Annihilation (2018)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



Patient_Leech
Reminds me of Arrival, I'm intrigued...

t_cZ3rOmY-s

|King Joker|
Looks interesting. I read the book's synopsis after I watched the trailer and the whole premise seems like something I'd definitely be into.

jaden101
Like the look of this 👍

marwash22
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Reminds me of Arrival thumb up


looks interesting.

good cast.

Patient_Leech
Apparently you can read the first chapter of the book HERE.

It seems to be a pretty well-praised book. I'll try to get around to reading the first chapter sometime.

Flyattractor
Def not worth a theater watch.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Def not worth a theater watch.

Neither is your d!ck

marwash22
Fly's dick didn't test well. it never made it to theaters.

Sable
Ok I watched the trailer, I don't see how this is garnering this much interest, take Natalie Portman out of it, and but in a b-list actress like Jennifer Connelly and no one would care.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Neither is your d!ck
Originally posted by marwash22
Fly's dick didn't test well. it never made it to theaters.

You both would love to have my dick as a home rental..is that what you two are saying?

Originally posted by Sable
Ok I watched the trailer, I don't see how this is garnering this much interest, take Natalie Portman out of it, and but in a b-list actress like Jennifer Connelly and no one would care.

Looks like Natalie has already become a B-Lister if she is in this movie...

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Flyattractor
You both would love to have my dick as a home rental..is that what you two are saying?

laughing out loud

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
laughing out loud
Probably more like...


laughing out loud laughing out loud

Patient_Leech
You'll get one " laughing out loud " and you'll Facebook "Like" it.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
You'll get one " laughing out loud " and you'll Facebook "Like" it.

You have Facebook?

eww.

marwash22
Rotten Tomatoes has Fly's dick at 27%

that's direct to video quality.

one notch above syfy original movie.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by marwash22
Rotten Tomatoes has Fly's dick at 27%

that's direct to video quality.

one notch above syfy original movie.

That's pretty piss poor reviews, Fly. You need to work on your dick's performance.

Flyattractor
You two are my Target Audience. 27% is more effort then you deserve.

Patient_Leech
Nope, not for me. I demand much higher quality. Gotta have at least 80 or 85% for me to even give you a second glance.

Sable
Based on the movies you present here, no you don't.

marwash22
Originally posted by Flyattractor
You two are my Target Audience. 27% is more effort then you deserve. hey man, i like to support independent filmmakers.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Sable
Based on the movies you present here, no you don't.


Oh boo hoo... why are you being such a douche? crybaby

laughing out loud

BruceSkywalker
not a natalie portman fan, but i still might see

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
That's pretty piss poor reviews, Fly. You need to work on your dick's performance.


I heard there's a disappointing gag reel when it cums to Fly's dick performance.

Also Fly's dick appears in Alternate ENDINGS. confused

Patient_Leech
This looks kind of awesome...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/[email protected]_V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1383,1000_AL_.jpg

Sable
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Oh boo hoo... why are you being such a douche? crybaby

laughing out loud

I'll see this on redbox, after this thread has drifted off into forgottenhood, I'll remake the thread and renew interest in it. Cheers!

Patient_Leech
^ Did quanch get banned and create a new account? laughing out loud

Patient_Leech
New trailer for this apparently...

89OP78l9oF0

Patient_Leech
I'm thoroughly intrigued by this. thumb up

jaden101
More I see, more I like.

Dreampanther
This whole thread you could have been talking about Natalie Portman and you spent it talking about Fly's dick?

https://media.giphy.com/media/4pMX5rJ4PYAEM/giphy.gif

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
New trailer for this apparently...

89OP78l9oF0

Color me intrigued, will watch

Patient_Leech
Yeah, this looks really cool. I hope it's good.

Makes me want to watch Ex Machina again. That was a good film.


Originally posted by Dreampanther
This whole thread you could have been talking about Natalie Portman and you spent it talking about Fly's dick?

https://media.giphy.com/media/4pMX5rJ4PYAEM/giphy.gif

laughing out loud

Patient_Leech
Netflix might strike a deal...

