Altered Carbon (Netflix)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



Patient_Leech
Whoa...

qM7Eob4YFDQ

Dreampanther
Yes!

Can't wait. My brother and I are both big sci-fi fans, but I've read the books (and really enjoyed them) while he hasn't, so it's going to be interesting to watch the series and compare impressions.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, the show looks good. I hope I like it.

Surtur
Supposedly it was very expensive. I hope it was worth it.

Arachnid1
I like the synth/cyberpunk feel. If it warranted a show with a big budget, the books must be something special

Patient_Leech
New trailer for dis...

dhFM8akm9a4


It does look a lot like Blade Runner. I hope I find it more interesting than Blade Runner, though. It certainly looks like it will have a much quicker pace.

I think i spotted some projection/shapeshifting in the trailer and I hate that cliche. I hope there's not much of that.

Robtard
First I've heard of this, looks good/interesting. Will definitely watch the first couple eps.

-Pr-
I feel like there's been a lack of really good sci-fi as of late, so I'll definitely be watching this.

Dreampanther
Tonight!

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
New trailer for dis...

dhFM8akm9a4


It does look a lot like Blade Runner. I hope I find it more interesting than Blade Runner, though. It certainly looks like it will have a much quicker pace.

I think i spotted some projection/shapeshifting in the trailer and I hate that cliche. I hope there's not much of that.



If Netflix decided to go with this in stead of the Dredd/Megacity Series....I will be NOT HAPPY!
mad

samhain
^I doubt it, all reports suggest the Megacity One series is only in it's development stage.

Dreampanther
On episode 2 and freaking loving it.

BruceSkywalker
if im bored later, will give this a look

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Dreampanther
On episode 2 and freaking loving it.

Cool to hear. I hope to start this show at some point.

Dreampanther
Binged it all last night. Freaking loved it. Now I want MORE!

BackFire
Watched a couple episodes. It's visually incredible, especially on a 4k TV with HDR. The narrative is messy and the backstory is convoluted as all hell, and the amount of nudity is pretty laughable, at times feeling like a softcore porn masquerading as a Sci Fi show.

That said it's still fun, and with how good the show looks I'll probably finish it.

Mindset
There's full frontal nudity.

10/10

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Mindset
There's full frontal nudity.

10/10

Male?
Female?
Both?

Mindset
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Male?
Female?
Both? Both, but mainly female.

Only one dick.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by BackFire
Watched a couple episodes. It's visually incredible, especially on a 4k TV with HDR. The narrative is messy and the backstory is convoluted as all hell, and the amount of nudity is pretty laughable, at times feeling like a softcore porn masquerading as a Sci Fi show.

That said it's still fun, and with how good the show looks I'll probably finish it.

I watched some of episode one, and yeah, the production value is incredible. It looks phenomenal.

But do any likable and relatable characters ever emerge?

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I watched some of episode one, and yeah, the production value is incredible. It looks phenomenal.

But do any likable and relatable characters ever emerge?

Yes.

Dreampanther
This guy gets it.

"I can say without hesitation that it's a terrific show. Everything from the gorgeous production values to the excellent cast to the mystery-filled story and action-packed ultra-violence is amazing."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2018/02/03/the-critics-must-be-crazy-altered-carbon-is-a-fantastic-new-netflix-original/#60ee26c16963

BackFire
I'm nearing the end now, got 3 eps left. I do like the show overall so far, and it's gotten better as it went, but don't find myself terribly engaged by any of the characters. Like, I really don't care about any of them. It's also very unfocused, shifting its concentration from what topic to the next kind of on a whim.

The show is fun, and worth watching if you're into Sci Fi, but I definitely wouldn't call it terrific, it's promising, though. The premise holds a lot to be explored and I think season 2 will be better. And again, it's gorgeous to look at. The production values are out of this world. Even if the show was bad, it might still be worth watching just for the visuals and imagery.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by BackFire
I'm nearing the end now, got 3 eps left. I do like the show overall so far, and it's gotten better as it went, but don't find myself terribly engaged by any of the characters. Like, I really don't care about any of them. It's also very unfocused, shifting its concentration from what topic to the next kind of on a whim.

