DBS- Anime vs. Manga?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mendax
Which should be regarded as more canon? For example, in the latest manga chapter, android 17 fought SSJ3 Goku, but in the anime he fought SSJB Goku- so which is the canon telling? There are other differences I've noticed, but I'm just not sure what I should be believing?

Thanks!

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Both are canon. But if either one is "more" canon, it would be the manga. This is because Toriyama explicitly looks over Toyotaro's drafts for the manga and either approves them or makes changes. And as we know, Toriyama is the ultimate canon in Dragon Ball.

Kento
Manga has the most input from Akira, while the anime just gets a overview of what should happen then runs with it so a lot of people say the manga is more canon. But then there are people that just like the feats, and care less about the writing that the manga is superior in, and the fact Akira gets the say on what is put in the manga while he doesn't in the anime and say that the anime is more.

Dark-Kenshin
Two separate realities. No different than comic books. Anime 17 is simply stronger than his manga incarnation.

Galan007
Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Both are canon. But if either one is "more" canon, it would be the manga. This is because Toriyama explicitly looks over Toyotaro's drafts for the manga and either approves them or makes changes. And as we know, Toriyama is the ultimate canon in Dragon Ball. Originally posted by Kento
Manga has the most input from Akira, while the anime just gets a overview of what should happen then runs with it so a lot of people say the manga is more canon. But then there are people that just like the feats, and care less about the writing that the manga is superior in, and the fact Akira gets the say on what is put in the manga while he doesn't in the anime and say that the anime is more. thumb up

Toriyama has some say with the anime, but TOEI is pulling most of the strings on that front. Conversely, the manga is written/illustrated by Toyotaro, but Toriyama personally oversees his works and edits/approves every Chapter... And because Tori himself has FAR more direct involvement with it, manga-canon takes precedence over anime-canon.

That said, there are also numerous scenes in the anime that never occur in the manga. Because Toriyama has also put a blanket canonization over the anime, said scenes are considered canon by default -- there are no filler scenes in DBS(which is a sharp contrast to DBZ, wherein any scenes in the anime that do not align with the manga are considered non-canon filler.)

tl;dr
Both are canon to DBS as a whole -- the manga is just *more* canon.

Mendax
Thanks for all the responses. That helps clear it up. big grin

So what if something that happens in the anime is never shown in the manga? Does it cease to be cannon?

carver9
The Anime is more Canon than the manga since the manga feeds off of the Anime. What happens in the Anime usually happens in the manga. Anime>Manga.

cdtm
Originally posted by Mendax

So what if something that happens in the anime is never shown in the manga? Does it cease to be cannon?

Just ignore this guy above you ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Everything he said is so wrong, it has to be a troll. I mean, he knows full well the manga isn't written from the anime, and they both use their own seperate copies of the exact same script...

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
thumb up

bbrem123
Originally posted by Galan007
Both are canon to DBS as a whole -- the manga is just *more* canon.

This ^

Question though. Does this mean "Universe" Zamasu in the anime is not canon? Or it is just "not as canon"? The "not as canon" is a bit confusing when debating if you ask me.

Galan007
Originally posted by Mendax

So what if something that happens in the anime is never shown in the manga? Does it cease to be cannon? As mentioned: the anime has a blanket canonization of sorts. IOW, any scenes from the anime that do not occur in the manga become canon by default -- there are no non-canon filler scenes in DBS.

Again, the manga only takes precedence over the anime in cases where the stories directly conflict. Aside from those specific instances, the anime is perfectly canon.

Originally posted by bbrem123
Question though. Does this mean "Universe" Zamasu in the anime is not canon? Or it is just "not as canon"? The "not as canon" is a bit confusing when debating if you ask me. Yeah, the artistic portrayals of 'Universal' Zamasu were wildly different, that's for sure... In the anime Zamasu became ethereal/formless by shedding his physical vessel, and began spreading outward from earth. Conversely, in the manga Zamasu retained his merged/fused body, and replicated that form endlessly to spread(Agent Smith style.) However, in both cases he was still a threat to not only his universe, but ALL universeS across ALL timelineS... And in both cases it still took direct intervention from Zen-Oh himself to permanently stop Zamasu, by completely erasing his entire universe/timeline.

