Star Wars Rebels - Season 4, Heroes of Mandalore [Discussion]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
Thoughts?

DarthAnt66
I finished episode one of two so far. God awful.

Watching episode two now and am finding myself hate it even more.

How Filoni could make an episode of Mandalorians so terrible is beyond me.

DarthAnt66
Some one explain to me how a eleven year old (Sabine) created this super-weapon doomsday device that one-shots all Mandalorians on sight that no other Mandalorian could create?

I'm just not buying it. Not at all.

Also, god damn, I never remembered Bo Katan being so unreasonably annoying.

DarthAnt66
I'd take Season One of TCW over this.

Zenwolf
It was...eh...it might have been better if Sabine's mother/brother actually ya know...died, but of course not. The action was...eh. Also some 'warrior' culture they are, when Sabine's dad seems very tame and meek. A Legends Mando wouldn't put up with that shit and would stomp his teeth in.

Greysentinel365
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
I'd take Season One of TCW over this.

So it's a standard Rebels episode then?

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Greysentinel365
So it's a standard Rebels episode then?

Putting it one way, probably less.

UCanShootMyNova
Canon sucks. Any Kanan feats?

Zenwolf
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Canon sucks. Any Kanan feats?

Nothing new really.

Solar Power
Originally posted by Zenwolf
It was...eh...it might have been better if Sabine's mother/brother actually ya know...died, but of course not.

Totally killed the emotional impact of the first episode ending. An underwhelming start to the final season, par for the course.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Solar Power
Totally killed the emotional impact of the first episode ending. An underwhelming start to the final season, par for the course.

Yeah, there's probably gonna be a few small gems within the season, but not enough if any of the other seasons are indications. I kinda face scrunched at some of the S4 trailer soo...yeah..

Rockydonovang
Watched the first part. No idea why there's such strong dislike here. The episode was fine. Nice action sequences, decent dialogue, and a well placed twist at the end that raised the stakes and opened the possibility for some character exploration of who, at this point is this show's weakest character and badly needs it.

It's not on par with the openers of the other seasons, but that's fine as rebels opnenrs have always been extremely good. The question is whether they can conistently produce episodes of this quality.

Perhaps the second episode will explain the reaction here.

Rockydonovang
5 seconds in and now I understand the pessimism.

Wow.

DarthAnt66
My major complaints:

- Sabine being capable of creating a weapon that other Mandalorians cannot in her pre-teen years. I can't feel for her struggle given it's so unbelievably difficult to actually believe.

- Ezra's and Kanan's utter irrelevance; Ezra being pure comedic humor. What happened to the dark-side Ezra that was hinted at?

- Sabine's mother and brother conveniently being the only ones who survive the doomsday device. That's the ultimate expression of PIS.

- Bo-Katan. I never really liked her, but her constant mood-swings is cringe-inducing. Also, why were they trying to make Sabine giving her the darksaber as emotional? It's ****ing not.

- Mandalorians. Their portrayal doesn't make any sense. They seem more like heroic rebels slightly more capable than a stormtrooper than brutally-trained warriors ready to kill on command.

- The episode finished.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
5 seconds in and now I understand the pessimism.

Wow. thumb up They ruined a plotline that could've been really emotionally compelling.

At the end of the first episode when I thought Sabine's mom and brother actually died I literally said out loud, "Holy shit," because I was really surprised and impressed that Rebels went in that direction. But of course, something that interesting would've been too good to be true.

|King Joker|
Also, why were they trying to make Sabine giving her the darksaber as emotional? It's ****ing not. Eh, IIRC in Season 3 they kind of made a big deal about the darksaber because of its symbolic weight as a uniter of clans and extremely long history, as well as the implications about the strength of the person who wields it, so I could understand why it was being made a big deal.

Rockydonovang
Yea, the episode was still a very good one. Some nice symbolism with the armor, a great character moment for Sabine who's been strengthened as a character throughout this arc, very good action sequences, and a nice ending.

That said, this is still flawed and in many ways shows hwo this show constantly wastes it's own potential.
While this was a solid story, it could have been so much more powerful if Disney didn't feel the need to backtrack.

Having Tristan and Sabine's mother die would have provided an opportunity for us to see Sabine really suffer. And it's something she could have overcome the course of a season in stead of two singular episodes. Instead though, the personal conflict here has been fully expended when it could have been expanded on.

We see another example of this when Disney doesn't have the imperial mandalorian die when he's shocked by his superior. Again, needlessly reducing the power of their scenes.

