Darth Malgus vs Count Dooku

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
1. Sabers

2. Force

3. All-Out

Who wins?

godemperortrump
This has been done to death.

Canon Dooku gets smashed, Legends Dooku loses with grace.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by godemperortrump
This has been done to death.

Canon Dooku gets smashed, Legends Dooku loses with grace. I'll do you to death in a minute, sonny boy.

Azronger
Dooku wins

Kurk
EU Dooku wins all rounds

1. He can handle RotS Anakin who's augmentation is beyond that of Malgus

2. Malgus is less mobile than Anakin and much more of a clunky fighter leaving plenty of openings for Dooku to exploit.

3. Force wise they're about the same. Malgus may or may not have more raw power attacks while Dooku has more tricks up his sleeve. Either way there's nothing Malgus can do that Dooku can't handle.

4. Malgus might win 1 or 2 rounds out of ten all-out if he has the environmental advantage. The only way he can win is if he wears down Dooku with powerful force attacks and breaks off from saber engagements frequently enough that Dooku doesn't get the edge.

MythLord
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I'll do you to death in a minute, sonny boy.

Every time you come back, I think you can't get more cringey... and then you do.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by MythLord
Every time you come back, I think you can't get more cringey... and then you do. ;D

Azronger
I'll do you to death in a minute, sonny boy.

Please don't, you'd jut give the Count a bad name.

McP
Dooku takes him

Azronger
Originally posted by Azronger
Please don't, you'd jut give the Count a bad name.

*just

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by Kurk
???

Kurk
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
??? Dooku was able to match his speed and at the very least contend with his strength early on. As you said yourself, his force reserves became depleted due to him having the lower connection with the force (midichlorian count).

TheNuisanceBird

Lol What?

DarthAnt66
Dooku was able to match his speed and at the very least contend with his strength early on. As you said yourself, his force reserves became depleted due to him having the lower connection with the force (midichlorian count).
His Force reserves became completed because he was unable to contend with Anakin's strength:

The Sith Lord spent lavishly of his reserve of the Force merely to meet these attacks without being cut in half.

---

Here's the first time Anakin's strength is pitted against Dooku:

The first overhand chop of Skywalker's blade slid off Dooku's instinctive guard. The second bent Dooku's wrist. The third flash of blue forced Dooku's scarlet blade so far to the inside that his own lightsaber scorched his shoulder, and Dooku was forced to give ground.

Dooku nearly got killed in three strikes.

And that is not a single instance. Dooku is never able to handle Anakin's full strength. He's constantly retreating / losing.

---

In regards to speed, Anakin's augmentation is being directed to extreme strength, not extreme speed, but he's faster nonetheless.

Kurk
His Force reserves became completed because he was unable to contend with Anakin's strength:

The Sith Lord spent lavishly of his reserve of the Force merely to meet these attacks without being cut in half.

---

Here's the first time Anakin's strength is pitted against Dooku:

The first overhand chop of Skywalker's blade slid off Dooku's instinctive guard. The second bent Dooku's wrist. The third flash of blue forced Dooku's scarlet blade so far to the inside that his own lightsaber scorched his shoulder, and Dooku was forced to give ground.

Dooku nearly got killed in three strikes.

And that is not a single instance. Dooku is never able to handle Anakin's full strength. He's constantly retreating / losing.

---

In regards to speed, Anakin's augmentation is being directed to extreme strength, not extreme speed, but he's faster nonetheless. So Dooku was able to meet the attacks. He was able to contend with Anakin's strength for a limited period of time. In other words, had he had an infinite reserve of force energy, he would have been able to continue to survive. He was not instantly over-powered and defeated like Sidious did to Maul or Savage.

What makes Anakin faster than Dooku?

Jmanghan
On topic, guys.

Who wins?

NewGuy01
that was on topic, not that anyone cares about the topic anyways

JKBart
u forgot to tell him to an hero

Greysentinel365
"The first overhand chop of Skywalker's blade slid off Dooku's instinctive guard. The second bent Dooku's wrist. The third flash of blue forced Dooku's scarlet blade so far to the inside that his own lightsaber scorched his shoulder, and Dooku was forced to give ground. "

Ant can you please stop posting this out of context please. Dooku had just come off of Kenobi and was in a bad position. Not to mention this was his first exchange with an all out Anakin after being lulled by their holding back. And so was surprised. Anakin can't beat Dooku in three strikes.

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by Greysentinel365
"The first overhand chop of Skywalker's blade slid off Dooku's instinctive guard. The second bent Dooku's wrist. The third flash of blue forced Dooku's scarlet blade so far to the inside that his own lightsaber scorched his shoulder, and Dooku was forced to give ground. "

Ant can you please stop posting this out of context please.

No, because I'm not.

