Delayed Brexit Means No Brexit

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stigma
Interesting insights concerning Brexit and the way EU is run in general.

FrR4MJSVh74

Surtur
Is that the computing forever video? Yeah, it's just odd. Seems some are trying to do anything they can to avoid a brexit. My thing is, if the choice for brexit had lost and the "remain" side had won...it seems to me like they'd be throwing an utter temper tantrum if the "leave" side was still trying to push for a brexit and trying to push for do overs, etc.

But since the "leave" side won, it seems the remainers are trying to do anything and everything they can to weasel out of brexit.

If they end up weaseling out of it, why should any of the citizens take any future votes seriously? They have no guarantees the winning side will actually..win lol.

Robtard
Youtube links not working anymore, Stig

edit: Nevermind, went up on reload

Stigma
Originally posted by Surtur
Is that the computing forever video? Yeah, it's just odd. Seems some are trying to do anything they can to avoid a brexit. My thing is, if the choice for brexit had lost and the "remain" side had won...it seems to me like they'd be throwing an utter temper tantrum if the "leave" side was still trying to push for a brexit and trying to push for do overs, etc.

But since the "leave" side won, it seems the remainers are trying to do anything and everything they can to weasel out of brexit.

If they end up weaseling out of it, why should any of the citizens take any future votes seriously? They have no guarantees the winning side will actually..win lol.
I think you are precisely right.

He gives a very good example of a referendum in Ireland that was held before Brexit voting. Basically, the referendum was repeated until the EU got the result it wanted. There were other similar cases like that. IIRC one was in France.

Surtur
Originally posted by Stigma
I think you are precisely right.

He gives a very good example of a referendum in Ireland that was held before Brexit voting. Basically, the referendum was repeated until the EU got the result it wanted. There were other similar cases like that. IIRC one was in France.

I don't even get the point of a vote if the folks who lost can scream "do over!" and actually get one. I don't even care if the winning side wins by only 1 vote. The only reason to have another vote is if somehow both sides got the exact same number of votes.

But for people who scream for do overs...if they actually got a do over and then they get the result they wanted, can anyone explain why the losing side would not also be able to call for a do over...over the results of the do over?

Yet something tells me if they got a 2nd brexit vote, and the remain side won...they'd throw an utter fit if the leave side started calling for yet another do over.

Steve Zodiac
Well as the majority of Brits know what the EU is now and most don't want to leave anymore...

Surtur
Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
Well as the majority of Brits know what the EU is now and most don't want to leave anymore...

They should have voted to remain, then.

Robtard

That's what I heard, that many people voted based out of ignorance or being told lies. The promises given by the pro side where empty.

What was most telling for me, was after the vote and Brexit won, even the people who were behind it had an "oh shit, what now!" attitude. I think it was Boris Johnson who gave the victory speech and he looked like he was speaking at a funeral.

Scribble

If they end up weaseling out of it, why should any of the citizens take any future votes seriously? They have no guarantees the winning side will actually..win lol. Just a point that I've made before: a referendum is not a definitive vote, it is just a way of gauging the public's political opinion.

Also, yeah, it makes sense why people are trying to 'weasel out' of Brexit. I'd happily weasel out of it, considering that I want to work in the film industry, and that Brexit will likely break the independent film industry in the UK because we get a shitload (i.e., most) of our funding from the EU.

If it was a definitive vote then sure I'd accept it flat-out, but it wasn't, it was a referendum, and 2% either way is not a particularly smart way of deciding who won. There should have had to have been a 5% swing either way. You have to remember that the 'losing side' is literally half of the country, it's not just some small pocket of resistance. A no-deal Brexit could ruin this country financially, so deciding that fate due to a 2% swing on a non-binding public referendum is really dumb.

Surtur
Originally posted by Scribble
Just a point that I've made before: a referendum is not a definitive vote, it is just a way of gauging the public's political opinion.

Also, yeah, it makes sense why people are trying to 'weasel out' of Brexit. I'd happily weasel out of it, considering that I want to work in the film industry, and that Brexit will likely break the independent film industry in the UK because we get a shitload (i.e., most) of our funding from the EU.