Also, I don't like how the jedi are potrayed, especially Ezra. Why did Ezra come off as way more capable at the start of season 3 then he is now? Isn't Ezra supposed tobe growing more powerful? Becoming stronger?

So why is he still potrayed as comedic relief combatively?

On a bright note, Thrawn was killing it as he usually does. Him lecturing the mando on art was great sh!t.

DarthAnt66
@KJ: Sure, but Bo-Katan doesn't really create an emotional response. If she was giving it to a developed character, then sure, the move would have significance, but Bo-Katan was just introduced in Rebels (meaning half the audience just learned about her five seconds prior), and in TCW, she has little characterization. Sabine could have given the Darksaber to a random Mandalorian and it would elicit the same response for me.

Zenwolf
My major complaints:

- Mandalorians. Their portrayal doesn't make any sense. They seem more like heroic rebels slightly more capable than a stormtrooper than brutally-trained warriors ready to kill on command.

Legends Mandos would be ashamed and then proceed to kick their asses.

Trocity

- The episode finished.

Rofl.

Greysentinel365
For the record guys Filoni has said Ezra is done with his DS arc. Which lasted...... 1 episode.

Okay seriously **** this show. I mean 1-3 episodes a season are good but on average....

So glad this is the last season.

Rockydonovang

Okay seriously **** this show. I mean 1-3 episodes a season are good but on average....

Season 3 had at least 4 good episodes Grey. It's called progress.

Zenwolf

ares834
Progress? Season 3 was easily the worst season of Rebels. In fact, I'd say the seasons have gotten progressively worse with season 1 being the best of the bunch.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by ares834
Progress? Season 3 was easily the worst season of Rebels. In fact, I'd say the seasons have gotten progressively worse with season 1 being the best of the bunch. thumb up I was thinking the same thing.

|King Joker|

Rockydonovang
Progress? Season 3 was easily the worst season of Rebels. In fact, I'd say the seasons have gotten progressively worse with season 1 being the best of the bunch.
My sarcasm hasn't progressed it seems sad

Though you could argue season 3>season 2 tbh.

Zenwolf

Rockydonovang
Really? Those seem more likely to be good than your normal rebel episode:
Anything with Maul
Twin Suns
Basically anything with Captain Rex
The first Hondo episode
Tarkin sh!t

and yea,
Vader and Ahsoka.

If anything, the shows problem is that it's too dependent on popular tcw characters to carry it when it should be developing it's own cast.

Zenwolf

Rockydonovang
Well, then which TCW characters are you thinking about when you say you can't get into their plot lines?

Zenwolf

Rockydonovang
Well yea, Rex has been criminally underused, but given how he tends to elevate the show whenever he's given any screen time, if they actually made a plot line with him, I'd imagine you'd be more likely to get into that one then most of the plotlines this show dishes out.

Though yea, wtf happened to rex's clone crew? Where are the others?

Darth Abonis
I didn't care for Heroes of Mandalore. However, I did like the weapon Sabine created. It wasn't just a plot hole superweapon. It had a specific purpose. To kill Mandalorians.

Zenwolf
The weapon itself, I have some major problems with. It's nice...but the fact it's basically a one-shot episode weapon is the dumbest thing ever and conveniently, only Sabine knows how it operates. Yeah, because the Empire would leave the plans only on Mandalore in one location, apparently also they have no other weapon designers that can think, because apparently this weapon is soooo unique that no one else can figure it out to use on the other enemies of the Empire.

....Yeah give me a break, that's the dumbest thing ever. No one in their right mind, would ever think

"Oh hey guys, we have this potentially army busting weapon, lets leave all the plans on this one planet where it can all be erased and lets not try to have any other weapon designers in our entire galaxy spanning Empire to work with it."

The Canon Empire is going down the drain so fast.

Greysentinel365
The weapon itself, I have some major problems with. It's nice...but the fact it's basically a one-shot episode weapon is the dumbest thing ever and conveniently, only Sabine knows how it operates. Yeah, because the Empire would leave the plans only on Mandalore in one location, apparently also they have no other weapon designers that can think, because apparently this weapon is soooo unique that no one else can figure it out to use on the other enemies of the Empire.

....Yeah give me a break, that's the dumbest thing ever. No one in their right mind, would ever think

"Oh hey guys, we have this potentially army busting weapon, lets leave all the plans on this one planet where it can all be erased and lets not try to have any other weapon designers in our entire galaxy spanning Empire to work with it."

