Spiderman, Superman or Captain America

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carver9
Which one of these 3 do you see having the LEAST chances of becoming a villain, no matter the situation. Let's not look at the minority of showings for these characters since each have probably became horror like. Let's base this off of the majority.

Rank them from least chances of becoming a villain to 3 being the person who would become a villain first.

abhilegend
Secret Empire and Superior Spider-Man?

spetznaz

Vanguard
1.Spider-Man
2.Cap
3.Superman

I've always thought Spider-Man was a sissy. Cap is a slave to his morals, but you see him get pissed at times. Superman is a boyscout, but you'll see him cut loose on people that can take it.

Damborgson
Originally posted by carver9
Which one of these 3 do you see having the LEAST chances of becoming a villain, no matter the situation. Let's not look at the minority of showings for these characters since each have probably became horror like. Let's base this off of the majority.

Rank them from least chances of becoming a villain to 3 being the person who would become a villain first.

Of their own free will?

Captain
Spiderman
Superman

In order of least to most likely.

They've all had their dark moments, but I don't see Injustice as being unrealistic at all for Superman.

Captain crossed into a villainous line during the first civil war a bit.

Spiderman can be pretty dark, and his family could be used against him.

http://i.imgur.com/FYUdQuG.jpg

StiltmanFTW
Lol, Puny Pete needed several amps and Straczynski's writing him to be able to affect Kingpin with 50 blows laughing out loud

Philosophía
Originally posted by Damborgson
I don't see Injustice as being unrealistic at all for Superman. https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/single-tear-gif-11.gif

DarkSaint85
Of their own free will?

Captain
Spiderman
Superman

They've all had their dark moments, but I don't see Injustice as being unrealistic at all for Superman.

I do.

Manchester Black tried that very same tactic. He cuts loose, against very specific opponents (Maxwell had to use Doomsday). But most of the time, using the majority of their showings, only one of these three are called the boyscout.

Cap killed Nazis by the bucketload, iirc.

riv6672
Least chance of becoming a villain?
Spidey.
Then Cap.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Spiderman would become a villain before CA and both before Superman. Superman from the mainstream universe was tempted by abstract forces and never failed. His story, the story of good versus evil is even the most powerful force in the DCU.

riv6672
And yet he's the one thats most likely to turn, go figure.

emporerpants
mainstream canon Superman is the least likely to turn. It's kinda his whole deal, being the hero, the unshakeable force of good, etc.

riv6672
Just like Spidey's is doing the right thing, no matter the odds, and Cap's is loyalty, duty and honor.

Its ALL their things.

TethAdamTheRock
Spiderman then Cap Then Superman

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by riv6672
And yet he's the one thats most likely to turn, go figure.

Mainstream Superman? No.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by TethAdamTheRock
Spiderman then Cap Then Superman

For the most part, if this is arranged least to most likely to turn villain, as OP asks, I agree.

Spider-Man is used to standing up to people a LOT more powerful than himself and without the aid of allies, and putting his life on the line. Unlike Cap, he won't go along with anything just because some "legitimate" authority tells him to, either. He can only be controlled through his family, and, in most cases, it's been seen to that Pete's villains are kept in the dark about who Peter himself really is, let alone his relations.

Cap is too much on the side of secular law to be much more trustworthy than his superiors. What is legal is not always right and good.

As for Superman:

Justice Lords, Injustice League, Sacrifice, Public Enemies, Earth-2, Kingdom Come, and practically every story that features Lois Lane murdered, depicts a Superman who went mad and villainous from the hopeless sense of loss and rage.

Digi
I mean, it's valid to say that any could turn given a particular set of circumstances, or that none of them would because we've seen them hold the moral line on numerous occasions.

Pete had a famous arc specifically about this: Maximum Carnage. I think that's the closest thing to definitive proof that he'd never turn that I've seen for any of these three, but I'm also not as canonically thorough with my knowledge of the other two. And - it should be noted - Cap shows up in Maximum Carnage in what's probably Pete's darkest moment to provide moral support in his decision(s), so it's not like plenty of evidence doesn't exist for him as well (and Superman, as well, no doubt).

-Pr-
re: Superman, there's a difference between wanting to save the world from itself, and what happened in Injustice. He's as unlikely as any hero to actually turn bad. Injustice would be completely out of character though.

Digi
Killing Joke is an interesting look at this, because much like Maximum Carnage, it asks this exact question. I realize Batman isn't in the OP, but it's a nice analogous meditation on the question. Does it really only take one bad day?