There is no indication Dooku "bad position" changed the outcome of the situation compared to if he was in a good situation, so no.

That's wishful thinking, at best.

Once again, the text makes no distinction that this simply being the first time Dooku is handling Anakin's strength means he is performing less capable than he would be otherwise.

This is made clear that this is not a one-off because Dooku did not adapt or adjust to Skywalker's style - he simply retreated and prayed to simply fend him off.

If Dooku then proceeded to handle Skywalker fine, you'd have a point, but he only got increasingly worse-off, so no.

Certainly debatable. Here we have pre-peak-Invisible Hand Anakin nearly accomplishing it, and then Anakin has two major powerboosts.

It's on the table, at the very least, but nonetheless not a position I'm arguing here.

DarthAnt66
(Grey - addressed you on last page)

So Dooku was able to meet the attacks. He was able to contend with Anakin's strength for a limited period of time. In other words, had he had an infinite reserve of force energy, he would have been able to continue to survive. He was not instantly over-powered and defeated like Sidious did to Maul or Savage.

No. Dooku did not not have the physical strength to meet Anakin's attacks, so he had to use an unnaturally large amount of Force reserves simply to fend him off. This depleted Dooku.

There was never an instance where Dooku mustered enough strength to match full-strength Anakin's blows, even despite the Force reserves being called upon.

I'm not even going to bother this infinite resource nonsense, because any character with infinite resources would be operating far above their standard level in all respects.

Kurk, I like you obviously, but I have no clue how many times I have to clarify and correct you regarding this fight. There is nothing good for Dooku to take out of it.

They were stalemating in Dark Disciple, were they not? Anakin only grows vastly in power from then and Revenge of the Sith thanks to the Outer Rim Sieges.

Or, just going off the Revenge of the Sith novel, the book constantly has Anakin "appearing out of no-where," "staying right on top of him," being "all over him," and other strong words to emphasize Anakin's speed in the confrontation.

Of course, the distinction in speed is not as pronounced as strength, but that's because Anakin is a strength-based fighter, but I'd say it's logical to deduce Anakin at least has an edge in speed, no?

Greysentinel365

DarthAnt66
Your arguing matters the text doesn't state.

The text does not state that Dooku was tiring from the initial engagement.

The text does not state that Dooku's situation gave him an unfair advantage.

Demonstrate a situation where, under fair conditions, Dooku met Anakin's strength head-on.

Dun Moch aside, he never does.

The ****?

You're completely misunderstanding me.

Dooku never adjusts or adapts to the situation in a meaningful way - a way that he can actually win the fight. His entire strategy is simply prolonging for the fight by retreating and deflecting. The one kick aside, there are no counter-offensives launched by Dooku because he's wholly incapable of fighting Anakin head-on. Thus, as I said, Dooku's mindset was to "retreat and pray," for he had no prospect of victory.

Your red text is correct - Dooku was indeed able to land a kick on Anakin.

Your blue text... well your blue text just comes from no where.

No, Dooku would not have regained the initiative. That is, frankly, impossible. Anakin's strength is such that Dooku cannot withstand it head-on. If Dooku clashes against Anakin's blade, he will either get bent over (like the first three strikes) or be forced to yield ground. Besides, Anakin's an inherently aggressive fighter. There's no prospect Dooku is just going to be capable of launching a continuous offensive without Anakin trading blows with Dooku in return. In many respects, Anakin's defense is an offensive. Of course, the moment Anakin does launch said offensive, the battle will shift back into Anakin's favor as Dooku gives ground.

I never understand how people can come to this conclusion - a conclusion so wildly different from the implications and statements of the text.

No, Dooku would not have fared better. We see Dooku replenish himself and renew battle with Anakin, yet Dooku is still immediately forced into retreat. Besides, the fight was essentially a clean 1v1. Dooku was toying with the group before. I very much doubt much energy was wasted - at least not more so than the team with their acrobatics and whatnot. Directly thereafter, the time between the duo revealing their true forms and Dooku facing off against Anakin is, at best, a five to ten second event.

Kurk

This is made clear that this is not a one-off because Dooku did not adapt or adjust to Skywalker's style - he simply retreated and prayed to simply fend him off.

If Dooku then proceeded to handle Skywalker fine, you'd have a point, but he only got increasingly worse-off, so no.

Dooku turned the fight back to his favor after dun moching Anakin. What does that say about Anakin when his performance suffers at the drop of an insult? Either he has the most fragile self-esteem ever, or that performance against Dooku was an out of the ordinary "boost", if you will, requiring the utmost mental concentration. This is similar to Windu's performance against Sidious in that same novel.

Certainly debatable. Here we have pre-peak-Invisible Hand Anakin nearly accomplishing it, and then Anakin has two major powerboosts.

