Your lightsaber duel rankings

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Ellimist
For me:

Luke vs. Vader, RotJ
Yoda vs. Sidious, RotS
Luke vs. Vader, ESB
Anakin vs. Obi Wan, RotS
Maul vs. Qui Gon and Obi Wan, TPM (for duel of the fates)

Are the best in the PT/OT, though it largely depends on my mood. I didn't include TCW/Rebels or ST fights as I don't know how to place them, but feel free to.

Azronger
Tier 1:
-Luke vs Vader: RotJ

Tier 2:
-Luke vs Vader: ESB
-Sidious vs Zabraks: TCW S5
-Sidious vs Yoda: RotS
-Anakin vs Ventress: OCW

Tier 3:
-Vader vs Obi-Wan: RotS
-Anakin and Obi-Wan vs Dooku: TCW S6 (underrated imo)
-Anakin and Obi-Wan vs Dooku: RotS
-Obi-Wan vs Maul and Savage: TCW S5
-Grievous vs Jedi team: OCW
-Maul vs Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan: TPM
-Sidious vs Mace and B-team: RotS

samappo
I'll go with top 5:

1. Darth Vader vs Luke Skywalker

2. Yoda vs Sidious

3. Anakin vs Obi-Wan

4. Sheev vs B-Team

5. Yoda vs Dooku

I've gotta say, the first duel with Jinn and Maul, while extremely short, is very thrilling to watch. The music and the fast paced combat is pretty great.

|King Joker|
1. Darth Vader vs. Ahsoka Tano (Star Wars Rebels): This fight was the culmination of years of speculation on my and many others part, and it succeeded in delivering a well-choreographed fight that was true to each character's abilities with an intense emotional weight emanating from it. Though I don't think this fight is the best choreographed among the rest of the duels, it has the most emotional impact for me, for probably obvious reasons.

2. Darth Vader vs. Luke Skywalker (The Empire Strikes Back): It contains one of the most iconic moments in Star Wars (and film) history, and is pretty well choreographed and visually interesting as well. The fight is intense and captivating, which in my opinion is kind of rare among Star Wars duels.

3. Kylo Ren and Rey vs. Elite Praetorian Guards (The Last Jedi): Despite The Last Jedi not having any actual lightsaber duels, this fight easily makes up for that by being exceedingly unique, well-choreographed and intense. I think the fight contains one of the coolest moments in a lightsaber fight, with Rey throwing her lightsaber to Ren and him igniting it in the guard's eye. The fact that both Rey and Ren were previously enemies adds to the weight of the duel as well, making it even more memorable because of the new character dynamics introduced between the two.

4. Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi (The Phantom Menace): Definitely one of the best-choreographed duels in Star Wars. I love the consistent change in surroundings, ranging from the hangar to the now-iconic power generator room, and then to the pit. Even though the movie itself was dry and soulless, this fight actually adds something to really look forward to. There's some decent amount of emotional weight involved, but I'm not going to lie and say that it is anything impactful for me. The clear purpose and use of the fight is the incredible 2v1 factor with obvious demonstrations of skill and the only incorporation of the double-bladed lightsaber in live action. All in all, pretty neat.

5. Darth Vader vs. Luke Skywalker (Return of the Jedi): This fight is one of the most dramatic in Star Wars and creates so much depth with the characters involved. The preceding scene(s) to the fight are also some of the best and most memorable in Star Wars, so the fight being surrounded by the best doesn't hurt. I wish the fight was lengthier, but I think it serves its purpose while still providing some aesthetically pleasing dueling.

Honorable mentions: Yoda vs. Darth Sidious (Revenge of the Sith), Anakin Skywalker vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith), Darth Sidious vs. Darth Maul and Savage Opress (The Clone Wars), Count Dooku vs. Asajj Ventress and Savage Opress (The Clone Wars), Asajj Ventress vs. Luminara Unduli and Ahsoka Tano (The Clone Wars).

This list only considers canon duels.

Rockydonovang
Not really. Not a single swing in the fight with an exception or two were actually directed at the opponent. Often, the attaks weren't evenin range of their opponent, and their was a plethora of unnecesary flips and doges which didn't actually serve a combative purpose.

The scene had the most cherography sure, but that doesn't mean it was good chereography.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Azronger
Tier 1:

Tier 2:

Tier 3:

Good taste.

