The Luke vs Rey Duel...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
https://the123movies.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi/

You can watch it here at 1:17:50.

Any notion Rey beat Luke is just... wrong.

They sparred. Rey attacked Luke as Luke blocked. Luke disarmed Rey. Rey pulls out a lightsaber.

Lord Stark
Lol were people saying Rey beat Luke?

LordOfTheLight
No surprise. He is a lot weaker than expected, but people are far too harsh on him even considering that.

Rebel95
Yeah it's pretty obvious that Rey didn't beat him. Luke disarmed her, and he wasn't even trying he was just defending himself.

relentless1
Luke beat her ass casually and if he still had a saber and wanted to he'd have torn her apart

Rebel95
thumb up

Dark-Kenshin
Didn't care for the scene since it still came off as Rey putting him into a submissive position in the end. Would've been better if Luke then proceeded to disarm Rey barehanded before getting her in a half nelson hold and letting her know she still has much to learn.

FreshestSlice
I have a feeling if it were for anything but making Luke look bad, this would somehow be a negative against the character involved, but because we're trying to hold on to some semblance Luke being this amazing fighter, this totally doesn't count as an L for him.

It's really not even that big a deal, but it most certainly is a "loss."

DarthDuelist9
I don't get why people would ever see this as a negative point for Luke, he's only casually fending Rey off and is taken aback by her lightsaber pulling on him.

Nephthys
Who cares, the scene works as Luke being forced to reveal his shame after lying about it like a coward and it wouldn't work any other way. Only by being forced into a position of vulnerability and humility is Luke able to admit his wrong.

If you want fanwanky nonsense where Luke clowns on everyone effortlessly and the galaxy bends over backwards to remind you of how super special above everyone Luke is all the time and is always 100% moral and right at everything, the old EU has more than enough of that to satisfy anyone.

Rey kicked an old, broken mans ass because he was an old broken man who hadn't done shit for a decade.

samappo
Hang on, I did not see it like this.

Firstly, Luke disarmed Rey without even trying.

Secondly, I don't think Luke was "surprised" by the lightsaber being drawn. Wasn't it obvious that Luke was just ****ing scared of the Skywalker lightsaber? Even when he falls, he uses the force to casually stop himself from falling hard on the ground.

To me it just looks like Luke has issues and that lightsaber brings them out.

Kurk
Luke came off as being surprised by her attack on top of appearing a bit rusty with his sparring technique. Definitely not a show of dominance by Rey.

Big Gerald
Originally posted by Kurk
Luke came off as being surprised by her attack on top of appearing a bit rusty with his sparring technique. Definitely not a show of dominance by Rey.

Being rusty is no excuse. That just means he is not a top tier combatant.

Kurk
Originally posted by Big Gerald
Being rusty is no excuse. That just means he is not a top tier combatant. Yeah, not going to buy that. Isolating yourself on an island to die without presumably practicing your technique in decades isn't going to leave you in tip-top shape for a surprise attack.

Big Gerald
Originally posted by Kurk
Yeah, not going to buy that. Isolating yourself on an island to die without presumably practicing your technique in decades isn't going to leave you in tip-top shape for a surprise attack.

You wouldn't think that lack of practice would manifest in an actual combat situation?

LordOfTheLight
The only reason Luke didn't eviscerate her was because he was entirely defensive. As it is, he pretty handily dominated her.

Originally posted by relentless1
Luke beat her ass casually and if he still had a saber and wanted to he'd have torn her apart

The Lost
Originally posted by Nephthys
Who cares, the scene works as Luke being forced to reveal his shame after lying about it like a coward and it wouldn't work any other way. Only by being forced into a position of vulnerability and humility is Luke able to admit his wrong.

If you want fanwanky nonsense where Luke clowns on everyone effortlessly and the galaxy bends over backwards to remind you of how super special above everyone Luke is all the time and is always 100% moral and right at everything, the old EU has more than enough of that to satisfy anyone.

Rey kicked an old, broken mans ass because he was an old broken man who hadn't done shit for a decade.

https://i.imgur.com/f7frwiV.gif

|King Joker|
Luke was pretty thoroughly beating Rey during the course of the fight and only "lost" when Rey pulled the lightsaber out. It's obviously not a legitimate demonstration of superiority from Rey, lol.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by |King Joker|
Luke was pretty thoroughly beating Rey during the course of the fight and only "lost" when Rey pulled the lightsaber out. It's obviously not a legitimate demonstration of superiority from Rey, lol.
Yeah kek

The Lost
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
https://the123movies.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi/

You can watch it here at 1:17:50.

