Post-RotJ Luke as a character - Canon vs Legends

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Azronger
https://wagingnonviolence.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Screen-Shot-2017-12-07-at-9.10.39-PM.png

https://images.moviepilot.com/images/c_limit,q_auto:good,w_600/euemwuiidpsdx0rnrwwp/luke-s-new-jedi-order-in-the-eu.jpg

Looking at the characters strictly from his appearances in post-Return of the Jedi works. For Canon, this is from Shattered Empire to The Last Jedi; for Legends, this is from The Shadows of Mindor to Legacy: War. Which iteration of the character did you prefer - the depressed failure or the legendary grandmaster?

Lord Lucien
The one that hasn't inexplicably survived 40+ years of impossible shit.

Emperordmb
Well I have to say I'm a fan of beards... but Legends

FreshestSlice
Who isn't a fan of sad, lonely, and broken cowards?

TheMuser
Lol Legends

Zenwolf
Legends, it's not like he hasn't dealt with deep shit in that canon either, but instead of letting it consume him, he's still able to press on.

ares834
"Compassion is for those who deserve it."

Legends is a lot better if we stop at NJO. Once you add in LotF and FotJ it becomes a lot more difficult to choose.

Kurk
Canon Luke is representative of the white, middle-aged man in America. They're depressed like Luke and ready to die.

darthbane77
The Legends version, obviously, but I don't exactly dislike Luke in canon.

DarthAnt66
Canon Luke, easily.

JKBart
After so much time reading throughout the Legends, with truly so many, 3/10, extremely poor works, I have really learned to appreciate the EU Luke. Despite all these inconsistencies, so many books I would rather forget about, all the writers, overall, really managed to capture the spirit of OT Luke well. They developed him towards his sixties really legitimately, never going off the core of his character, never undermining the Original Trilogy, but going into an interesting direction nonetheless. EU Luke remained the good-hearted farmboy trying to find a glimpse of light in everybody. He remained the RotJ Luke fearing the Dark Side into his final days. He remained somebody whose heart is that truly of a real Jedi, and remained somebody who was, let's face it, taking a piss on so many lessons of his predecessors, and so many of their mistakes as well.

He wasn't perfect, at all. He was this guy who just tries to be perfect, to do the wisest stuff possible, the calmest approach doable. But he was still someone who fallen into the damaged Unifying Force-Potentium combo, which gave a nice struggle in the Dark Nest. He killed Lumiya in an act of revenge, and all of that.

What I truly like about Luke in EU is that he really is that shining star, that guy who most people will consider boring and dull iconic Jedi, that still fails, that still gives into fear or grief or rush, that's still human. Somebody that's super-hyper-extremely moral (to the point of being a boring fuggot maybe), but still a human being, without the writers just suddenly giving him a bad day. Nope, he's still on top of that moral mountain and writers just give him challenges great enough that he can have his downs while remaining on the top of this moral mountain nonetheless.

What really makes me appreciate the writing is that there are so many instances where he's just this most powerful Jedi, the absolute badass, the absolute power in the universe, but he's still not overpowered in terms of writing. He shits on nearly everybody, but stories involving him concern events so wide and complicated, he still can't just power his way through the obstacles. He gets involved in galactical conflicts where he can't just power his way through planetary defenses or be at two places at once. In NJO they really learned to make him all-powerful without making a story boring. In essence, they just keep pressuring the point that he's still just a one person. He can have the power of the black hole, but that black hole still can't fight an entire war or repair corrupt government.

I really take all of that over Canon... but how can that be a surprise?

In essence, Legends Luke kept being a main character. In Canon, he gets disposed of to get the story into Rey-Finn-Kylo hands. There's no denying this huge difference in approach. I won't debate how they handled Luke in TFA and TLJ, but the approach is obvious. You can't have a forced-out-of-the-screen Luke match the main-character one.

Azronger
Originally posted by JKBart
After so much time reading throughout the Legends, with truly so many, 3/10, extremely poor works, I have really learned to appreciate the EU Luke. Despite all these inconsistencies, so many books I would rather forget about, all the writers, overall, really managed to capture the spirit of OT Luke well. They developed him towards his sixties really legitimately, never going off the core of his character, never undermining the Original Trilogy, but going into an interesting direction nonetheless. EU Luke remained the good-hearted farmboy trying to find a glimpse of light in everybody. He remained the RotJ Luke fearing the Dark Side into his final days. He remained somebody whose heart is that truly of a real Jedi, and remained somebody who was, let's face it, taking a piss on so many lessons of his predecessors, and so many of their mistakes as well.

