Any martial arts enthusiasts here?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stigma
I myself like martial arts. Maybe not necessarily as an avid fan who watches every fight of my favourite fighter, but as a mean to have a well-conditioned and healthy body.

So, anyone here likes martial arts? If yes, for what reasons? If no, why?

Steve Zodiac
I have boxed from 12 and done Muay Thai from 19. I have dabbled in other things but they are the two I enjoy.

Stigma
Cool. I did boxing too. Possibly the best all-around work-out I have ever tried.

Steve Zodiac
Originally posted by Stigma
Cool. I did boxing too. Possibly the best all-around work-out I have ever tried. It is, it's a lot more fun than just going to a gym for aesthetic reasons and it teaches co-ordination like almost nothing else. Also after you have been punched in the face a few times you do lose your fear of being punched in the face to a point.

Stigma
^ Exactly.

riv6672
Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
...after you have been punched in the face a few times you do lose your fear of being punched in the face to a point.
^^^Agreed. My dad broke me of that fear by the time i was 7.

Anyway, boxing, wrestling, combatives here.

Silent Master
Mostly Taekwondo, Judo and karate.

Mindship
Tae kwon do, kwon bup, aikido, boxing. Not an expert in any of them, but have had training (in some more than others).

Stigma
Don't know what kwon bup is. Hmm.

BTW what would you say is the best martial art for self-defence?

Kurk
I did Okinawan Karate for about 10 years.

Mindship
Don't know what kwon bup is. Hmm. It was a style I studied while in graduate school in Fresno, CA. Combo hard/soft, 50/50 kicks/punches. Years later -- since I couldn't find anything about it back on the East Coast -- I figured it may've been a style my instructor made up. I remember once this tongue of flame coming out of the back room, and out stepped my instructor with some sort of flamethrower. "Kwon bup weapon," he said with a sly grin.

BTW what would you say is the best martial art for self-defence? As the saying goes, it's not the martial art, it's the martial artist who makes the difference. That aside, if I had to pick a style, I'm inclined toward aikido. But then, this generally defensive art may not be to the liking of someone who wants a more aggressive approach.

Kurk
MMA is best for overall self-defense.

For you Star Wars fans: Form VI Niman is the most well-rounded and isn't susceptible to weaknesses of other forms.

Stigma
Originally posted by Mindship
It was a style I studied while in graduate school in Fresno, CA. Combo hard/soft, 50/50 kicks/punches. Years later -- since I couldn't find anything about it back on the East Coast -- I figured it may've been a style my instructor made up. I remember once this tongue of flame coming out of the back room, and out stepped my instructor with some sort of flamethrower. "Kwon bup weapon," he said with a sly grin.
haha, nice.

As the saying goes, it's not the martial art, it's the martial artist who makes the difference. That aside, if I had to pick a style, I'm inclined toward aikido. But then, this generally defensive art may not be to the liking of someone who wants a more aggressive approach.
Yeah I can agree with that saying.

There is actually an Aikido school near me, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Stigma
Originally posted by Kurk

For you Star Wars fans: Form VI Niman is the most well-rounded and isn't susceptible to weaknesses of other forms.
Someone knows his Star Wars good... gooood

Adam_PoE
I have done Boxing, Kickboxing, and Taekwondo. My trainer does Boxing and Jiu-Jitsu, and is an MMA fighter.

Raisen
It was a style I studied while in graduate school in Fresno, CA. Combo hard/soft, 50/50 kicks/punches. Years later -- since I couldn't find anything about it back on the East Coast -- I figured it may've been a style my instructor made up. I remember once this tongue of flame coming out of the back room, and out stepped my instructor with some sort of flamethrower. "Kwon bup weapon," he said with a sly grin.

As the saying goes, it's not the martial art, it's the martial artist who makes the difference. That aside, if I had to pick a style, I'm inclined toward aikido. But then, this generally defensive art may not be to the liking of someone who wants a more aggressive approach.

Bulldog huh

Jmanghan
I'm really into HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts).

Swordplay mainly, but also Hand-to-Hand techniques.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.