If it was a definitive vote then sure I'd accept it flat-out, but it wasn't, it was a referendum, and 2% either way is not a particularly smart way of deciding who won. There should have had to have been a 5% swing either way. You have to remember that the 'losing side' is literally half of the country, it's not just some small pocket of resistance. A no-deal Brexit could ruin this country financially, so deciding that fate due to a 2% swing on a non-binding public referendum is really dumb.

And if they have a referendum and the remain side wins, and someone from the leave side demands another referendum, that occurs, correct? As long as the answer is yes, cool thumb up

Scribble
And if they have a referendum and the remain side wins, and someone from the leave side demands another referendum, that occurs, correct? As long as the answer is yes, cool thumb up If either side won by less than 5%, there should have been a second referendum either 6 or 12 months after the first one, and they should have kept going until one side or the other won by a margin of 5% or higher. That seems to make sense to me, but that isn't what happened, they seriously jumped the gun on such a big decision.

ArtificialGlory
If either side won by less than 5%, there should have been a second referendum either 6 or 12 months after the first one, and they should have kept going until one side or the other won by a margin of 5% or higher. That seems to make sense to me, but that isn't what happened, they seriously jumped the gun on such a big decision.
The Brexit vote should have required a supermajority to begin with.

EDIT: So while the 'weaseling' is distasteful, the UK leaving the EU was a big mistake. I hope it can still be rectified.

Flyattractor
The U.K's Political Leftist Monarchy has spoken. They don't care what the Peasants want.

Hence thier little soon to be land barons putting out lies like this.

Scribble
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
The Brexit vote should have required a supermajority to begin with.

EDIT: So while the 'weaseling' is distasteful, the UK leaving the EU was a big mistake. I hope it can still be rectified. Yeah, I'm being generous with 5%. It's a huge decision for the country to make, one that's consequences will last for a very long time, so deciding that on the back of an initial referendum with just a 2% margin of victory/loss is honestly really bad political form.

Flyattractor
I like how The EU it threatening the UK with a threat of a few BILLION if they do leave.

Its OK to threaten people when you do it like a Leftist Mob Gangster.

Beniboybling

Flyattractor
Now that makes more Sense...

Scribble

Surtur
If either side won by less than 5%, there should have been a second referendum either 6 or 12 months after the first one, and they should have kept going until one side or the other won by a margin of 5% or higher. That seems to make sense to me, but that isn't what happened, they seriously jumped the gun on such a big decision.

And if you never get someone winning by more than 5%...? How long does it go on and where is the line drawn?

Flyattractor
You have a Leftist Coup?

Scribble
And if you never get someone winning by more than 5%...? How long does it go on and where is the line drawn? If nobody wins by that margin then clearly the country isn't ready for it. Three referendums max would be enough to establish that, but it doesn't exclude the idea that maybe in another number of years, if the political landscape changes, there wouldn't be another opportunity for it to happen.

Foxsteak
I'm a leaver, but I want another referendum, and I'd rally all the people I can and make sure the vote ends 55% leave, 44% remain and to boot, Scotland be super remain just to give more drama.

Have another referendum and have us vote leave more. We've spoken!

Flyattractor
If nobody wins by that margin then clearly the country isn't ready for it. Three referendums max would be enough to establish that, but it doesn't exclude the idea that maybe in another number of years, if the political landscape changes, there wouldn't be another opportunity for it to happen.

Wow... What a load of Progressive BullSHIT!

Scribble
Any insult from you is instantly a compliment, so cheers.

Flyattractor
I just love how you go with the "IF THE MARGIN ISNT IN MY FAVOR THEN IT DOESN"T COUNT" ! Sounds just like something Hitler would say.

You are still in College aren't you!

Scribble
Lol no, that was exactly the opposite of my point, but you obviously can't read so there's no point discussing it. I actually agree with this guy
Originally posted by Foxsteak
I'm a leaver, but I want another referendum, and I'd rally all the people I can and make sure the vote ends 55% leave, 44% remain and to boot, Scotland be super remain just to give more drama.

Have another referendum and have us vote leave more. We've spoken! even though I'm on the other side of the debate to him. But yeah, libtard hitler nazi college progressive rock bands are great, or whatever it is you gibber on about.