NewGuy01
Tier 1:
Luke vs Vader, RotJ
Sidious vs Maul and Savage, TCWS5

Tier 2:
Maul vs Kenobi and Jinn, TPM
Luke vs Vader, ESB
Dooku vs Anakin and Obi-Wan, TCWS6
Vader vs Ahsoka, Rebels
Anakin vs Obi-Wan, RotS

Tier 3
Grievous vs Ki Adi Mundi & co., CW
Anakin vs Ventress, CW
Kylo Ren and Rey vs Praetorian Guards, TLJ
Kenobi vs Maul and Savage, TCWS5
Anakin and Obi-Wan vs Dooku, RotS

|King Joker|

relentless1
1. Anakin vs Obi Wan

2. Darth Maul vs Qui Gon and Obi Wan

3. Darth Sidious vs Yoda

4. Count Dooku vs Anakin and Obi Wan II

5. Darth Sidious vs Mace and the B Team

6. Count Dooku vs Obi Wan, Anakin and Yoda

7. Darth Vader vs Luke II

8. Darth Vader vs Luke

9. Obi Wan vs General Grievous

10. Kylo Ren vs Rey

20. Darth Vader vs Old Ben

Azronger
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Not really. Not a single swing in the fight with an exception or two were actually directed at the opponent. Often, the attaks weren't evenin range of their opponent, and their was a plethora of unnecesary flips and doges which didn't actually serve a combative purpose.

The scene had the most cherography sure, but that doesn't mean it was good chereography.

Plz tell me when will you die. I want to know so that I can throw a party.

http://www.deathclock.com

Azronger
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Good taste.

Likewise.

cs_zoltan
Kenobi vs Maul & Savage
Ben vs Maul
Anakin & Kenobi vs Dooku (TCW S6)
Anakin vs Kenobi (RotS)

Not in order.

DarthDuelist9
1. Kylo Ren and Rey vs PG:
2. Maul and Savage vs Sidious
3. Anakin vs Obi-Wan
4. Darth Maul vs Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon
5. Kylo Ren vs Rey
6. Grand Inquisitor vs Kanan and Ezra

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by Azronger
Tier 1:

Tier 2:

Tier 3:
thumb up

Total Warrior
Darth Sidious vs Darth Maul & Savage Oppress
Darth Sidious vs Yoda
Obi Wan Kenobi vs Anakin Skywalker
Ahsoka Tano vs Darth Vader
Count Dooku vs TCW5 Obi Wan Kenobi & Anakin Skywalker
Rey & Kylo Ren vs Praetorian Guards
RoTJ Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader
Obi Wan Kenobi & Adi Gallia vs Darth Maul & Savage Oppress
Qui Gon Jinn & Obi Wan Kenobi vs Darth Maul
Obi Wan Kenobi vs General Grevious
RotS Anakin Skywalker & Obi Wan Kenobi vs Count Dooku
Rey vs Kylo Ren
Kylo Ren vs Finn
Darth Vader vs ESB Luke Skywalker
Darth Vader vs Obi Wan Kenobi
Kanan & Ezra & Ahsoka Tano & Darth Maul vs Inquisitors
Kanan & Ezra vs Darth Maul

Kurk
Tier 1: best of the best
- RotS Anakin vs Obi Wan
- TCW Maul vs Sidious (ending portion)
- Vizsla vs TCW Maul
- Windu vs Sidious

(all of these fights are nail-bitingly intense with the combatants unleashing everything they have. Emotions are fierce; soundtracks and effects are spot on)

Tier 2: the best
- RotS Anakin vs Dooku
- TCW Dooku vs Anakin and Kenobi (Oba Diah)
- TCW Dooku vs Anakin and Kenobi (Naboo)
- Yoda vs Sidious
- AotC Dooku vs Yoda
- RotJ Vader vs Luke
- ESB Vader vs Luke

(all of these fights contain great aspects to them. Great soundtracks, emotions, and combat finesse make these top picks)

Tier 3: notables
- TPM Qui-Gon and Kenobi vs Maul
- TCW Dooku vs Savage and Ventress
- Ventress and Nightsisters vs Dooku
- Maul and Savage vs Obi-Wan and Ventress (turtle tanker)
- Maul and Savage vs Obi-Wan and Adi Gallia (Florum)
- Barriss Offee vs Anakin
- Rebels Ahsoka vs Vader
- Barriss Offee vs Ahsoka (S5 TCW)
- Anakin vs Ventress (OCW Yavin 4)

