Best manga ever made

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
In overall terms from quality, popularity, success, impact.

For my money, Ranma 1/2 is the definitive top shelf classic. Nothing else even comes close. Yeah, Dragon Ball made more money and had more cross cultural penetration, but so does hentai..

NewGuy01
Haven't read nearly enough manga series to be qualified to judge which is the best of them all, but Pandora Hearts comes to mind for being excellent around the board.

Dragon Ball wasn't really even very good, let alone the GOAT.

carver9
Dragonball. All of them.

NewGuy01
How many exactly do you think there are? laughing out loud

RealityWarper
Originally posted by cdtm
In overall terms from quality, popularity, success, impact.

For my money, Ranma 1/2 is the definitive top shelf classic. Nothing else even comes close. Yeah, Dragon Ball made more money and had more cross cultural penetration, but so does hentai..

laughing out loud

You can add Hokuto No Ken and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to the list. smile

cdtm
Originally posted by RealityWarper
laughing out loud

You can add Hokuto No Ken and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to the list. smile thumb up thumb up

Nephthys
20th Century Boys

AuraAngel
Depends on who you ask and what genre we're talking about.

Safe bet is either Dragonball or One Piece.

Jmanghan
Berserk.

Damborgson
Death note.

-hides-

NewGuy01
what a filthy casual hmph

TethAdamTheRock
Dragonball

Dark-Kenshin
Hmm . . . lemme see . . .

Berserk. No question.

cdtm
Originally posted by Dark-Kenshin
Hmm . . . lemme see . . .

Berserk. No question.

It's up there. Kind of dragging lately though.

Not just because of the very slow release times, but also because not much progress is being made on the main plot, and the tone's kind of shifted from grim-dark fantasy to more conventional fantasy stuffs..

The nightmare fuel is still there, but Guts is a totally different character now, and there's mer-girls, chibi-witch's and faeries muddying the overall tone..

Dark-Kenshin
Originally posted by cdtm
It's up there. Kind of dragging lately though.

Not just because of the very slow release times, but also because not much progress is being made on the main plot, and the tone's kind of shifted from grim-dark fantasy to more conventional fantasy stuffs..

The nightmare fuel is still there, but Guts is a totally different character now, and there's mer-girls, chibi-witch's and faeries muddying the overall tone.. Yeah, I've actually bashed one of the recent chapters for this (the one with all the giant penis monsters). The slow release is pretty inexcusable in an era where someone can put out 900 chapters in under 20 years. Berserk has been going on since the 90s, so wtf Miura?

Galan007
Akira is the first manga I ever read, and I still enjoy the hell out of it to this day... I also enjoy OPM for its fantastic artwork, if nothing else.

The original Dragon Ball manga was good, though hardly the best 'ever'. From a storytelling standpoint, the DBZ manga is shit by comparison.

Kento
Hunter x Hunter no doubt in my mind.

Dark-Kenshin
Originally posted by Kento
Hunter x Hunter no doubt in my mind. HxH is high up there for me, but yet another manga in which I get annoyed at due to the hiatuses. sad

cdtm
Isn't it finished?

Kento
HxH is high up there for me, but yet another manga in which I get annoyed at due to the hiatuses. sad He has a reason at least.. bad health problems.Originally posted by cdtm
Isn't it finished? Not by a long shot.

Bentley
Hokuto no Ken. You can tell they made the plots on the go, but they kept it pretty enjoyable.

Pluto is amazing with one of the better storytellings and cohesion I've seen in this media.

Jmanghan
Yeah, I've actually bashed one of the recent chapters for this (the one with all the giant penis monsters). The slow release is pretty inexcusable in an era where someone can put out 900 chapters in under 20 years. Berserk has been going on since the 90s, so wtf Miura? You guys do know Miura has had health issues lately, right?

The dude's health has been declining for quite awhile now and only seems to be getting worse.

Kazenji
For me its between Berserk or Vagabond.

cdtm
Originally posted by Bentley
Hokuto no Ken. You can tell they made the plots on the go, but they kept it pretty enjoyable.

Pluto is amazing with one of the better storytellings and cohesion I've seen in this media.

I should re-read that. smile

Yes, it's an amazing manga. Only real criticism is how Raoh started getting all this back story way at the end, after the conflict was long since resolved.

You could tell he was the writers favorite character by how he kept going back, it just didn't make much sense narratively (Should have made a special chapter or something..)

Bentley
They went deep in the Raoh worship indeed.

The manga is essentially "what if Superman was the Punisher" with a mix of "dem martial arts".

AuraAngel
Thought this thread was more objective based since you mentioned popularity like a nerd. uhuh

My favorite manga by far is Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic.

cdtm
Originally posted by AuraAngel
Thought this thread was more objective based since you mentioned popularity like a nerd. uhuh

My favorite manga by far is Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic.

lol, tried to touch all the bases.

I'm not really one for popularity being a criteria, but in every discussion of "best ever" lists on westling forums, they put heavy emphesis on gate reciepts (Or "putting asses in seats).

Of course, that's a smark talking from the perspective of someone who looks at it as a business, instead of escapism or art.

But you could apply the same standard to manga, and how well it does.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.