Pit Bulls...America's most hated dog

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raisen
I've have pits off and on my entire life. I've also had two labs, dachshund, basset hound, golden retriever, staffie, boxer, and a chihuhua.

Who's had a pit and what do you think?

Who likes/doesn't like them and why?

What are your perceptions of the character of the breed?

I know A LOT about dog breeds. I have some connections with professional breeders and trainers alike. I'm interested in what people think.

Flyattractor
These dogs are not for the pits.

Raisen
Originally posted by Flyattractor
These dogs are not for the pits.

huh?

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Raisen
huh?

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/931/024/234.jpg

Raisen
it's just not really funny tho.

no offense but all your humor is severly outdated.

Flyattractor
I prefer to think of it as VINTAGE!

And Pits make Ok Dog, just as long as thier stupid owners remember these are Powerful dogs.

Raisen
I prefer to think of it as VINTAGE!

And Pits make Ok Dog, just as long as thier stupid owners remember these are Powerful dogs.

they're some of the best hog dogs.

Flyattractor
Depends on the buns.

Raisen
Depends on the buns.

oh man. this corniness is too much bro.

Flyattractor
Do you need a scarecrow?

BackFire
The stigma pitbulls have is very unfair and sad. All the pitbulls I've ever met were sweet loving dogs no more aggressive than any other. It just comes down to training and the home they come from.

Most of the time, don't blame the dog, blame the owner.

Flyattractor
True'er word have never been spoken....and by a Mod No Less!?

Raisen
Originally posted by BackFire
The stigma pitbulls have is very unfair and sad. All the pitbulls I've ever met were sweet loving dogs no more aggressive than any other. It just comes down to training and the home they come from.

Most of the time, don't blame the dog, blame the owner.

now we have bsl where neighbors snitch people out for having pit bull looking dogs. it's sad. pit bulls are victims or inner city ghetto breeding

BackFire
They are victims. The stigma pushes many of them into a vicious cycle where families do not want them, so they have trouble finding good homes, and so they end up being taken by assholes running dog fighting rings.

Put a pitbull in a good home early on and he'll be as kind and sweet as any other dog.

Raisen
They are victims. The stigma pushes many of them into a vicious cycle where families do not want them, so they have trouble finding good homes, and so they end up being taken by assholes running dog fighting rings.

Put a pitbull in a good home early on and he'll be as kind and sweet as any other dog.

exactly. like my boys. as I described earlier I've had lots of breeds. i'm a dog person. pits are very good family dogs if given the proper home. I don't crop their ears or dock their tails. I keep them natural. just awesome dogs all around. so are labs. I've had the most problems with boxers...they are great dogs but the energy is too much

Raisen
Rusty and Biscuit. Rusty is the 100lb+orange pit and biscuit is the 70lb+ tri color

on my recining couch

Raisen
Biscuit after a wash

Flyattractor
Rusty and Biscuit. Rusty is the 100lb+orange pit and biscuit is the 70lb+ tri color

on my recining couch

Awww those faces... they just say..."once he falls asleep, we steal his car"

Raisen
Awww those faces... they just say..."once he falls asleep, we steal his car"

those are my boys but the smartest dog I ever had was Bear, the 105 lb yellow lab. labs are just too easy. pits are good but they are very jealous sometimes and they are hard headed

Flyattractor
Yep. Had a few Lab in the day. Fun dog. Almost picked up a Rescue Mutt at a garage sale on sat-day but someone else got to him first.

Raisen
Yep. Had a few Lab in the day. Fun dog. Almost picked up a Rescue Mutt at a garage sale on sat-day but someone else got to him first.

in my experience labs are the best overall. I've had a male and a female. just great dogs for family, hunting, and sport. but the pits I've had are very attached. all of them don't want to leave my side. i'm remembering the ones I had now: chico, face, peaches, mia, rusty, and biscuit.

dogs are something special

Flyattractor
I tend to prefer The Bee-ithces mainly because they are lest...FIESTY.....

