak of.

Reaching for knowledge is not a mistake, yet God punished his children for not wanting to stay stupid and seeking knowledge.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
I've heard about that story, and I've heard Yahweh killing people in The Old Testament. I assumed that God decided to have mental breakdowns whenever he got pissed off by his own creations, which isn't exactly a nice point. But that's not what really makes me question God, what made me question God was the concept of Hell. Hell is supposed to be an eternal punishment for people who reject God, and people in Hell get tortured forever and are never taken out or given any moments of relief. I honestly believe that is extreme because people who reject God in their temporary Earthly lifetime shouldn't get such a severe punishment, especially when it lasts forever. That's probably the most "negative" thought I've had about Yahweh. When I was a Muslim, I never questioned the concept of Hell because I was psychologically conditioned to obey and not question any of Allah's teachings like all Muslims are.

Questions are always embarrassing when you are conditioned to perpetually lie the way priests, preachers and imams are.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
The concept of eternal damnation simply by not worshipping one "benevolent" creature is stupid in the context of any religion.

True but the religionists buy into that idiocy in droves.

They will even abandon a preacher who tells them the truth about hell for another preacher who will feed the love of hate for all those not of their ilk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv_rmQuagpY

Regards
DL

MythLord
Well, humans are simple creatures trying to be complex. We'd rather blame all of life's problems on a singular entity rather than a complicated, interconnected web that has nothing to do with us specifically, it's just fateful circumstance.

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by Greatest I am
Questions are always embarrassing when you are conditioned to perpetually lie the way priests, preachers and imams are.

Regards
DL

I'm not psychologically conditioned to not question any of Christianity's history because I only support the teachings of Jesus from the Gospel as something to support. The Old Testament has got the most violent shit in the Bible, and I don't watch any over the top Bible preachers because they give me a headache.

Greatest I am
Well, humans are simple creatures trying to be complex. We'd rather blame all of life's problems on a singular entity rather than a complicated, interconnected web that has nothing to do with us specifically, it's just fateful circumstance.

I agree that we are rather hypocritical and refuse to step up to our own blame.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
I'm not psychologically conditioned to not question any of Christianity's history because I only support the teachings of Jesus from the Gospel as something to support. The Old Testament has got the most violent shit in the Bible, and I don't watch any over the top Bible preachers because they give me a headache.

There are more than one Jesus who speaks from scriptures.

I only like the one as the other who preaches no divorce for women and substitutionary atonement is quite immoral.

I like the Jesus that is spoken of in the following.

He free us from religion while the one you likely follow is a church tool that want to slave you to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbesfXXw&feature=player_embedded

Regards
DL

Lord Lucien
F*cking Chris, man. That guy's a shithead.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.