Rank these incarnations of Anakin/Vader

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Ellimist
A. With Legends + movies/novelizations/TCW (aka old canon)
B. With Canon

In one vs. one combat in an open field, 10 meters.

Knightfall
Zone
RotJ
RotS "base"
Mustafar
End of TCW
ANH
ESB

DarthAnt66
1. Knightfall
2. Zonakin
3. Pre-Zonakin
4. Mustafar
5. End of TCW

Vader ranges from 4 to 6.

Kurk
Legends:

Knightfall
Zonakin
RotJ
ESB
Mustafar / RotS "Base" (assuming that means jedi)
Mustafar / RotS "Base"
End TCW
ANH

Canon:

Knightfall
Zonakin
ANH/Rebels
ESB
Mustafar / RotS Base
Mustafar / RotS Base
End TCW
RotJ

I always thought in canon that Vader was burnt out by RotJ. Plus it was stated that Rebels Vader was in his prime or something. In legends we have that era of Vader tripping over his feet.

The Ellimist
Interesting that Knightfall > Zone

Azronger
1. RotJ/ESB
2. Knightfall
3. Zone
4. Mustafar/ANH
5. Base RotS
6. TCW

TenebrousWay
Originally posted by The Ellimist
B. With Canon

Knightfall
Zone
RotJ
RotS "base"
Mustafar
End of TCW
ANH
ESB

A.
Knightfall
Zone
RotS/RotJ Vader
TCW
ESB Vader
ANH Vader/Mustafar

Lord Stark
Roughly:

Legends:
Knightfall/ Zonakin
RotJ
ESB
ROTS "base"
End TCW
Mustafar
ANH

Canon:
Knightfall/Zonakin
ANH/Rebels
ESB
Mustafar / RotS Base
Mustafar / RotS Base
End TCW
RotJ

NewGuy01
Interesting that Knightfall > Zone

You weren't here for it, but we established that pretty clearly a while back. I made a post that summed it up, I'll see if I can't find it for you.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by NewGuy01
You weren't here for it, but we established that pretty clearly a while back. I made a post that summed it up, I'll see if I can't find it for you.

Here:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=646351&pagenumber=3&post=16344144

The Ellimist
Here:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=646351&pagenumber=3&post=16344144

Ah, interesting. My reservations stem from the nature of Stover's description that suggests Anakin had some spooky zone effect beyond just using the dark side. Like a 30 second peak performance that can't necessarily be replicated on command, even if Knightfall Anakin is a more consistently powerful incarnation.

Darth Thor
1)Knightfall/Zonakin
2)Rebels/OT
3)Rots base/End of TCW
4)Mustafar

Big gap between 1 & 2. Not much of a gap between the rest.

Geistalt
1. Knightfall Vader
2. "Zonakin"
3. RotJ
4. TESB
5. ANH
6. RotS "Base" (effectively the same as the end of TCW iteration)
7. TCW S6
8. Mustafar

Rebels Vader is arguably > RotS "Base"

TheNuisanceBird
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
1. Knightfall
2. Zonakin
3. Pre-Zonakin
4. Mustafar
5. End of TCW

NewGuy01
Ah, interesting. My reservations stem from the nature of Stover's description that suggests Anakin had some spooky zone effect beyond just using the dark side. Like a 30 second peak performance that can't necessarily be replicated on command, even if Knightfall Anakin is a more consistently powerful incarnation.

I think "just using the dark side" is an oversimplification. Direct your attention to this line:

Ordinarily, Anakin is ripe with fear and doubt; the "dead star dragon," as Stover likes to call it. Since, per the Jedi teachings, he has to suppress those emotions when fighting, they weigh on his mind and distract him. However, when he forgoes his Jedi teachings, and channels those feelings of insecurity into anger, he's allowed to clear his head. He can focus. That's the "spooky zone effect" you're thinking of.

That said, it's a two-way street. In emotionally charged situations, Anakin's anger can also feed into his fear. For example, on Mustafar his emotions spiraled out of control, with his anger fueling his fear, his fear fueling his anger, and his anger fueling his fear again. He was weighed down with terror like he'd never experienced before, which is why he was at his weakest on Mustafar despite using the dark side.

Dark-Kenshin
I think "just using the dark side" is an oversimplification. Direct your attention to this line:

Ordinarily, Anakin is ripe with fear and doubt; the "dead star dragon," as Stover likes to call it. Since, per the Jedi teachings, he has to suppress those emotions when fighting, they weigh on his mind and distract him. However, when he forgoes his Jedi teachings, and channels those feelings of insecurity into anger, he's allowed to clear his head. He can focus. That's the "spooky zone effect" you're thinking of.

That said, it's a two-way street. In emotionally charged situations, Anakin's anger can also feed into his fear. For example, on Mustafar his emotions spiraled out of control, with his anger fueling his fear, his fear fueling his anger, and his anger fueling his fear again. He was weighed down with terror like he'd never experienced before, which is why he was at his weakest on Mustafar despite using the dark side. thumb up

Rebel95
Originally posted by Darth Thor
1)Knightfall/Zonakin
2)Rebels/OT
3)Rots base/End of TCW
4)Mustafar

NewGuy01
RotS Anakin / Knightfall Vader > ANH Vader = pre-RotS Anakin > Mustafar Vader >/= RotJ Vader

...or something to that effect.

Rockydonovang
Can't wait for sihtmaster to put Zonakin>>>>> A more powerful version of himself.

Azronger
That said, it's a two-way street. In emotionally charged situations, Anakin's anger can also feed into his fear. For example, on Mustafar his emotions spiraled out of control, with his anger fueling his fear, his fear fueling his anger, and his anger fueling his fear again. He was weighed down with terror like he'd never experienced before, which is why he was at his weakest on Mustafar despite using the dark side.

Wasn't Mustafar Anakin still a 9, according to Gillard, though?

LordOfTheLight
Originally posted by Azronger
1. RotJ/ESB
2. Knightfall
3. Zone
4. Mustafar/ANH
5. Base RotS
6. TCW

slayne
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
1. Knightfall
2. Zonakin
3. Pre-Zonakin
4. Mustafar
5. End of TCW

MarrCaedusRevan

Naugrim
1. RotJ
2/3. Zone/ESB
4/5. Knightfall/ANH
6. RotS "base"
7. End of TCW
8. Mustafar

Sirion_Of_Doom
B. With Canon

Knightfall
Zone
RotJ
RotS "base"
Mustafar
End of TCW
ANH
ESB
''zone''
rots
rotj
esb
TCW
mustafar
anh

BazookaMaster
1. Zonakin

2. Knightfall

3. Base ROTS

4. ROTJ + ESB (slightly lower)

5. ANH

6. Mustafar

7. TCW

Rockydonovang
What about End of ROTJ vader? When he was brought back to the light and was walking through Sidious's lightning? Shouldn't we consider him too, as another version of Anakin?

JKBart
that's the suit that walked through the lightning tbh

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.