Flyattractor
Blah Blah Blah I am all for Totalitarinism as long as I get to say I am on the winning side.

Blah Blah Blah!

*Scribble-ese*

Scribble
Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my speakers playing audiobooks of both Mein Kampf and Das Kapital on dual audio at full volume.

Bentley
Originally posted by Flyattractor
I like how The EU it threatening the UK with a threat of a few BILLION if they do leave.

Its OK to threaten people when you do it like a Leftist Mob Gangster.

The EU technocrats are from the left now? Ask the Greek government to confirm that.

Foxsteak
Lol no, that was exactly the opposite of my point, but you obviously can't read so there's no point discussing it. I actually agree with this guy
even though I'm on the other side of the debate to him. But yeah, libtard hitler nazi college progressive rock bands are great, or whatever it is you gibber on about. Well, you know, we kinda already had a referendum and leave won.

This margin of error shit was never a thing until people like you lost......

Flyattractor
Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my speakers playing audiobooks of both Mein Kampf and Das Kapital on dual audio at full volume.

I bet you look awesome in your Brown Shirt.

Scribble
This margin of error shit was never a thing until people like you lost...... Wrong.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40208941

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nigel-farage-52-48_uk_5820dc7ce4b020461a1d5fd9

BackFire
It certainly also doesn't help that Theresa May shit the bed when she called for a snap election and ended up weakening her own position to negotiate Brexit. The whole thing is a huge mess and has been handled very poorly and not been well thought out.

Foxsteak
Wrong.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40208941

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nigel-farage-52-48_uk_5820dc7ce4b020461a1d5fd9 The bbc article in not dated before the referendum, the mirror and huffington are, though.

Well, I'll take my statement back, it was wrong. I'm liking being on the other side, though.

http://starecat.com/content/wp-content/uploads/its-not-rigged-youre-just-loosing-hillary-clinton-supporter-sign-fail.jpg

Foxsteak
Originally posted by BackFire
It certainly also doesn't help that Theresa May shit the bed when she called for a snap election and ended up weakening her own position to negotiate Brexit. The whole thing is a huge mess and has been handled very poorly and not been well thought out. I'm pretty confident she didn't want to do Brexit and was a remainer.

Her job is to delay Brexit as much as possible, imo.

BackFire
I'm pretty confident she didn't want to do Brexit and was a remainer.

Her job is to delay Brexit as much as possible, imo.

Seems probable. From what I understand very few politicians have any real interest in Brexit. I honestly find it pretty impressive that they are making even weak attempts to do it since it's clear they don't want to.

Scribble
The bbc article in not dated before the referendum, the mirror and huffington are, though.

Well, I'll take my statement back, it was wrong. I'm liking being on the other side, though. I know, and I'd like to be on the other side too, but I think it'd be better if more people respected the opposition's right to refute. I would do that if the positions were reversed, although I know few others would. Either way, it's silly digging on the opposition for something you, too, would too, imo. It makes politics all about winning and losing, rather than it being about what it best for the country and its people.
It certainly also doesn't help that Theresa May shit the bed when she called for a snap election and ended up weakening her own position to negotiate Brexit. The whole thing is a huge mess and has been handled very poorly and not been well thought out. Yeah, I'm not even anti-Brexit (ridiculous how many times I have to say this), I'm just anti-Brexit under this government. They're a bunch of ****ups, with May being the worst of the bunch. I'd have taken a Brexit under Cameron, but May? Yeah, no thanks.

Foxsteak
Seems probable. From what I understand very few politicians have any real interest in Brexit. I honestly find it pretty impressive that they are making even weak attempts to do it since it's clear they don't want to. It's a very complex process and the plan, I always thought, was to align business more closely with the commonwealth and USA. There are just many factors to consider and no politician really wants to take the blame if it ****s up.

I know, and I'd like to be on the other side too, but I think it'd be better if more people respected the opposition's right to refute. I would do that if the positions were reversed, although I know few others would. Either way, it's silly digging on the opposition for something you, too, would too, imo. It makes politics all about winning and losing, rather than it being about what it best for the country and its people.
Yeah, I'm not even anti-Brexit (ridiculous how many times I have to say this), I'm just anti-Brexit under this government. They're a bunch of ****ups, with May being the worst of the bunch. I'd have taken a Brexit under Cameron, but May? Yeah, no thanks. GET MAY OUT!!

