Rom: Space Knight vs Magneto

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Who wins? http://images.killermovies.com/forums/moresmilies/whistling.gif

StiltmanFTW
erm

leonidas
blink

on the plus side, i'd say that the neutralizer would be one of the very few things out there capable of getting through, or at least disabling, mags' shield.

he'd be long dead before he could use it, but still. good for him. thumb up

CosmicComet
Rom has fought bigger powerhouses. I feel like he could resist mags well enough.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by leonidas
blink

on the plus side, i'd say that the neutralizer would be one of the very few things out there capable of getting through, or at least disabling, mags' shield.

he'd be long dead before he could use it, but still. good for him. thumb up

Cdtm has read only some IF comics, nothing else.

cdtm
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Rom has fought bigger powerhouses. I feel like he could resist mags well enough.

He's knocked back Hulk, beaten down Blob and fought Colossus.

Cage actually nearly KO'd himself trying to tackle him.

And then there's lesser Space Knights Javalin and the guy with the giant fist defeating the likes of Terrax.

StiltmanFTW
Mags has fought Colossus in hth. Think about it.

Rom gets raped.

leonidas
erm, yeah. this...really wouldn't be a fight.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by cdtm
He's knocked back Hulk, beaten down Blob and fought Colossus.

Cage actually nearly KO'd himself trying to tackle him.

And then there's lesser Space Knights Javalin and the guy with the giant fist defeating the likes of Terrax.

He also stalemated Gladiator and his armor was explicitly durable enough to withstand his heat vision.

Facee
How is ROM going to move? Mags can control him like a puppet on a string....Unless I'm missing something?

Kazenji
Which version of Rom are we using here?

deathslash
Originally posted by Kazenji
Which version of Rom are we using here? thumb up very good question. I want to say we're using the IDW version since it hasn't been specified.

cdtm
Originally posted by Facee
How is ROM going to move? Mags can control him like a puppet on a string....Unless I'm missing something?

Neutralizer, mainly. Stops nearly any power/energy.

And just because he's metal, doesn't make him "ferrous".

cdtm
Originally posted by deathslash
thumb up very good question. I want to say we're using the IDW version since it hasn't been specified.

Lets call it an amalagam. smile

Most of his feats are tied up with Marvel, but I don't really want to give up tossing around Optimus Prime (Which is the least he could do if he could match f'n Gladiator anyways.)

Genii96
Originally posted by cdtm
Neutralizer, mainly. Stops nearly any power/energy.

And just because he's metal, doesn't make him "ferrous".

Magneto is not limited to ferrous materials

cdtm
Originally posted by Genii96
Magneto is not limited to ferrous materials

Can he affect wood?

Hasn't he been inhibited by strategic non ferrous materials in some stories?

leonidas
do we know that the new rom's armor isn't made of metal...? the old one was plandanium. strong stuff, but weaker than adamantium which mags has easily ripped out of logan. the neutralizer would def work on mags, (could even make him human) but there is no way he'd have a chance to use it. seriously not understanding how this is a legit discussion... confused

cdtm
My point was, not all metals are ferrous. Then I get a response that Mags can affect non ferrous metal, and reply with "wood".

Is there a difference? Far as I can see, non magnetic metal or wood should have the same result.. Inhibiting Mags ability.

cdtm
do we know that the new rom's armor isn't made of metal...? the old one was plandanium. strong stuff, but weaker than adamantium which mags has easily ripped out of logan. the neutralizer would def work on mags, (could even make him human) but there is no way he'd have a chance to use it. seriously not understanding how this is a legit discussion... confused

He fought with Gladiator.

That implies strength/speed enough to give him a fair shot in a quick draw.

DarkSaint85
http://i.imgur.com/3oi2znX.jpg.

Note his disassembly of the missiles.

cdtm
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
http://i.imgur.com/3oi2znX.jpg.

Note his disassembly of the missiles.

I see it.

It begs the question, why even bother with the steel ibeams. Why not just affect the gunships directly?

It's a nice feat, but if this represents more then an outlier, then the logical conclusion is Magneto should be able to affect wood.

DarkSaint85
I've seen some references to him affecting wood, but I'm not going to make any claims. But apparently it has happened.