It's on the table, at the very least, but nonetheless not a position I'm arguing here.

Invisible hand performance is the most prime you're getting out of jedi Anakin Skywalker.

DarthAnt66
Dooku turned the fight back to his favor after dun moching Anakin. What does that say about Anakin when his performance suffers at the drop of an insult? Either he has the most fragile self-esteem ever, or that performance against Dooku was an out of the ordinary "boost", if you will, requiring the utmost mental concentration. This is similar to Windu's performance against Sidious in that same novel.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l1KVcdAZOLhspFAZy/source.gif

How many different angles do you try to play?

No. Throughout that entire fight, Anakin was explicitly restraining himself due to a deep rooted fear of what would happen if he embraces his anger.

The last time Anakin did that, he slaughtered the Tusken village, which was a pivotal moment for the character.

Dooku senses this and mocks Anakin, resulting in Anakin being so careful over how he's fighting so that he doesn't go dark that he effectively just breaks apart.

However, Palpatine goads Anakin into killing Dooku, thereby allowing Anakin to use the anger he feels without restraint and thereby operate at full power.

This "full power" would be the actual strength of Jedi Anakin, who only grows more powerful during Operation: Knightfall.

So, no. It was not a "boost." Calling it a "boost" means you just haven't read the novel. He was actually hindered and restraining himself.

You mean the Anakin that simply willed Dooku's hands come off, and they came off?

Agreed, but that's far, far beyond Dooku's capacity to deal with.

In Anakin's peak Invisible Hand performance, we begin to see a level of power that echoes that of what Anakin showed on Mortis.

Kurk
(Grey - addressed you on last page)

No. Dooku did not not have the physical strength to meet Anakin's attacks, so he had to use an unnaturally large amount of Force reserves simply to fend him off. This depleted Dooku.

There was never an instance where Dooku mustered enough strength to match full-strength Anakin's blows, even despite the Force reserves being called upon.

Hold on there, Bertha.

1.) We just had this discussion on physical force augmentation vs physical biological strength. What tells us that Anakin isn't working just as hard as Dooku in this fight? Nothing suggests that he was just casually working this along. Anakin's augmented strength at his "natural cruising speed RPM" may be more than that of Dooku's, but Dooku was able to increase his "RPMs" to a higher range to take his strength. Sure Dooku would "run out of fuel" faster at that higher RPM range while Anakin keeps at idle, but he's not completely helpless like Cin Drallig who got his defenses completely hacked through and arm chopped off.

2.) Makashi's philosophy says not to block an opponent's attack head-on, but rather to deflect and redirect. Dooku's saber bending down with Anakin's blows is a stylistic attribute. So of course there wouldn't be him matching Anakin blow for blow.

They were stalemating in Dark Disciple, were they not? Anakin only grows vastly in power from then and Revenge of the Sith thanks to the Outer Rim Sieges.

Dark Disciple was less than a year before RotS. There is nothing to indicate that he became faster than Dooku by RotS.

Or, just going off the Revenge of the Sith novel, the book constantly has Anakin "appearing out of no-where," "staying right on top of him," being "all over him," and other strong words to emphasize Anakin's speed in the confrontation.

Of course. Anakin is comparable to Dooku in speed, but not faster. Nothing indicates that speed was what gave Anakin the edge.

Of course, the distinction in speed is not as pronounced as strength, but that's because Anakin is a strength-based fighter, but I'd say it's logical to deduce Anakin at least has an edge in speed, no?

Nope.

DarthAnt66
(Expanding upon my last post).

Kurk, read this post. I think Sasukedc goes into detail explaining it: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=646351&pagenumber=3#post16344144

Kurk
So in the end, Dooku didn't instantly die to Anakin, right? So he should be able to handle Malgus, right? Unless we have Malgus on the level of RotS Anakin, there's no reason for Dooku to lose a majority.

DarthAnt66

Hold on there, Bertha.

1.) We just had this discussion on physical force augmentation vs physical biological strength. What tells us that Anakin isn't working just as hard as Dooku in this fight? Nothing suggests that he was just casually working this along. Anakin's augmented strength at his "natural cruising speed RPM" may be more than that of Dooku's, but Dooku was able to increase his "RPMs" to a higher range to take his strength. Sure Dooku would "run out of fuel" faster at that higher RPM range while Anakin keeps at idle, but he's not completely helpless like Cin Drallig who got his defenses completely hacked through and arm chopped off.

Because it's stated Anakin was holding back but steadily growing stronger.

Is that why him and Yoda or Mace Grievous clashed head-on? erm

I'm not familiar with the details of all the forms, but given Dooku changed to that premise only after his standard means of approach wasn't working, that's clearly not a stylistic attribute.