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/netflix-eyeing-deal-on-natalie-portman-sci-fi-thriller-annihilation?__source=Blastr_Vayner_Syfy_Facebook&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=natalieportmanscifithriller&utm_term=top_5-25_percent&utm_content=link_ad

jaden101
Originally posted by Dreampanther
This whole thread you could have been talking about Natalie Portman and you spent it talking about Fly's dick?

https://media.giphy.com/media/4pMX5rJ4PYAEM/giphy.gif

Not much to see there.

Patient_Leech
Apparently the producer (David Ellison) wants to dumb down the film because it's "too intellectual," and Alex Garland refused so he's trying to sabotage the film by putting it on Netflix. That sucks. Hopefully it'll still make a profit, though, because I think this is based on the first of 3 books.

xfIlItsSGMs

Yeah, this guy sucks. He's produced a bunch of crap...

David Ellison

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Patient_Leech

Yeah, this guy sucks. He's produced a bunch of crap...

David Ellison

He looks as if every primary school in his neighbourhood has a restraining order against him.

riv6672
Originally posted by Dreampanther
This whole thread you could have been talking about Natalie Portman and you spent it talking about Fly's dick?

https://media.giphy.com/media/4pMX5rJ4PYAEM/giphy.gif

She's so hot...

http://www.pbh2.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/hot-natalie-portman.gif

...on topic, hopefully i'll get to see this movie.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by riv6672
She's so hot...

http://www.pbh2.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/hot-natalie-portman.gif

thumb up droolio

CPT Space Bomb
I liked Ex Machina overall but I feel it missed a chance to be much better in the third act...

This still looks really intriguing I'm sure I'll watch it. thumb up

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
I liked Ex Machina overall but I feel it missed a chance to be much better in the third act...

I just re-watched it and I think it's pretty great all the way through. It's intelligent sci-fi with a great script I consider it a bit of a cautionary tale about A.I.

CPT Space Bomb
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I just re-watched it and I think it's pretty great all the way through. It's intelligent sci-fi with a great script I consider it a bit of a cautionary tale about A.I. Think about how cool it would have been if when Domhnall Gleeson went into the bathroom to cut himself if he found out he was an AI....that would have been amazing...

Yet what we got was ultimately predictable in my opinion...in the third act. I still really enjoyed the movie and highly recommend it to anyone; that said I think it could have been a bit better.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I just re-watched it and I think it's pretty great all the way through. It's intelligent sci-fi with a great script I consider it a bit of a cautionary tale about A.I.

I recently watched The Machine again with Caity Lotz and it's a solid 8/10 from me. Along with Ex Machina they rank as two of my favourite movies about AI. Bonus with The Machine is Caity shows off her dancing and martial arts skills.

http://www.neondystopia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/The_Machine_Gif_2.gif

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
Think about how cool it would have been if when Domhnall Gleeson went into the bathroom to cut himself if he found out he was an AI....that would have been amazing...

thumb down

Originally posted by Dreampanther
I recently watched The Machine again with Caity Lotz and it's a solid 8/10 from me. Along with Ex Machina they rank as two of my favourite movies about AI. Bonus with The Machine is Caity shows off her dancing and martial arts skills.

Never heard of it. I'll look into it.

Patient_Leech
Cool poster...

https://static2.srcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Annihilation-movie-poster.jpg

Patient_Leech
Yep, most international rights are going to Netflix because this douche is trying to screw over the producer and director. This smells of bad news for talented filmmakers getting handed interesting sci-fi blockbusters in the future...

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/01/annihilation-paramount-netflix/551810/

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Cool poster...



I dunno...that poster's gonna give some Hollywood exec the dumb idea of re-making The Predator with an all female cast. sick

Robtard
Don't care for the poster myself, looks like a B-Film poster to me.

Still, the trailers and premise of this have my hopes up and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Kazenji
If given a chance Alex Garland would like to do a good Swamp Thing movie

https://screenrant.com/swamp-thing-movie-alex-garland/

Patient_Leech
Some pretty impressive reviews here, I guess from people who have seen it early for one reason or another.. prescreenings or something..

https://letterboxd.com/film/annihilation/

Robtard
Usually presceenings, I caught Downsizing (2017) about 6months before it was released like this. They're testing for audience reactions, to see if they can tweak the film before official release.