I think Killing Joke has to be non-canon, because it's implied that Batman kills Joker at the end. But Gordon didn't turn, and he's arguably the focus of the Joker's experiment.

cdtm
Of their own free will?

Captain
Spiderman
Superman

Alternate Superman is alternate Superman.

In the mainstream, Eclipso couldn't even touch him with his rage amping, Superman had to allow him to take over. Manchester Black forced him through an Injustice scenerio, and he refused to kill Black.

Digi
Of their own free will?

Captain
Spiderman
Superman

I guess you have a point here; he promised to come back and kill Fisk if May died, iirc. There's still the matter of whether or not he would have gone through with it...it could have been a play to get Fisk to pull some strings on her behalf or something. But as it stands, it's a reasonable instance to mention.

DarkSaint85
There's also that deal with Mephisto. Sure,it was for a good purpose, but he effectively killed off all the happiness MJ and he had together.

Interesting that all of Bluewater's examples involve alt. Supermen, or mind control.

And even with mind control, it's interesting how Sacrifice was brought up:
https://m.imgur.com/Y1oio8F

And Neron, THE Devil in DC who does deals all the time:

https://m.imgur.com/ir2HgX2

Raisen
Of their own free will?

Captain
Spiderman
Superman

I agree with you and most others on this thread that superman definitely has the most potential to be a piece of shiit.

good post bro

cdtm
The character with the least chances is not on this list.

Batman.

Seriously, in nearly every "apocolyptic" scenerio or "dirtbag universe", it's a Batman fighting the good fight.

1. Injustice

2. Superman Red

3. Justice Lords

4. Alternate evil universe made by Dr. Destiny that I'm not sure even existed.

The exception is All Star Batman and Robin, but there he's less evil and more merely insane.

Flyattractor
Current Cuck Lord Spider-Man is the least likely to become a villain. Unless his GF does it for him that is..

TethAdamTheRock
Superman isnt Human and Far more powerful than any human even most Superheros. He is the most likely to go evil

The Least likely to go evil in all of comics, Captain Marvel

8swords

Damborgson
Originally posted by cdtm
Alternate Superman is alternate Superman.

In the mainstream, Eclipso couldn't even touch him with his rage amping, Superman had to allow him to take over. Manchester Black forced him through an Injustice scenerio, and he refused to kill Black.

Well Injustice isn't as cut and dry as turning him bad on the spot. From Supermans perspective, especially near the end of year 1, he was not the bad guy.

He was doing this to prevent anyone suffering like he did again.

-Pr-
Well Injustice isn't as cut and dry as turning him bad on the spot. From Supermans perspective, especially near the end of year 1, he was not the bad guy.

He was doing this to prevent anyone suffering like he did again.

"our" Superman would never do the things Injustice Superman did. Not a chance.

Damborgson
I knows he's Superman, and that brings with him qualities beyond any man.

But you dont think there's a small chance he might go off the deep end if he killed his pregnant wife and annihilated his own city all because his friend didnt put the animal that manipulated him into doing it,down,when,he,had,the,chance? Not even a little ?

In the slow fade fashion that overtook Injustice Superman no less?

DarkSaint85

But you dont think there's a small chance he might go off the deep end if he killed his pregnant wife and annihilated his own city all because his friend didnt put the animal that manipulated him into doing it,down,when,he,had,the,chance? Not even a little ?

That's exactly what Maxwell Lord and Manchester Black did. And Superman rejected it.

So no, there's actually no chance of it happening.

Bentley
Superman is not human hence he has the least chances of going evil.

SamZED
You logic is flawed. miffed

cdtm
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
That's exactly what Maxwell Lord and Manchester Black did. And Superman rejected it.

So no, there's actually no chance of it happening.

Yep. thumb up

Black in particular I can see being the inspiration for Injustice by some writer who read John's Superman (Pretty sure Ending Battle was Johns early work) and said "Too much, even Superman should have a breaking point."

May even be Johns himself, didn't he work on the game?

-Pr-

Basically what DS said. Shit like this has been tried before; it's not some new concept. And he came through it, because that's one of the pillars of the character.

Damborgson
Can someone post the scans for me please?

panthergod
Originally posted by Bentley
Superman is not human hence he has the least chances of going evil.

Wrong. Superman is human, and always has been. that's the point of the character's concept. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand the character. period.