Raisen
I tend to prefer The Bee-ithces mainly because they are lest...FIESTY.....

the females are similar. they are easier because you can have many females together at once. many male pits..not so much...lots of fighting. smelling salt doesn't even work on them. too much drama unless you use them for hunting

Flyattractor
They gotta get it out of their system.

Raisen
They gotta get it out of their system.

yes. high prey drive dogs need work. a lot of people don't understand this. every few weeks I raw feed my dogs. a few lbs of hamburger or animal parts and they are good to go.

Flyattractor
They Gotta Let the WOLF OUT!

Raisen
They Gotta Let the WOLF OUT!

we're all animals. we can learn a lot from the simplicity of these beasts.

what animals do you have?

Flyattractor
I have had dogs, cat ,fish, birds and varmints. No pets right now though.. Had 3 dogs that all got old and died about the same time.

No more pets for awhile.

Raisen
I have had dogs, cat ,fish, birds and varmints. No pets right now though.. Had 3 dogs that all got old and died about the same time.

No more pets for awhile.

life is better with dogs. you know it. I've got buddies that breed English bulldogs, French bull dogs, pit bulls, chocolate labs, standard schnauzers, pugs. if you want one then let me know. they are all good and papered breeders.

Flyattractor
I moved into town and I prefer to have dogs while living in teh country. Out there they got room to run and dog around, and don't turn into Yappy City Dogs. Sides. Plenty of dogs at the local shelters that need love. MUTTS NEED LOVE TOO!

Raisen
I moved into town and I prefer to have dogs while living in teh country. Out there they got room to run and dog around, and don't turn into Yappy City Dogs. Sides. Plenty of dogs at the local shelters that need love. MUTTS NEED LOVE TOO!

mutts are the best. I volunteer in the city for the aspca. good animals there. my dogs have 8000 sq ft to run around and their walks. city dogs aren't so bad unless you're living in manhattan or something

Flyattractor
I have 80 acres with no fences. Plenty of run around room out there. not in the Shitty tho. And City dogs can be fine....when thier SHIT HEAD OWNERS ACTUALLY PAY ATTENTION TO THEM! Unlike most of the A-holes in my hood.

Raisen
I have 80 acres with no fences. Plenty of run around room out there. not in the Shitty tho. And City dogs can be fine....when thier SHIT HEAD OWNERS ACTUALLY PAY ATTENTION TO THEM! Unlike most of the A-holes in my hood.

80 acres means you need shock collars. city people tend to have shiit dogs that don't know how to act. i'm not even a country guy but this is the truth.
people are scared of shock and prong collars. they just don't understand they are a temporary way of civilizing dogs.

Flyattractor
Round here we go by if My dog bites you. You shoul have stayed on your OWN PROPERTY!!!!!!

Raisen
Round here we go by if My dog bites you. You shoul have stayed on your OWN PROPERTY!!!!!!

I get that for guard dogs but not all dogs. shock fences are a hell of a thing. my good friends pit got kicked in the head by a horse. the dog shouldn't have been on the property but that horse split the dog's head in half. dog was a pit so his tail was still wagging as he was bleeding his brain out. pits are ridiculous

Flyattractor
We pefer to work as a team. My dogs bark at it. I shoot at it.

Hence they STAY OFF MY PROPERTY Motif. God I love the country.

Raisen
We pefer to work as a team. My dogs bark at it. I shoot at it.

Hence they STAY OFF MY PROPERTY Motif. God I love the country.

then you need some more dogs. probably some labs

Flyattractor
That is at my Country Estate, that I only visit now. I don't live at it so no dogs. Doing the City Boy thing now.

quanchi112
Good dogs. People are ridiculous.

Flyattractor
Woof Woof

Kurk
Don't know too much about dogs. But if they're deemed to be more violent, it's due to genetic sequences being activated by environmental events.

Flyattractor
aka Shit Head Owners and AHole Neighbors.

That is correct.

Adam_PoE

Part of the stigma is that Pits are mongrels, which makes them more common among the poor. Poor households are more likely to be unstable and violent, which leads to unstable and violent dogs.