Patient_Leech
SJW strike again...

Annihilation Is Being Criticized for Erasing the Main Character's Race

If the race isn't important to the story (and it likely isn't) then who cares? It's a movie with a niche market, so obviously the studio was banking on a huge movie star to help gather interest and didn't change the character's race because they hate asians and native americans.

But what the hell, I don't know. I'll have to wait to see the film.

carthage
High expectations for this one
Should be a good follow up to Black Panther be week before

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
SJW strike again...

Annihilation Is Being Criticized for Erasing the Main Character's Race

If the race isn't important to the story (and it likely isn't) then who cares? It's a movie with a niche market, so obviously the studio was banking on a huge movie star to help gather interest and didn't change the character's race because they hate asians and native americans.

But what the hell, I don't know. I'll have to wait to see the film.

People being silly again and exactly, if the race isn't integral to the character, who cares.

eg When there were rumors that Peter Parker was going to be cast as a black actor for The Amazing Spider-Man and people freaked out. Parker's a geeky loner highschooler, his skin color is all-in-all irrelevant to his character.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
People being silly again and exactly, if the race isn't integral to the character, who cares.

eg When there were rumors that Peter Parker was going to be cast as a black actor for The Amazing Spider-Man and people freaked out. Parker's a geeky loner highschooler, his skin color is all-in-all irrelevant to his character.

Yeah, it's annoying because each culture is obviously going to be able to relate a little bit more to people who look like them, it's simply human nature. So a film that already has sort of a niche market doesn't want to alienate the audience anymore than it has to. But honestly I don't really care what the race is of the person playing the role as long as they do it well.

Originally posted by carthage
High expectations for this one
Should be a good follow up to Black Panther be week before

Yeah, I'm totally getting tickets for this as soon as they go on sale in my area. Been looking forward to it for a while.

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, it's annoying because each culture is obviously going to be able to relate a little bit more to people who look like them, it's simply human nature. So a film that already has sort of a niche market doesn't want to alienate the audience anymore than it has to. But honestly I don't really care what the race is of the person playing the role as long as they do it well.

Exactly. I'll take a Black Thor if that Black actor does a fantastic job with the role. Thought it should be noted that Helmsworth while not a great actor overall, is fantastic as Thor and they should use him in the role for as long as possible.

But there are limits at times as race is pivotal to some characters. Like you couldn't have a Chinese actor playing the role of Solomon Northup (12 Years a Slave), just wouldn't work well regardless of how good the actor is, the viewer couldn't immerse themselves.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard

But there are limits at times as race is pivotal to some characters. Like you couldn't have a Chinese actor playing the role of Solomon Northup (12 Years a Slave), just wouldn't work well regardless of how good the actor is, the viewer couldn't immerse themselves.

Lol, well yeah. That's a definite case in which race is integral to the character, story, setting of time and place, etc. It's completely historically relevant. And that's a great movie. But with a totally fiction story like this in which race is entirely irrelevant who cares whether or not every single race is represented. This PC SJW notion is getting out of hand.

I'm not denying that Hollywood likely has a problem with hiring predominantly white American types, but again it comes around to human nature. It seems there is plenty of female representation in the film, so there will never be a way to completely please SJW. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Patient_Leech
This is sounding like some pretty great science fiction. I'm looking forward to it...

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/annihilation-first-reviews-alex-garland-natalie-portman-1201926330/

Patient_Leech
Finally some reviews rolling in on RT and they seem quite positive. It's apparently some good, weird sci-fi...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/annihilation

Patient_Leech
Saw this last night and it is a truly puzzling film, but mostly in a good way. It's clearly aiming to be sci-fi film like Under the Skin, Prometheus, or even 2001. It leaves things very ambiguous, but trippy and thoughtful. I have so many thoughts on this it's hard to know where to begin..

I'm not going to use many spoiler tags, so read at your own risk. There's no reason to be reading anything about people's reactions unless you've seen the movie...




