Minor annoyances with TLJ (spoilers)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kurk
1. Poe prank calling Hux felt incredibly out of place for the overall atmosphere/theme of the movie. This is below Rebels tier sh1t.

2. In the bombers, how da fuq was the sister's chick not killed by the vacuum of space? I didn't see any ray-shields or sh1t.

3. Idgaf about the "force". There is no way in hell that Leia survived the vacuum of space for that long. Cell lysis would've occurred instantaneously as water crystals expanded in her tissues. They should have killed her then and there.

4. There were plenty of small details that just didn't seem appropriate in the world of SW. For example, the first order uniform being ironed by the droid. You would think that they would've developed synthetic fibers by now that never wrinkled. There are others that I can't remember at the moment

5. Why did they make Phasma look pathetic again? Why?

6. Why did the executioners feel the need to raise their blades up over their shoulders' like they're splitting wood? It's a laser beam. Just let it drop and they're dead. No muscle needed.

7. They fked up Yoda's way of speaking. Sentences were way too complicated for him and they didn't use anastrophe appropriately. Also why do they love making him look like a senile fool?

Anything else? I need to go to bed so excuse my poor grammar? I'll add later if I remember.

UCanShootMyNova
1. Female general with dyed hair putting a man in his place and talking about how they stand up for the "oppressed."

2. Dialogue with actual substance substituted for oneliners in an attempt to get cheap laughs from the audience.

Seriously, there's a way to do comedy. Take Luke and Han's conversation about the Falcon.

Luke: What a piece of junk!

Han: She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid.

The exchange is funny but it doesn't feel forced because you can easily imagine a real life scenario like the one the scene portrays where a friend defends an old junker they've put a lot of work into. Compare that to Rey's deadpan delivery of comments like: "I've seen your schedule. You're not busy."

It's not natural. It's a comment made solely to evoke laughter from an audience.

3. Inconsistencies created simply to give the audience fanservice ( Yoda summoning lightning/SJW general destroying a fleet with a hyperdrive jump ).

4. The villains of the story completely neutered as valid threats or characters we can take take seriously ( Snoke dressing down Kylo and Kylo slamming Hux into walls every other scene ).

Compare Tarkin in ANH with Hux in TLJ. Tarkin is established as competent and in command even possessing authority over the likes of Vader. Hux can't even deal with a single rebel who refuses to get his name right and insults his mother.

5. Carrying out character assassination on one of the most belowed characters in the franchise.

6. Throwing in useless animal sidekicks that are only there to make you laugh but fail at even that.

7. Fisher's horribly delivered lines and stiff acting ( yes, I know I've just committed blasphemy ).

8. Wasting the first half of the movie on watching Luke spear fish and aliens play slots and then having a hundred major events occur one after in the latter half giving the audience little to no time to process what's happening and what these events mean for the story.

9. Asian girl asserting her dominance on a male because, in her estimation, he's being selfish by leaving the ship to prevent somebody he cares about from coming back to a dangerous situation when she literally keeps him from sacrificing himself at the end of the movie because "he shouldn't fight out of hate" but rather "sacrifice for love." Not only do her feelings for Finn come out of left field but she actively contradicts her former position and would have potentially caused the deaths of thousands simply because what Finn was going to do personally offended her/went against her morales.

10. Legitimately copied dialogue from ESB and RotJ line for line replacing the names of certain characters.

"I can sense the conflict within you."

Did Rey say that to Kylo or did Luke say that to Vader? Trick question, lol.

Lord Stark
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
1. Female general with dyed hair putting a man in his place and talking about how they stand up for the "oppressed."

2. Dialogue with actual substance substituted for oneliners in an attempt to get cheap laughs from the audience.

Seriously, there's a way to do comedy. Take Luke and Han's conversation about the Falcon.

Luke: What a piece of junk!

Han: She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid.