Flyattractor
That and their is the Elitist Mentality to put a negative spin on thing about those that they feel are BELOW them....a point that Adam pretty much just made.

Surtur
I don't mind them. I have a cottage in Indiana and down the street lives a family friend who had a pit bull for a long time. So I was around it a lot and it never gave me any issues.

Flyattractor
People should only be allowed to have Purse Puppies.

Raisen
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Part of the stigma is that Pits are mongrels, which makes them more common among the poor. Poor households are more likely to be unstable and violent, which leads to unstable and violent dogs.

it's the ghetto people ruining these dogs. they were originally culled when shown human aggression. it wasn't supposed to be in their dna.
thanks to hoodrats seeing their potential and breeding human aggression into the dogs we are now seeing some totally different creatures than they were originally intended to be.

TheVaultDweller
Pit Bulls suffer from a lot of the same unwarranted stigma Rottweilers do. Fact is that both those breeds are strong, loyal, intelligent and alert. Which makes them great guard/security dogs. So, then a lot of ignorant people assume they are used in those roles because they are inherently vicious monsters. But when you talk to people who actually own these dogs, they tell you the real story. And I can speak from experience myself. Not about Pit Bulls per se, but I've been around Rottweilers since I was born, and currently own two of them. They're giant babies who think they're lapdogs. But, like Pitt Bulls, they get a very bad rep. And mostly from people who have never even owned one.

Raisen
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Pit Bulls suffer from a lot of the same unwarranted stigma Rottweilers do. Fact is that both those breeds are strong, loyal, intelligent and alert. Which makes them great guard/security dogs. So, then a lot of ignorant people assume they are used in those roles because they are inherently vicious monsters. But when you talk to people who actually own these dogs, they tell you the real story. And I can speak from experience myself. Not about Pit Bulls per se, but I've been around Rottweilers since I was born, and currently own two of them. They're giant babies who think they're lapdogs. But, like Pitt Bulls, they get a very bad rep. And mostly from people who have never even owned one.

rotts are great too. powerful square headed dogs tend to get lumped into the fear zone. they look like walking sharks.

rotts were the devil in the media during the 80's like pits are now. you can do the research and see how different breeds were demonized in the news during different times. Dobermans had their era in 90's were everyone was scared of them.

even home insurance companies don't want to insure you if you have a Doberman, Rottweiler, akita, chow, or pit

Afro Cheese
it's the ghetto people ruining these dogs. they were originally culled when shown human aggression. it wasn't supposed to be in their dna.
thanks to hoodrats seeing their potential and breeding human aggression into the dogs we are now seeing some totally different creatures than they were originally intended to be. you sure about that? seems like dog aggression to me, and they seem pretty much designed to **** shit up.

MfCYbT9n5u4

Raisen
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
you sure about that? seems like dog aggression to me, and they seem pretty much designed to **** shit up.

MfCYbT9n5u4

lol tho.
but yeah, they are built solidly. pound for pound one of the most capable dogs. it's how you train them and use them

TheVaultDweller
rotts are great too. powerful square headed dogs tend to get lumped into the fear zone. they look like walking sharks.

rotts were the devil in the media during the 80's like pits are now. you can do the research and see how different breeds were demonized in the news during different times. Dobermans had their era in 90's were everyone was scared of them.

even home insurance companies don't want to insure you if you have a Doberman, Rottweiler, akita, chow, or pit

Yeah, I've had people try and call my dogs mini-grizzly bears, and shit like that, in order to exaggerate the intimidation factor of their appearance.

But the sad thing is that a lot of it is down to ignorance. I have lost count of the amount of people who were terrified to come onto my property, because of the supposed big, bad Rottweilers prowling around (and to be fair, one is about about 110lbs, and the other is about 130lbs). Yet, by the time they leave, they're playing with the dogs, scratching the dogs' ears etc. So, once they have personal interaction with the animals, they realise that their preconceived notions might not be all that accurate. But a lot of people refuse to even open themselves up to the possibility. They saw some show or read some article that said the dogs were bad, so that's going to be their mindset.

