End of life care

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
This is something that near and dear to me, because I'm living it now.

My 94 years old grandfather on my fathers side has become debilitated. His wife, my grandmother, passed on two years ago, and now it's only him. Six months ago, he suffered a fall. He's a veteran. The veteran's hospital turned him away, because they lacked the room.

So he went to another hospital and is expected to pay out of pocket.

He also does not want to live in a home.

A social worker advised us to expend all his assets, and that the state would step in. His assets are expended. The state isn't stepping in. A state representative outright said, they aren't paying for full time care. Plus, they're taking his social security checks.

When asked how he can live on nothing, the rep said "The state doesn't care!" Not an exaggeration, he said exactly that.

So now we've got a crippled old man, who can't look after himself, being left alone for large parts of the day because we, his family, all have jobs. He's still being hounded for 60-80 thousands for his six month hospital visit, which they'll never get because he has no assets or money.

Of course, we're looking after him as best we can, but this is the reality for end of life care. It's only a luxury the rich can afford.

Robtard
Sorry to hear that and it's a criminal shame. You would think veteran services would cover someone like your grandfather regardless, if they don't have room, then they pay another facility until they do.

BackFire
You shouldlook into other potential veteran programs that he might qualify for. He may be able to get home care via the VA and extra payments. My gf's dad was able to. I don't really know how the VA works, and if it varies from state to state, but it's worth looking ito.

That said, yeah it's awful and disgusting that that can even happen in this country. Speaks volumes of our backwards priorities we have here. Even more shameful because he's a veteran. Hope you guys can find a way to better deal with this situation. It's completely unacceptable.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Robtard
criminal shame.

really all there is to say about it, not just concerning veterans either.

Surtur
Originally posted by cdtm
This is something that near and dear to me, because I'm living it now.

My 94 years old grandfather on my fathers side has become debilitated. His wife, my grandmother, passed on two years ago, and now it's only him. Six months ago, he suffered a fall. He's a veteran. The veteran's hospital turned him away, because they lacked the room.

So he went to another hospital and is expected to pay out of pocket.

He also does not want to live in a home.

A social worker advised us to expend all his assets, and that the state would step in. His assets are expended. The state isn't stepping in. A state representative outright said, they aren't paying for full time care. Plus, they're taking his social security checks.

When asked how he can live on nothing, the rep said "The state doesn't care!" Not an exaggeration, he said exactly that.

So now we've got a crippled old man, who can't look after himself, being left alone for large parts of the day because we, his family, all have jobs. He's still being hounded for 60-80 thousands for his six month hospital visit, which they'll never get because he has no assets or money.

Of course, we're looking after him as best we can, but this is the reality for end of life care. It's only a luxury the rich can afford.

That's awful, I'm tired of seeing vets disrespected.

jaden101
Horrible to read but entirely unsurprising. The US has always promised the utmost respect to its veterans and has always treated with total contempt once their usefulness has been spent. It's very much the same in the UK for both veterans and the elderly even with a universal health care system. It doesn't cover care homes and the elderly are expected to sell off their assets to pay for residency in nursing homes. Sickening way to treat people.

Kurk
In Europe they don't even bother with care at this age. They send you to hospice and expect you to pass.

I plan to kill myself after the age of 80-something or when I become too weak to live an autonomous life.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.