(these fights contain good elements to them though they are not extraordinary)

MythLord
I only know my top 3:

1. Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader: This has one of the most iconic moments in film history. It's also visually interesting, the entire atmosphere feels almost like some sort of dream sequence, like we're back in the cave on Dagobah, but the environment this time is far more dangerous. It has a nice shift from being slowly paced and precise to fast-paced and aggressive as Vader hammers Luke in, just as he's about to deliver the twist that he's his father.

2. Darth Sidious vs Yoda/Anakin Skywalker vs Obi-Wan Kenobi: While I think the Anakin vs Obi-Wan fight was too long for my taste, it was definitely a fun watch. On the one hand you have Yoda and Sidious, the two most powerful beings in the galaxy, clashing as they wreck environmental havoc and draw out an intense stalemate. On the other hand you have a fight of emotional conflict, where the errupting lava and collapsing structures symbolize the raw emotions and mental instabilities of Obi-Wan and Anakin.

3. Rey and Kylo Ren vs the Praetorian Guards: One thing I really like about the ST so far is that their duels and fights are sort of a combination of the OT and PT fights. The duel is particularly enjoyable because of how unique the Praetorian guards are, in both fighting style and weaponry. The amount of teamwork that was required for Rey and Ben to win, despite them being polar opposites and 'til recently being enemies, just added to the tension. And given how the film kept you guessing on the fate of the characters, I was legitimately questioning if Rey and Kylo would get injured/captured/something else throughout the fight.

After that, it gets murky, as a lot of duels have their strengths and weaknesses. These three just left the biggest impression on me.

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by MythLord
I was legitimately questioning if Rey and Kylo would get injured/captured/something else throughout the fight.

You are retarded then.

Rockydonovang
You didn't care when fighters aren't actually fighting?

I don't have an issue with their being stretches in how they fight with the star wars universe. But its plain terrible choreography to not have lightsaber attacks actually aimed at the person being attacked. And that's something only Duel of the Fates can claim to do throughout the entirety of the fight.

This has nothing to do with the suspension of disbelief. It doesn't mater what universe we're discussing. Fighters who attack should have attacks that could potentially harm their opponent, that's a principle in the star wars universe that every duel subscribes to save for the one which you consider the best duel in the saga.

Rockydonovang
*consider the best choreographed duel in the saga,

DarthAnt66
Am glad an intellectual like Kbro can educate us plebs on the art of fantasy laserfighting

DarthAnt66
FWI, the reason why they don't have the lightsabers always aimed to hit the opponent is because those are live actors swordfighting with metal props. You're not necessarily meant to freeze-frame it, just enjoy it. In your version, they'll have to purely use stunt-doubles, which wasn't possible for the TPM fight. Otherwise, Ray Park and Ewan may be put in a hospital for a year.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Am glad an intellectual like Kbro can educate us plebs on the art of fantasy laserfighting
Me too.

Ursumeles
**** off Kbro

Rockydonovang
In your version, they'll have to purely use stunt-doubles, which wasn't possible for the TPM fight. Otherwise, Ray Park and Ewan may be put in a hospital for a year.
Fair enough.

So they had stunt doubles available for Anakin vs Kenobi?

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Ursumeles
**** off Kbro
I was expecting a "kys".

I'm disappointed. sad

DarthAnt66
They managed to improve the prop lightsabers by then.

It wasn't as dangerous.

Zenwolf

You know, there were also two master fencers who did pull off a lightsaber fight that was really similar to what the PT was going with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4is7h_cgzI

So I mean yeah maybe the PT added some flare, but it's not too different from what was shown there, fast paced and energetic.

Even in the OT, duels got faster and faster.

DarthAnt66
Cool?

|King Joker|

Zenwolf
Cool?

I'm just putting forth evidence that the PT duels while embellishing a little bit, it's not like it's anything new.

DarthAnt66
The **** you talking about?

"New?" I never claimed that, but the video you linked was from ****ing 2015 regardless.

Begone.

Ursumeles
I was expecting a "kys".

