If so and so is 100% in strength

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ShadowFyre
Ok. So if a character can lift about a thousand tons (Colossus,Thing for ex) shouldn't people like Superman,Hulk, Thor be like 10000000000000990737473937390002830 percent? I just typed a ridiculously high number Im sure but I think y'all get the general idea.

I see a lot of posts where people put like 110% for someone who is lifting entire cities,countries,continents, breaking planets compared to somebody that lifts a building. I am not very good at math and have no college education but this seems off to me.

shadowknight
Logically you're right. The problem is Marvel Handbook started the idiocy of stating characters like Hulk, Thor and Hercules as capable of lifting 100 tons simply b/c they never did any basic research to figure out how much thing really weight. It carried over in Marvel role-playing games & after that it sort of grew as the semi-official measuring stick of characters on the net.

For example just lifting a 50 story building would require STR capable of lifting trillions of tons, Manhanttan quadrillion tons, a continent quintrillions. Yet Thing & Collosus are said to be CL 85 which means capable of lifting roughly 85 tons but they lift 50+ story building all the time. The other problem is while Thing fighting Hulk or Thor will show the Thing inferiority. B/c comics demands it never shows the vast difference in their STR lvl. A realistic portrayal would have the Thing in a coma from 2 blows either one not fighting them gamely for a full issue b4 losing.

Philosophía
Because we generally denote the gap as it would be shown in comics, not the gap in raw numbers.

So while a character might be orders of magnitude stronger than another , or a character would make another look like a statue, in a comic it wouldn't be shown as that bad.

leonidas
thumb up

bluewaterrider
Also, unlike many other characters, Hulk holds back.

carver9
I agree with Philo. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.