Philosophía
Magneto's powers extend to sub-atomic.

He can affect atoms individually, it's just harder.

Steve Zodiac
Pretty much, atoms themselves are magnetic due to the spin and orbital momentum of electrons. Non-ferrous metals also can be affected by a strong enough magnet like those in an MRI machine. Rom is fooked!

leonidas
lol i've missed you whirly. thumb up

and cd--just because he fought glads doesn't mean he can challenge mags at all. he isn't as fast or strong as glads in any event, but more importantly, mags is a totally different kind of opponent, obviously. we'd also need proof the armor is non ferrous. i know for a fact the marvel armor was metal...

as far as affecting non-ferrous items--he has done so a couple different times. when he is shown affecting matter atomically, the macro magnetic properties of the substance wouldn't matter because as whirly said, atoms themselves are magnetic.

rom really is fooked. /shrugged

cdtm
I remember Marvel Rom seeming pretty formidable, though.

Didn't Ben Grim or Colossus lose horribly to Gladiator? To even challenge him is a pretty impressive showing, imo.

Is the argument now that Rom is ferrous until proven otherwise? Or is it that it doesn't really matter, because of atomic properities?

The latter is saying a lot more about Magnus then Rom.. As in, you could put Superman or Blue Marvel in here and he'd win (Since his em spectrum powers can affect literally anything made of atoms..)

Smurph

cdtm
Not Superman Blue. Regular Superman.

Smurph
Oh, misread that on my phone. thumb up

Point stands though. There's an older scan somewhere of Magneto casually levitating a paper file, and he's been effecting exotic energy for a long time. Ferrous metals may be his bread and butter, but Marvel hasn't limited him to that, or even to the EM spectrum.

I'm sure that he could effect Superman and Blue Marvel in various ways, if they were moving slow enough that he could concentrate on it.

leonidas
yeah blue supes may simply exceed his own energy control abilities. as far as rom--yeah, i'd think the onus would be on you (cd) to show the armor is NOT metal...) if it isn't then this could be quite different. he simply doesn't have as many showings against non-metals, and there are even some contradictory showings out there. mags would be forced to use iron in the environment against him, which could still be enough to win this for him, or go for the old blood trick if galadorians have iron in their blood...

rom DOES have some decent showings. i'd put him overall in the low herald category but his neutralizer IS a pis deux ex machina and it has some really good feats. again, he wouldn't have the chance to use it here, unless we allow for a potential quick draw, but given the starting distance i'd have to say mags would win that. in character i can't see rom having a chance here.

Kazenji

From what was shown in the Rom Annual for the IDw version, It was symbiotic.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Smurph
We're all talking about this Magneto, right?

If you think he's limited to effecting ferrous metal, you're just not paying attention. He certainly could f*ck up Superman Blue... if Supes was standing still or not fighting back.

Rom just doesn't have the capacity to counter Magneto before he dies.
If only Superman blue wasn't more skilled in energy manipulation than Magneto is, you may be right.

But yeah, he could damage Superman if he isn't fighting back.

DarkSaint85
Could Energy Superman control GL energy, IYO?

abhilegend
Yes, at that time they were only hard light constructs. Energy Superman controlled every type of energy he encountered, even magic and psychic energy.

Philosophía
Originally posted by abhilegend
Yes, at that time they were only hard light constructs. Energy Superman controlled every type of energy he encountered, even magic and psychic energy.

thumb up

http://tinyurl.com/y7gy24yg

GLs are useless against energy Superman.

Steve Zodiac
lol i've missed you whirly. thumb up

and cd--just because he fought glads doesn't mean he can challenge mags at all. he isn't as fast or strong as glads in any event, but more importantly, mags is a totally different kind of opponent, obviously. we'd also need proof the armor is non ferrous. i know for a fact the marvel armor was metal...

as far as affecting non-ferrous items--he has done so a couple different times. when he is shown affecting matter atomically, the macro magnetic properties of the substance wouldn't matter because as whirly said, atoms themselves are magnetic.

rom really is fooked. /shrugged Cheers old pal, I've missed you too. I'm suprised though you and Galen, had sussed on who this account was... :P

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.