Welfare: How do we fix it

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raisen
https://journalistsresource.org/studies/economics/inequality/food-stamps-gender-obesity

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2015/cb15-97.html

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/12/the-politics-and-demographics-of-food-stamp-recipients/

"The share of food stamp beneficiaries swells even further when respondents are asked if someone else living in their household had ever received food stamps. According to the survey, about three in ten Democrats (31%) and about half as many Republicans (17%) say they or someone in their household has benefitted from the food stamp program."

"Minority women in particular are far more likely than their male counterparts to have used food stamps. About four-in-ten black women (39%) have gotten help compared with 21% of black men. The gender-race participation gap is also wide among Hispanics: 31% of Hispanic women but 14% of Hispanic men received assistance.

Among whites, the gender-race gap is smaller. Still, white women are about twice as likely as white men to receive food stamp assistance (19% vs. 11%)."

"THIS IS UNSUSTAINABLE

Raisen
https://womenslawproject.wordpress.com/2010/11/02/debunking-the-myth-of-the-%E2%80%9Cwelfare-queen%E2%80%9D-who-actually-receives-tanf-benefits/

Now look at the blatant lying in this article. Read the comments.

Robtard
First thing to do is to separate out the people who legit need government assistance and the ones who are leeches; ones who could work, but prefer to take advantage of a poorly regulated system.

And I'm not just talking about food stamps, but workers compensation and disability leeches, those people are the worst.

Surtur
Originally posted by Robtard
First thing to do is to separate out the people who legit need government assistance and the ones who are leeches; ones who could work, but prefer to take advantage of a poorly regulated system.

And I'm not just talking about food stamps, but workers compensation and disability leeches, those people are the worst.

I agree with Rob leeches can't be tolerated. And since it seems there are more liberals than conservatives getting these benefits, I'm guessing some need them because they just need to protest all the time. Not everyone gets paid by George Soros to do so. Black masks and knives and tasers do not just pay for themselves you know.

So great point Rob, valid. Those people are just awful.

Raisen

did you read the articles? work comp is a problem but let's be honest about where the vast majority of leeching is taking place. it's only a recent phenomena that the poorest are also the most obese...further taxing the system because the medical issues with obesity.

Raisen
I'd appreciate if people read the entirety of all the articles. They aren't long.

We need to address these problems as a country.

Raisen
https://cis.org/Report/Welfare-Use-Legal-and-Illegal-Immigrant-Households

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Surtur
I agree with Rob leeches can't be tolerated. And since it seems there are more liberals than conservatives getting these benefits, I'm guessing some need them because they just need to protest all the time. Not everyone gets paid by George Soros to do so. Black masks and knives and tasers do not just pay for themselves you know.

So great point Rob, valid. Those people are just awful.
Could we please not bring in impugning the integrity of the other side into every thread before it becomes relevant?

Robtard
Oh Surtur...

Surtur
Oh Surtur...

It's okay Rob, we finally agree on something.

Raisen
let's stay on track please

Surtur
Originally posted by Raisen
I'd appreciate if people read the entirety of all the articles. They aren't long.

We need to address these problems as a country.

I have an idea of one way at least some money can be saved. If you are already someone who needs welfare you cannot give birth to any children while on welfare. Obviously we can't physically stop this, but we can make it so there would not be an increase in money because the person decided to have a child. I think this is a valid concern considering more women than men seem to get these things.

Raisen
I have an idea of one way at least some money can be saved. If you are already someone who needs welfare you cannot give birth to any children while on welfare. Obviously we can't physically stop this, but we can make it so there would not be an increase in money because the person decided to have a child. I think this is a valid concern considering more women than men seem to get these things.

absolutely agree.

Robtard
did you read the articles? work comp is a problem but let's be honest about where the vast majority of leeching is taking place. it's only a recent phenomena that the poorest are also the most obese...further taxing the system because the medical issues with obesity.

Not sure what you want to do about obesity. Being fat made illegal?

I'm all for health awareness and better eating being pushed to the front. eg schools in my area did away with junk food in snacks machines and school lunches are actually low sugar and overall healthy, ingraining the "eat healthy" early on. But you get certain people crying "muh freedoms! tyranny!" cos the school banned the Coca-Cola and Frito-Lay corporations

Robtard
It's okay Rob, we finally agree on something.

No, what happened is you embarrassed yourself again but crying about your dreaded "it's them liberals!" again. Everyone saw it and it was noted. Do better for yourself. Moving on.