I'm disappointed. sad Want a "kys" as Christmas present?

Zenwolf
The **** you talking about?

"New?" I never claimed that, but the video you linked was from ****ing 2015 regardless.

Begone.

I was agreeing with you, just adding onto what you said. Chill. I never said new?

DarthAnt66
mmm

confused

Oh, cool.

**** u tho

Zenwolf
mmm

confused

Oh, cool.

**** u tho

Nah it's my fault, I guess I should have specified clearer.

SunRazer
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Tier 1:
Luke vs Vader, RotJ
Sidious vs Maul and Savage, TCWS5

Tier 2:
Maul vs Kenobi and Jinn, TPM
Luke vs Vader, ESB
Dooku vs Anakin and Obi-Wan, TCWS6
Vader vs Ahsoka, Rebels
Anakin vs Obi-Wan, RotS

Tier 3
Grievous vs Ki Adi Mundi & co., CW
Anakin vs Ventress, CW
Kylo Ren and Rey vs Praetorian Guards, TLJ
Kenobi vs Maul and Savage, TCWS5
Anakin and Obi-Wan vs Dooku, RotS

Dooku vs Anakin/Obi-Wan in S6 and Ahsoka vs Vader are probably tier 3 for me, but otherwise I'm in agreement.

ares834
I'm going to restrict it to the films. It's just far too difficult when you include the cartoons.

1. Vader vs Luke (ESB)
2. Vader vs Luke (RotJ)
3. Kylo and Rey vs Praetorian Guards
4. Qui-gon and Obi-Wan vs Maul
5. Yoda vs Sidious
6. Rey vs Kylo
7. Anakin and Obi-Wan vs Dooku (RotS)
8. Anakin vs Obi-Wan
9. Obi-Wan vs Vader (ANH)
10. Grievous vs Obi-Wan

The Ellimist
If you want an in-universe rationalization for stage fighting: pre-cog and the Force change everything and make flashy moves a lot more plausible.

Rockydonovang
On phone, can't quote

@Joker:

Can we drop the whole, "this is subjective!" thing. Yes, it's subjective, as is literally any discussion regarding creative work. That doesn't mean we can't disagree about things and discuss why we disagree.

Anyway, my point is this: Yes, most lightsaver duels have a great degree of unrealistic maunevers. That doesn't mean these duels are equally unrealistic. For example, Anakin vs Kenobi has a stupid sequence where their spin their blade for several seconds before clashing.'That said, Anakin vs Kenobi, like just about any duel aside from the duel of the fates had a vast majority of attacks aimed at the opponent. Duel of the Fates on the other hand had virtually all its attacks aimed, at best, at an opposing lightsaber. This kikls the duel in my book because there's a lack of suspense of threat you expect from a fight.

If you value it looking cool over that, fine, we can agree to disagree, but let's not engage in false equivalencies.

The other duels in the saga, flashy or not, had attacks aimed at the opponent, hence it looked like they were actually fighting, The duel of the fates featured almost no attacks that could have harmed anyone, hence it didn't seem like they were fighting.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by The Ellimist
If you want an in-universe rationalization for stage fighting: pre-cog and the Force change everything and make flashy moves a lot more plausible.
That works.

ares834
TBH, with precog fights shouldn't have any flash and should end in mere seconds. But whatever, it's a movie.

|King Joker|
Can we drop the whole, "this is subjective!" thing. Yes, it's subjective, as is literally any discussion regarding creative work. That doesn't mean we can't disagree about things and discuss why we disagree. Discussing anything with you is like slamming my head against a brick wall, so pardon me if I'm not overly enthusiastic about continuing this utterly pointless conversation. Our criteria for a good fight are very different, so the only serious conclusion we should draw from this is that we both have different opinions on what makes a good fight and leave it that. Your whining is falling on deaf ears because I don't care about any of your overblown criticisms. I like the choreography, you don't; leave it at that and **** off.

