Worst Cases of PIS in Comic Books

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WolverineX25
In your Opinion, what are the Worst Cases of Plot-Induced Stupidity you have read in Comic Books? (Marvel, DC, Image, or Indie - doesn't matter)

I Vote: when Squirrel Girl defeated Thanos...wtf?

What are your picks?

abhilegend
Yeah, how did Thanos survive an encounter with Doreen?

He should have been atomized.

Bentley
Batman not dying by stray punches.

This is not bad because it doesn't happen often, but because of the consequence: Batman not being dead.

Flyattractor
See any thing Wolverine/Deadpool.

Insane Titan
World War Hulk arc

tkitna
Sentry being punked by Hammond Torch. I realize they had to write him out of the storyline, but come on.

WolverineX25
Originally posted by tkitna
Sentry being punked by Hammond Torch. I realize they had to write him out of the storyline, but come on.

I actually would take this argument a step further: I don't see how Thor was able to defeat the Sentry that easily, not after the Sentry destroyed most of Asgard. I feel like it was a desperate attempt to end the story featuring Sentry.

deathslash
Originally posted by Flyattractor
See any thing Wolverine/Deadpool. actually, Deadpool has regularly gotten turned into hamburger and hardly ever walks away from a fight without receiving some major injuries.....

On topic, Nightwing surviving against that guy with all of the powers of the Justice League, Batman surviving against zoom, and the flash stabbing himself on Deathstroke's sword.

cdtm
Originally posted by Bentley

This is not bad because it doesn't happen often, but because of the consequence: Batman not being dead.

Batman vs Superman and Val Arnorr being the bigger offenders.

They can literally punch out a mountain, and Batman's gonna go "oof" and fight on. Right.

WolverineX25
I completely forgot about Batman's "Bat Kick" against the Spectre. That was one of the stupidest moments in comic books.

deathslash
Originally posted by WolverineX25
I completely forgot about Batman's "Bat Kick" against the Spectre. That was one of the stupidest moments in comic books. the next page consisted of the spectre literally telling him that he let it happen though.

WolverineX25
Originally posted by deathslash
the next page consisted of the spectre literally telling him that he let it happen though.

I'm aware, but it was still stupid. But then again, so was the whole Korvac story VS the Living Tribunal back in the day. I'll also post another PIS moment in my next posting:

zopzop
Originally posted by WolverineX25
the whole Korvac story
This. That What If made ZERO sense. Korvac beats many cosmic beings yet panics at the sight of an alien armada. laughing

Prof. T.C McAbe
Weakened MM vs Sentry

WolverineX25
The Living Tribunal VS The Infinity Gauntlet

Another PIS moment in my opinion was when Eternity and the Celestial Cast of Marvel appealed to the Living Tribunal when Thanos possessed the Infinity Gauntlet, and the LT responded that Thanos was in No Violation of Natural Order despite becoming the Supreme Being of the 616 Universe and wiping out half of the life population of that universe.

However, when it came to Adam Warlock possessing the Infinity Gauntlet, the LT took Eternity's new case and actually agreed with Eternity that Adam Warlock was not mentally fit to rule the universe.

This makes no sense to me. Thanos was mentally fit to rule a universe, but Adam Warlock was not. The Living Tribunal made no effort to subpoena Thanos for trial and review, but Adam Warlock was forced to the M-Dimension for Judgment and was ruled unfit to wield the Infinity Gauntlet.

I just don't buy that, I think the storyline direction forced this plot sequence.

WolverineX25
Originally posted by zopzop
This. That What If made ZERO sense. Korvac beats many cosmic beings yet panics at the sight of an alien armada. laughing

It was such a stupid saga.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

DarkSaint85
Batman. Just, the whole concept.

Badabing
Originally posted by Bentley

This is not bad because it doesn't happen often, but because of the consequence: Batman not being dead. Originally posted by Insane Titan
World War Hulk arc
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Batman. Just, the whole concept.
I will fight you all to the death! sneer

beatboks
Everything Guggenhiem wrote in JSA. Complete and utter hack

So many errors too much to count.
Alan Scot (en entity of living magical energy shown fozens of times) had to create a neck brace to support a broken neck. The same character who simply regrew an eyeball when it suited him. The instant he crossed over into JLA and was under the pen of Robinson he healed in a few panels.

The guy couldnt even get basic history of the JSA and the real world right in the same arc. He had Jay and Alan in uniform a couple of years prior to their joining, going on a mission vs Nazis before the US joined the war in an area of the world that eas fascist Italy Occupied not Nazi occupied.

What a GREAT writer, way to research the subject matter

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by abhilegend
Yeah, how did Thanos survive an encounter with Doreen?

He should have been atomized.

thumb up

Stoic
Superman walking around with a pair of glasses without anyone realizing. He-Man, and Prince Adam come pretty close as well.

Faceless808
Originally posted by Stoic
Superman walking around with a pair of glasses without anyone realizing.

Don't forget that lock of hair SM had on his forehead. Master of disguise stuff right there! lol!

-Pr-
Superman walking around with a pair of glasses without anyone realizing. He-Man, and Prince Adam come pretty close as well.

Why his disguise works is better explained than most things in comics, to be fair.

Stoic
Originally posted by -Pr-
Why his disguise works is better explained than most things in comics, to be fair.

I for one can say that I'd never be fooled by it. I'd likely walk up to him and stab him with a butcher knife, while saying that I knew it with a cheesy grin.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Faceless808
Don't forget that lock of hair SM had on his forehead. Master of disguise stuff right there! lol!
https://i.redd.it/u7mkcnpw675z.jpg

-Pr-
I for one can say that I'd never be fooled by it. I'd likely walk up to him and stab him with a butcher knife, while saying that I knew it with a cheesy grin.

Assuming you guessed it was him in the first place.

Faceless808
Originally posted by abhilegend
https://i.redd.it/u7mkcnpw675z.jpg

laughing thumb up

Enzeru
Originally posted by Prof. T.C McAbe

Weakened MM vs Sentry

One (established) godlike level character losing to another (unestablished, yet ambiguously powerful) godlike level character doesn't make it a PIS moment.
Especially considering that the fight served the progression of the entire story / build up for the final threat.

PIS only works, when established stuff gets thrown out of the window in order to progress the plot quickly.

The worst case that comes to my mind was probably Deathstroke taking out the Justice League. I mean... what the hell. They made him tag Flash, because he had a lot of experience with fighting the Flash. What he did to Green Lantern was almost as comical.

And I personally pick that case over other cases like for example Spider-Man beating Firelord.
I'm a firm believer, that considering how herald level characters at their best can go up against cosmic threats... a meta-human at his or her absolute best can go up against a herald level characters.

Comic book battle boarders have this idea, that the line between reasonable power level differences is dramatically big... But I personally don't think it is.
I think that a regular human like Batman can hurt a metahuman like Spider-Man. A metahuman like Spider-Man can hurt a herald like Firelord. However it does start getting questionable when a regular human like Batman manages to hurt a herald like Wonder Woman. And then the next question is: Is a Skyfather allowed to hurt an Abstract? Can Thor at his absolute best be viewed as a Skyfather? Is Thor allowed to hurt a Beyonderbaby? Questions over questions.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.