Raisen

I'm all for health awareness and better eating tips. eg schools in my area did away with junk food in snacks machines and school lunches are actually low sugar and overall healthy, ingraining the "eat healthy" early on. But you get certain people crying "muh freedoms! tyranny!" cos the school banned the Coca-Cola and Frito-Lay corporations

the idea that our "poor", that tax payers pay for, are living such a life that they can actually get to the level of being obese and further become a financial burden.

I understand that in this day and age calorically dense food is cheaper than healthier food that is more perishable. However, this is also indicative that they are receiving more than sustainable amounts of benefits.

Surtur
No, what happened is you embarrassed yourself again but crying about your dreaded "it's them liberals!" again. Everyone saw it and it was noted. Do better for yourself. Moving on.

No Rob, we agree. Leeches are bad. Moving on.

Surtur
the idea that our "poor", that tax payers pay for, are living such a life that they can actually get to the level of being obese and further become a financial burden.

I understand that in this day and age calorically dense food is cheaper than healthier food that is more perishable. However, this is also indicative that they are receiving more than sustainable amounts of benefits.

Well they implemented a "soda tax" here. Supposed to be aimed at sugary drinks, even though it also taxes stuff without sugar lol. But most people I know just drive to another county to get soda now. Retailers in this county lost business, but people haven't really been consuming less soda.

Raisen
can you two not let your idiotic rivalry ruin a legit discussion.

Robtard

Like I said, crunch down and separate the people into two groups A) People that legit need assistance and B) The leeches who abuse the system (they know who they are), this should be the first stage.

That right there will safe millions, maybe billions. Then you look at the people who need assistance and you see if there's ways where they can get off and do for themselves, if possible.

Also not 100% sure you "They're fat, so they have too much" is correct, at least not in today's junk food era. You can get 5,000 calories of mostly sugar based foods for very cheap. Making a person overweight and cheaply.

Raisen
Like I said, crunch down and separate the people into two groups A) People that legit need assistance and B) The leeches who abuse the system (they know who they are), this should be the first stage.

That right there will safe millions, maybe billions. Then you look at the people who need assistance and you see if there's ways where they can get off and do for themselves, if possible.

Also not 100% sure you "They're fat, so they have too much" is correct, at least not in today's junk food era. You can get 5,000 calories of mostly sugar based foods for very cheap. Making a person overweight and cheaply.

then simply eat less of the cheap food. calories in and calories out.

Sable
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Could we please not bring in impugning the integrity of the other side into every thread before it becomes relevant?

Surtur said this because Rob was mocking him in a round about way because Surtur admitted he's on disability a while back. So you are taking the wrong side. He was impugning Surturs character, not the other way around.

Surtur
Also when it comes to the healthy lunches thing I thought the argument was a lot of kids just weren't eating the healthy stuff being provided?

Raisen
it's concerning that 1/3 of democrats received assistance. this will eventually create a welfare state because people vote in their own interest. There is only one end: collapse

Robtard
Originally posted by Sable
Surtur said this because Rob was mocking him in a round about way because Surtur admitted he's on disability a while back. So you are taking the wrong side. He was impugning Surturs character, not the other way around.

Incorrect. I've been against welfare leeches long before I met Surtur on KMC

ArtificialGlory
xtpgkX588nM

Sable
Incorrect. I've been against welfare leeches long before I met Surtur on KMC

Yes but your intention of that post was not mutually exclusive. Your post was obviously aimed at him being on disability. Stop being coy and at least apologize.

Raisen
http://www.statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics/

Look at this graph. 8 states pay more in welfare than the average school teacher makes.

Surtur
Disturbing.

Raisen
I'm not a Republican. I'm definitely not a Democrat.

This is the politics of poverty. The threshold has progressively gotten higher and higher. We are nearly at a point where the majority of voters will be on social aid. This will undoubtedly create a political system where both parties must pander to the unemployed and welfare moochers...there will be no difference between the two.

Why don't people see this? We are mooching our way into a dictatorship.

I was in Kuwait for about seven months. I got to know a retired Colonel that was in the first Iraq war. He had a servant from Bangladesh that would make us tea and feed us properly. The colonel enjoyed falconry.

He told me that the trick to having a loyal bird was to always keep them a little hungry.
You feed them too much and they fly away and may never return.

Food for thought

snowdragon

Dried beans, lentils, rice, oats, eggs provide lean protein and fiber as well as being very inexpensive.

Alot of times when we see obese people on welfare its not just bad food choices its time constraints and a culture surrounding that lifestyle.

So then I suppose we could ask ourselves: How can more people earn livable wages so that they no longer qualify for welfare?