TheVaultDweller
it's how you train them and use them

And this is also the thing. You can raise a friggin' chihuahua to be aggressive if you really wanted. Granted, it would be a pretty useless effort, all things considered, but it is doable. A big factor to a dog's temperament is that of the owner, and how they train/raise the dog. Any dog can be raised to be vicious, and any dog can be raised to be docile.

Raisen
Yeah, I've had people try and call my dogs mini-grizzly bears, and shit like that, in order to exaggerate the intimidation factor of their appearance.

But the sad thing is that a lot of it is down to ignorance. I have lost count of the amount of people who were terrified to come onto my property, because of the supposed big, bad Rottweilers prowling around (and to be fair, one is about about 110lbs, and the other is about 130lbs). Yet, by the time they leave, they're playing with the dogs, scratching the dogs' ears etc. So, once they have personal interaction with the animals, they realise that their preconceived notions might not be all that accurate. But a lot of people refuse to even open themselves up to the possibility. They saw some show or read some article that said the dogs were bad, so that's going to be their mindset.

oh, I know. there are multiple websites devoted to demonizing certain dog breeds. Big websites with articles that have hundreds upon hundreds of comments.
it's a wonder why this would be someone's 'cause"

Raisen
And this is also the thing. You can raise a friggin' chihuahua to be aggressive if you really wanted. Granted, it would be a pretty useless effort, all things considered, but it is doable. A big factor to a dog's temperament is that of the owner, and how they train/raise the dog. Any dog can be raised to be vicious, and any dog can be raised to be docile.

still, i'd be cautious about pound pits. lots of them were raised wrong and thrown to the streets.

there will be a new bad breed in the next 10 years or so. wondering what it will be

Afro Cheese
lol tho.
but yeah, they are built solidly. pound for pound one of the most capable dogs. it's how you train them and use them from what I am reading they are naturally prone to aggression towards other dogs

not necessarily towards humans though

TheVaultDweller
oh, I know. there are multiple websites devoted to demonizing certain dog breeds. Big websites with articles that have hundreds upon hundreds of comments.
it's a wonder why this would be someone's 'cause"

Funny thing is it is so easy to prove how full of shit a lot of those companies and websites are. For example, go on youtube and actually search some vids about Pit Bulls and Rotts, and then see what actual owners say, either in the videos, or in the comments section. People who actually have had large amounts of interaction with these dogs, and who debunk all the nightmare narratives certain websites try to push. And that says it all, really. The best source of evidence are the people with the actual XP, and the people with the XP paint a very different picture to the demonising websites.

TheVaultDweller
still, i'd be cautious about pound pits. lots of them were raised wrong and thrown to the streets.

there will be a new bad breed in the next 10 years or so. wondering what it will be

Yeah, but that's what I mean. They were either in the pound or on the streets, which means they have likely suffered some form of trauma or abuse already. I mean more like if you get a 6-week-old Pitt from a breeder, and raise them from that age yourself. Depending on what you do, that dog's temperament can vary wildly.

Raisen
you sure about that? seems like dog aggression to me, and they seem pretty much designed to **** shit up.

MfCYbT9n5u4

I always liked dmx. but dude. I just checked his wiki. guy was arrested multiple times over the span of a decade for animal abuse.

god phucking damn it. ghetto a## shiit

Raisen
from what I am reading they are naturally prone to aggression towards other dogs

not necessarily towards humans though

that can be true. the males can be very dominant dogs with other males. if one male refuses to submit then there is likely to be problems.

this isn't uncommon with any dog tho

Raisen
Funny thing is it is so easy to prove how full of shit a lot of those companies and websites are. For example, go on youtube and actually search some vids about Pit Bulls and Rotts, and then see what actual owners say, either in the videos, or in the comments section. People who actually have had large amounts of interaction with these dogs, and who debunk all the nightmare narratives certain websites try to push. And that says it all, really. The best source of evidence are the people with the actual XP, and the people with the XP paint a very different picture to the demonising websites.