He wasn't perfect, at all. He was this guy who just tries to be perfect, to do the wisest stuff possible, the calmest approach doable. But he was still someone who fallen into the damaged Unifying Force-Potentium combo, which gave a nice struggle in the Dark Nest. He killed Lumiya in an act of revenge, and all of that.

What I truly like about Luke in EU is that he really is that shining star, that guy who most people will consider boring and dull iconic Jedi, that still fails, that still gives into fear or grief or rush, that's still human. Somebody that's super-hyper-extremely moral (to the point of being a boring fuggot maybe), but still a human being, without the writers just suddenly giving him a bad day. Nope, he's still on top of that moral mountain and writers just give him challenges great enough that he can have his downs while remaining on the top of this moral mountain nonetheless.

What really makes me appreciate the writing is that there are so many instances where he's just this most powerful Jedi, the absolute badass, the absolute power in the universe, but he's still not overpowered in terms of writing. He shits on nearly everybody, but stories involving him concern events so wide and complicated, he still can't just power his way through the obstacles. He gets involved in galactical conflicts where he can't just power his way through planetary defenses or be at two places at once. In NJO they really learned to make him all-powerful without making a story boring. In essence, they just keep pressuring the point that he's still just a one person. He can have the power of the black hole, but that black hole still can't fight an entire war or repair corrupt government.

In essence, Legends Luke kept being a main character. In Canon, he gets disposed of to get the story into Rey-Finn-Kylo hands. There's no denying this huge difference in approach. I won't debate how they handled Luke in TFA and TLJ, but the approach is obvious. You can't have a forced-out-of-the-screen Luke match the main-character one.

Could not agree more. Well done.

Trocity
Well, I'm definitely not picking the Luke that went from refusing to fight/kill Darth Vader(a being who had committed countless atrocities already) in the hopes of turning him back to the Light, to contemplating murdering his nephew because of what he might one day become.

ares834
Originally posted by Trocity
Well, I'm definitely not picking the Luke that went from refusing to fight/kill Darth Vader(a being who had committed countless atrocities already) in the hopes of turning him back to the Light, to contemplating murdering his nephew because of what he might one day become.

Legends Luke has done a lot worse shit than that such as actually falling to the dark side.

ares834

thumb up

Trocity
Originally posted by Trocity

Oh and then ran away to hide and die and leave everyone he's ever cared about to try and clean up his mess.

Yeah, Luke sucks.

Azronger
Originally posted by ares834
Legends Luke has done a lot worse shit than that such as actually falling to the dark side.

Yes... when mindraped by Palpatine, not of his own free will.

Trocity
thumb up

If it is revealed it was Snoke messing with his and Ben's heads, that would be some redemption at least...

ares834
Originally posted by Azronger
Yes... when mindraped by Palpatine, not of his own free will.

Fair enough. But Luke constantly flirts with the dark side throughout the EU. Personally, I have no problem with the Kylo sequence and felt it made sense. It's really no worse then what he did from time-to-time in the books.

The issue is Luke bitching out afterwards. And worse than all of that is the fact that he likely won't be the one to recreate the Jedi Order.

Dark-Kenshin
Legends has a lot of garbage writing (some as bad as TLJ), but overall, it managed to stay true to Luke's character. Rian on the other hand wanted to be "edgy" and ended up gutting the character in the process. You'd need a full three movies to properly do to Luke what Rian tried to do in one. The fall and rise of Luke Jaywalker. Now that could have been a good trilogy. Throw out all the Rey/Finn/Poe crap and make it about Luke's perilous journey to restarting the Jedi Order.

The Ellimist
Contemplating killing Kylo = I can get that, he is human and it was just a flash.

Running away afterwards = the antithesis of his entire character and just breaks suspension of disbelief.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Contemplating killing Kylo = I can get that, he is human and it was just a flash.

Running away afterwards = the antithesis of his entire character and just breaks suspension of disbelief. thumb up

Petrus
EU Luke >>> Canon Luke.