My biggest problem is that it ends on a seemingly cliched cliffhangar. But I don't think it's quite as cliched as it first appears (you'll just have to see the movie to see what I'm talking about: is she the clone or is she herself just with altered DNA? I think she's her real self just alterred, which is less cliched). After the film ends it feels like a lot of the dots aren't connected and that might have to do with there needing to be sequels (since the books are a trilogy). For example there are all these referrences to cancer and self-destruction, but cancer never really becomes relevant at the end. But this is definitely a film that keeps knawing away at you after you've seen it. It has breathtaking visuals and set-designs and a few truly horrific and scary moments. Ultimately I really encourage everyone who likes big sci-fi to go support this on the big screen because it's totally worth it and it's probably going to need as much support as it can get.

I can see why David Ellison wanted the film alterred because he clearly (and probably rightly) thinks there isn't going to be a huge market for it. But c'mon man, you've produced shit like Baywatch and G.I. Joe: Retaliation. The world has enough schlock like that. Let a visionary filmmaker do a film like this unimpeded. It might change depending on repeat viewings and sequels, but right now I give it...

8/10

I'm glad I went in having not seen many trailers or ads. Trailer 2 shows the entire movie. So anyway, I am probably going to be interested in the book to see if I can find out more about this story.

Robtard
Found it to be all-in-all, average or just above average. The story/idea was great; but the execution ultimately failed imo. Which is a shame.

Portman did a fairly solid role, everyone else was rather one-dimensional and just kind of there.

To your question, PL. Altered is what I took from it.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
Found it to be all-in-all, average or just above average. The story/idea was great; but the execution ultimately failed imo. Which is a shame.

Portman did a fairly solid role, everyone else was rather one-dimensional and just kind of there.

To your question, PL. Altered is what I took from it.

Yeah, I initially thought it was pretty incomprehensible, but the more I think about it it might have some good thought-provoking elements that could elevate it to a higher form of intellectual sci-fi. Ex Machina is definitely that higher form of sci-fi, but it's much easier to make sense of. I'm going to have to have some repeat viewings, though, because it is sort of difficult to make much sense of. Some might see that as a flaw, and some might see it as a strength. There's certainly some things there about man's connection to nature, how we interact with it, etc.

And you're right, the premise is super cool and I think it's because of something I haven't heard mentioned yet: this alien entity (for lack of a better word) arrived and is changing things and experimenting with seemingly no reguard for the health or wellbeing of the native life. And that's likely exactly what we would do if we landed on a new world, looking to colonize or even just explore. Hell, it's basically what happened with the colonization of the Americas with the native humans and they were of the same species!

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how it plays with repeat viewings, even though I didn't much care for where the ending left things. It's more about the journey than the destination, for sure.

Robtard
Didn't really find it incomprehensible, it's all on all straight forward for the most part imo: an alien force arrives (either intentionally or by chance) and begins to alter the planet (either intentional or not), we don't know if the force is sentient or not, so it all could be randomness. What it was doing wasn't necessarily a bad thing either, as noted in the film, it was creating more-so than destroying, really depends on the viewpoint. eg If Earth lacked higher intelligence forms, would it really matter to the flora and fauna what was happening, it was overall just a change, maybe in the end it would have been beneficial?

Yeah, I plan to watch it at least one more time at home when it's available. Do wonder if a second viewing makes it better; not that it was shit.

Blindside12
This was a great movie, 10/10

Arachnid1
This was pretty good. The bear scene and the entire lighthouse scene were both phenomenally done. Besides those two scenes everything else was average, but those were both worth the price of admission alone.

carthage

DarthPlaguis12
I'm wondering if I should see this but after reading spoilers idk if it's my thing

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
Didn't really find it incomprehensible, it's all on all straight forward for the most part imo: an alien force arrives (either intentionally or by chance) and begins to alter the planet...

Yes, the general premise is pretty obvious. I'm not talking about the plot. I'm talking about what one is meant to take away from various details. In other words: what does it all mean? It's not so easily explained in that reguard.

Patient_Leech
They nail it as always...

UtePG4Pon_M

The Lost
This movie was absolutely amazing. It's one of the best sci-fi horrors I've seen, honestly. It has a lot going for it that could easily be missed or overlooked.

I think I'm going to go watch it again lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.