Are jews white?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Been following Robert Kirkman's comic history, and the last show was about blacks in comics in general, and Milestone comics in particular. One thing I noticed was they kept saying the comic industry is owned/written by white men, and they kept bringing up Jack Kirby and Stan Lee as examples. One guy even said "These two white men.. Jewish men!"..

I thought "white" referred to "European descent", while ethnically Jewish was something else entirely. In fact, I've even heard it argued it's insulting to call one white, as well as incorrect..

In terms of census and such, how do they define the subject?

dadudemon
http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2013/10/jewish-american-full-report-for-web.pdf

Page 46.

94% "net Jewish" people identify as white.

For the purposes of the United States Census, that would mean they report themselves as white which should directly answer your question and we can close the thread.

Afro Cheese
LouktoeCLvQ

Patient_Leech
They can identify as whatever they want!!!

Emperordmb
Depends on what's useful to the progressive stack at the time. Are they trying to slam neonazis for antisemitism? Or are they bitching about how privileged people in Israel are?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
LouktoeCLvQ

Couldn't make it all the way through. Angry screaming and yelling talking over each other just doesn't work.

Jesus was a Jew.

Jesus was a Galilean Semite.

He would look similar to this:

http://www.beirutnightlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/DSC_0598-lores.jpg

And this image is passed around a lot:

https://i.imgur.com/xaTtOrp.jpg

Scribble
I like that bottom left interpretation of Jesus, which is meant to be a reconstruction of an average man from his time and place. Jesus reminds me of Socrates. Small crazy dude just knocking around, shouting stuff, revealing hypocrisy and generally setting the world to rights before getting executed for being too anti-establishment and forward-thinking. That 'scientific' interpretation of his image definitely suits his personality better.

(Apologies for the OT post)

Surtur
It depends on who you ask. I'd say yes, while a very small portion of people in this country would be offended if Jews were considered white.

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by dadudemon
Couldn't make it all the way through. Angry screaming and yelling talking over each other just doesn't work.

Jesus was a Jew.

Jesus was a Galilean Semite.

He would look similar to this:

http://www.beirutnightlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/DSC_0598-lores.jpg

And this image is passed around a lot:

https://i.imgur.com/xaTtOrp.jpg I never doubt the wisdom of street preachers rocking WCW costumes.

pR99a0Jf7hM

Surtur
IMO it would be hilarious if Satan was real.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Surtur
IMO it would be hilarious if Satan was real.

Me too. I like the Christian Mythology and the Lucifer Lore.

Steve Zodiac
All I know is Adam Duritz of the Counting Crows (A Jew) Sang how he imagined because no one was playing them on MTV at the time people coloured him in with a white skin from hearing him on the radio.

You know, I thought that someone would notice
I thought somebody would say something if I was missing
Can't you see me?
Come on, color me in
Come on, color me in
Come on, color
Come on, come on, come on, come on
Give me your blue rain
Give me your black sky
Give me your green eyes
Come on, give me your white skin

NewGuy01
who cares

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Depends on what's useful to the progressive stack at the time. Are they trying to slam neonazis for antisemitism? Or are they bitching about how privileged people in Israel are?
There's nothing wrong with progressives doing either.

Raisen
About to eat something called the impossible breakfast

Surtur
Originally posted by dadudemon
Me too. I like the Christian Mythology and the Lucifer Lore.

Satan sure doesn't seem to bad compared to God.

Firefly218
Original jews originated in Iraq but most American Jews come from places like Poland or west Russia or something. L

Surtur
They killed Jesus god damn it. Dude spent 3 days in a cave. Not cool, it didn't even have wifi.

#NeverForget

Firefly218

Surtur

cdtm
Originally posted by NewGuy01
who cares

I'm just trying to understand the context, and if the narrative of "white ownership" of comics is true, or a sensationalistic headline to draw in viewers.

Maybe the comics industry really was owned by mostly white people, I don't know. Superman was created by two jewish men, and Kirby and Stan are two legends who happen to be jewish.

And a narrative of jews oppressing blacks simply doesn't exist in social justice discourse (Malcolm X and his rant notwithstanding). On the contrary, whites are known to have oppressed jewish people (W.A.S.P.'s and such.)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.