EU Luke went through some very difficult shit, as well, but instead of going to hide in the most remote place in the galaxy for years, allowing himself to be swallowed by guilt, remorse and sadness, he actually overcame the difficulties he faced and became the Master he should have.

In Canon, the first time he's faced with true adversity and he's gone, runs away. Seriously, that is absolute shit from someone who was supposed to be one of the greatest and most powerful heroes of the Republic and the Jedi. Honestly, Canon Luke is a major disappointment imho.

Beniboybling
Did people miss the part where Kylo attacked Luke and murdered all his students?

Darth Thor
Originally posted by The Ellimist

Running away afterwards = the antithesis of his entire character and just breaks suspension of disbelief.

Yeah I was actually more satisfied with the version of events where he legitimately did try to kill Kylo, because the guilt over that would have made more sense for him to disappear.

But in the actual version of events, I still don't get why he was hiding.

MythLord
It's not like Luke in the EU ever hid because of his fears and guilt... Oh wait.

The Ellimist
Then one wonders whether his resolve for the Jedi to end had any actual philosophical basis or was a pure rationalization - and a dumb one at that.

Beniboybling
More like a pre-conceived notion of what it meant to be one, without any significant experience to temper it. Like Yoda said failure is the greatest teacher.

TenebrousWay
Completely disappointing, the new trilogy is.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by ares834
Fair enough. But Luke constantly flirts with the dark side throughout the EU. Personally, I have no problem with the Kylo sequence and felt it made sense. It's really no worse then what he did from time-to-time in the books.

The issue is Luke bitching out afterwards. And worse than all of that is the fact that he likely won't be the one to recreate the Jedi Order.
Sometimes, I get mad too. Not once have I loaded a gun and put it close to anyone I've known, let alone a family member's head, just because I thought they might be evil, or hell, showed some bad tendencies. It's stupid all around. It's a lot worse than anything I've seen anyone in the EU or the rest of Canon do short of genocide.

Ursumeles

In essence, Legends Luke kept being a main character. In Canon, he gets disposed of to get the story into Rey-Finn-Kylo hands. There's no denying this huge difference in approach. I won't debate how they handled Luke in TFA and TLJ, but the approach is obvious. You can't have a forced-out-of-the-screen Luke match the main-character one. Yeah, this.

LordOfTheLight
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Canon Luke, easily.

Any specific reason?

Petrus
Do people forget that Leia was aware all the time of the atrocities his son committed and how incredibly hard it must've been for her, as well? Losing her son to the dark side, his husband to his son, and his brother because he decided to disappear and leave the galaxy and loved ones on their own? Yet I saw her fighting all the time. I did not see her cower or hide in sadness or fear. She was a better Luke than Luke ever was. So yeah, sorry, but there's no valid excuses for Luke doing what he did and become who he became.

Azronger
Originally posted by LordOfTheLight
Any specific reason?

Apparently he thinks Luke had no developement in the EU and was boring.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Petrus
Do people forget that Leia was aware all the time of the atrocities his son committed and how incredibly hard it must've been for her, as well? Losing her son to the dark side, his husband to his son, and his brother because he decided to disappear and leave the galaxy and loved ones on their own? Yet I saw her fighting all the time. I did not see her cower or hide in sadness or fear. She was a better Luke than Luke ever was. So yeah, sorry, but there's no valid excuses for Luke doing what he did and become who he became.
Well Leia, I assume you mean Leia even though you keep using his, is a woman. Luke is a man. We can hardly expect him to do what's right.

Geistalt
Everyone prefers Legends. The fact that Canon Luke's depression was designed to hand the Wide-Eyed Idealist Knight in Shining Armor legacy off to Rey and Finn doesn't make him an equally good character.

Ursumeles
Originally posted by Petrus
Do people forget that Leia was aware all the time of the atrocities his son committed and how incredibly hard it must've been for her, as well? Losing her son to the dark side, his husband to his son, and his brother because he decided to disappear and leave the galaxy and loved ones on their own? Yet I saw her fighting all the time. I did not see her cower or hide in sadness or fear. She was a better Luke than Luke ever was. So yeah, sorry, but there's no valid excuses for Luke doing what he did and become who he became. Canon Leia is great.