BackFire
Cameron was smart to bail out when he did, didn't want to deal with the inevitable dumpster fire.

Foxsteak
Cameron was smart to bail out when he did, didn't want to deal with the inevitable dumpster fire. Sure, but having the referendum anyway just for political points was dumb. They knew they wouldn't win the election without it.

RHaggis

"They were idiots before, but now they are smart and educated because they agree with my opinion."

Foxsteak
Originally posted by RHaggis
"They were idiots before, but now they are smart and educated because they agree with my opinion." This.

RHaggis
Scotland be super remain just to give more drama.

I wouldn't be so sure. Thankfully, the SNP wave has been quelled for the time being with their recent drop in seats in the last election, ironically enough mainly to the Tories.

Sadly though, yes, I doubt this would change much in terms of Scotland's Brexit position. I seem to be a minority among my fellow Scots. Ol' Nige didn't touch many hearts and minds up north.

Foxsteak
I wouldn't be so sure. Thankfully, the SNP wave has been quelled for the time being with their recent drop in seats in the last election, ironically enough mainly to the Tories.

Sadly though, yes, I doubt this would change much in terms of Scotland's Brexit position. I seem to be a minority among my fellow Scots. Ol' Nige didn't touch many hearts and minds up north. Tories, especially in Scotland, have a strong unionist movement and are pretty based. Their position was to remain part of the UK, whereas Labour were kinda all over the place.

I really don't think they'll have another referendum soon. I think most people know they'll vote against it.

socool8520
What is the main problem with the EU not wanting the UK to leave? Why is this such a big deal? In the quick scan of the overall consequences of a Brexit, it seems like the UK would lose out more than the remaining members. or if this is such a huge issue, why not rethink the immigration laws to appease the people who voted for Brexit, because from what I understand, that was was of the biggest selling points no?

Foxsteak
Originally posted by socool8520
What is the main problem with the EU not wanting the UK to leave? Why is this such a big deal? In the quick scan of the overall consequences of a Brexit, it seems like the UK would lose out more than the remaining members. or if this is such a huge issue, why not rethink the immigration laws to appease the people who voted for Brexit, because from what I understand, that was was of the biggest selling points no? Because the EU is dependent on the UK remaining. An EU with no UK is like a cup of tea with out a tea bag.

Hot water

Beniboybling

Sadly though, yes, I doubt this would change much in terms of Scotland's Brexit position. I seem to be a minority among my fellow Scots. Ol' Nige didn't touch many hearts and minds up north. But clearly touched you in all the right places aye Haggis?

RHaggis
Originally posted by Beniboybling
But clearly touched you in all the right places aye Haggis?

So immature! mad

Flyattractor
Looks like KMC has its next new Bromance.

Surtur
Originally posted by socool8520
What is the main problem with the EU not wanting the UK to leave? Why is this such a big deal? In the quick scan of the overall consequences of a Brexit, it seems like the UK would lose out more than the remaining members. or if this is such a huge issue, why not rethink the immigration laws to appease the people who voted for Brexit, because from what I understand, that was was of the biggest selling points no?

Who cares? They voted to leave. If they were too stupid to look up the consequences before hand...wait, aren't these the people who try to act like they are so much better than Americans?

RHaggis
Who cares? They voted to leave. If they were too stupid to look up the consequences before hand...wait, aren't these the people who try to act like they are so much better than Americans?

Generalisation and half, me thinks.

Surtur
Generalisation and half, me thinks.

Which thing? Their ignorance or the idea the Brits are somehow smarter than Americans? Smarter/better/whatever, whichever false notion people believe.

RHaggis
Which thing? Their ignorance or the idea the Brits are somehow smarter than Americans? Smarter/better/whatever, whichever false notion people believe.

Both.

Foxsteak
Which thing? Their ignorance or the idea the Brits are somehow smarter than Americans? Smarter/better/whatever, whichever false notion people believe. We are better than Americans.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.