The exchange is funny but it doesn't feel forced because you can easily imagine a real life scenario like the one the scene portrays where a friend defends an old junker they've put a lot of work into. Compare that to Rey's deadpan delivery of comments like: "I've seen your schedule. You're not busy."

It's not natural. It's a comment made solely to evoke laughter from an audience.

3. Inconsistencies created simply to give the audience fanservice ( Yoda summoning lightning/SJW general destroying a fleet with a hyperdrive jump ).

4. The villains of the story completely neutered as valid threats or characters we can take take seriously ( Snoke dressing down Kylo and Kylo slamming Hux into walls every other scene ).

Compare Tarkin in ANH with Hux in TLJ. Tarkin is established as competent and in command even possessing authority over the likes of Vader. Hux can't even deal with a single rebel who refuses to get his name right and insults his mother.

5. Carrying out character assassination on one of the most belowed characters in the franchise.

6. Throwing in useless animal sidekicks that are only there to make you laugh but fail at even that.

7. Fisher's horribly delivered lines and stiff acting ( yes, I know I've just committed blasphemy ).

8. Wasting the first half of the movie on watching Luke spear fish and aliens play slots and then having a hundred major events occur one after in the latter half giving the audience little to no time to process what's happening and what these events mean for the story.

9. Asian girl asserting her dominance on a male because, in her estimation, he's being selfish by leaving the ship to prevent somebody he cares about from coming back to a dangerous situation when she literally keeps him from sacrificing himself at the end of the movie because "he shouldn't fight out of hate" but rather "sacrifice for love." Not only do her feelings for Finn come out of left field but she actively contradicts her former position and would have potentially caused the deaths of thousands simply because what Finn was going to do personally offended her/went against her morales.

10. Legitimately copied dialogue from ESB and RotJ line for line replacing the names of certain characters.

"I can sense the conflict within you."

Did Rey say that to Kylo or did Luke say that to Vader? Trick question, lol.

"IT WAS I WHO PLANTED THE CONNECTION BETWEEN YOU TWO"
"IT WAS I WHO ALLOWED THE ALLIANCE..."

Ah yeah that did sound familiar.

UCanShootMyNova
Lel. There was half a dozen of those sprinkled throughout. They probably hoped the rushed pacing would make you forget about them or cause you to overlook them.

|King Joker|
Snoke's dialogue was definitely way too similar to Palpatine's, yeah.

Tzeentch
I actually quite liked a lot of the physical humor in the story, but I will agree that most of the quips fell flat.

ares834
Yeah the quips were awful.

Lel. There was half a dozen of those sprinkled throughout. They probably hoped the rushed pacing would make you forget about them or cause you to overlook them.

They weren't trying to hide anything at all. The intent was to remind you of past scenes and then subvert your expectations but doing something different. Now sure, that may not be enjoyable for everyone but these weren't just needless callbacks solely for the sake of nostalgia or because the writers we're lazy as was the case for the entirety of TFA.

|King Joker|
Which quips in particular? I liked most of them. embarrasment

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by ares834
Yeah the quips were awful.

They weren't trying to hide anything at all. The intent was to remind you of past scenes and then subvert your expectations but doing something different. Now sure, that may not be enjoyable for everyone but these weren't just needless callbacks solely for the sake of nostalgia or because the writers we're lazy as was the case for the entirety of TFA.

I'm sorry, but how is reusing old lines to make you think the characters are going to do the same things as their predecessors not lazy writing? That's literally as lazy as you can get.

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by |King Joker|

Not surprising.

ares834
Originally posted by |King Joker|

The opening with Poe and Hux was the big one.

Truthfully though, a lot of the humor bothered me. Almost everything dealing with BB-8 or the Porgs, that Finn bacta suit scene, etc...

I'm sorry, but how is reusing old lines to make you think the characters are going to do the same things as their predecessors not lazy writing? That's literally as lazy as you can get.

Not at all. If you are intentionally going to mirror a scene, having similar dialogue will further clue the audience in.