Further, the fact this change did nothing either shows Dooku's total helplessness in the situation.

Considering he grew vastly in power since then, and that said power increases speed, I'd say there is.

The edge? No.

One of many edges? I'd say so.

Rockydonovang
Grey, you seem to have forgot that logical inference isn't acceptable if not explicitly supported by the text.

DarthAnt66
Kbro, you have no basis to make any claims about "logical inference."

And, no, there's nothing even suggesting that Dooku was tired after the "play."

If Dooku gets tired over something he found laughably easy, we have bigger problems with Dooku...

Greysentinel365
>And, no, there's nothing even suggesting that Dooku was tired after the "play."

Read the novel DA

"However, only one death was in his plan, and this dumb-show was becoming tiresome. Not to mention tiring. The dark power that served him went only so far, and he was, after all, not a young man"

DarthAnt66
KEK. I'll actually concede on that specific word choice. I had the PDF of the book open, but given I was also doing Macoeconomics in the mix, it appears I got distracted and missed that.

Nonetheless, I retain my original point, or, if I reword, "nothing suggesting that Dooku was tired in any meaningful way," especially considering Anakin and Obi-Wan were doing far more energy-taxing acrobatics and whatnot and the text doesn't mention that down-the-line either. This idea that Dooku being tired is the source of all his issues is just absurd. Even if we look at the way the text describes his tiring, it doesn't convey any deathly exhaustion that now Anakin's capable of having an edge on him - or anything other than that he shouldn't just be wasting energy needlessly, which is true for almost any character in any situation.

And then, again, refer to the fact Dooku did replenish himself and still was forced to an immediate retreat, therefore demonstrating that the tiring had next-to-no impact.

DarthAnt66
For the record, if all responses can be halted until tomorrow afternoon, that would be greatly appreciated. wink

I'm never going to get this HW / studying done at this rate, rofl.

Kurk
For the record, if all responses can be halted until tomorrow afternoon, that would be greatly appreciated. wink

I'm never going to get this HW / studying done at this rate, rofl. Same here. Biology is a b1tch. smile

Rockydonovang
Kbro, you have no basis to make any claims about "logical inference."

But I just did make a claim, so it seems your opinion on what I have a basis to claim or not claim isn't really relevant.
And, no, there's nothing even suggesting that Dooku was tired after the "play."

As force reserves or not infinite and fighting expends energy, we can conclude Dooku did tire.

Again, logical inference.
If Dooku gets tired over something he found laughably easy, we have bigger problems with Dooku...
He's not taking them seriously and hence is wastefully expending energy, which again, would tire him.

Off course you can argue none of this matters, since newer canon has written the whole, "Anakin and Kenobi were toying with Dooku!" thing out of continuity.

Rockydonovang

I'm never going to get this HW / studying done at this rate, rofl.
Sorry, missed this, have fun.

DarthAnt66
Useful tip: generally arguments spread and evolve if various debates are taking place at the same time, so it's useful to read everything being said if you want to join into the conversation. Everything you just said has been exchanged between Grey and I already, including my rebuttal to it directly above your post.

darthblitz76
Light saber skill: Dooku 9/10
Force abilities: Dooku 7/10
Physical abilities: Malgus Stomp
Tactical abilities: Dooku Stomp

Overall, I would say Dooku wins this 8/10 times

Jmanghan
Originally posted by darthblitz76
Light saber skill: Dooku 9/10
Force abilities: Dooku 7/10
Physical abilities: Malgus Stomp
Tactical abilities: Dooku Stomp

Overall, I would say Dooku wins this 8/10 times Malgus > Dooku in Force.

Kurk
Malgus > Dooku in Force. based on...?

LordOfTheLight
Dooku devastates Malgus.

TenebrousWay
Either way.

Jmanghan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JzJCBGdCWw

AncientPower
I like how Anakin hitting Dooku so hard that his connection to the Force is getting KO'd and strains to regain it. Is being used to suggest he can handle Malgus. Epic mental gymnastics.

Nephthys
This gave me a chuckle.

There is no indication Dooku "bad position" changed the outcome of the situation compared to if he was in a good situation, so no.

That's wishful thinking, at best.

Um...

http://i.stack.imgur.com/kcEjs.jpg

Sure. wink

NewGuy01
holy shit it's neph no expression

how are you, neph?

Nephthys
I'm ok.

I got a cat.

NewGuy01
that's good. cats are good.

carthage
Originally posted by Nephthys
I'm ok.

I got a cat.

Man I thought you died

Damn it

godemperortrump
Cats suck

NTJack0
Originally posted by godemperortrump
Cats are magical Indeed they are.

MythLord
Dogs > Cats. BTW, nice to see you're still kicking, Neph.

S_W_LeGenD
Darth Malgus soundly.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.