The show is fun, and worth watching if you're into Sci Fi, but I definitely wouldn't call it terrific, it's promising, though. The premise holds a lot to be explored and I think season 2 will be better. And again, it's gorgeous to look at. The production values are out of this world. Even if the show was bad, it might still be worth watching just for the visuals and imagery.

Yeah, I've watched the first 3 episodes and I don't really like it. I wanted to like the show so badly, but the story and characters just aren't engaging to me at all. The production is incredible and it seems like such a rich world with so many interesting possibilities, which is why it's a shame that the story and characters aren't engaging. It has amazing visuals, but it's still not enough to justify the mediocre narrative and total lack of likable characters. I think I'm done.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, I've watched the first 3 episodes and I don't really like it. I wanted to like the show so badly, but the story and characters just aren't engaging to me at all. The production is incredible and it seems like such a rich world with so many interesting possibilities, which is why it's a shame that the story and characters aren't engaging. It has amazing visuals, but it's still not enough to justify the mediocre narrative and total lack of likable characters. I think I'm done. Episode 4 is where it caught me. Try giving it one more episode. This show isn't The Expanse, but its fun.



I Just watched episode 6 and the ending of this one was the first scene that really bothered me. It just wasn't well written. There are a few other obvious plot contrivances that bothered me in previous episodes but I can overlook them.

Other than that, this show is solid. It reminds me of the Deus Ex games in a way. Badass gruff detective (Envoy in this case) piecing together clues in a dark cyberpunk setting. Still not a fan of Lt. Ortego though. She's been annoying since the beginning and hasn't really toned it down.

BruceSkywalker
only watched first two eps.. not all that good.. will watch the 3rd and maybe 4th ep to see if anything changes

Arachnid1
I got around to finishing this. It got better as it went on. In the beginning it was typical and hinging highly on it's cinematography (which was exceptional all throughout) but it caught me by episode 4 and actually got me to care about the characters and main mystery enough to actually get invested.

Unfortunately, the plot contrivances were pretty glaring. The center mystery and how it unfolded was done pretty well except for what is IMO one of the biggest aspects of a mystery story; the killers motivation made NO fking sense. The twist as to who it was, why he/she was involved with Bancroft and how he/she went about it was well done since it was set up with clues all throughout, but there's no way to really guess it outside of pure luck because the killer had no real driving motive (well, he/she did have motive, but it makes no sense in any way and felt like it was thrown in to create false drama). The worst part is I hear the book did a better job with this part because the killer was a completely different person with an actually sensible motivation. All they had to do was stick closer to the source material. The side mystery concerning Lizzie was more well done and made sense though, so there's that.

Aside from all that, the main characters arc was kind of strange. He went from not giving a shit about anyone to being stereotypically heroic pretty quickly and for no obvious reason. That was weird.

In the end I liked most of the characters and antagonists (and how they all wrapped up), but they fumbled the biggest part of a mystery story so I can't rate it super high. If that was better done it'd probably be a solid 8-8.5 for me but that combined with the mentioned contrivances knock it down to a 6.5. It's enjoyable, but a bit too mindless at times to be a good mystery.

In other news, they already greenlit the second season. I liked this enough to tune in for that so hopefully they do a better job with the mystery.

TheVaultDweller
I finished this last night. Thought it was solid overall, but unnecessarily complicated in parts.

One thing I am a bit concerned about for the future is the situation with casting. Based on how S1 ends, I don't know how many of these people we'll be getting back, and the performances were among the stronger parts of the show IMO.

carthage
Loved all the characters so far
A few of the episodes stalled like when they got Kovacs stuck into that virch torture chamber, but I genuinely like these characters and I wanna check out the books now

Arachnid1
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I finished this last night. Thought it was solid overall, but unnecessarily complicated in parts.

One thing I am a bit concerned about for the future is the situation with casting. Based on how S1 ends, I don't know how many of these people we'll be getting back, and the performances were among the stronger parts of the show IMO. From what I heard, the second book has no returning characters other than the central character who doesn't even have the same sleeve so he's going to be recasted anyways.

samhain
^They can get around that if they want though.

Dreampanther
Altered Carbon renewed for Season 2. Anthony Mackie cast as the new Takeshi Kovacs.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/altered-carbon-renewed-season-2-anthony-mackie-cast-replaces-joel-kinnaman-takeshi-kovacs-netflix-series-1202434841/

carthage
**** yeah
I plan on rewatching season 1

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.