DarkSaint85
I've already posted the Maxwell Lord scan. The rest of the story you've seen already, obv.

DarkSaint85
Chester:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/m6ZWq.jpg

Damborgson
I've already posted the Maxwell Lord scan. The rest of the story you've seen already, obv.

No, I haven't. Ill have to read it.

But just from the scan you posted, It's not on a comparable level. If I'm wrong though show me, I'm open to discussion on it of course.

DarkSaint85
Oh sorry. It's the Sacrifice storyline.....where Maxwell Lord convinces Superman that WW is Doomsday, and has just killed Lois Lane. He goes apeshit and attacks WW.

The scans have been posted loads on the forums, so was surprised you hadn't seen them is all.

The Manchester Black scan was a separate storyline. He also mind controlled Superman into thinking he had just killed Lois, and was standing over her corpse. He wanted Superman to snap and kill him.

Superman didn't, and Chester gave up.

DarkSaint85
https://babblingsaboutdccomics3.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/act_796_001.png
https://babblingsaboutdccomics3.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/act_796_002.png

Action Comics 796.

Damborgson
Oh sorry. It's the Sacrifice storyline.....where Maxwell Lord convinces Superman that WW is Doomsday, and has just killed Lois Lane. He goes apeshit and attacks WW.

The scans have been posted loads on the forums, so was surprised you hadn't seen them is all.

The Manchester Black scan was a separate storyline. He also mind controlled Superman into thinking he had just killed Lois, and was standing over her corpse. He wanted Superman to snap and kill him.

Superman didn't, and Chester gave up.

Oh those? Sorry, brain fart. Yes ive seen those, but from my understanding Superman was actively trying to kill Wonder Woman.

Yeah, it speaks volumes of Supermans character. But its not comparable.

Superman actually killed Lois in Injustice. While pregnant. And then he popped his own city. And he STILL held on to his humanity for quite some time after he killed Joker. But he lost it in the end, and Chester showing him a dead Lois is not on the same level of hell.

h1a8
My list is
Cap
Spidey
Superman

Cap has killed in war situations but it holds very little to any weight to becoming bad (look at Logan).

Superman and Spidey can lose it when the one(s) they love the most are brutally tortured and murdered in front of them and the offender gets away.

Cap would stay mostly true in that situation (also he isn’t attached to a particular person as much as the other two are). At worst, he would become similar to Logan but lesser. Logan will always be good.

DarkSaint85
Oh those? Sorry, brain fart. Yes ive seen those, but from my understanding Superman was actively trying to kill Wonder Woman.

Yeah, it speaks volumes of Supermans character. But its not comparable.

Superman actually killed Lois in Injustice. While pregnant. And then he popped his own city. And he STILL held on to his humanity for quite some time after he killed Joker. But he lost it in the end, and Chester showing him a dead Lois is not on the same level of hell.

It took Max years to subvert it:

https://s5.postimg.org/s5sog4klj/RCO089_1486710779.jpg

Killing again would shatter Superman's mind, that's how strong his aversion to killing is.

So yeah, Injustice type scenarios aren't quite as likely in mainstream DCU. I mean of course, you could argue that Injustice Superman is completely mad, but his actions aren't like that.

Furthermore, he doesn't see Doomsday as a person. Just an animal that needs to be put down:
https://s5.postimg.org/a2zlowwgn/RCO107_1486710779.jpg
https://s5.postimg.org/un4fnejxj/RCO108_1486710779.jpg
So using the Sacrifice storyline as proof that he can easily go evil, is not quite right - any more than arguing that a vet who puts a rabid dog down is evil.

staxamillion
cap

spidey

supes

darthgoober
Realistically from a real world standpoint, Supes and Spidey could never become full on villains permanently because they're both cash cows and their companies probably couldn't afford to lose money from the multiple books both star in.

In universe, Supes is the least likely to switch from mind control, Spidey is the least likely to switch due to just getting fed up with everything over time, and Cap is the least likely to "just snap" Injustice style.

h1a8
Captain america
Spidey
Superman

CatL18
Superman
Captain America
Spiderman

I can't undestand why people so adamantly want to see darkness in Superman

riv6672

Scarlet315
The Spider-Man comic titled "who am I?" Proves without a doubt that spidey is just inherently good. But having uncle Ben, aunt may some good moral support period does play a factor. This is cause there are alternate versions like a Spider-Man from another universe that has been trained to kill by wolverine.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.