Raisen
Originally posted by snowdragon
Dried beans, lentils, rice, oats, eggs provide lean protein and fiber as well as being very inexpensive.

Alot of times when we see obese people on welfare its not just bad food choices its time constraints and a culture surrounding that lifestyle.

So then I suppose we could ask ourselves: How can more people earn livable wages so that they no longer qualify for welfare?

well, we're animals. we choose to be "high and mighty" and support those that say phuck it and use other people's money to eat KFC or Chipotle for every meal. Then we create an environment where criticism makes you some kind ist.

We are creating an environment that enables this kind of behavior to spread...which it has.

In nature if you can't pull your weight you generally don't eat. Harsh, but at some point it is necessary.

snowdragon
We are creating an environment that enables this kind of behavior to spread...which it has.

Who is this We?

It seems to me that "they" are creating this enviroment and we should define who "they" are and then we can look for a more concise, clear answer.

Are "they"

Welfare recipients? Democratic politicians? Republican politicians? Single parents? Black? White? Pink? Urban or Rural?

How much time do welfare recipients spend using social media, what groups are popular with them, how do they spend their free time.........

Raisen
Originally posted by snowdragon
Who is this We?

It seems to me that "they" are creating this enviroment and we should define who "they" are and then we can look for a more concise, clear answer.

Are "they"

Welfare recipients? Democratic politicians? Republican politicians? Single parents? Black? White? Pink? Urban or Rural?

How much time do welfare recipients spend using social media, what groups are popular with them, how do they spend their free time.........

Well, the voters are the we. I see what you mean tho..

socool8520
Stop paying them more for more children.

Get them to do any unskilled labor we would have had to pay someone else for. Work for your aid so to speak barring any legit physical/mental ailments that keep you from doing so.

Get them to learn a trade. I have read that there is a huge shortage of skilled labor workers these days so they could be trained to fill these spots. I would rather pay more upfront for people to be more productive in society/be able to support themselves rather than pay a lot in the long run as welfare recipients make it a lifestyle.

Surtur
Originally posted by socool8520
Stop paying them more for more children.

Bingo, we do not need shit like this:

RBqjZ0KZCa0

"Somebody needs to be held accountable" but I'm guessing not her for popping out 15 kids despite knowing she can't afford to care for them.

*smh*

RHaggis
The solution is simple: abolition.

Rockydonovang

I'm all for health awareness and better eating being pushed to the front. eg schools in my area did away with junk food in snacks machines and school lunches are actually low sugar and overall healthy, ingraining the "eat healthy" early on. But you get certain people crying "muh freedoms! tyranny!" cos the school banned the Coca-Cola and Frito-Lay corporations
If you want healthier eating, you need regulation, both in schools and on companies.

Rockydonovang

I've heard that many people find their wages to be lower than what they get for food stamps.

socool8520
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
I've heard that many people find their wages to be lower than what they get for food stamps.

I think that is the problem Rob pointed on in the quote you referenced.

You should not be making more with welfare than you would at a job. You should only be receiving enough aid to merely survive, not to live comfortably.

Surtur
If you want healthier eating, you need regulation, both in schools and on companies.

So if people don't want to eat healthy...? What would you do? Make them? And yes, if you tried to take away all food choice but healthy food that is indeed making them.

What else would you like to force people to do? Is there a list or is it just with this one thing?

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by socool8520
I think that is the problem Rob pointed on in the quote you referenced.

You should not be making more with welfare than you would at a job. You should only be receiving enough aid to merely survive, not to live comfortably.
I don't think people with welfare are capable of "living comfortably".

I think the problem is wages are too low. Having a job should earn you sufficient money to live more "comfortably" than those receiving handouts.

socool8520
I don't think people with welfare are capable of "living comfortably".

I think the problem is wages are too low. Having a job should earn you sufficient money to live more "comfortably" than those receiving handouts.

If you say so. They can have access to low income housing, food which is separate funding, and healthcare benefits. Imo, give them a shelter to be grouped in and some food, water, clothing.

Depends on the job. I'm not paying you a higher than needed salary for a mediocre job. That $15 to be cashier idea is stupid. If you want more money, get a better job.

If you lower what you give in welfare benefits, you won't make more than a real job. That's my point.

Rockydonovang
So if people don't want to eat healthy...? What would you do? Make them?

You educate kids in school on nutrition, offer them healthier food choices, don't put vending machinces with unhealthy food ins chool, and superwise what kids eat. You regulate what fast food companies are allowed to put in their food, force them to put health warnings in the front of their resturants, and make sure nutrition info is in a place where everyone will see it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.