Free Speech Hypocrisy Among the Left

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sable
Liberals generally believe the Constitution applies to everyone even people who are not from here or born here even people who want to come here based on "we are a country of immigrants" and any other excuse to give people our rights.

Yet Facebook and Twitter have the right to delete, ban and suspend any account that they think is a Russian troll, exhibiting hate speech(protected under the Constitution)

Twitter just admitted they deleted 200 Twitter accounts they belong to Russians.
So do foreigners only have free speech when they side with the left?

Anyone see a massive double standard here?

BackFire
Freedom of speech merely guarantees freedom from the government itself stimying speech or locking you up for saying something. Private corporations, on the other hand, have every right to remove speech that they find troubling or unacceptable that is said on their platform. You could make the argument that facebook and twitter doing this is merely them exercising their own freedom of speech.

The accounts that are being deleted are still free to say whatever they want, just not on facebook or twitter.

Robtard
Bingo. No double standard here.

iirc, everyone signs a EUL when signing up to Twitter and FB. They both have restrictions on what one can and can not post.

Look at it this way, if FB banned an ISIS recruiter promoting death to infidels, would you be yelling "freedom on speech!" in their defense?

Surtur
The Russian twitters probably didn't make them enough money. Otherwise they'd change the rules to suit them. That is how they do.

Sable
Originally posted by BackFire
Freedom of speech merely guarantees freedom from the government itself stimying speech or locking you up for saying something. Private corporations, on the other hand, have every right to remove speech that they find troubling or unacceptable that is said on their platform. You could make the argument that facebook and twitter doing this is merely them exercising their own freedom of speech.

The accounts that are being deleted are still free to say whatever they want, just not on facebook or twitter.

Dude, I've heard people say that other people can shut down another persons free speech cause it's not the government.

It's a non starter, no one has the right to tell you to shut up and expect you to listen. I can't come over to your house and tell you "shut the fck up" and expect you to listen to me.

BackFire
Originally posted by Sable
Dude, I've heard people say that other people can shut down another persons free speech cause it's not the government.

It's a non starter, no one has the right to tell you to shut up. I can't come over to your house and tell you "shut the fck up" and expect you to listen to me.

Well that's not really what's going on here. Free speech isn't being shut down, people are allowed to say whatever they want, just facebook and twitter run a private platform that they allow people to use if you follow certain rules. If someone breaks the rules or does something they don't like, they have a right to not allow them to use their platform anymore.

Sable
Well that's not really what's going on here. Free speech isn't being shut down, people are allowed to say whatever they want, just facebook and twitter run a private platform that they allow people to use if you follow certain rules. If someone breaks the rules or does something they don't like, they have a right to not allow them to use their platform anymore.

So people don't have free speech when it comes to private companies, but they do with the government, and yet somehow people literally think Trump is taking away their first amendment rights based on donuts.

BackFire
So people don't have free speech when it comes to private companies, but they do with the government, and yet somehow people literally think Trump is taking away their first amendment rights based on donuts.

They have free speech when it comes to private corporations in that they can say whatever they want about any corporation they want. But no, no one has the right to use facebook or twitter, that's something that those corporations allow. They can disallow it whenever they like.

Dunno what free speech killing donuts you're talking about.

Sable
Donuts is a term I use for any stupid excuse and or reason given

BackFire
Donuts is a term I use for any stupid excuse and or reason given

Well now I'm hungry.

Sable
Oh I know you know where the nearest krispy cream is, I bet you have uber eats deliver it too.

BackFire
I prefer Winchells.

Bashar Teg
"let businesses run themselves"

"...when feels are not hurt"

Sable
"you think you built that, you didn't build that!"

Raisen
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
"let businesses run themselves"

"...when feels are not hurt"

hey bro. how are you doing

jaden101
Where would certain politicians calling certain team owners of certain sports asking them to fire players for exercising free speech in the form of political protests fit in with the 1st ammendment and government not interfering with free speech?

Sable
Originally posted by jaden101
Where would certain politicians calling certain team owners of certain sports asking them to fire players for exercising free speech in the form of political protests fit in with the 1st ammendment and government not interfering with free speech?

Hey look buddy, this is a common sense free zone. Take that shit elsewhere.

Raisen
what's up. I get shoulder surgery and disappear and my boy t.i. doesn't remember me.

Robtard

Lolz. /killed it

Silent Master
Where would certain politicians calling certain team owners of certain sports asking them to fire players for exercising free speech in the form of political protests fit in with the 1st amendment and government not interfering with free speech?

As they're not forcing the owners to fire the protesters, they are just exercising their free speech.

BTW. No, I don't think the players should be fired.

jaden101
Originally posted by Silent Master
As they're not forcing the owners to fire the protesters, they are just exercising their free speech.

BTW. No, I don't think the players should be fired.

Should politicians be putting pressure on teams to do so?

Silent Master

What pressure?

jaden101
What pressure?

What I already said. Calling team owners and asking them to fire players.

Silent Master
What I already said. Calling team owners and asking them to fire players.

All the owners have to do is say "no".

jaden101
All the owners have to do is say "no".

That's not what I'm asking though.

Robtard
Don't get caught in the time-waster-troll trap

Bide, lit me pit it in words ye can understand: "Dornt gie caught in th' time-waster-troll trap."

cdtm

Don't they always?

And no. Politicians should absolutely not pressure businesses to act in a way they normally wouldn't if not for political pressure. (It also is fair to ask, what kind of pressure is Trump really bringing, outside of angry tweets..)

Eternal Idol
I prefer Winchells.

Winchell's > Krispy Kreme and Dunkin' Donuts

God damn, I miss L.A. sad

Silent Master
That's not what I'm asking though.

Saying I think you should fire these people is not putting pressure on the owners. Putting pressure on them would be saying "either fire these people or I'll do______".

Sable
Originally posted by Robtard
Don't get caught in the time-waster-troll trap

Bide, lit me pit it in words ye can understand: "Dornt gie caught in th' time-waster-troll trap."

Rob its pretty unfair you keep calling SM a troll, when he's one of the the top debaters in the MVF and you two always got along before politics was involved. Quan comes in here and trolls the fck out of Surtur and you don't say anything about it.

quanchi112
Oh the irony. Now I'm officially involved. Let's continue this then. I'm definitely game.

cdtm
laughing Sable knows not what she's done..

Steve Zodiac

/end thread

dadudemon

thumb up

Yup, that's how free speech works in the US.

Anytime someone is being "oppressed" and they yell "Freedom of Speech!", it's almost never correct to claim that their freedom of speech is being oppressed.

There is a term for the type where people think they should be able to say whatever they want in any setting. It's not *sshole...I think the label was called "unlimited speech"? Basically, they want to be able to even say things at work and not have to be worried about being terminated. Our constitution, as you pointed out, protects political speech, not unlimited speech.

You can be naked if you are protesting the government. You can't be naked to be naked. For example. This one went to the Supreme Court.

cdtm
Pretty much. Free expression on your own time, on the job or someone elses forum you conform to the rules or take a hike.

Can't yell "fire" for the lulz. And lets not forget about "fighting words", which I'm certain is something the lawyers and courts made up on the spot to protect a sherrif who was being insulted and beat a guy down over it. Yeah, I'm sure a private citizen would have enjoyed the same defense roll eyes (sarcastic)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.