Petrus

quanchi112

JKBart
i dont see anybody saying it isnt canon lol

people just dont like it kek

Dark-Kenshin
Canon =/= Automatically good. laughing out loud

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by LordOfTheLight
Any specific reason?
I rather have an interesting and engaging character than what we got in the EU with Luke.

I read through all of the CT, YJK, NJO, LOTF, and FOTJ fairly recently (within the last several years) for the DCRT and Luke was bland as ****.

While some have, the vast majority of everyone commenting have not read through a lot of these post-ROTJ EU books. They're going off preconceived notions of Luke from the segments they've read in forum debates or Wookieepedia and contrasting it with The Last Jedi, which isn't a fair analysis. I challenge anyone to read through the entirety of CT, YJK, NJO, LOTF, and FOTJ and tell me by the end that Luke's portrayal was interesting. I'm confident the vast majority will come back from it and tell me, "yeah, you're right, he was boring, uninteresting, and generally one-dimensional." That's not to say Luke doesn't have some great moments, but for the most part he doesn't whatsoever.

Nephthys
I rather have an interesting and engaging character than what we got in the EU with Luke.

I read through all of the CT, YJK, NJO, LOTF, and FOTJ fairly recently (within the last several years) for the DCRT and Luke was bland as ****.

While some have, the vast majority of everyone commenting have not read through a lot of these post-ROTJ EU books. They're going off preconceived notions of Luke from the segments they've read in forum debates or Wookieepedia and contrasting it with The Last Jedi, which isn't a fair analysis. I challenge anyone to read through the entirety of CT, YJK, NJO, LOTF, and FOTJ and tell me by the end that Luke's portrayal was interesting. I'm confident the vast majority will come back from it and tell me, "yeah, you're right, he was boring, uninteresting, and generally one-dimensional." That's not to say Luke doesn't have some great moments, but for the most part he doesn't whatsoever. thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up

The Ellimist
Originally posted by quanchi112
All people don't have the same reactions to the same kinds of experiences. You're upset over Luke but Leia also didn't come into Ben's place of sleep to possibly kill him. Luke's shame over that incident is exclusive to him not Leia. Your feelings don't matter really. What's canon is canon just accept it. This isn't some minor book the directors aren't familiar with. It's a film which is the ultimate canon.

A really obvious is-ought fallacy, come on man.

DarthAnt66

While some have, the vast majority of everyone commenting have not read through a lot of these post-ROTJ EU books. They're going off preconceived notions of Luke from the segments they've read in forum debates or Wookieepedia and contrasting it with The Last Jedi, which isn't a fair analysis. I challenge anyone to read through the entirety of CT, YJK, NJO, LOTF, and FOTJ and tell me by the end that Luke's portrayal was interesting. I'm confident the vast majority will come back from it and tell me, "yeah, you're right, he was boring, uninteresting, and generally one-dimensional." That's not to say Luke doesn't have some great moments, but for the most part he doesn't whatsoever.

Also, people are vastly underestimating the sheer amount of plot inconsistencies revolving around Luke in the EU. I can't tell you how many times he could have ended a galactic conflict but let the main villain escape for no reason whatsoever. One fight comes to mind where it was him and Mara vs Lumiya and another Dark Jedi. For no reason whatsoever, Luke toyed with Lumiya for no reason, allowing her to escape and Mara to come radically close to death. The ****?

And then there's the monstrosity that is Dark Empire, which directly and irrevocably destroys the entirety of Return of the Jedi. No, in the comic, Luke does not fall to the dark-side because he's mind-****ed by the Emperor. That's purely from the audio-drama which perhaps three people bought in the initial release. Most other EU works reflecting back on Dark Empire also echo the sentiment that Luke willingly joined the Emperor. It's a total disgrace.

Azronger

Azronger
Addendum: we also get more developement for Luke, and his parallels with and differences to Anakin are interesting. In the movies, when Anakin is presented with power, he accepts; when Luke is in the same situation, he declines the offer. Once Anakin is in that position of power, he holds on to it at the expense of all else, even the lives of his family; in Dark Empire, when Luke reaches the second highest position of power in the entire galaxy, he throws it all away for the sake of others. So essentially, it's what Lucas described: Anakin says yes, Luke says no. It's quite a neat concept, and Dark Empire explores it implicitly but well, in my opinion.