The Canon Empire is going down the drain so fast.

In Rebels Recon they state it only works with Beskar armour........ WTF?

Zenwolf
In Rebels Recon they state it only works with Beskar armour........ WTF?

Yet Sabine was able to change it to effect Stormtrooper armor...sooo....that's clearly some made up BS since we clearly see it effecting other armor sets.

Also yeah, sure...this is the one weapon that the design can't be changed, it's magic apparently and not tech based and other weapon designers just can't comprehend its design....

DarthAnt66
At this point I barely even consider Rebels as a Canon event.

FreshestSlice
Because the bar for Canon stories is really high.

ares834

Rockydonovang
^^^Agreed. Canon's been mostly bad with a few diamonds in the rough

Zenwolf
I'm not saying Canon has to meet the bar that Legends has, just be good.

Darth Abonis
Yet Sabine was able to change it to effect Stormtrooper armor...sooo....that's clearly some made up BS since we clearly see it effecting other armor sets.

Also yeah, sure...this is the one weapon that the design can't be changed, it's magic apparently and not tech based and other weapon designers just can't comprehend its design....

Yeah, unless Sabine is a genius with an IQ of 300, and the best Imperial weapon's designers are only at 160-180, then yeah I see your point.

Dark-Kenshin

- Ezra's and Kanan's utter irrelevance; Ezra being pure comedic humor. What happened to the dark-side Ezra that was hinted at? That was a thing for like two episodes into Season 3 before fizzling away without any explanation. That, having Kanan overcome his blindness in total of one episode, Deus ex Bendu, lackluster Thrawn and the decision to just up and off Maul at random really killed any potential this show had. So the lackluster start to season 4 doesn't surprise me. This show is trash.

Dark-Kenshin
For the record guys Filoni has said Ezra is done with his DS arc. Which lasted...... 1 episode.

So glad this is the last season. What I don't understand is why they spent ALL OF SEASON 2 hyping up a DS arc if they were just gonna fizzle it away without explanation at some point during season 3? Two episodes and it's gone and Ezra is back to being a static brick. Great storytelling

Dark-Kenshin
I remember when there was talk to have Revan or Treya to come back and be given an arc. So glad they didn't do that. Probably would've ruined both characters based on the level of writing we've seen.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Dark-Kenshin
lackluster Thrawn
What was wrong with Thrawn?

Darth Thor

This.

Originally posted by Dark-Kenshin
What I don't understand is why they spent ALL OF SEASON 2 hyping up a DS arc if they were just gonna fizzle it away without explanation at some point during season 3? Two episodes and it's gone and Ezra is back to being a static brick. Great storytelling

The Maul/Ezra relationship should have gone much further.

Rebel95
Rebels sucks. It's a kids tv show what do you expect lol

Zenwolf

Darth Thor
Yep. Star Wars was always aimed at a young audience. It just so happened that adults loved it just as much.

Lord Stark
^Its like a modern day "The Hobbit". And nah Rebels peaked in Season 2. The 'Soka episodes were dope.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Lord Stark
^Its like a modern day "The Hobbit". And nah Rebels peaked in Season 2. The 'Soka episodes were dope.

I mean as a standalone, with new characters for the show and everything without bringing back TCW characters, I feel it peaked at S1 honestly.

For now, S4 might be able to get there depending on how it plays out.

Lord Stark
I mean as a standalone, with new characters for the show and everything without bringing back TCW characters, I feel it peaked at S1 honestly.

For now, S4 might be able to get there depending on how it plays out.

That's fair. I did like the Inquisitors even if they were horribly handled and misused. We never got great insight into their organization and structure. It was a mistake to have killed off the Grand Inquisitor in Season 1. Or if they were going to kill him off he should not have been the Grand Inquisitor.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Lord Stark
That's fair. I did like the Inquisitors even if they were horribly handled and misused. We never got great insight into their organization and structure. It was a mistake to have killed off the Grand Inquisitor in Season 1. Or if they were going to kill him off he should not have been the Grand Inquisitor.

Yeah...that I felt was extremely weird. Especially since in the Vader comic, the GI seems to be superior to the other Inquisitors. So Rebels went backwards with showing the boss first and then the lackies?

Darth Thor

Darth Truculent
How are they gonna die?

Darth Thor

DarthDuelist9
"They have to kill someone otherwise the show isn't good".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.