and you can earn a reputation of being ghetto just by having pits or rots. it's silly.

rotts used to be the primary dogs used in fighting rings also.

dog fighting is so damn ghetto. I hate it

TheVaultDweller
There is one scenario where I can see concern being warranted, but it isn't down to any bad temperament or anything. And that's big dogs around small children. Because, for example, my one dog has this habit of kind of head-butting you to show affection. As in she will walk up to you and push against your hip or whatever with her head, as a sign of affection and that she wants attention from you. Except, as mentioned, she is roughly 130lbs, and extremely strong. And she can be very oblivious to her size and strength (she's shown herself as being capable of moving multiple times her own body weight on more than one occasion). So, if she does that in order to get attention from like a 5-year-old or something, accidents could happen. It hasn't yet, but I always try and keep an eye out if she's around children.

Kurk

even home insurance companies don't want to insure you if you have a Doberman, Rottweiler, akita, chow, or pit Yep. Family Rott passed a couple years ago. Loyal and a big baby.

MythLord
Any dog can be a good dog assuming it's got all its shots and the owner is good and capable.

Adam_PoE

That is because those breeds are responsible for most home insurance claims for dog attacks. All the anecdotes in the world about how safe these breeds are do not invalidate those numbers. And this is coming from someone who has a German Shepherd, which is the third most dangerous dog on the list.

Robtard
I know how they're raised is 95%+ of how the dogs act, but there's also breeding, theses dogs where bred for strength and aggression; so it's always there. Of course the argument "well, any dog can attack" and that's 100% true, but Pits can do more damage than another dog their size due to the breeding traits.

I'm perfectly fine around them myself, but I do get on edge when one is around my children or my dog, due to the stigma.

There's also the unfortunate side affect that they tend to attract douchebag dog owners who specifically want a Pit because they're known for aggression, instead of the gentle loyal loving side

Raisen
there's a lot of dog racism on this thread. even have a gay guy committing dog racism. what a world we live in.

for shame. for shame

TheVaultDweller
Those attack statistics give a warped image of the situation, because people are more likely to report attacks from larger dogs, as opposed to smaller breeds that can cause less harm. Who is going to bother reporting it if a stranger's friggin' miniature sausage dog bites their ankle (which has happened to me before)? I know I didn't. Fact of the matter is, I have been around various breeds of dogs my entire life (though mainly owned Rottweilers), and the ones that are the most aggressive 99% of the time are the small dogs.

NemeBro
there's a lot of dog racism on this thread. even have a gay guy committing dog racism. what a world we live in.

for shame. for shame You're being a real pitnigger right now.

NemeBro
Those attack statistics give a warped image of the situation, because people are more likely to report attacks from larger dogs, as opposed to smaller breeds that can cause less harm. Who is going to bother reporting it if a stranger's friggin' miniature sausage dog bites their ankle (which has happened to me before)? I know I didn't. Fact of the matter is, I have been around various breeds of dogs my entire life (though mainly owned Rottweilers), and the ones that are the most aggressive 99% of the time are the small dogs. This doesn't really add much of anything to the discussion my friend.

Sure, maybe small dogs are more aggressive than even pits or rotts. So what? Even if true, they are not nearly as dangerous as the larger but still aggressive dogs. People don't report smaller dog attacks because there's nothing going on that really warrants action. A small dog is not a danger to anything larger than a toddler, likely not even a child (and I'd imagine that most of the reports on small dogs are because they attacked a babby).

There's no stigma because there's no threat. There's a stigma against pits and rotts because there can be a significant threat.

I don't have a problem with either though. My grandfather's rott Bear was a total sweetheart, and my pit from when I was younger Tater was one of the most affectionate dogs I've ever seen. A pit or rott can be perfectly good dogs if raised properly, but they do take an owner who knows how to do this.