JKBart
Yeah, Az has it right. In terms of Luke's actions, DE is okay.

Although Dark Empire as a whole truly sucks cock, ngl.

Ursumeles
I honestly like the force aspects of DE, but the whole "Sidious comes back x times!" shit was shit story writing. It also set the trend of NR books that we need new, OP superweapons for every book.

Azronger
Palpatine returning makes sense in the context of the rest of the mythos: lesser Sith have lived on as spirits. However, from a story standpoint, it is questionable. It could have been executed a lot worse, though, but also a lot better.

samappo
I reckon the best Legends content was the Thrawn trilogy, my only real qualms were that Luke was basically a *****.

Ursumeles
Palpatine returning makes sense in the context of the rest of the mythos: lesser Sith have lived on as spirits. However, from a story standpoint, it is questionable. It could have been executed a lot worse, though, but also a lot better. Yeah, the main problem is that it makes Vader's sacrifice less important.
And DE is all over the top in general.

Azronger
Originally posted by samappo
I reckon the best Legends content was the Thrawn trilogy, my only real qualms were that Luke was basically a *****.

Luke was underpowered as hell in TTT, but I don't see any problems with his character.

samappo
Luke was underpowered as hell in TTT, but I don't see any problems with his character.

I meant that in terms of underpowered, not his character.

Is the recent canon Thrawn novel any good?

Azronger
Originally posted by Ursumeles
Yeah, the main problem is that it makes Vader's sacrifice less important.
And DE is all over the top in general.

Eh, that could be debated. The point of the sacrifice wasn't the Emperor's death, but Anakin's redemption, and that Luke was right and the Jedi of old were wrong. I personally don't see Palpatine's return diminishing that.

And only Palpatine is over-the-top in DE, tbh, and even he was significantly scaled back in DE II and EE.

Azronger
Originally posted by samappo
I meant that in terms of underpowered, not his character.

Is the recent canon Thrawn novel any good?

Don't read Canon crap, so I don't know. I found this on YouTube, though, and heard it's all from the new novel, and it seems pretty stellar:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JDXRnbiUshs

Ursumeles
Eh, that could be debated. The point of the sacrifice wasn't the Emperor's death, but Anakin's redemption, and that Luke was right and the Jedi of old were wrong. I personally don't see Palpatine's return diminishing that.

And only Palpatine is over-the-top in DE, tbh, and even he was significantly scaled back in DE II and EE. I'm talking about his superweapons.

Azronger
Eh, it showcases the advancing technology, which I'd argue DE pulls off better than most stories. I don't see a problem with the World Devastators; they're actually thematically relevant to Palpatine's ultimate plan. The Eclipse superlaser wasn't as powerful as the Death Star anyway, and the Galaxy Gun makes sense, honestly, even if it was overpowered.

DE was may more restrained with its superweapons than TOR for example, lmao.

Ursumeles
Eh, it showcases the advancing technology, which I'd argue DE pulls off better than most stories. I don't see a problem with the World Devastators; they're actually thematically relevant to Palpatine's ultimate plan. The Eclipse superlaser wasn't as powerful as the Death Star anyway, and the Galaxy Gun makes sense, honestly, even if it was overpowered.

DE was may more restrained with its superweapons than TOR for example, lmao.
Fair, though it's extreme compared to ther timelines, though. But yeah, the GG is the main problem.
Tbh, Superweapons are awesome though, so eh.

Damn, DE is better than TOR. That's on par with liking jews more than Hitler did.

Azronger
Originally posted by Ursumeles
Fair, though it's extreme compared to ther timelines, though. But yeah, the GG is the main problem.
Tbh, Superweapons are awesome though, so eh.

Damn, DE is better than TOR. That's on par with liking jews more than Hitler did.

It's not really that extreme, if you look at how fast technology develops in our real world. Not that fiction has to follow the real world rules, but still. And the tech for the World Devastators and the Eclipse already existed anyway; the the former were more advanced versions of the Star Forge that had been around for over 30 000 years, and the latter wasn't even as powerful as the first Death Star. And the missiles of the Galaxy Gun contain a particle disintegrator, which simply causes a nuclear chain reaction that changes matter into energy. Not to mention the Gun malfunctioned once, meaning the tech for it hadn't been perfected.

Really, I see nothing unreasonable about DE's superweapons.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.