Any notion Rey beat Luke is just... wrong.

They sparred. Rey attacked Luke as Luke blocked. Luke disarmed Rey. Rey pulls out a lightsaber.

The only hit Rey got was when she whacked Luke on the head as he was walking off. Luke hit her during their little duel, disarmed her, and easily dodged several of her attacks. What ended the fight was Luke's shock at her pulling her LS on him, in which he slowly floated onto some rocks.

Rey got desperate after being thoroughly outperformed. It's obvious. She didn't beat him.

Prof. T.C McAbe
And Luke had more then enough time to consider if he uses the force against her or not. Thanks for the movie. Now I would say, from what we have seen, Luke> Snoke > Kylo > Rey. A Snoke vs Luke fight would have been awesome though. Anyway, the movie isn't as bad as I expected, a solid 2/5.

relentless1
lol 2/5 IS bad thats only 40% bro laughing out loud

Darth Thor

relentless1
most definitely, Luke was in control the whole time or did everyone miss how he stopped his fall with the force??

Rage.Of.Olympus
Hated this stupid scene that further assassinated Luke's character.

We shouldn't have to justify this shit. Luke should've whooped her stick to the side casually and beat her ass like the little nobody she is. She's had a lightsabre and trained against a rock for 3 days. Everything we know about this universe cements skill/hard work/training as the greatest asset with a strong force potential. But Rey might as well be Yoda. Blah blah he wasn't trying too hard, he was in control etc. Sounds like some bullshit rationalizing. She embarrassed a weak old man shameful of his past. It wasn't Luke Skywalker, but it's what she did. It's f*cking stupid. Never left a movie more irritated and I'm a Thor fan that had to sit through the Dark World. God.

ares834
There is nothing to justify. It's wasn't even a fight. Luke was beating her ass casually until she wiped out a saber. Had he wanted to, I have no doubt that he could have beat her ass then as well but he was simply shocked that she would resort to such aggression so quickly.

Rebel95
Originally posted by ares834
There is nothing to justify. It's wasn't even a fight. Luke was beating her ass casually until she wiped out a saber. Had he wanted to, I have no doubt that he could have beat her ass then as well but he was simply shocked that she would resort to such aggression so quickly.
thumb up I don't understand why this is even an issue

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by relentless1
lol 2/5 IS bad thats only 40% bro laughing out loud

Yeah 4/10, the same rating I gave TPM. But I expected an 2/10 tbh.

samappo
ares is correct here. It doesn't mean anything. If Luke was so "shocked" or "beaten", why was he able to use the force to prevent himself from falling to the ground roughly.

Darth Truculent
The scene was not about the fight IMO - it had a deeper meaning. The Skywalker line has always had anger management issues. When Luke disarmed Rey, she lost her temper and pulled the lightsaber and forced Luke to the ground. He could have easily crushed her without a weapon, but why didn't he?

There is a possible message in the scene . . .

The Ellimist
Does anyone seriously think that the fight would have had the same outcome if serious Luke who hadn't cut himself from the Force and hid on an island in shame to die? No? Then it isn't good for anything but an extreme lower limit on his abilities.

The Lost
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Hated this stupid scene that further assassinated Luke's character.

We shouldn't have to justify this shit. Luke should've whooped her stick to the side casually and beat her ass like the little nobody she is. She's had a lightsabre and trained against a rock for 3 days. Everything we know about this universe cements skill/hard work/training as the greatest asset with a strong force potential. But Rey might as well be Yoda. Blah blah he wasn't trying too hard, he was in control etc. Sounds like some bullshit rationalizing. She embarrassed a weak old man shameful of his past. It wasn't Luke Skywalker, but it's what she did. It's f*cking stupid. Never left a movie more irritated and I'm a Thor fan that had to sit through the Dark World. God.

Yet, the only rationalizing legitimately sounds like it is coming from you to paint it as Luke's character being "assassinated."

I urge you to watch that scene again, where Luke is in complete control of the fight. He gets bonked on the head and when they engage, he not only hits her once effortlessly (if that were a saber, she's dead) but deflects her attacks with ease and disarms her, forcing her to elevate the fight by getting angry and pulling a lightsaber towards her and that maneuver shocks Luke, which ends the fight.

In not a single moment when they are dueling does Rey even remotely have the upper hand.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.