Sacred Fire
Originally posted by NemeBro
You're being a real pitnigger right now.

laughing

I don't have a problem with either though. My grandfather's rott Bear was a total sweetheart, and my pit from when I was younger Tater was one of the most affectionate dogs I've ever seen. A pit or rott can be perfectly good dogs if raised properly, but they do take an owner who knows how to do this.

thumb up

I've had similar experience, and our pit was actually stolen/rescued from dog fighters. She had scars, musculature, etc to suggest such a history, and despite being brought up in that, she was one of the sweetest, friendliest, and even most sensitive animals we were ever fortunate enough to have. You would seldom (if ever) see her without a smile on her face, and she was always happy to greet you with it.

TheVaultDweller
This doesn't really add much of anything to the discussion my friend.

Sure, maybe small dogs are more aggressive than even pits or rotts. So what? Even if true, they are not nearly as dangerous as the larger but still aggressive dogs. People don't report smaller dog attacks because there's nothing going on that really warrants action. A small dog is not a danger to anything larger than a toddler, likely not even a child (and I'd imagine that most of the reports on small dogs are because they attacked a babby).

There's no stigma because there's no threat. There's a stigma against pits and rotts because there can be a significant threat.

I am not denying that they can be dangerous. Obviously they can. But my point is more that it's a physiological thing. Not an inherent temperament. Because I don't have any issues with someone being cautious around bigger dogs due to their size and power. As I said earlier myself, I keep an eye on my dogs when they are around small children, purely because of how strong they are, and because they could hurt someone even by accident. I just have an issue with some people assuming certain dogs will be more aggressive purely because they are larger. Because there are people who actually push narratives along those lines.

Your final sentence actually sums up my own view perfectly.

Adam_PoE

for shame. for shame

I am from a military family on both sides. We have only ever had purebred, male German Shepherds, because they are military and police dogs. I have had four in my lifetime, each named in successive military rank, and highly-trained. Shepherds are my preferred breed. They are also the third most dangerous breed of dog by the numbers, my anecdotes about their temperament as family dogs notwithstanding. Anecdotes are not evidence, and facts do not care about feels.

Flyattractor
My personal opinion is that no Small Child should be left unsupervised with any sized dog. Mainly because even if the Dog doesn't mean to harm the child does not mean the child will not get hurt by the dog. Mainly because Dogs have a tendency to play rough. That and I think that the child is more the reason the dog will hurt it because the Child could do something stupid and set the dog off. Cause Kids are brats.

TheVaultDweller
I will say one thing. People have a much harder time being intimidated by my dogs after they have seen them in what I like to refer to as "full-on marshmallow mode".

https://i.imgur.com/K8Nxhpi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0aDy6hs.jpg

Though, to give you some idea of size, those tiles on the floor are all 12 inch by 12 inch.

TheVaultDweller
But my point is more that it's a physiological thing.

Oh, and here I meant to say a physical thing. I had a brainfart and wrote physiological for some bizarre reason, and only noticed now on re-reading the sentence.

Raisen
the bite statistics are skewed because there are approx. 5 million pits or so in the United States due to ghetto people over breeding. Per capita pits rate pretty low for bite percentage.

However...it is true that pits are the type of dog that can do a lot of damage.

Chihuhuas have the highest per capita bite rate. Chows are high also

Raisen
You're being a real pitnigger right now.

laughing out loud

you're right, but it was facetious

Raisen
This doesn't really add much of anything to the discussion my friend.

this is true. there's also stupid stories that get blamed on dogs also. like the baby who got his toes bitten off and the parents blamed their pitbull. it was actually a ferret that did it but the parents didn't want to say that because ferrets were illegal in the state they lived in.

Raisen
I will say one thing. People have a much harder time being intimidated by my dogs after they have seen them in what I like to refer to as "full-on marshmallow mode".

https://i.imgur.com/K8Nxhpi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0aDy6hs.jpg

Though, to give you some idea of size, those tiles on the floor are all 12 inch by 12 inch.

that's a good looking rott.

you should fite it bro

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.