*spoilers* do you like Disney's answer to Rey's parents?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

redpill
*spoilers* do you like Disney's answer to Rey's parents?

as stated by Kylo Ren in Last Jedi?

or would you prefer Daisy is a skywalker, a kenobi, a palpatine, or a daughter of some other force sensitive like ezra or kanaan or even quinlan vos - psychometry

would you prefer Luke explaining to Daisy why he abandoned her on jakku

or leia explaining she had another child with han solo and she was rey

and after kylo turned leia han and luke decided together to leave her on jakku to hide her from kylo

or kylo explaining to rey they're brother and sister

or obi wan as a force ghost explaining shes a kenobi

or even luke telling rey shes the daughter of palpatine

or ezra or kanaan or even quinlan

while disney can say anything they want to say, i would prefer rey is quinlan's daughter which explains her power of psychometry on luke's lightsaber

disney's actual answer seems a little like a cop out.

ares834
Yes. Rey being a "nobody" was perfect.

Dark-Kenshin
Better than her being Luke or Leia's daughter. That would've been cliche as hell.

JediRobin23

ares834
That's always been the case though. Palpatine's parents were "randoms". Obi-Wan's parents were "randoms". And so on and so on.

Bashar Teg
apart from anakin and luke, there is no film-canon confirmation of any relatives among the jedi. also it never was even implied that special genetic lineage was required to be powerful with the force, only that inheritance of power can occur.

Rebel95
I just think in the context of the other Star Wars movies, it's unrealistic that a random force sensitive can have raw power that rivals that of the grandson of the Chosen One.

Sith Master X
I'm ok with this, however, it doesn't really fit in well with what Abrams was setting up in TFA...a problem when one writer/director ships the series off to another writer/director.

I honestly feel like in TFA there was every intention of setting REY up to be a Skywalker. I really think that's where JJ was going with it.

One line in particular from MAZ seems completely out of place now "I have lived long enough to see the same eyes in many people. I see your eyes, I know your eyes." That line was written with importance to it and to allude that she was related to someone important....no question about it.

Also, the lightsaber calling to Rey.....her ability to beat an enemy with years of training. It just feels like everything was being set up for REY to be either the daughter of Luke or Leia.

JediRobin23
Originally posted by Rebel95
I just think in the context of the other Star Wars movies, it's unrealistic that a random force sensitive can have raw power that rivals that of the grandson of the Chosen One.

Yes. Episode 1-9. Have respect for the sky walkers lineage.....other movies, do whatever...

In ESB, Palpatine senses a new enemy, a force being (Luke) that is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker......

Darth Thor

Rebel95

redpill
why did luke lightsaber which belong to his father anakin call out to a random person?

why was rey able to get hold of anakin's lightsaber over anakin's own grand son ben solo

makes no sense to me sad

Bashar Teg
i just assume it's the will of the force reaching out to rey aa opposed to a skywalker family talisman. i like it better as well.

Darth Luminous
Originally posted by Rebel95

Unless she's a new Chosen One...

Lord Lucien
F*ck those other specific Star Wars movies and their Chosen One bullshit. Leave that tired garbage tripe in the past.

queeq
I think the whole point of Rey's parents being nobodies is that Force users can pop up anywhere. The ways of the Force are once again mysterious. And that is fine.

Darth Luminous
Force users could always pop up anywhere, that was the whole point of the Jedi finding children to induct into the order in the PT.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Darth Luminous
Force users could always pop up anywhere, that was the whole point of the Jedi finding children to induct into the order in the PT.

Right? I don't see why people feel this is suddenly some new and special thing.

Though I find the explanation for her power growing to be a little dry and unimaginative.

JediRobin23

Zenwolf
Well given that Rian wrote the script by the seat of his pants(apparently), that doesn't sound surprising and yet again we could get changes in EP 9 which make 8 just pointless.

Then again 8 also changed or dismissed things from 7 so that wouldn't be surprising.

JediRobin23

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Right? I don't see why people feel this is suddenly some new and special thing.

Though I find the explanation for her power growing to be a little dry and unimaginative. If Force users could be anyone, then that means there's nothing inherently special about that person to merit the gift of Force use. And there's nothing an insecure audience member hates more than being subversively told their fantasy stand-in (the Jedi/Sith characters) aren't inherently special. Because that means they couldn't be either.

Sith Master X
I take no issues with Rey being a nobody. The only thing is that TFA really doesn't build it up to be that way. Not that it's a huge deal I guess, because it isn't, but the movie does build her up to be someone.

(Maz has lived long enough to see the same eyes in many people, she knows Rey's eyes....the lightsaber was first Anakin's, then Lukes....and now it calls to you." During the force vision scene after the Knights of Ren are standing in the rain over the dead bodies we see Rey presumably being abandoned on Jakku...) It feels like there's all some huge connection.

It could be that I'm just seeing what I want to see, but after TLJ, which I did in fact love, it feels like so many things from TFA were all for nothing.

queeq
I agree with that. There doesn't seem to be any kind of show runner here. Like Rian jutted changed the things he didn't like some things JJ set up so clearly to be fulfilled.

But maybe 'subverting' expectations is the new Disney policy. And that is also why movies are not going to win from tv series. TV series can't do that, it'll get stale quickly. They actually have to work from story and characters.

Let's see how JJ is going to 'adjust' Rian's work now.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Sith Master X
It could be that I'm just seeing what I want to see, but after TLJ, which I did in fact love, it feels like so many things from TFA were all for nothing. I'm in favour of that. As enjoyable as TFA was, it still felt like it was just going to be one of those "Hero becomes who they who were meant to be" destiny stories. I've seen those, don't want another. At least in this franchise.

I don't mind the set-up that it's going to be a special person learning how special they are by dint of birth... and the rug gets pulled and they learn the bleak truth that they're a nobody... who still becomes someone special. Set-up, fall down, get back up anyway. Cool beans.

The actual reason-- that Abrams' script was essentially a standalone work in a planned trilogy, leaving Johnson to write his own follow-up sans an ultimate goal-- notwithstanding.

queeq
A bit like the OT.

Except Empire is a masterpiece.

Lord Lucien
Anyone else finding the overwhelming antipathy toward Luke's fleeting moment of temptation about Ben to be just a smidge... stupid? Like... people seem to REALLY need Luke to be utterly and irrevocably just and pure post-RotJ. Like that one instance of resistance with the Emperor means he'll never ever ever ever have another moment of doubt or weakness again... somehow? No matter how brief it was, he needs to be f*cking perfect?

And here I was thinking people didn't want a Mary Sue.

Darth Thor

JediRobin23

JediRobin23

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.