Anyway, my point is this: Yes, most lightsaver duels have a great degree of unrealistic maunevers. That doesn't mean these duels are equally unrealistic. For example, Anakin vs Kenobi has a stupid sequence where their spin their blade for several seconds before clashing.'That said, Anakin vs Kenobi, like just about any duel aside from the duel of the fates had a vast majority of attacks aimed at the opponent. Duel of the Fates on the other hand had virtually all its attacks aimed, at best, at an opposing lightsaber. This kikls the duel in my book because there's a lack of suspense of threat you expect from a fight. I really don't notice some supposedly vast difference between the choreography of the Duel of Fates and other prequel fights in terms of where the lightsabers are aimed. There are a few notable examples of lightsabers aiming at lightsabers that are easy to point to in the Duel of Fates, but as a whole, I see no epidemic of wild swinging at air. Sorry.

If you value it looking cool over that, fine, we can agree to disagree, but let's not engage in false equivalencies. I'm not engaging in false equivalencies, lmfao. I'm saying that maybe your whining should be more evenly distributed.

The other duels in the saga, flashy or not, had attacks aimed at the opponent, hence it looked like they were actually fighting, The duel of the fates featured almost no attacks that could have harmed anyone, hence it didn't seem like they were fighting. I'll quote myself: "The idea that Maul and the Jedi were swinging at air during the "entirety of the fight" isn't something I'm even going to waste my time entertaining."

Now, for the love of God, go waste your time arguing with someone else.

DarthAnt66
**** off Joker. You low IQ people might not understand what's going on but Kbro has mastered a full understanding of choreography after watching half of one video on YouTube. Now, stop being an ungrateful **** and accept the fact that the swordfighting is objectively god-awful because The Expert (TM) with an IQ over 45 (yeah, I gasped too) says so.

The Ellimist
kbro(?) is kinda right, as in I would prefer a halfway point between PT flashiness and OT "realism" (even if it wasn't that realistic). The exception is with Yoda ofc.

|King Joker|

samappo
Why do you call him Kbro ?

Azronger
That's his name on Comic Vine

Rockydonovang
Originallys posted by DarthAnt66
**** off Joker. You low IQ people might not understand what's going on but Kbro has mastered a full understanding of choreography after watching half of one video on YouTube. Now, stop being an ungrateful **** and accept the fact that the swordfighting is objectively god-awful because The Expert (TM) with an IQ over 45 (yeah, I gasped too) says so. Sarcasm should be subtle bud. Otherwise you give the impression of an emotionally unstable 17 year old...

DarthAnt66
Still not understanding the "bud" or "17 year old" insults when you're also that age but have the self-admitted IQ of a 7 year old Down syndrome kid.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
laughing out loud

Rebel95
Movies only
1. Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader (Empire Strikes Back)
2. Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader (Return of the Jedi)
3. Anakin Skywalker vs. Count Dooku (Revenge of the Sith)
4. Obi Wan vs. Anakin/Yoda vs. Sidious (Revenge of the Sith)
5. Kylo Ren and Rey vs. Praetorian Guards (The Last Jedi)
6. Darth Maul vs. Qui Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi (The Phantom Menace)
7. Darth Sidious vs. Mace Windu (Revenge of the Sith)
8. Yoda vs. Count Dooku (Attack of the Clones)
9. Kylo Ren vs. Finn and Rey (The Force Awakens)
10. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. General Grievous
11. Anakin and Obi-Wan vs. Count Dooku (Attack of the Clones)
12. Darth Vader vs. Ben Kenobi (A New Hope)

The Ellimist
Still not understanding the "bud" or "17 year old" insults when you're also that age but have the self-admitted IQ of a 7 year old Down syndrome kid.

Self admitted? Am I missing some context here?

Azronger
IIRC he did an IQ test with Skillz and got 80, and has admitted to having special needs.

The Ellimist
tbf you can score lowly on sections of an IQ test without being dumb overall (like someone with dyslexia taking a reading test).

Azronger
He is insanely retarded though.

Ursumeles
"Retarded" triggers him Az. sad

Rockydonovang
“17 year old” wasn’t the insult buddy.

My IQ isn’t particularly relevant to you being more emotionally unstable than the fictional characters you get pissed over.

It’s telling you can only insult me on my innate ability, rather than how I apply my abilities.

The Ellimist
It feels weird to see that ant is 17 already

Trocity
If we're counting the tv shows too, ventress vs anakin in ocw is my fav sw duel that one could watch.

Rockydonovang
The hell is up with my post?

I saw that whole accented bullshit, edited it, saw it be fine in the edit box, fine when i reposted it, and then it reverted to nonsense when i opened another window.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.