"I am more powerful than the Chancellor; I can overthrow him!"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kurk
What is the validity of this claim made by Anakin? Overconfidence on his end or feasible when coupled with Sheev stating that he would become more powerful than both himself and Yoda?

Total Warrior

Emperordmb
NB4 "It's like Anakin in that TCW alternate ending thing where he leaves mortis and easily solos Yoda and Sheev. Knightfall Anakin's a beast and he's actually that powerful REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Kurk
Originally posted by Emperordmb
NB4 "It's like Anakin in that TCW alternate ending thing where he leaves mortis and easily solos Yoda and Sheev. Knightfall Anakin's a beast and he's actually that powerful REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" I think you meant "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

NewGuy01
It means

https://youtu.be/_-rP5iqx6T8?t=62

ares834

Nephthys
Well AotC Obi-Wan is as wise as Yoda and as powerful as Windu afterall.

samappo
Well, the thing I've always found extremely interesting, and what isn't really talked about at all, is that Palpatine KNOWS the Anakin is already close to the point where he's gonna be stronger than Sidious. So then the question arises: what was Sidious gonna do about it. Surely Anakin would be aware that his force potential and own power were enough.

Azronger
He was on Palpatine's level in power at the time, arguably higher, given his status as the most powerful Jedi at the start of Revenge of the Sith, and then growing in power throughout the book, and even more after joining the dark side. He was also ascribed "unparalleled Force powers" as of Operation: Knightfall in his databank entry in the old layout of Star Wars.com.

The reason it is arguable, is because Palpatine himself has quotes placing him above peak Anakin/Vader. There are his most powerful Sith and most powerful dark side practitioner quotes, which everyone is familiar with, and also his dialogue with Yoda - "Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us." - indicating the Sith apprentice was at the very most, their equal, but not their superior. One might simply dismiss this as a character opinion, but Sidious is quite well-informed on Vader's power ups even after leaving Coruscant, having sensed his student's command of the Force intensifying all the way on Mustafar.

Power is not everything, however. Regardless of who is the stronger of the two, there are still aspects of combat such as mastery and versatility to consider. It is for this reason I would not favor Vader's chances against Sidious at all. He is formidable enough that he would force Sidious to bring his full might to bear, but once the Dark Lord did, Vader would not be able to adequately counter, and his defences would be overwhelmed in short order.

godemperortrump
Anakin is likely more powerful at this point, but Palpatine is still smarter. I don't think he'd even give his Apprentice the opportunity to duel him.

That being said I think it would depend on who attacks who...

Unbowed
Originally posted by samappo
Well, the thing I've always found extremely interesting, and what isn't really talked about at all, is that Palpatine KNOWS the Anakin is already close to the point where he's gonna be stronger than Sidious. So then the question arises: what was Sidious gonna do about it. Surely Anakin would be aware that his force potential and own power were enough.
What he told Anakin he would do: work together and learn about midichlorian manipulation and then rule the galaxy together. And if Anakin was going to kill him, so be it.

This "Palpatine wanted to drain the whole galaxy" bit is all EU. Canon Palpatine was fully dedicated to the Sith agenda and was prepared to die at the hands of Maul and later Anakin once they surpassed him in power.

Kurk
Originally posted by godemperortrump
Anakin is likely more powerful at this point, but Palpatine is still smarter. I don't think he'd even give his Apprentice the opportunity to duel him.

That being said I think it would depend on who attacks who...
Yes, Vader may be more powerful, but he's a meathead. Sidious has the tactical, emotional, intelligence, knowledge, etc advantage while still being close enough in power to contend with him.

Sheev was also probably dedicated to sith/rule 2 agenda.

relentless1
Originally posted by samappo

it would appear that Sidious knew this and was ok with it so long as Anakin carried on the Sith rule. His comment to Yoda admitting that Vader would be more powerful than them both indicates this mindset

godemperortrump
Originally posted by Nephthys
Well AotC Obi-Wan is as wise as Yoda and as powerful as Windu afterall.
And gets wrecked by Fisto in sparring matches.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.