That said, I personally look at each version of 'Universal' Zamasu as two different depictions of the same entity/threat... But that's just me. /shrug

bbrem123
Im just curious to what happens if there are contradicting events. Seems like a very blurry line to what is canon.

Galan007
There have already been quite a few contradicting events. In those instances, the manga takes precedence.

For example, #17 sparred evenly against SSB Goku in the anime. However, the most recent manga Chapter has #17 sparring evenly against SSJ3 Goku. Thus the latter depiction of their sparring match is now the most canon depiction, because the manga supersedes the anime in cases like this.

Make sense?

Nevan
Both are equally canon, both are supervised by Toriyama, they're just different continuities.

bbrem123
There have already been quite a few contradicting events. In those instances, the manga takes precedence.

For example, #17 sparred evenly against SSB Goku in the anime. However, the most recent manga Chapter has #17 sparring evenly against SSJ3 Goku. Thus the latter depiction of their sparring match is now the most canon depiction, because the manga supersedes the anime in cases like this.

Make sense? Yup this is what I thought. Thanks for the clarification.

bbrem123
Originally posted by Nevan
Both are equally canon, both are supervised by Toriyama, they're just different continuities. Interesting way of taking it. Makes sense I guess too.

I have a feeling for debating purposes thread starters will need to clarify which is binging used.

Galan007
I suppose you could draw a proverbial line in the sand for the purposes of versus threads if you wanted to, but it really isn't all that complicated: the manga is more canon than the anime. In cases where segments of the story directly conflict with one another, the manga's depiction supersedes the anime's. thumb up

cdtm

Make sense?

Which still puts #17 at Buu level, a pretty nice bump.

Up there with Trunks.

Galan007
That's if you think current SSJ3 Goku is still *just* Boo-level. Personally, I think he is vastly more powerful now. /shrug

cdtm
Even better. That still puts him and Trunks in the same camp. thumb up

bbrem123
Yea the manga does a much better job with showing how powerful somebody is.

Anime just throws SSB against everybody no matter who they are...

carver9
That's if you think current SSJ3 Goku is still *just* Boo-level. Personally, I think he is vastly more powerful now. /shrug

The anime shows that Goku is vastly more powerful than 17 so I'm sure he is holding back in the manga just like he held back in the Anime.

carver9
Yea the manga does a much better job with showing how powerful somebody is.

Anime just throws SSB against everybody no matter who they are...

The anime also tells us that Goku always hold back against his opponent. I don't think people should presume he would go all out against friends or people he is trying to recruit.

bbrem123
I agree he holds back. But just make him use this other form. Makes ssb less awe shocking

Ridley_Prime
It really does tbh despite how much Goku holds out on his opponents, but Blue form's ki control and all that...

NewGuy01
Originally posted by cdtm
Which still puts #17 at Buu level, a pretty nice bump.

Up there with Trunks.

Well, even one of the writers for the anime said that #17 is on par with Gohan in the ToP, who--putting aside the anime's powerscaling inconsistency--shouldn't be any stronger than he was during the Buu saga. If that was something that was specified in Toriyama's cliffnotes, then his depiction in the most recent chapter would make a lot of sense.

bbrem123
Forcing himself into the future? Miss translation or is this accurate?

At 1:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Z_b2LubmY

Ridley_Prime
lol I forgot that part with King Kai going all "be careful what you do with your body" was even a thing. Guess all Goku needed was a little time before he could use Kaioken again without any permanent damage...

The line about forcing himself into the future, don't know if it's accurate translation or not, though you would think that's what he was doing anyway in order to reach a playing field with Hit.

Sj_Sharp
Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Both are canon. But if either one is "more" canon, it would be the manga. This is because Toriyama explicitly looks over Toyotaro's drafts for the manga and either approves them or makes changes. And as we know, Toriyama is the ultimate canon in Dragon Ball.

thumb up

carver9
I agree he holds back. But just make him use this other form. Makes ssb less awe shocking

He told us that he used Blue against Krillin as an intimidation act.

cdtm
He never said that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.