UCanShootMyNova
It's not similar dialogue. It's the same dialogue. Line for line. They literally just replace a few words here and there.

ares834
Semantics. The point is, this wasn't done because they were lazy. It was done to remind the audience (most of whom haven't seen these films dozens of times) of past scenes.

UCanShootMyNova
It's not semantics. Using the same lines is lazy to the extreme. You can say it was paying homage but the fact is it's corny and unrealistic. This movie will not age well.

|King Joker|
Not surprising. https://78.media.tumblr.com/b74c66a417a702f8a6ac7ae8de0aa942/tumblr_npthqveKBc1rpk72fo2_400.gif

The opening with Poe and Hux was the big one.

Truthfully though, a lot of the humor bothered me. Almost everything dealing with BB-8 or the Porgs, that Finn bacta suit scene, etc... I thought Poe and Hux were pretty funny and most of the theatre seemed to as well, tbh.

Agreed with those examples. I liked the quips with Luke, Kylo, and Rey, though. But I guess it's just personal preference.

ares834
No, it's really not lazy. What would have been lazy is if the plot and scenes played out the same.

UCanShootMyNova
The thing is, Star Wars isn't a comedy. It has funny moments to be sure but TLJ devoted almost the entirety of its dialogues to one-liners and throwaway gags. It didn't feel like a SW movie tbh.

I don't want a villain that should be threatening and competent not being able to stop a single fighter with a fleet of Star Destroyers and have yo mama jokes told to him.

UCanShootMyNova
No, it's really not lazy. What would have been lazy is if the plot and scenes played out the same.

No. That wouldn't have been lazy. That would have been plagiarism.

Btw, they did play out the same. The only difference was the choice Kylo ultimately made. Rey's conversation with Kylo and his actions up until Snoke's death were pretty much the exact same as the interactions between Luke, Vader and Sidious. Nearly a perfect copy of the scene tbh.

ares834
That, uh, was my initial point. They set up the scene in a way similar to a scene from a past film and then do something completely different. It was similar to that scene but then became something else entirely by the end.

UCanShootMyNova
And I didn't disagree with that. Where we disagree is that you feel it's a valid way to build up expectations and I view it as a lazy attempt to generate nostalgia in a way that is both cheesy and unrealistic.

ares834
I never said it was a valid way to do so. I have no problem with it but I can see why others would.

Nephthys
The thing is, Star Wars isn't a comedy. It has funny moments to be sure but TLJ devoted almost the entirety of its dialogues to one-liners and throwaway gags. It didn't feel like a SW movie tbh.

Thats a ridiculous overexaggeration. It isn't anywhere near that much.

I don't want a villain that should be threatening and competent not being able to stop a single fighter with a fleet of Star Destroyers and have yo mama jokes told to him.

Hux isn't supposed to be threatening or competent.

UCanShootMyNova
Oh? Mind providing the director's commentary on that then? Or were you just making an unbacked assertion?

Nephthys
That Hux isn't supposed to be threatening or competent? He gets humiliated at every point, Snoke calls him a weasel behind his back and the heroes win by taking advantage of his incompetence.

His threat is like Kylo's in that hes a little shit with too much power, except Ren can actually back it up mostly.

UCanShootMyNova
Exactly.

Yet in the canon novels ( Phasma ) he's portrayed as a calculating/ruthless genius.

Nephthys
SW novels miss the point of the movies, news at 10.

UCanShootMyNova
There aren't supposed to be contradictions in the new canon...

Nephthys
Ok?

UCanShootMyNova
https://www.katimorton.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/i-am-not-ok.png

Nephthys
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/863/725/e74.gif

UCanShootMyNova
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Zx6I9iOq-G0/UfvC7EV87wI/AAAAAAAAYLI/eFTedMXh7lo/w424-h318-n/86d24ca43b37403d0771cf9c7fab45b8-performance2.gif

Beniboybling

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.